HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Speculation: Jonathan Bernier (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1201239)

Fan of The Game 06-03-2012 01:39 PM

Jonathan Bernier

Will the Kings move Bernier over the summer?

A high quality tandem of 3.05 million is not a bad option to take.

LA has Stoll, Fraser, Parse, Loktionov, Westgarth, Penner, and Hunter coming up in free agency in some fashion.

I don't follow the Kings all that much but the Kings don't need to bring in a top 6 forward this year. Gagne can fill that role. No one on the defense is coming to free agency.

With Quick and Bernier's contracts coming up next season, would it not be wise to keep Bernier up until at least the trade deadline or until Quick's contract is extended?

Bernier's name has been in rumors of late, but what are the odds LA tries to move him. First time posting in this particular forum. So if I have made an error I apologize in advance.

Bish Please 06-03-2012 01:41 PM

I fully expect Tampa Bay to offer anything short of Stamkos and Hedman to get him.

Blackhawkswincup 06-03-2012 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fan of The Game (Post 50463517)

LA has Stoll, Fraser, Parse, Loktionov, Westgarth, Penner, and Hunter coming up in free agency in some fashion.

I don't follow the Kings all that much but the Kings don't need to bring in a top 6 forward this year. Gagne can fill that role. No one on the defense is coming to free agency.

With Quick and Bernier's contracts coming up next season, would it not be wise to keep Bernier up until at least the trade deadline or until Quick's contract is extended?

Bernier's name has been in rumors of late, but what are the odds LA tries to move him. First time posting in this particular forum. So if I have made an error I apologize in advance.

IMO Bernier's development is not being helped by getting minimal playing time behind Quick and the Kings have no guarantee tha this value wont drop in coming year

If they get a good offer they should take it

CommonMeans* 06-03-2012 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup (Post 50463607)
IMO Bernier's development is not being helped by getting minimal playing time behind Quick and the Kings have no guarantee tha this value wont drop in coming year

If they get a good offer they should take it

I agree. I think LA is in a very tricky spot right now. Due, in part, to Quick's excellent play Bernier really hasn't been given a chance to showcase his potential. As a result, his value may be lower than what it should be.

Having said that, given that they're up 2-0 in the SCF I'm sure it's the furthest thing from their mind right now :p

tp71 06-03-2012 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nacho Labrie (Post 50463603)
I fully expect Tampa Bay to offer anything short of Stamkos and Hedman to get him.

I can almost guarantee he won't.

Yzlamic Preacher 06-03-2012 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tp71 (Post 50463833)

Well within reason. What do you think he will offer?

KingCanadain1976 06-03-2012 02:12 PM

OK here we go again ill post this now so i don't have to later. At some point in this thread someone will bring up his stats and say hes over rated. The only stat i find reasonable to pay attension to is the 5 shoutouts in 48 nhl games. The stat is pretty damn good considering hes playing once every 3 weeks. Goalies need work to stay effective. If u watch him play you know hes ready to start on a team. He has bring brought along slow only to see quick ahead of him and do a wonderful job starting. Hes had great numbers at every level hes played at final year of him in the ahl had a 2.03 gaa 936 save% all he needs is a place to start . He is the best avialable option out there Hes still signed cheap and will be rfa after it. Everyother goalie out there is going to eat cap space and if they dont work out ur stuck with them for years with bernier ur rid of him in a year. As afar as him being avialable yes he is but he isnt going to be given away. we would be fine with him as a back up next year.

KingCanadain1976 06-03-2012 02:16 PM

Now on to the tampa offer there was a thread going a few days ago where there was a few offers
a) bernier muzzin for connelly and 19th overall
b) bernier martinez muzzin for connelly 10 and 19th
c) talk of bernier for malone ( to this i said malone already said he would use his nmc to stay)

I think i maybe missing one but this was the general talk in the thread For me i love and would be happy with B

TOGuy14 06-03-2012 02:20 PM

Quote:

I guess that's good logic, if Quick plans on resigning for $1.8m again. I'd bank on something a lot closer to 6 or 6.5, maybe as high as 7 if they win the cup...

GordieHoweHatTrick 06-03-2012 02:25 PM

It's too early. Bernier will be a LA King for at least another year. Quick becomes a UFA next off-season and the Kings will see where they stand with both goalies then.

/thread

Fan of The Game 06-03-2012 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOGuy14 (Post 50464977)
I guess that's good logic, if Quick plans on resigning for $1.8m again. I'd bank on something a lot closer to 6 or 6.5, maybe as high as 7 if they win the cup...

I'm referring to next season. Getting a backup the quality of Bernier in the case of injury is not likely. A decision will have to be made next season and of course Quick will be getting a nice pay increase.

Puckclektr 06-03-2012 02:26 PM

I can see one of NJ, Edm or TB going after him.

NJ involving one or two of-Tedenby, Merrill, Wedgwood, Kinkaid, Burlon etc. Without a first this year I don't expect NJ to give up a 2nd.
EDM around Paajarvi_svensson +

KingCanadain1976 06-03-2012 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOGuy14 (Post 50464977)

just so u know hes already signed next year. The resigning would be a extention onto his contract so the 3.05 million is correct for next year.

tp71 06-03-2012 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stryfe604 (Post 50464019)
Well within reason. What do you think he will offer?

What I mean by it, is I don't believe Yzerman will offer anything. He'll go free agency. My bets are on Vokoun or Harding. I'm leaning more towards Harding being a Lightning next year.

Finnish Your Czechs 06-03-2012 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tp71 (Post 50463833)

An "almost" guarantee means nothing

Puckclektr 06-03-2012 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick (Post 50465111)
It's too early. Bernier will be a LA King for at least another year. Quick becomes a UFA next off-season and the Kings will see where they stand with both goalies then.

/thread

Becasue your'e an inside source?

The "/thread" is kind of like the slow clap. Should only be used when the time is right. Unfortunalty in this case, you would be the only one still clapping.

KingCanadain1976 06-03-2012 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puckclektr (Post 50465131)
I can see one of NJ, Edm or TB going after him.

NJ involving one or two of-Tedenby, Merrill, Wedgwood, Kinkaid, Burlon etc. Without a first this year I don't expect NJ to give up a 2nd.
EDM around Paajarvi_svensson +

well i agree that nj wouldnt give up there frist this year theres always next year lol id do a tedenby frist in 13

edmonton is tricky i personally would do a mvp 2nd and omark since noone there seem to want him. I really dont see edmonton and la trading again while dean is still the gm Since i dont see him being fired anytime soon. I doubt this trade happens

KingCanadain1976 06-03-2012 02:34 PM

Quote:

Not that it matters that much but Loktionov is signed one more year

tp71 06-03-2012 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Finnish Your Czechs (Post 50465251)
An "almost" guarantee means nothing

Well, should I write it as 90% sure then, just for an arbitrary effect? I'm 90% sure he will go the free agency route. I put almost because you never know. He may get a sweetheart deal (he won't) but you never know. I fully expect him to dip into the free agent market on July 1.

thebluemachine* 06-03-2012 02:35 PM

Won't be moved imo, LA can sit tight as Bernier still has another year on his RFA contract. Why wouldn't you hold onto a Quick/Bernier one two punch? Plus their team is already stacked as well and has lots of cap space.

Muzzinga 06-03-2012 02:42 PM

won't be moved, arguably the best tandem in the league (assuming Thomas/Luongo aren't with their respective teams next year) for 3mill is too good. It would take an overpayment for him to be moved, not just a fair value hockey trade

2 Weekes Notice 06-03-2012 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tp71 (Post 50465219)
What I mean by it, is I don't believe Yzerman will offer anything. He'll go free agency. My bets are on Vokoun or Harding. I'm leaning more towards Harding being a Lightning next year.

Anything to back up your gut feeling, or?

Lots of dots to connect around the Bernier to Tampa stuff, not least of which is Al Murray, former Kings director of scouting (and driving force behind picking Bernier in the first place) taking the position of Lightning director of scouting within the last two years.

Yzerman's media comments were mostly about finding a younger guy. He recently said something about trying to trade for a goalie, but resorting to free agency if he had to. But people can read into it what they will.

Link here

Personally, I think the mention of there being two teams left in the playoffs means LA is on his mind, but I majored in strategic communications in college so I might be inclined to read into rhetoric a bit too heavily as well :laugh:

KingCanadain1976 06-03-2012 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebluemachine (Post 50465439)
Won't be moved imo, LA can sit tight as Bernier still has another year on his RFA contract. Why wouldn't you hold onto a Quick/Bernier one two punch? Plus their team is already stacked as well and has lots of cap space.

Well my answer is simple the kings have no picks in the frist 3 round and need a young scoring winger.Bernier is the best asset we have to trade. Plus we have goalies ready to play to 20 ish games a year coming from minors Jeff Zatkoff or Martin Jones With the years of bad goalies we ve had im happy to say we can finally use goalies we developed.

Socratic Method Man 06-03-2012 02:52 PM

I like Bernier, but there a couple points one would probably want to consider when dealing for him. He's listed at 5'11 on the Kings tsn website & hockeydatabase. There have been terrific goalies at this height, but those extra couple inches (or so) make such a big difference in reach and covering the top of the net with the shoulders.

Now Bernier's already proven that he's very skilled, and can overcome the height disadvantage at the AHL level, winning the goalie-of-the-year award. That is impressive.

But still, there is quite a leap from the AHL level to the NHL level. Last year he only got 25 games (and completed 22 of them), and posted a 91.3 sv%. That's decent but not spectacular, particularly on a very defensive team such as the Kings.

This year, he posted a 90.8 sv%, and was given only 16 games (13 he completed).

There was speculation that the GM wanted to give him games to inflate his value towards the end of the year but the coach wouldn't play him because
1)Quick was playing terrific
2)Bernier was not
3)The coach was trying to make the playoffs (8th seed)

He's a skilled goalie, and has nowhere to go but up. But he is pretty unproven which is something a GM has to consider.

tp71 06-03-2012 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2 Weekes Notice (Post 50465751)
Anything to back up your gut feeling, or?

Lots of dots to connect around the Bernier to Tampa stuff, not least of which is Al Murray, former Kings director of scouting (and driving force behind picking Bernier in the first place) taking the position of Lightning director of scouting within the last two years.

Yzerman's media comments were mostly about finding a younger guy. He recently said something about trying to trade for a goalie, but resorting to free agency if he had to. But people can read into it what they will.

Link here

Personally, I think the mention of there being two teams left in the playoffs means LA is on his mind, but I majored in strategic communications in college so I might be inclined to read into rhetoric a bit too heavily as well :laugh:

"My philosophy is Im trying to find that Hall of Fame goaltender. But good luck trying to do that, it takes time. Well find that guy through the draft or unrestricted free agency that guy isnt there at this time."

That's the quote I'm going off of from Yzerman.

Basically saying, I don't think Bernier is "the hall of fame goaltender" he's talking about. I don't see him going after him, but you never know, that's why again I said almost guarantee.

Vokoun or Harding gives him a couple of solid options for the time being until he finds his guy.