HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Washington Capitals (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Speculation: Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XIII (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1203339)

Langway 06-06-2012 04:43 PM

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XIII
 
Blah blah blah.

CapitalsCupFantasy 06-06-2012 04:44 PM

@NBTW

So we're back to point A, where my arguments stands. History says they WON'T make the largest offer, so they're NOT a serious contender/destination for the TOP UFAs chasing their big career $$ contract.

All the Caps have to do is prove me right again this offseason like they've done since they signed Lang.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz 06-06-2012 04:46 PM

Whatever dude. Again, nothing to do with the premise of my argument. You're arguing something completely different, and I'm done.

IkeaMonkey* 06-06-2012 04:48 PM

Well on the bright side, we can sell to free agents the fact Michael Jordan once called the Verizon Center home for a while. Talk about premier free agents.

BrooklynCapsFan 06-06-2012 04:52 PM

Can we get back to talking about what number Brad Boyes is going to wear in Washington?

IkeaMonkey* 06-06-2012 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan (Post 50591755)
Can we get back to talking about what number Brad Boyes is going to wear in Washington?


Whatever number Brad Lukowich doesn't take first.

CapitalsCupFantasy 06-06-2012 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan (Post 50591755)
Can we get back to talking about what number Brad Boyes is going to wear in Washington?

22 just freed up.

SimplySensational 06-06-2012 05:08 PM

What a stupid argument.

CCF is basically agreeing with NBTW but won't ****ing give up.

Both are saying the same exact thing, the Caps don't give good offers to UFAs.

GMGM is pretty secretive about what he does, no one even knew Vokoun was shopping himself, yet they know the top destinations for certain UFA which they are just full of **** lying and supporting evidence is where their family is or where they were born.

Who knows Suter may want to play with Green. Only him and his family know where he truly wants to be.

It seems like every time there is a big UFA and because they were born near or in Michigan or American, Detroit is the front runner. Never ****ing happens.

IkeaMonkey* 06-06-2012 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liberation (Post 50592345)
GMGM is pretty secretive about what he does, no one even knew Vokoun was shopping himself, yet they know the top destinations for certain UFA which they are just full of **** lying and supporting evidence is where their family is or where they were born.



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suter's_Tavern

Suter's Tavern, also known officially as The Fountain Inn, was a tavern located in Georgetown, which later became part of Washington, D.C., and it served as Georgetown's best-known hostelry until the emergence of several newer taverns in the 1790s.[1]

John Suter established the tavern in the late 18th century in Georgetown on Fishing Lane, near today's intersection of 31st and K Streets, NW. Though the precise location of the tavern is not entirely clear, it is known to have been located about two blocks southwest of the Old Stone House, where Mr. Suter's son, John Jr., resided.[2] The building that housed the tavern has been described as a small building, one and half stories, with a large inn yard in back to accommodate coaches and wagons.[3] Suter continued to operate this tavern until his death in 1794, after which his wife continued running it until early 1796. By February of that year, Clement Sewall had taken over operations of the Fountain Inn, but by December 1796, he had left to operate the newly-built City Tavern (now the City Tavern Club). Eventually, Suter's Fountain Inn became an oyster-house and ultimately disappeared without record.[4]

George Washington and other notable residents frequented the tavern, which was the site of land deals involved in establishing Washington as the "Federal City".




In other words...

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

IkeaMonkey* 06-06-2012 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halpysback (Post 50592485)
Not sure Laich centering that line would work. Rather trade for Bryan Little, slot him in the center there and put Laich back on LW where he's put up points.

Talk to many around here and Laich centering OV was awesome in the playoffs and produced much success.

Ovechkins Wodka 06-06-2012 05:33 PM

in the last 10 years the caps have made 2 players the highest paid player in the league

Jagr
Ovechkin

history says ted will spend for the right player.

SimplySensational 06-06-2012 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka (Post 50593287)
in the last 10 years the caps have made 2 players the highest paid player in the league

Jagr
Ovechkin

history says ted will spend for the right player.

So what Crosby next year during UFA?

G3 LesPaul 06-06-2012 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka (Post 50593287)
in the last 10 years the caps have made 2 players the highest paid player in the league

Jagr
Ovechkin

history says ted will spend for the right player.

They obviously aren't the "right" players then

txpd 06-06-2012 06:01 PM

its about the money only to the extent that its important to the given player. we all know top of the line players that dont test free agency, that sign long term home town discount contracts.

do you think cal ripken stayed in baltimore his entire career because the orioles offered what he knew would be the best money and term? no.

so, if there are players that we know take less money to remain with their team, there are also going to be free agents that have a deeper agenda that getting the most money.

we know that jeremy roenick famously spit on leonsis contract offer publically to take less money to play for the flyers. i'd be stunned if the hurricanes had to offer a brother staal the biggest money and longest term to get his name on a contract to play on the same team with eric.
michael nylander didnt want to stay in new york and took less money than the oil offered to sign with the caps.

if ryan suter wants to play for the detroit red wings, it wont matter what the capitals offer so long as the detroit contract is reasonable.

brs03 06-06-2012 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan (Post 50592441)
It's offensive on two levels!

And neither is the one that matters! :sarcasm:

BrooklynCapsFan 06-06-2012 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txpd (Post 50594313)
its about the money only to the extent that its important to the given player. we all know top of the line players that dont test free agency, that sign long term home town discount contracts.

do you think cal ripken stayed in baltimore his entire career because the orioles offered what he knew would be the best money and term? no.

so, if there are players that we know take less money to remain with their team, there are also going to be free agents that have a deeper agenda that getting the most money.

we know that jeremy roenick famously spit on leonsis contract offer publically to take less money to play for the flyers. i'd be stunned if the hurricanes had to offer a brother staal the biggest money and longest term to get his name on a contract to play on the same team with eric.
michael nylander didnt want to stay in new york and took less money than the oil offered to sign with the caps.

if ryan suter wants to play for the detroit red wings, it wont matter what the capitals offer so long as the detroit contract is reasonable.

Can anyone name a high profile UFA under 30 who has taken what could reasonably be assumed to be less than the market would bear since the lockout? I've got nothing.

Hivemind 06-06-2012 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan (Post 50595969)
Can anyone name a high profile UFA under 30 who has taken what could reasonably be assumed to be less than the market would bear since the lockout? I've got nothing.

Sedin twins likely could have gotten more than $6.1M on the open market, though the twin factor makes them harder to peg.

txpd 06-06-2012 08:11 PM

under 30 limits the pool significantly. does it not? since the lockout, how many top end under 30's have made it to the open market?

checking.
2011 under 30 was zherdev, campoli and emery
2010 was matthew lombardi
2009 comrie, cammalleri, connolly
2008 avery and kelly
so far no big names...cammalleri is the closest thing.

BrooklynCapsFan 06-06-2012 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txpd (Post 50598967)
under 30 limits the pool significantly. does it not? since the lockout, how many top end under 30's have made it to the open market?

checking.
2011 under 30 was zherdev, campoli and emery
2010 was matthew lombardi
2009 comrie, cammalleri, connolly
2008 avery and kelly
so far no big names...cammalleri is the closest thing.

I never said open market. Kovalchuk, Hossa, Briere, Chara, Savard, Cammalleri, Gomez, Bouwmeester, Havlat, Ribeiro, Gaborik etc. There's tons.

fedfed 06-07-2012 04:56 AM

To CapitalsCupFantasy, about this: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...postcount=1009
If we assume that there are 5 attractive teams who bid on both (Detroit, Chicago, Washington, Minny, LA for example), then there's 40% chance that at least one of them signs in DC. So, the fact that they DO NOT sign in DC doesn't mean they're not an attractive destination...

CapitalsCupFantasy 06-07-2012 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka (Post 50593287)
in the last 10 years the caps have made 2 players the highest paid player in the league

Jagr
Ovechkin

history says ted will spend for the right player.

You're right, his OWN right players, not UFA's.

Also important to note that one of the two was one of the worst contracts in NHL history that was such a boat anchor the Caps had to pay him to play for a rival. The 2nd, not looking so good right now either.

Are those really feathers in their cap to mention in praise??

CapitalsCupFantasy 06-07-2012 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fedfed (Post 50617945)
To CapitalsCupFantasy, about this: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...postcount=1009
If we assume that there are 5 attractive teams who bid on both (Detroit, Chicago, Washington, Minny, LA for example), then there's 40% chance that at least one of them signs in DC. So, the fact that they DO NOT sign in DC doesn't mean they're not an attractive destination...

Too many people caught up in terminology. SURE, OK, I'll agree, on the surface Washington SHOULD be an attractive destination. The issue is that the Caps have publicly said over and over they won't overpay for UFAs. Until the do, they're not a real contender to sign any big names.

I'm praying the Caps change their tune and sign one of the two this summer, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

CapitalsCupFantasy 06-07-2012 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystlyfe (Post 50597345)
Sedin twins likely could have gotten more than $6.1M on the open market, though the twin factor makes them harder to peg.

He said UFA. They never made it to UFA status....

Jackstrom19 06-07-2012 09:16 AM

Money is no longer the main issue for UFA's. If you want to go to Detroit you can go to Detroit. There are so many ways to draw-out or backload/frontload contracts these days that if you want to go to a team that wants you..they will make it happen regardless of how much

ChibiPooky 06-07-2012 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fedfed (Post 50617945)
To CapitalsCupFantasy, about this: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...postcount=1009
If we assume that there are 5 attractive teams who bid on both (Detroit, Chicago, Washington, Minny, LA for example), then there's 40% chance that at least one of them signs in DC. So, the fact that they DO NOT sign in DC doesn't mean they're not an attractive destination...

Just to nitpick, if we're assuming that it's a random selection between the five "attractive destinations" in both cases and that the events are independent, then it's a 36% chance that at least one of them signs in DC (80% probability of not signing in DC * 80% probability of not signing in DC = 64% probability that neither signs in DC. 100% - 64% = 36% is therefore the probability that at least one signs in DC given the prior constraints).


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:25 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.