HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   French (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1204111)

Mory Schneideur* 06-07-2012 10:44 PM

French

Hey guys, love your town & love your team (my 2nd after NJ).

Have a question & it may be silly or dumb, but how come there is no French on the MON board? I'm pretty sure HF is the largest hockey boards in the world & was honesty expecting dual language boards or even all the threads in French here.

So would love to hear why, and also am curious if there is a French equivalent to HF somewhere.

Anyways feel for you this season and hope things improve fast! Thanks!

HankyZetts 06-07-2012 10:46 PM

Because french people don't type, they boo.

:sarcasm:

overlords 06-07-2012 10:46 PM

There's no french allowed because it's an american owned company (crave) and for whatever reason, they don't want any other language here but english.

As for a french HF, nope. I'll be interested to see if they revisit the topic when Québec comes back into the league, but I doubt it'll change anything. Would be fun to be one of the few bilingual mods on the site.

Adamcrazy3 06-07-2012 10:48 PM

Because French people are too busy protesting.. they don't have enough money to afford Internet :sarcasm:

Mory Schneideur* 06-07-2012 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overlords (Post 50650343)
There's no french allowed because it's an american owned company (crave) and for whatever reason, they don't want any other language here but english.

As for a french HF, nope. I'll be interested to see if they revisit the topic when Québec comes back into the league, but I doubt it'll change anything. Would be fun to be one of the few bilingual mods on the site.

I find this very odd because when I was in Montreal it was very very French. I would honestly expect the majority of the fans to speak/interact in French & have a site somewhere with more Canadiens fans than HF if there are no "French HF Montreal boards".

Some college age people I met in Montreal & became friends with barely spoke English, I assumed that was the norm around Montreal because of the strong pride.

Alexdaman 06-07-2012 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adamcrazy3 (Post 50650389)
Because French people are too busy protesting.. they don't have enough money to afford Internet :sarcasm:

Dude I'm pretty sure 50% of people here are bilingual if not more...

Mory Schneideur* 06-07-2012 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adamcrazy3 (Post 50650389)

A few years ago I was in Montreal in July & saw hundreds of fans randomly protesting something to
do with Koivu.

As a hockey fan, it was cool to see so many fans & especially cool to see hot frenchie chicks in skimpy Canadiens outfits having fun in the streets, in July! :)

Also got mad respect for being a Devils fan & a Brodeur fan. Was great!

Alexdaman 06-07-2012 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnyrocket (Post 50650469)
I find this very odd because when I was in Montreal it was very very French. I would honestly expect the majority of the fans to speak/interact in French & have a site somewhere with more Canadiens fans than HF is there are no "French HF Montreal boards".

Some college age people I met in Montreal & became friends with barely spoke English, I assumed that was the norm around Montreal because of the strong pride.

It used to be both from what I heard... but because the majority of moderators are english-speaking only they don't want other languages saying stuff that they could not understand containing inappropriate content, spam or whatever... same for the european based forums

LyricalLyricist 06-07-2012 10:55 PM

Quote:

I find this very odd because when I was in Montreal it was very very French. I would honestly expect the majority of the fans to speak/interact in French & have a site somewhere with more Canadiens fans than HF is there are no "French HF Montreal boards".

To be honest. I'm english and when I'm I go out I usually don't bother speaking english. If I speak english a lot of times someone will just speak english back. Sometimes I speak english and the person either refuses to serve me or ignores me. So, I just speak french when I'm out. So in a lot of cases you'll see people like me, anglophones, just speaking french because it's easier to avoid controversy that way. There's more anglophones and more general billinguals than you think.

Coach Brisebois* 06-07-2012 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overlords (Post 50650343)

Crave, upon registering the hfboards.ca domain, affirmed that they are operating in Canada and subject to Canadian law which guarantees peoples right to express themselves in either official language.

Goldthorpe 06-07-2012 10:57 PM

Quote:

I find this very odd because when I was in Montreal it was very very French. I would honestly expect the majority of the fans to speak/interact in French & have a site somewhere with more Canadiens fans than HF if there are no "French HF Montreal boards".

Two years ago we did a poll to know how many Montreal board participants were french and it came to about 50%.

LyricalLyricist 06-07-2012 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach Brisebois (Post 50650623)
Crave, upon registering the hfboards.ca domain, affirmed that they are operating in Canada and subject to Canadian law which guarantees peoples right to express themselves in either official language. Watch for this post to be deleted :)

I may be wrong but it doesn't apply that way. It's a private community.

Jack Bourdain 06-07-2012 11:00 PM

I'm Allophone, and am fluent in French and English (I would say I speak French better than English, and I speak it better than certain Québécois born here).

I'll admit that I get annoyed when someone who knows both languages (is bilingual) speaks English when we go to restaurant or another event. This is mostly my ex-girlfriend, but I don't know why I would get ticked even though I understand that she prefers to be served in English, I just felt that she could've made the effort to speak in French.

Vice-versa, when the waiters or servers see that you're an Anglophone speaking French, they switch and start speaking to you in English. I've found this odd in Montreal.

Some observations, is all.

Coach Brisebois* 06-07-2012 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist (Post 50650715)
I may be wrong but it doesn't apply that way. It's a private community.

it's a commercial enterprise

Mory Schneideur* 06-07-2012 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist (Post 50650585)
To be honest. I'm english and when I'm I go out I usually don't bother speaking english. If I speak english a lot of times someone will just speak english back. Sometimes I speak english and the person either refuses to serve me or ignores me. So, I just speak french when I'm out. So in a lot of cases you'll see people like me, anglophones, just speaking french because it's easier to avoid controversy that way. There's more anglophones and more general billinguals than you think.

We met a bunch of girls from suburbs like Sherbrooke, Trois Riveres & so forth, great girls. Some spoke English pretty well with a heavy accent, totally adorable, but many barely spoke the language. Great fun loving people however, had such a great time.

Most people in Montreal we ran into we're very nice and spoke English, but seemed to prefer French. Had no problem with that & actually liked it.