HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   News Article: In Hockey Enforcer’s Descent, a Flood of Prescription Drugs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1201609)

17futurecap 06-04-2012 02:09 AM

In Hockey Enforcer’s Descent, a Flood of Prescription Drugs

Another sad NY Times story on Boog's father trying to figure out how his son was prescribed so many pills. Worth the long read when you get a chance fellow posters.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/04/sp...3jW/jGKZ5uxu4A

RangerFan10 06-04-2012 03:39 AM

If they haven't already, they oughta fire the guy that prescribed "nearly" 10 prescriptions of ambien to him despite knowing of his past addictions. THat's a huge red flag that there's a culture of prescription drug abuse in the NHL we may not know much about.

Kreider Typical 06-04-2012 04:19 AM

guys should all have their licenses revoked over this at the least... not to mention malpractice lawsuits and an investigation. pretty much just glorified drug dealers.

real shame is every organization in the sport probably does it.

HeaveHo94 06-04-2012 08:30 AM

in my hey day I saw up to 7 docs a month for 9 years. some were so shady. u could tell them what u wanted.
they need the data base ASAP to track prescriptions.

mandiblesofdoom 06-04-2012 09:39 AM

Excellent article. Kudos to his dad for getting all the info.

Really a sad story.

UsernameWasTaken 06-04-2012 09:51 AM

Wow...it's really sad what happened...and quite jawdropping that the doctors kept prescribing all that medication even knowing his addiction history.

Quote:

A trove of documents, compiled by Boogaard’s father, offer a rare prescription-by-prescription history of the care given to a prominent, physically ailing athlete who struggled with addiction to some of the very drugs the team doctors were providing. The scores of prescriptions came before and after Boogaard’s entry into the league’s substance-abuse program in September 2009 for an addiction to painkillers and sleeping pills.

Among the findings:

¶ In a six-month stretch from October 2008 to April 2009, while playing 51 games, Boogaard received at least 25 prescriptions for the painkillers hydrocodone or oxycodone, a total of 622 pills, from 10 doctors — eight team doctors of the Wild, an oral surgeon in Minneapolis and a doctor for another N.H.L. team.

¶ In the fall of 2010, an official for the Rangers, Boogaard’s new team, was notified of Boogaard’s recurring abuse of narcotic pain pills. Nonetheless, a Rangers team dentist soon wrote the first of five prescriptions for hydrocodone for Boogaard after he sustained an injury.

¶ Another Rangers doctor, although aware that Boogaard also had been addicted to sleeping pills in the past, wrote nearly 10 prescriptions for Ambien during Boogaard’s lone season with the team.

The records reveal the ease with which Boogaard received prescription drugs — often shortly after sending a text message to a team doctor’s cellphone and without a notation made in team medical files. They also show the breadth of the drugs being prescribed, from flu medications and decongestants to antidepressants and anti-anxiety pills.

Most striking, though, are the narcotic painkillers and sleeping pills, which Boogaard had a history of abusing.

arunnair87 06-04-2012 11:45 AM

The problem with it honestly is there's no nationwide system to track prescriptions. Someone could just go to 10 different doctors complaining of the same issue and then go to 10 different pharmacies. None of the doctors would ever know, and neither would any of the pharmacists.

As a pharmacist, there's little one can do except guess on who you think is abusing their medication and not fill their prescription. The only problem with this tactic is the person will just go to another pharmacy. And when you are a small mom-and-pop store, it is hard to turn away any business.

Bleed Ranger Blue 06-04-2012 11:56 AM

Boogaard's father can go after the doctor's if he wants, but one shouldnt forget that a major reason Boogaard was prescribed so many pills is because he wanted them.

Lion Hound 06-04-2012 12:13 PM

I know of an attorney on Long Island who is trying to build a case on the matter. Won't be good for the NHL.

NYRKindms 06-04-2012 12:31 PM

What is crazy is the amount of "dentists" that show up in this article. I didn't even know a dentist could prescribe heavy opiates (makes sense kind of but). It just seems shady.

Miamipuck 06-04-2012 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYRKindms (Post 50496619)
What is crazy is the amount of "dentists" that show up in this article. I didn't even know a dentist could prescribe heavy opiates (makes sense kind of but). It just seems shady.

Geez I had to tell my Oral surgeon ( he is both an MD and a DDS) I didn't need Vicodin as I didn't use the prescription for the 1st part of a procedure, let alone a much less invasive 2nd part. DDS's can prescribe pain killers.

The problem is you can have 10 different Dr's prescribing the same thing. My wife is ill and she literally has 25+ prescriptions she requires on a daily basis. One drug reaction almost killed her, she was in ICU for 10+ days. That was with Dr's that know the different drugs she was taking.

Can you imagine a drug addict and him keeping the Dr's in the dark, he would be able to literally get 100 prescriptions from different pharmacies. Now imagine a professional athlete, is a doc going to say no?

ThisYearsModel 06-04-2012 12:52 PM

What a sad story.

Homeland Security 06-04-2012 12:55 PM

Wow. That's what the medical field has become, pills, pills, pills and more pills. Rarely do Dr's tackle the actual root of the problem. Everything nowadays has a pill.

A loss that could have been prevented.

SwedishBullet62 06-04-2012 12:57 PM

How are these guys still licensed this has to be some kind of malpractice, I can see him abusing the stuff of he's getting it off the street but when it's coming from 9 different team doctors writing prescriptions at a whim without even looking into his file or whatever else he's taking at the time is just rediculous. These guys are surely getting paid more then enough money to do their jobs right and cover all bases before just handing a guy with a known problem that was at one point looking for help the individual pieces to what ended up being essentially a ticking time bomb. Really a sad story because although these doctors made it so easy for him to acquire the stuff but there was help readily available to him that essentially failed him in the end, of he knows about the drug test days in advance why even give it to him you know he's got a problem and is going to cheat it:shakehead

OverTheCap 06-04-2012 01:09 PM

The Rangers should cut ties with those team doctors who prescribed Boogaard painkillers and Ambien even though they were aware that he had abused these pills in the past.

Also, I guess the Rangers organization could have done a better job of overseeing that their team doctors weren't enabling Boogaard. There are lot of risks and responsibilities associated with taking on a player with substance abuse issues, and I don't think the team nor their doctors were really prepared for it. Just a disappointing and sad story all around.

vipernsx 06-04-2012 02:02 PM

As sad as this story is, you have to see it for what it really is and that's the failure of the American Medical system. We've become a medical society where doctor's treat symptoms with a prescription. Prescriptions they're advised to write by pharmaceutical reps who come in and buy their office lunch. Doctor's don't truly know their patients individually anymore, sure they'll have a general understanding but they don't know them fully until they look in their file. They're rates are determined by insurance companies and they're forced to see far too many patients in order to stay profitable.

An addict can quickly learn how to manipulate this system to their advantage, especially when he's paying cash for everything. The only person watching all medical activity on a person is the insurance company paying for it. Try getting multiple scripts filled for the same drug within 30 days on insurance, it's not going to happen. That doesn't mean you can't pay cash by going to different pharmacies and telling each doctor your in level 8, 9, or 10 pain so they just write you another script.

Hind sight is always 20/20.

JayQueensNY88* 06-04-2012 02:12 PM

This is one persons fault and ita Boogards..end of story!

Miamipuck 06-04-2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayQueensNY88 (Post 50500819)

Well that's it then, lock the thread.

BlueshirtBlitz 06-04-2012 03:03 PM

There's a bigger problem that goes beyond the scope of the NHL. Simple as that.

silverfish 06-04-2012 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz (Post 50502865)

Agreed (I'm not sure if this is what you were inferring but...) when it comes to human life the game needs to be set aside. It took people too long to make Derek get help, and unfortunately led to his demise. You have to think if the Rangers knew about Derek's problems before they signed him, considering what the article said about Risebrough...

There's a point where you need to realize that it's not a business when it comes to some of these guys, and apparently, Glen couldn't do that.

Quote:

Two days later, Derek called his father and, according to Len Boogaard, complained that General Manager Glen Sather had called him into his office, demanding the truth and threatening to trade him.
If this quoted passage is 100% true, that's a tragedy of human life right there. I understand Glen's a businessman, and a shrewd one at that...but there's got to be a point.

I think the Boogaard tragedy, is in fact that, because it could have been avoided with the effort of all parties. The doctors, all of them, team management, and of course, Derek himself.

RIP Boogie Man

Stugots 06-04-2012 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arunnair87 (Post 50494711)
The problem with it honestly is there's no nationwide system to track prescriptions. Someone could just go to 10 different doctors complaining of the same issue and then go to 10 different pharmacies. None of the doctors would ever know, and neither would any of the pharmacists.

As a pharmacist, there's little one can do except guess on who you think is abusing their medication and not fill their prescription. The only problem with this tactic is the person will just go to another pharmacy. And when you are a small mom-and-pop store, it is hard to turn away any business.

Truth. I've worked at a mom and pop pharmacy throughout high school, college, and now grad school to earn some extra spending $$ and I've had the exact same experience. I live in a close-knit area where everyone knows each other so when someone we've never seen before hands us a script for a control drug we turn them away most of the time. We've actually stopped carrying several painkillers due to the recent robbery-homicides that have happened on LI. Prescription drug abuse goes FAR beyond the NHL. It is a rampant problem.

Placid 06-04-2012 07:41 PM

Very sad reading :/

Granted, it was Boogards responsibility, but they sure didnt make it hard for him either.

vipernsx 06-05-2012 10:48 AM

Quote:

It's not wrong to want to help someone in need and it's the job of medical professionals to help people and see to their well being.

BlueshirtBlitz says it best.
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz (Post 50502865)

EEDAWGZ 06-05-2012 10:57 AM

Oh please , drug dealers/pharmacists only care about money, not the well being of the person buying it , all ethics go out the window when it comes to money, not shocked by this story

Drewbackatu* 06-07-2012 12:35 PM

Quote:

The blame may lie with Boogard but you have to scratch your head how/why our senile old g.m. doesn't exercise an ounce of due dilligence and common sense when signing a guy with a major drug problem to a 4 year, $6.6 mil deal? Kind of the same ******** scenario when he signed another ticking timebomb in Fleury years ago.

I can't believe this ****in imbecile is still employed as our g.m. by the Rangers after all these years; pathetic!