HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Florida Panthers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   TSN: Off-Season Game Plan: Florida Panthers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1201725)

SoupyFIN 06-04-2012 10:38 AM

Off-Season Game Plan: Florida Panthers

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=397588

Quote:

What shouldn't come as a surprise is that the Panthers overachieved because their new head coach, Kevin Dineen, made a career of doing just that. A tough, blue-collar player who was drafted in the third round, Dineen was a two-time 40-goal scorer who tallied 355 career goals in 1188 career NHL games. That he finds a way to extract the most from his players, then, shouldn't be altogether surprising.

Even if that is one of Dineen's gifts as a coach, he has a roster that needs to be upgraded if the Panthers are going to remain contenders. Long-term, the picture is promising, with a good list of prospects in the system, ready to make an impact in the next few seasons.
Quote:

After signing several free agents to long-term contracts last summer, the Panthers ought to be wary about handing out such contracts this time around, since there is no need to block the path of their top prospects. That should make Tallon's work this summer even more challenging, but that's the delicate balance that the Panthers are dealing with as they wait for the future, but try not to ignore the present.
On UFAs:

Quote:

The Panthers could definitely use more skill up front and they do have a healthy group of prospects -- led by Jonathan Huberdeau -- on the way, but if they are looking to make more immediate improvement, free agents like ex-Panthers Olli Jokinen and Kristian Huselius or others, including Andrei Kostitsyn and Kyle Wellwood could help in the short-term while the Panthers wait for their prospects to arrive.
Quote:

If the Panthers lose Jason Garrison, who tallied an impresive 16 goals from the blueline last season, there may be a need to add a more proven veteran defenceman in free agency. Free agents Shane O'Brien and Aaron Rome both played in the AHL for Kevin Dineen and could come at a reasonable price.
Quote:

Needs: Three top six forwards, one top four defenceman, backup goaltender

TRADE MARKET Shawn Matthias, Jack Skille, prospects.
Discuss.

I May Be Wrong 06-04-2012 10:48 AM

I would hope for a better player coming in on the blueline if it is indeed the case that Garrison heads out. Kyle Wellwood/Stoll/Kostitsyn are about the names I'd expect for us in the FA market this season barring any savvy trading Tallon does at the draft. We've got to address our center problem first and foremost. Would prefer doing that via trade somehow.

SoupyFIN 06-04-2012 11:00 AM

If Garrison leaves, I have a feeling we would roll with what we have already and look to replace his shot on the PP- and there's no better RH d-man with a booming shot than Salo out there. While he's not the same player that he was a few years ago, he's still solid defensively and owns that huge shot. Aaand he stayed relatively healthy for almost a full season this year.

Guds-Soupy (Salo-Soupy on PP)
Kulikov-Weaver
Jovo/Salo-Ellerby

I have to disagree with TSN though, three top6 forwards? Where the hell does that 3rd guy slot, the two others presumably being Huber and a 2nd line C (Jokinen?).

Boothinator 06-04-2012 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Booootthh (Post 50492323)
I would hope for a better player coming in on the blueline if it is indeed the case that Garrison heads out. Kyle Wellwood/Stoll/Kostitsyn are about the names I'd expect for us in the FA market this season barring any savvy trading Tallon does at the draft. We've got to address our center problem first and foremost. Would prefer doing that via trade somehow.

I would like Stoll in our lineup. I think he is a tallon type guy with character

SoupyFIN 06-04-2012 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boothinator (Post 50493133)
I would like Stoll in our lineup. I think he is a tallon type guy with character

Too much $ IMO. Even though he didn't have an impressive (at least statwise, but I think his role is more on the D-side) season and hasn't been a scoring machine in the playoffs, some team is bound to overpay him with the thin UFA center crop, which we can't afford to do.

Also he's at that point in a player's career where he's going to look for more security with a long term contract (I'm expecting 5 years at least) especially if he ends up winning the SC. I doubt DT is ready to offer him that, especially with a large caphit.

angry_treefrog 06-04-2012 11:29 AM

As time goes by, I'm more inclined to consider bringing Jokinen back on a very short term contract (1-2 years).

We really, really need a top 6 center... especially if Huberdeau is brought in at wing. I don't think you will find better bang for the buck in UFA than Jokinen.

SoupyFIN 06-04-2012 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angry_treefrog (Post 50494033)
As time goes by, I'm more inclined to consider bringing Jokinen back on a very short term contract (1-2 years).

We really, really need a top 6 center... especially if Huberdeau is brought in at wing. I don't think you will find better bang for the buck in UFA than Jokinen.

Agreed. And I don't think we'd find a more perfect fit than him, since Jokinen is more of a shoot-first guy and Huber a playmaker. Add the human cannonball Upshall to that line and it's bound to bring some havoc.

Laus723 06-04-2012 01:43 PM

Don't agree with those names, especially on D. Stoll is a possibility, though, I guess.

Dineen Youngblood 06-04-2012 02:14 PM

I wonder what it would take to lure Stastny away from Colorado...Huber and Stastny would be sick.

SoupyFIN 06-04-2012 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dineen Youngblood (Post 50500883)
I wonder what it would take to lure Stastny away from Colorado...Huber and Stastny would be sick.

From what I've decoded, the general consensus among Avs fans are that he would have been dealt ages ago if their owner(s) weren't so cheap, because his caphit brings the Avs just above the capfloor. :dunno:

Clint 06-04-2012 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angry_treefrog (Post 50494033)

That's blasphemy 'round these parts.

nhlfan9191 06-04-2012 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoupyFIN (Post 50493521)
Too much $ IMO. Even though he didn't have an impressive (at least statwise, but I think his role is more on the D-side) season and hasn't been a scoring machine in the playoffs, some team is bound to overpay him with the thin UFA center crop, which we can't afford to do.

Also he's at that point in a player's career where he's going to look for more security with a long term contract (I'm expecting 5 years at least) especially if he ends up winning the SC. I doubt DT is ready to offer him that, especially with a large caphit.

I agree with you Soupy. He's likely going to be way to expensive. But he brings a lot to the table beyond scoring points and goals.

Pantherkidd101 06-04-2012 05:21 PM

I'd be happy with Jokinen.

angry_treefrog 06-04-2012 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clint (Post 50507127)
That's blasphemy 'round these parts.

With some.

The older I get, the less emotional I am in my decision making.

Jokinen has skills that we can use, and his stature in the locker room will be diminished to the point that he can't be a "cancer" if you feel he ever was one.

RainingRats 06-04-2012 06:49 PM

Jokinen and Hubs could be a great combo. I'm definitely for signing him. Realistically, we're not going to get a better center than him and if I had to guess, another team will sign him for more than we'd want to pay because of such a weak UFA market. After Parise, he's arguably the best forward left.

p9ers 06-06-2012 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoupyFIN (Post 50492925)
I have to disagree with TSN though, three top6 forwards? Where the hell does that 3rd guy slot, the two others presumably being Huber and a 2nd line C (Jokinen?).

He probably consider resigning Versteeg as adding one top 6 foward. So he would be right; Versteeg, Huberdeau + someone else.