HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Just how good will Bernier be? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1204315)

R S 06-08-2012 11:19 AM

Just how good will Bernier be?

I know you guys are a bit busy with the Stanley Cup! (congrats by the way, you've been my 2nd or 3rd fave team since the 2001 playoffs).

As I'm sure some of you are aware, Bob McKenzie fielded some questions last night on Twitter and he was asked what Tampa will do for a goalie. He simply said they will acquire Bernier.

So that made me wonder, how good do you expect him to be?

I've seen him extensively, minus his starts this year. I know he had proven everything in the AHL he needed to, but he hasn't really been given a huge chance to play at the NHL level. Not, that I blame you guys, with Quick being the best goalie in the world and all.

But just wanted some more feedback on how good you actually expect Bernier to be as a starter. Top 5 in the league? Top 10? Top 15? Something like Carey Price?

Thanks!

kingsholygrail 06-08-2012 11:22 AM

He's an interesting goalie for sure. He plays a more hybrid style. I think he'll be solid, but it's hard to tell given how little work he gets to put in over the season.

He was supposed to be the golden boy for the Kings until Quick decided to be badass.

R S 06-08-2012 11:27 AM

In the little that you've seen this year, do you anticipate him being able to continue to grow and eventually be a top 15 guy in the league on another team?

kingsholygrail 06-08-2012 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings (Post 50662293)
In the little that you've seen this year, do you anticipate him being able to continue to grow and eventually be a top 15 guy in the league on another team?

I believe he can. I've never felt nervous about him being the back up to say the least. If Quick needed rest, I was totally comfortable with Bernier coming in.

Just to add, having a good goalie coach really helps as well. Ranford's really helped Quick develop his talent, especially his skate work.

HTK 06-08-2012 11:34 AM

<takes out crystal ball>

I wish.

I think his upside is Top 5 in the league. More likely is a top 15. He is a positionaly sound goalie. Seldom out of position. Very little scrambling.

SLang 06-08-2012 11:38 AM

Agree that he can be top 5. Should solidly be top 15.

HTK 06-08-2012 11:38 AM

Quote:

Sure. He is one of the top three goalie prospects in the NHL. There has even been debate about trading Quick and signing Bernier.

For NFL fans it is similar to the Chargers when they traded Drew Brees and decided to keep Philip Rivers.

nki 06-08-2012 11:39 AM

Quote:

I think top 15 is reasonable. He's a different style than Quick. Positional and calm, sucks up the rebounds pretty well. Good reflexes and athleticism (not on Quick's level obviously) too, and adept at puckhandling. I think he needs to work on sorting out the traffic in front of him at this point, he doesn't have the biggest frame.

SuperAlmeida 06-08-2012 11:40 AM

I can't see us trading him on draftday. He I'll be traded on the 1st of July or later like Varlamov. The return could be Connolly or something around their 1st round pick in 2013.

jonrazor12 06-08-2012 12:19 PM

Top ten. Maybe top 5 if he reaches his full potential.

In no order, in three years we could see a top 5 of....

Quick
Bernier
Schnieder
Rask
Lundqvist/rinne/price

Martyros 06-08-2012 12:26 PM

he's not very "active". Will stay deep in his net and is very calm. In his short stint(s), he's shown the potential; he seems to be the kind of goalie that needs to play 70+ games a year to be incredibly effective.

DocWest 06-08-2012 12:42 PM

I think that Bernier will definitely be a top 15 guy in the league, if not even higher. The key is that he just needs to play a lot, which obviously comes with the territory of being the clear starter. The greedy side of me wants to keep him here, but he's too good to be warming the bench all season long. The dude is ready for his turn and I just hope he goes to a team that we don't see too often.

Moses Doughty 06-08-2012 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HTK (Post 50662757)
Sure. He is one of the top three goalie prospects in the NHL. There has even been debate about trading Quick and signing Bernier.

For NFL fans it is similar to the Chargers when they traded Drew Brees and decided to keep Philip Rivers.

And that's why Bernier will be dealt(if you can get anything out of it to compare NHL to NFL). Brees has been a monster ever since

Perro 06-08-2012 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nki (Post 50662767)
I think top 15 is reasonable. He's a different style than Quick. Positional and calm, sucks up the rebounds pretty well. Good reflexes and athleticism (not on Quick's level obviously) too, and adept at puckhandling. I think he needs to work on sorting out the traffic in front of him at this point, he doesn't have the biggest frame.

I am very biased and pro Bernier. I think it's because when we drafted him I finally felt like we had something good coming in Net.
I prefer his style to that of Quick's because of the calmness to his game. Obviously with the amazing play of Quick, I am finally realizing that Quick is our guy and Bernier will be out the door.
Bernier has had success at every level he has played. I see no reason why he won't at the NHL level, he needs more starts to develope further.
I think he WILL be a top 10 goalie, he MAY be a top 5 but that will only be with other goalies loosing a step or two.

TwoForRoughing 06-08-2012 02:09 PM

Just an FYI, when Bob McKenzie was answering questions on Twitter, he told someone that he thought that Tampa was gonna trade for Bernier. He is the Godfather, after all.

In terms of value, I think Bernier could catch something similar to what Varlamov got, a first and a second. A first and Connolly though would be dreamy...

Capn Brown 06-08-2012 02:56 PM

He's kind of like a stiff Brodeur.

DaAnimal 06-08-2012 03:15 PM

I think personally in terms of value, his stocks are fairly low. His potential is extremely high. He needs to have more games on his shoulder.

On the other hand he is learning a lot from Quick and the entire playoff experience, so his value wise has gone up.

If I were to rate him, I would say, if he's traded this summer we should be getting a:
1 Top 6
1st rounder
Prospect Goalie

Maybe I am overvaluing him but hmm, i dont know.

Next year before the trade deadline:
Prospect Goalie
1 Top 6, whose contract will be expiring as well

But who knows. Management might be crazy enough to trade away Quick this summer or next year and use JB as an anchor, but I know this will anger a lot of fans and DL will probably get fired. Kind of like what happened to the Habs when they traded away Roy.

My hopes are to keep both goalies because nowadays they are so hard to find and once you find a good one, like quick, he will elevate your team!

Mr Irreverent 06-08-2012 03:18 PM

Bernier has quick reflexes, is sound positionally and is a natural goaltending talent. His only weaknesses IMO are that he can get scrambly with too much kerfufle in the crease and sometimes his rebounds can get out a little too far ahead of him. Nothing that can't be fixed while getting a lot of games under his belt and good coaching.

I always thought that Bernier would be more of a sure bet than Quick, but several Kings have proved me wrong during this playoff run.

kingsholygrail 06-08-2012 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent (Post 50671029)
Bernier has quick reflexes, is sound positionally and is a natural goaltending talent. His only weaknesses IMO are that he can get scrambly with too much kerfufle in the crease and sometimes his rebounds can get out a little too far ahead of him. Nothing that can't be fixed while getting a lot of games under his belt and good coaching.

I always thought that Bernier would be more of a sure bet than Quick, but several Kings have proved me wrong during this playoff run.

He also has moments of really losing his cool.

spudboy 06-08-2012 06:30 PM

People forget how long Lombardi hung on to Kiprusoff, Toskala, and Nabokov. Bernier will not be moved next year. UNLESS, they need big-time help, at the deadline.

theMajor 06-08-2012 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent (Post 50671029)

honestly i think his tendency to give up big rebounds is his only real weakness, and that can be worked on like you said. other than that, hes a fantastic goalie and will be in the top 10, if not top 5 within the next few seasons. its both a blessing and a curse that Quick is playing so well, Bernier never really had a chance

I Am Ziggy Palffy 06-08-2012 07:24 PM

When he's on, Bernier makes goaltending look like the easiest job in the world. That's his style.

But his major weakness now is that he gives up one too many soft goals, which is probably due to his youth and inconsistent playing time.

CNS 06-08-2012 08:38 PM

Bernier's two best assets are his fundamentals and his calmness. As a goalie myself, I tend to like goalies like him over Quick stylistically. He's got great positioning, always ready for the shot, good movement, sees the puck well, and has pretty good rebound control. The other asset of his some sort of see as a bad thing. Bernie is very calm in the net. Quick scrambles like no other meanwhile Bernier is very calm. Stays in position and moves when needed to, whereas Quick is always moving. Bernier's got a great butterfly and his butterfly slides to me are better than Quick in the sense that Bernie controls his body better and his slides aren't too strong. Quick can get in trouble by sliding too far or losing control of his limbs/core during movement. Bernie doesn't do that. To me, Bernier can be a very good, top 10 goalie in the league. He's underrated athletically and has everything you need to be a good goalie, minus playing time.

RonSwanson* 06-09-2012 02:52 AM

Bernier has great conservation of movement.

In my opinion, it's almost boring to watch him play goalie at times. Quick has that flashy style that fits well in the LA market. Not sure if Bernier does.

Kingler 06-09-2012 11:49 AM

In term of style, IMO he's the total opposite of Quick. Bernier is fundamentally sound, while Quick relies on his athletic abilities. Bernier can make tough save looks easy, while Quick can make easy save look...less routine. Bernier can definitely be something special, he got all the package

As for trading him. IF the Kings go on to win the cup, I hope they trade him. Quick is #1, and he has more than established himself with this playoff run. Quick contract will get done. Bernier has done all he is asked and now he deserves a shot at playing regularly. I hope DL will trade him into the right situation. The Kings on the other hand can use a high pick this draft, and with pretty much all the key pieces signed for next season, I think DL would look to replenish the minor league system, draft picks or prospects, instead of getting someone who will compete for roster spot