HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Martin or Therrien? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1203501)

Stylizer1 06-06-2012 09:57 PM

Martin or Therrien?

Who would you choose?

Martin was too good of a coach for a bad team and Therrien was too bad of a coach for a good team.

With Martin the Habs could of battled for 8th last season but by firing him they fell to the bottom and are now going to draft high.

overlords 06-06-2012 09:58 PM

Mackinnon notwithstanding?

peate 06-06-2012 10:01 PM

Electric chair or hanging. Just kidding, but really the choice is pretty awful. I'll take Therrien for a change.

Stylizer1 06-06-2012 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peate (Post 50605153)
Electric chair or hanging. Just kidding, but really the choice is pretty awful. I'll take Therrien for a change.

Martin is a boring coach but he did a hell of a lot for Montreal in his time there. He made everyone believe that Montreal was on the cusp of winning the stanley cup, even management.

He did amazing things in Ottawa but couldn't take the team to next level.

For an bad team he is a perfect fit only if there are good , young, talented players coming up that he can mold.

WhiskeySeven 06-06-2012 10:07 PM

Martin is a coach of the coachiest standards. He's absolutely set in his ways though and did not fit with this squad.

Therrien is much more unknown - the teams he had to deal with were among the worst in the Habs history.

Stylizer1 06-06-2012 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven (Post 50605513)
Martin is a coach of the coachiest standards. He's absolutely set in his ways though and did not fit with this squad.

Therrien is much more unknown - the teams he had to deal with were among the worst in the Habs history.

Sure, but he had a team who finished last in the east at .500 at the mid way point of the season. Maybe this seasons habs were the worst?

Jmac1160* 06-06-2012 10:14 PM

time will tell as MT has never even coached this group of guys yet. This should be a speculation thread. For some teams martin is better and others MT is better. It mainly depends on how the guys respond to whoever their coach is.

MasterDecoy 06-06-2012 10:25 PM

hard to compare when he hasn't coached a game yet.

for what it's worth, mike's presser will be much more 'interesting' that jack's

WhiskeySeven 06-06-2012 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stylizer1 (Post 50605929)
Sure, but he had a team who finished last in the east at .500 at the mid way point of the season. Maybe this seasons habs were the worst?

Very ignorant way to argue it.

The squad had the most man-games lost to injury (takes a heavier toll later in the season)
Rookie replacement coach
Lame duck coach, who was certainly not going to be kept
General Mismanagement
Demoralized Squad

Lots of factors, none of them have to do with Martin.

Player 61 06-06-2012 10:35 PM

Add a name like Babcock to that list & see if fans of the Habs are into politics or winning!

I won't vote, because my choice is neither!

Craig MacTavish!

Stylizer1 06-06-2012 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven (Post 50607613)
Very ignorant way to argue it.

The squad had the most man-games lost to injury (takes a heavier toll later in the season)
Rookie replacement coach
Lame duck coach, who was certainly not going to be kept
General Mismanagement
Demoralized Squad

Lots of factors, none of them have to do with Martin.

Or you can look at it like Martin was the glue that held everything together. Despite the injuries he had the team in the playoff hunt. His structure is what kept many of the problems hidden whether good or bad.

LyricalLyricist 06-06-2012 10:57 PM

Can't go back to Martin now but voted him as he's better coach.

the 06-06-2012 10:58 PM

Coach Martin no contest!

Habsoil 06-06-2012 11:04 PM

Hope this don't sound racist, my best friend is quebec born bilingual! But is anyone else getting sick of limiting our management/coaches to bilingual?
This is 2012, not 1905!
Get over it already, give us the best people availible. Not the best french speaking person avaible!

If Toronto, stated they will be hiring english only management, Quebec would file a seperation referendum the following day.
There are plenty of english only habs fans too, not just bilingual!
And we deserve the best candidate for each position!

Why is Geoff Molson so closed minded?

AntonCH 06-06-2012 11:04 PM

There is something just wrong about this
kinda like the milk on the floor in front of the fridge after 48 hrs

WhiskeySeven 06-06-2012 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stylizer1 (Post 50609901)
Or you can look at it like Martin was the glue that held everything together. Despite the injuries he had the team in the playoff hunt. His structure is what kept many of the problems hidden whether good or bad.

I don't disagree but the structure he put into place could only deliver so much. It peaked by making it to the ECF and then getting obliterated when teams found out how to counter-act it.

The structure was a double-edged sword: patched a lot of player injures and sub-standard talent but never allowed the team to play any better than how bad their opponent played. It was completely reactive.

Player 61 06-06-2012 11:23 PM

The calm before the storm... If Therrien 2.0 blows it again! Then maybe, just maybe we can drop the language restrictions and actually get the best coach avail.

All the Anglo media & all the Anglo Montreal will be watching very carefully. not to jump on acceptable mistakes! We're fair , but if the team finished 9th!~ Flood gates are open!

Break a leg, this guy will be under pressure! It's not just Montreal, Quebec, also Montreal Canada & if the French Media can be ******, so can the Anglo!

It's a 2-Way Street...

Ohashi_Jouzu 06-06-2012 11:24 PM

I would have rather had Martin the whole time instead of going to Therrien from 2012/13 onward, but going back to Martin would essentially mean Gauthier and Cunneyworth took the fall for everyone, so I don't know what to vote here.

Habsoil 06-06-2012 11:34 PM

Awesome line of thinking! A blessing in disguise!

So if habs tank again, we get
1. A really good prospect maybe even Mckinnon
2. We get rid of therrien! Yay hated him the first time

3. And once and for all we might, just might ditch the language barrier!

Sounds good to me! On the flip side, if therrien wins !
1.we ll be stuck with french only
But at least we ll be winning again!

I can handle french only as long as we win!

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaxPac67 (Post 50611891)
The calm before the storm... If Therrien 2.0 blows it again! Then maybe, just maybe we can drop the language restrictions and actually get the best coach avail.

All the Anglo media & all the Anglo Montreal will be watching very carefully. not to jump on acceptable mistakes! We're fair , but if the team finished 9th!~ Flood gates are open!

Break a leg, this guy will be under pressure! It's not just Montreal, Quebec, also Montreal Canada & if the French Media can be ******, so can the Anglo!

It's a 2-Way Street...

Stradale 06-06-2012 11:40 PM

Really not a big of Martin so I voted Therrien.

I never liked the connection between JM and his players.

MasterDecoy 06-06-2012 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habsoil (Post 50610773)
Hope this don't sound racist, my best friend is quebec born bilingual! But is anyone else getting sick of limiting our management/coaches to bilingual?
This is 2012, not 1905!
Get over it already, give us the best people availible. Not the best french speaking person avaible!

late to this party much? i could sum up the dozens, and dozens, and dozens of thread about it in this way:

yes it's dumb
no it's not going away
deal with it

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habsoil (Post 50610773)
If Toronto, stated they will be hiring english only management, Quebec would file a seperation referendum the following day.

maybe it's my reading comprehension that sucks, but i have no earthly idea what this 'analogy' is supposed to mean...

guest1467 06-07-2012 12:04 AM

I will reserve my judgement for when I get a better idea what Therrien can bring to the table.

Habsterix* 06-07-2012 12:11 AM

Never could stand Martin so I picked Therrien as the best of two evils.

JSBach 06-07-2012 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stylizer1 (Post 50605349)
Martin is a boring coach but he did a hell of a lot for Montreal in his time there. He made everyone believe that Montreal was on the cusp of winning the stanley cup, even management.

He did amazing things in Ottawa but couldn't take the team to next level.

For an bad team he is a perfect fit only if there are good , young, talented players coming up that he can mold.

Martin was a smart man, no doubt, but I think his personality left something to be desired. Not the best motivator, the way I saw it.

Hackett 06-07-2012 12:25 AM

Martin/Muller looked good to me

We still dont know Therrien's cast.