HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Problem with skate sizing (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1202923)

esidebill 06-05-2012 11:36 PM

Problem with skate sizing

So I have a pair of Bauer One60s I use for a rec. league. They don't give my blisters and generally don't hurt. The problem is, I feel like I have too much room/ankle wobble in them. This was confirmed by a skate shop employee as well. When I went from my 9.5 to 9, it felt like the 9 was too cramped. Are there any skates that would fit more the 9.25 range? Any suggestions?

TrueBlue86 06-05-2012 11:58 PM

is your whole foot loose or just the ankle?

i've been told it's a good think to have more ankle mobility, as long as your heel is not shifting.

i actually leave the top eyelet empty on my skates just so my ankle can be looser. it helps a lot with the crossovers. it allows the skate to do more of the work and helps me lean forward when skating

esidebill 06-06-2012 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueBlue86 (Post 50574281)
is your whole foot loose or just the ankle?

i've been told it's a good think to have more ankle mobility, as long as your heel is not shifting.

i actually leave the top eyelet empty on my skates just so my ankle can be looser. it helps a lot with the crossovers. it allows the skate to do more of the work and helps me lean forward when skating

No, I suppose my heel doesn't lift, or at least I don't feel it lift. I've always liked having a bit of ankle mobility too, but sometimes I feel it might be too much. I might just be over thinking it.

Hank4Hart 06-06-2012 12:07 AM

grafs skates have different ankle fits.

and rbk pumps can let you adjust ankle fit any time

esidebill 06-06-2012 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hank4Hart (Post 50574457)
grafs skates have different ankle fits.

and rbk pumps can let you adjust ankle fit any time

I've looked into the RBK, but haven't tried on any. I apparently have a wide foot, so they might be an option. Does anyone wear a size 9 or 9.5 Reebok?

AIREAYE 06-06-2012 01:02 AM

Have you tried a stiffer skate that wraps around your foot better? What you're describing sounds like lateral support issues.

hockeymass 06-06-2012 07:39 AM

Not all skates fit the same. It's possible the Supreme line just isn't for you. Try on different skates.

esidebill 06-06-2012 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AIREAYE (Post 50575197)
Have you tried a stiffer skate that wraps around your foot better? What you're describing sounds like lateral support issues.

Yea I think that's what I need. Any suggestions on a skate like that?

lilphill23 06-06-2012 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esidebill (Post 50574837)
I've looked into the RBK, but haven't tried on any. I apparently have a wide foot, so they might be an option. Does anyone wear a size 9 or 9.5 Reebok?

I have the Rbk 6k in an 11 and I absolutely love these skates. Having the Pump feature is nice. It gives you the ability to adjust how much ankle lock you have in the skate.

AIREAYE 06-06-2012 11:49 AM

The bladder doesn't lock in your ankle though, it simply pushes into it and holds it.

lilphill23 06-06-2012 11:56 AM

true good point. But i do feel as though i have the best ankle lock in this skate than i have ever had in from any other skate that i have owned(bauer, CCM).

esidebill 06-06-2012 12:39 PM

The RBK sounds like a nice fit... I don't know what the life expectancy on those air pumps are, but a bit of extra ankle support isn't too bad.

Elever 06-06-2012 01:53 PM

I have this same problem with a new pair of VIC hockey roller blades I bought. The foot fits in fine and I can't go a size down. But when I'm skating around, my feet move too much from side to side and it's a little uncomfortable, plus it leaves a line on my leg at the top part of the skate. I'm gonna have to find a way to lace them up super tight and probably find one of those ankle pads that go up to the part where the skate goes on your leg.

nullterm 06-06-2012 01:54 PM

I have Reebok 6Ks. 8E. Nothing else was a decent fit.

The pump seems durable, no issue at all with it. It does a good job of supporting the ankle and easy to tune. The skate lock for the laces is another great feature.

My only complaint is the lining around the top of the skate is starting to fall apart. 1.5 years old, 2/3 a week, winter and summer seasons.

esidebill 06-06-2012 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nullterm (Post 50587193)
I have Reebok 6Ks. 8E.

The pump seems durable, no issue at all with it. It does a good job of supporting the ankle and easy to tune. The skate lock for the laces is another great feature.

My only complaint is the lining around the top of the skate is starting to fall apart. 1.5 years old, 2/3 a week, winter and summer seasons.

I've heard the construction on some of the lower end RBK skates is shoddy, but improved over the years. I'm going to look into some Eastons/RBKs soon enough if I can't find myself comfortable in the Supremes.

nullterm 06-06-2012 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esidebill (Post 50587433)
I've heard the construction on some of the lower end RBK skates is shoddy, but improved over the years. I'm going to look into some Eastons/RBKs soon enough if I can't find myself comfortable in the Supremes.

Yeah, I've been otherwise happy. Like I said, they were the best fit for my feet. Just wish they lasted better.

I might try a pair of Supreme One.7's (tried One70s before). Or upgrade to 9K's if the durability has improved or CCMs with their heatmolded foam.

esidebill 06-06-2012 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nullterm (Post 50587677)
Yeah, I've been otherwise happy. Like I said, they were the best fit for my feet. Just wish they lasted better.

I might try a pair of Supreme One.7's (tried One70s before). Or upgrade to 9K's if the durability has improved or CCMs with their heatmolded foam.

I find the Supreme do hurt my arch a little (I put in some superfeet which helped). Some days I've worn them and skated with zero pain, some days with an ache. I swear it's based off skate tightness.

esidebill 06-06-2012 02:17 PM

Also, I think there is a Reebok 12K, which is an adaption of the 6K.

nullterm 06-06-2012 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esidebill (Post 50587855)
I find the Supreme do hurt my arch a little (I put in some superfeet which helped). Some days I've worn them and skated with zero pain, some days with an ache. I swear it's based off skate tightness.

If my 6K's are too tight on the bottom then it cuts off circulation and starts to hurt, so I only try to tie tight around the ankle area. Which is where the skate lace lock helps.

BigDuke6 06-06-2012 05:15 PM

I recently switched from Bauer One60s in a 9.5E to Reebok 12Ks in a 9D. Wider skates are just too wide on my foot, standard width is a bit snug, but I prefer that vs. too much room.

My experience with the One60s was similar to yours - they didn't really cause pain, I just had way too much room. In the end I felt like the 12Ks fit better and went with them. The 12Ks aren't anywhere near as stiff as the One60s, but the 12Ks fit so much better that I feel like I have more support and better edge control.

I tried on the Bauer Supremes, Vapors, and Flexlites, when I was switching skates. Each of them were a bit different, and in the end I feel like the Reeboks were a better fit.

esidebill 06-06-2012 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDuke6 (Post 50594817)
I recently switched from Bauer One60s in a 9.5E to Reebok 12Ks in a 9D. Wider skates are just too wide on my foot, standard width is a bit snug, but I prefer that vs. too much room.

My experience with the One60s was similar to yours - they didn't really cause pain, I just had way too much room. In the end I felt like the 12Ks fit better and went with them. The 12Ks aren't anywhere near as stiff as the One60s, but the 12Ks fit so much better that I feel like I have more support and better edge control.

I tried on the Bauer Supremes, Vapors, and Flexlites, when I was switching skates. Each of them were a bit different, and in the end I feel like the Reeboks were a better fit.

How long have you been using the One60s before you switched? That sounds about my position at the moment, but I'm reluctant to drop money on new skates.

BigDuke6 06-07-2012 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esidebill (Post 50612767)
How long have you been using the One60s before you switched? That sounds about my position at the moment, but I'm reluctant to drop money on new skates.

Just about a year. The One60s were the first skates I ever owned.

esidebill 06-07-2012 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDuke6 (Post 50616973)
Just about a year. The One60s were the first skates I ever owned.

Was it a considerable difference from before?

BigDuke6 06-07-2012 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esidebill (Post 50620065)
Was it a considerable difference from before?

The one60s were always big, I was coming from using rental skates, and to be honest I just didn't know any better. It wasn't until I got some experience skating, talked to a bunch of people, and read a bunch of stuff on here that I reached the conclusion that they were too big.

More than a little frustrating because I always struggled with crossovers and tight turns. With the 12ks fitting much better I can feel and control my edges so much better. I've made more progress in the month I've been wearing the 12Ks than in the three months before I made the switch.

esidebill 06-07-2012 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDuke6 (Post 50621921)
The one60s were always big, I was coming from using rental skates, and to be honest I just didn't know any better. It wasn't until I got some experience skating, talked to a bunch of people, and read a bunch of stuff on here that I reached the conclusion that they were too big.

More than a little frustrating because I always struggled with crossovers and tight turns. With the 12ks fitting much better I can feel and control my edges so much better. I've made more progress in the month I've been wearing the 12Ks than in the three months before I made the switch.

Yea, I got the feeling they were a bit big when they started wobbling when I was flying down the ice. Hmm, I'll look into it. I wish I could trial these skates :p The whole "Sharpen them, no returns" sucks.