HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Columbus Blue Jackets (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   The Columbus Dispatch: John Davidson interviews with CBJ (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1203701)

DJAnimosity 06-07-2012 09:43 AM

John Davidson interviews with CBJ

http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/conte...medium=twitter

NovaScotiaCBJ 06-07-2012 09:45 AM

Please please please!!!

Fred Glover 06-07-2012 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NovaScotiaCBJ (Post 50622143)
Please please please!!!

Amen

blahblah 06-07-2012 09:56 AM

So this probably explains the recent Dispatch media blitz on Davidson.

I still want to hear a conversation between Davidson and Hitch about the CBJ. Having said that if he wanted to brave the waters, he would be invaluable to this franchise. It could be a comfortable position for Davidson to be in if the CBJ just assumed his existing contract. Easy transition in three years if he wants to pursue something else.

KeithBWhittington 06-07-2012 10:01 AM

Hopefully, this isn't purely a "gauging interest" move, like Howson did in the sit down with Dudley before he was snatched up by the leafs a year ago. Davidson probably doesn't want to sit around and answer the phone and give his opinion on moves, he wants to be out front helping to make franchise altering decisions and policy. Unless the CBJ do an about-face with their management, I don't expect this to be anything more than an "exploratory" sit down.

Kev22 06-07-2012 10:03 AM

This would be fantastic for this franchise to have Davidson and Craig Patrick part of this organization. I would be curious to see what the "family tree" would look like. Does Davidson become the President of Hockey Operations and Priest become the President of Business Operations or does he get a CEO or COO title? Obviously luring Davidson is paramount to any title battles. As for the permission granted by the Blues, they owed us a favor for Hitch.

ernmorris 06-07-2012 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJAnimosity (Post 50622065)

Please make it happen!!

I assume we should know something soon - his window to sign a deal ends tomorrow. But, considering that he interviewed last week (per the article) and since there has been no movement since (none that we've heard publicly, at least) I assume that nothing will happen here. Besides - it makes too much sense to bring in another brilliant hockey mind, right? :sarcasm:

KeithBWhittington 06-07-2012 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kev22 (Post 50622673)
This would be fantastic for this franchise to have Davidson and Craig Patrick part of this organization. I would be curious to see what the "family tree" would look like. Does Davidson become the President of Hockey Operations and Priest become the President of Business Operations or does he get a CEO or COO title? Obviously luring Davidson is paramount to any title battles. As for the permission granted by the Blues, they owed us a favor for Hitch.

This ultimately, would be better.

If ownership is intent on keeping their pet in the presidency role, split in and have him run the business side only. I don't want him sitting in on interviews from the Operations side.... If he wants to interview tick managers, fine.

Nordique 06-07-2012 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blahblah (Post 50622439)
So this probably explains the recent Dispatch media blitz on Davidson.

I still want to hear a conversation between Davidson and Hitch about the CBJ. Having said that if he wanted to brave the waters, he would be invaluable to this franchise. It could be a comfortable position for Davidson to be in if the CBJ just assumed his existing contract. Easy transition in three years if he wants to pursue something else.

In my dreams that conversation takes place in JD's office at Nationwide Arena, and it pertains to Hitchcock's return to Columbus.

but back to reality...
What I like most about a Davidson option is the established relationships he has with other GM's, owners, coaches, scouts, and even players. What scares me the most is the potential ego clash with Patrick.

Double-Shift Lassť 06-07-2012 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington (Post 50622613)
Hopefully, this isn't purely a "gauging interest" move, like Howson did in the sit down with Dudley before he was snatched up by the leafs a year ago. Davidson probably doesn't want to sit around and answer the phone and give his opinion on moves, he wants to be out front helping to make franchise altering decisions and policy. Unless the CBJ do an about-face with their management, I don't expect this to be anything more than an "exploratory" sit down.

I'm with you. All the Dispatch fawning aside, bringing in Davidson in a hands-on, active role, would be a good move.

Davidson as pres of hockey ops and Priest as CFO or something, or maybe they're setting up Priest for the long-hoped-for (in many quarters) move back to the foundation.

Makes me wonder also about the long-term role of Craig Patrick.

I'm guessing the reason
Quote:

Itís unclear what role Davidson might fill with the Blue Jackets or how his addition would affect the role of Priest or others.
is because he wasn't being interviewed for a specific position, but one that would be created as part of a new leadership structure should he be brought in.

Matt Foley 06-07-2012 10:10 AM

I'm keeping my enthusiasm on hold until he is actually hired (that is if he is hired). The org would be idiots to not make him an offer; I mean, it would be like a starving man turning down a juicy steak for the Jackets to not act on this opportunity.

Nordique 06-07-2012 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť (Post 50622853)
I'm with you. All the Dispatch fawning aside, bringing in Davidson in a hands-on, active role, would be a good move.

Davidson as pres of hockey ops and Priest as CFO or something, or maybe they're setting up Priest for the long-hoped-for (in many quarters) move back to the foundation.
Makes me wonder also about the long-term role of Craig Patrick.

I'm guessing the reason is because he wasn't being interviewed for a specific position, but one that would be created as part of a new leadership structure should he be brought in.

Would such an investment in the front office sway Nash to rethink his position on being traded?

pete goegan 06-07-2012 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Foley (Post 50622877)
I'm keeping my enthusiasm on hold until he is actually hired (that is if he is hired). The org would be idiots to not make him an offer; I mean, it would be like a starving man turning down a juicy steak for the Jackets to not make the man an offer.

I think I'll join you in the "see it to believe it" section.

pete goegan 06-07-2012 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordique (Post 50623001)
Would such an investment in the front office sway Nash to rethink his position on being traded?

That appears to be one of the implications in the story, but who knows?

Samkow 06-07-2012 10:17 AM

http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/conte...uttlebutt.html

Quote:

-- Things can change, and often do. But for now, the Blue Jackets do not seem interested in Davidson. The message coming from the owner's chair is that the club is in good hands with Priest as president, Howson as GM and Craig Patrick as senior adviser.
lol, Portzline.

Xoggz22 06-07-2012 10:17 AM

Talk about the face of the franchise.... It won't be recognizable to the fringe fan but the franchise would become recognizeable to hockey people once more. Eventually the fringe fan would see the improvements in C-Bus and hopefully come back to a better product should this happen. This would be a phenominal move for the CBJ but I'm not sure it happens. I'm OK with Priest on the financial side which means Davidson could run the Hockey Operations Side!

This sucks. Now I'm excited for something good to happen and just feel a let down coming.

pete goegan 06-07-2012 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samkow (Post 50623083)

"Things can change, and often do."

Xoggz22 06-07-2012 10:19 AM

Quote:

Or... would such an investment move out Nash as part of a complete (or big) rebuild. That's what happened in St. Louis. They took their lumps but have put together some serious young talent. I don't see Davidson sticking with the status quo (ie. try to make minor changes for a playoff team)

KeithBWhittington 06-07-2012 10:21 AM

Quote:

Doubtful. My thinking is that if it would entail a big shakeup/restructuring of management, it would be to ensure whats happened the last twelve years doesn't happen the next twelve. The poor drafting, development, scouting etc.

I think the Nash ship is about to set sail for good folks, no turning back.

tkeats 06-07-2012 10:21 AM

Anyone want to elaborate or take a guess as to what this "NHL source" is getting at when he says "No way John Davidson joins the Blue Jackets and trades Rick Nash a week later"

per Porty's twitter

pete goegan 06-07-2012 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xoggz22 (Post 50623091)
This sucks. Now I'm excited for something good to happen and just feel a let down coming.

Exactly! That why I'm waiting until it happens or doesn't, to get excited or enraged. There is no middle ground, is there?

alphafox 06-07-2012 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington (Post 50623203)
Doubtful. My thinking is that if it would entail a big shakeup/restructuring of management, it would be to ensure whats happened the last twelve years doesn't happen the next twelve. The poor drafting, development, scouting etc.

I think the Nash ship is about to set sail for good folks, no turning back.

Agreed. I think if Howson stays Nash goes.

Kev22 06-07-2012 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xoggz22 (Post 50623091)

I have that feeling we're going to get the "we just didn't have the bullets" excuse we get at the trade deadlline. Maybe McConnell will throw the fans a bone.

RDriesenUD 06-07-2012 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJAnimosity (Post 50622065)

I would love for this to happen.

RDriesenUD 06-07-2012 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kev22 (Post 50622673)

Obviously, not much would probably change this close to the draft, but I wonder what would happen over the summer.