HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   OT: NHL Tonight Fail (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1200983)

Ron 06-03-2012 12:03 AM

NHL Tonight Fail

This **** is absolutely unwatchable.

I know there were some comments made in the PGT on game 1, but I thought this deserved its own thread.

For a production that was so successful and so enjoyable for me to watch on a nightly basis all season long and for the first three rounds of these playoffs, they have failed and indeed, failed miserably with their Stanley Cup coverage.

For me, it really is a simple formula. You go with what got you there: lots of highlights and commenting in the background on by two knowledgeable analysts.

But they have opted to drop that format with an on-location five-talking-heads nuclear disaster who repeat each other repeatedly and back-slap and glad-hand each other until I must run into the restroom and retch.

You should never mess with success. Just ask the Kings in these playoffs.

DAkings20 06-03-2012 12:07 AM

I don't mind it, at least it's not Fred Roggin and his junior high production on NBC.

Nefarious 06-03-2012 12:07 AM

Yeah, most coverage has been an epic fail, especially NBC. I choose not to watch all the other garbage. Unfortunately for me, NBC is the only feed I get on my TV. :(

reset 06-03-2012 12:42 AM

agreed

cant stand mike johnson also

TonySCV 06-03-2012 12:42 AM

I've enjoyed their coverage.

niomosy 06-03-2012 02:27 AM

At least they're not talking about Doty and Kopidor.

Maynard 06-03-2012 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonySCV (Post 50452101)

You and me both son.

It's all Kings love. No real ref drama. No real cheapshots for them to be talking about (so far). Just ex pros and analysts fellating our team

Enjoy it

Sydor25 06-03-2012 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonySCV (Post 50452101)

Exactly.

It's June 3rd and they are talking about the ****ing Los Angeles Kings. How crazy is that? The NJ fans are going out of their minds with how much love the Kings are getting from the media. It's beautiful.

Maynard 06-03-2012 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sydor25 (Post 50453913)
Exactly.

It's June 3rd and they are talking about the ****ing Los Angeles Kings. How crazy is that? The NJ fans are going out of their minds with how much love the Kings are getting from the media. It's beautiful.

They showed Deboer's presser and interviewed Bro-dewer and the rest was all King love.

Tough to understand how a Kings fan would dislike any of this.

Just sayin'.

DocWest 06-03-2012 02:46 AM

I don't get the anger either, it's nothing but praise for the Kings. How can anybody hate that?

Thrice 06-03-2012 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron (Post 50451073)

I know there were some comments made in the PGT on game 1, but I thought this deserved its own thread.

For a production that was so successful and so enjoyable for me to watch on a nightly basis all season long and for the first three rounds of these playoffs, they have failed and indeed, failed miserably with their Stanley Cup coverage.

For me, it really is a simple formula. You go with what got you there: lots of highlights and commenting in the background on by two knowledgeable analysts.

But they have opted to drop that format with an on-location five-talking-heads nuclear disaster who repeat each other repeatedly and back-slap and glad-hand each other until I must run into the restroom and retch.

You should never mess with success. Just ask the Kings in these playoffs.

There is one single game available every other day. Beyond that, there have been 6 total goals scored in two games. How many highlights do you think there are to discuss.

Yes, I could do without Darren Pang but Doug Weight has been a fine addition.

hauspaint 06-03-2012 03:19 AM

my only complain is that I'm not getting Bob and Jim for the game...

Ron 06-03-2012 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maynard (Post 50453899)
You and me both son.

It's all Kings love. No real ref drama. No real cheapshots for them to be talking about (so far). Just ex pros and analysts fellating our team

Enjoy it

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maynard (Post 50453945)
They showed Deboer's presser and interviewed Bro-dewer and the rest was all King love.

Tough to understand how a Kings fan would dislike any of this.

Just sayin'.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DocWest (Post 50454057)
I don't get the anger either, it's nothing but praise for the Kings. How can anybody hate that?

These three posts in particular completely miss my point in the OP. I am not commenting on whether the Kings are getting "love," and whether I should enjoy the creaming process, but rather the quality of the production itself. I will admit it was better after game 2 than game 1, but still it seemed more about banter more than actual analysis.

Some of you guys seem to really get off on all this "love," and I can understand it to a point. I used to love hearing people cream about my team, but never experienced it outside of the Lakers. As I have gotten older I find that I couldn't care less what others say or did about my team, and that includes this Kings team and this incredible run. This has always been my team, love them or hate them, and it precludes Johnny-come-lately announcers and analysts who just happen to have to talk about them now because they are in the Stanley Cup Final.

To the bigger picture of actual coverage, I was looking at some of the New Jersey threads after game 2, and a number of Devil fans are hating on the announcers for what they consider biased coverage in favor of the Kings. I noticed some Kings fans here were also sensitive to what they considered biased coverage in favor of the Devils. "Gushing" about one team's play over the other is not "bias" but merely the announcers' attempts to generate interest among bandwagon fans that happen to be looking into the national coverage of the Stanley Cup Final (it isn't working; these games, I would imagine, are very boring to the uninitiated).

Ron 06-03-2012 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thrice (Post 50454117)
There is one single game available every other day. Beyond that, there have been 6 total goals scored in two games. How many highlights do you think there are to discuss.

As I said, they were better after game 2 then game 1; game 1 was atrocious.

And Weight was better too, but he still hogged the mike way too much.

TonySCV 06-03-2012 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thrice (Post 50454117)

Right... let's face it, Game 1 there was almost nothing to analyze. It was brutal to watch. The ice was terrible which nullified almost all of the skill and speed of the game. Hard to provide analysis when you know damn well the ice affected play in a significant way. The arena conditions sucked the life out of the game.

The analysis was better in game 2 because there was far more to analyze.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron (Post 50455133)
I was looking at some of the New Jersey threads after game 2, and a number of Devil fans are hating on the announcers for what they consider biased coverage in favor of the Kings. I noticed some Kings fans here were also sensitive to what they considered biased coverage in favor of the Devils.

Which is indicator #1 that the coverage was neutral overall. :)

NHL coverage was a speck of dirt a few years ago compared to the avalanche available to us now. If you don't like NHL network's coverage there are a plethora of other options available.

saintsnsoldiers 06-03-2012 05:09 PM

Thought its been pretty good, not to bias. And panger with his goofy teeth...pretty funny. Pretty good panel of people. I do watch Kings Live first though.