HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Where can I play this fall? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1201909)

hishyB 06-04-2012 03:18 PM

Where can I play this fall?

I am 16 years old living in Toronto, sadly I only started playing real ice hockey a year ago(houseleague) . I know how to skate but I'm not the greatest skater and other than that my skills are average or maybe slightly below average. I want to play on a team that has practices and where the games are a little more competitive. I think I may have a couple of options, one of them being going on players wanted and searching for a A team looking for players (GTHL) but i doubt they'll take a guy who played a year of house. My other option may be to play on a AE team but I don't anything about AE hockey and when the teams are set :dunno:, so what are my other options?

TrueBlue86 06-04-2012 03:41 PM

make yourself eligible for the ohl draft

rayuelo 06-04-2012 03:42 PM

The 2012-2013 tryout season for GTHL rep teams finished a couple of weeks back. There may be some leagues that have tryouts for their Select teams later in the summer, so you should look check with the GTHL member clubs/leagues As you say, some teams may have openings so you could try contacting them.

gthlcanada.com or the little newspaper that they have at arena are the best resources to get League contact info.

I have to ask though ... if you are a beginner, and consider yourself of average or below in skill level, what is it about the league you played in last year that you didn't like?

It may be better to find a different house league that offers what you need, rather than to try to get on a competitive team at this point. The process to make it on to rep teams (even B, BB) is very competitive in the Toronto area.

Not to discourage you by any means, but there are skills programs/clinics you can enroll in, either through your House League, or through third-parties to supplement your training/practice.

Finally, if you're able to find a tryout (either this season somehow, or for sure next spring), go and do it, if only for the experience. They usually cost $10-$20 for an hour, and worst case, you get a clinic, and if you're lucky, you'll get asked to come back for the second round.

My kids, who've been playing HL for 3 and 4 years respectively went and checked out some tryouts to see what they're about. They are keen to go for it next year.

hishyB 06-04-2012 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueBlue86 (Post 50504475)
make yourself eligible for the ohl draft

haha:cry:

Nbr-17 06-05-2012 07:59 AM

GTHL tryouts start the Monday after the OHF championships, which this year was April 16th and go like this:
1. Monday to Friday AAA
2. Saturday to Wednesday AA
3. Thursday to Monday A
So tryouts are done since April 30th and there are no fall tryouts in the GTHL.

There is no AE in the GTHL. The equivalent would be HL select which plays in the NYHL.

Your best bet at this point would be to check the players wanted list:
GTHL Players Wanted page

Your other option would be to play HL in an organization that has a select team in your age group.
Best of luck.