HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Proposal: [STL/CAR] Chris Stewart for Tim Gleason (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1205141)

River City Rumble 06-09-2012 11:46 PM

[STL/CAR] Chris Stewart for Tim Gleason
 
Give or take on both sides, that's up for discussion.

It would give Pietrangelo a pretty gritty partner (a 2nd, younger, less injury-prone Jackman) and would give the Hurricanes a run-and-gun power winger.

Does this sound reasonable for both sides?

Prussian_Blue 06-10-2012 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverCityRumble (Post 50719349)
Give or take on both sides, that's up for discussion.

It would give Pietrangelo a pretty gritty partner (a 2nd, younger, less injury-prone Jackman) and would give the Hurricanes a run-and-gun power winger.

Does this sound reasonable for both sides?

I'd prefer if the Blues could acquire a Gleason-like player without giving up Stewart, but if all other options fall through, this might work... I don't see any real tweaking necessary, especially from the Blues' end. If Carolina could be persuaded to add a pick in this draft, so much the better.

I'm pretty adamant about the Blues only trading Stewart to an Eastern Conference club, where the chances of him coming back to hurt the Blues are minimal.

River City Rumble 06-10-2012 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue (Post 50719793)
If Carolina could be persuaded to add a pick in this draft, so much the better.

I'm pretty adamant about the Blues only trading Stewart to an Eastern Conference club, where the chances of him coming back to hurt the Blues are minimal.

I agree on both points; from the Blues' end I'd like to see a 2nd round pick from Carolina, and could go down to a 2nd round pick swap.

Chris Stewart had a bad season, and might be on the losing end if the Blues switch to a more defensive style. If he goes to Carolina he has a lot better chance of becoming the Iginla-like player people were expecting.

mstad101 06-10-2012 12:45 AM

Contracts would neglect any Cane's adding. It would actually be the Blues adding

River City Rumble 06-10-2012 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstad101 (Post 50721021)
Contracts would neglect any Cane's adding. It would actually be the Blues adding

OK. Is there anything else that would need to happen, or does this work for Carolina also?

DaveG 06-10-2012 06:18 AM

Gleason has an NTC, so it won't be happening. I like where you're coming from on this one though.

MiKE5889 06-10-2012 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverCityRumble (Post 50719349)
Give or take on both sides, that's up for discussion.

It would give Pietrangelo a pretty gritty partner (a 2nd, younger, less injury-prone Jackman) and would give the Hurricanes a run-and-gun power winger.

Does this sound reasonable for both sides?


Seems like quite an interesting proposal.

The Canes add some more offense in Stewart, meanwhile the Blues acquire another solid top 4 left handed d-man.

Depending on what impact Schwartz (and possibly Tarasenko) has next season, Stewarts departure might actually go by unnoticed production wise. I wouldn't expect a trade like this to happen prior to or during the draft though. Carolina would pretty much have to make sure that they could sign a replacement for Gleason via free agency, before they deal him, or they would probably be left with quite a big hole on defense.

JustOneB4IDie 06-10-2012 07:07 AM

Not gonna happen, Stewart will get another oppertunity here next season. Any news down your way in cane country on Jordon Staal reuniting with Eric? Jordon Staal would look great in a Blues Uniform, IMO.

DaveG 06-10-2012 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BleedBlue1967 (Post 50724035)
Not gonna happen, Stewart will get another oppertunity here next season. Any news down your way in cane country on Jordon Staal reuniting with Eric? Jordon Staal would look great in a Blues Uniform, IMO.

They're interested for sure, but no clue what the price is going to be. Almost certainly Sutter is going to be involved in the package if it happens this offseason. Frankly I think the Pens would be smart to just keep him themselves to make another run at the cup and then trade him at the 2013 draft even if they get a diminished return on it.

wej20 06-10-2012 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue (Post 50719793)
I'd prefer if the Blues could acquire a Gleason-like player without giving up Stewart, but if all other options fall through, this might work... I don't see any real tweaking necessary, especially from the Blues' end. If Carolina could be persuaded to add a pick in this draft, so much the better.

I'm pretty adamant about the Blues only trading Stewart to an Eastern Conference club, where the chances of him coming back to hurt the Blues are minimal.

I'd say Gleason's value is greater than Stewart right now so Blues should be adding the pick.

Prussian_Blue 06-10-2012 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wej20 (Post 50725579)
I'd say Gleason's value is greater than Stewart right now so Blues should be adding the pick.

I'd say you're wrong; a 24-year-old forward with back-to-back 28-goal NHL seasons under his belt is still far more valuable than a 29-year-old defenseman with minimal scoring upside, even if the forward just had a 15-goal season while playing in a style that absolutely does not maximize his strengths.

And before anyone says, "well, then why not just keep Stewart?" First of all, that's definitely an option, and secondly, if Stewart is traded, it will be because management has decided that he just will not be able to adapt his game to the style that Hitchcock prefers.

It's the more defensive style that Hitchcock preaches, that was the direct cause of Stewart's drop in production. Stewart is more effective in a more wide-open, run-and-gun type of offense, which the Blues do not play and will not be playing as long as Hitchcock is the coach.

Stewart's and Gleason's contracts are just about a wash ($3-3.5 MM range for each), so it should be the 'Canes adding -- and not all that much, I'd say a third round pick or a very high fourth-round pick -- in order to equalize the differences in age and output.

Prussian_Blue 06-10-2012 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveG (Post 50723763)
Gleason has an NTC, so it won't be happening. I like where you're coming from on this one though.

Is there a possibility that Gleason would waive his NTC in order to have a chance to pair with one of the league's best up-and-coming young defensemen, while playing for a legitimate contender?

:dunno:

wej20 06-10-2012 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue (Post 50725957)
I'd say you're wrong; a 24-year-old forward with back-to-back 28-goal NHL seasons under his belt is still far more valuable than a 29-year-old defenseman with minimal scoring upside, even if the forward just had a 15-goal season while playing in a style that absolutely does not maximize his strengths.

And before anyone says, "well, then why not just keep Stewart?" First of all, that's definitely an option, and secondly, if Stewart is traded, it will be because management has decided that he just will not be able to adapt his game to the style that Hitchcock prefers.

It's the more defensive style that Hitchcock preaches, that was the direct cause of Stewart's drop in production. Stewart is more effective in a more wide-open, run-and-gun type of offense, which the Blues do not play and will not be playing as long as Hitchcock is the coach.

Stewart's and Gleason's contracts are just about a wash ($3-3.5 MM range for each), so it should be the 'Canes adding -- and not all that much, I'd say a third round pick or a very high fourth-round pick -- in order to equalize the differences in age and output.

Stewart's coming off a bad season where he showed that he wasn't able to adapt to another system. Gleason's a tough as nails #3 dmen, he's not paid for his offensive ability.

Stealth JD 06-10-2012 10:17 AM

I think the Blues have the pieces and the desire to add both Jordan and Marc Staal this off-season.

Ignore42me* 06-10-2012 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue (Post 50725957)
I'd say you're wrong; a 24-year-old forward with back-to-back 28-goal NHL seasons under his belt is still far more valuable than a 29-year-old defenseman with minimal scoring upside, even if the forward just had a 15-goal season while playing in a style that absolutely does not maximize his strengths.

And before anyone says, "well, then why not just keep Stewart?" First of all, that's definitely an option, and secondly, if Stewart is traded, it will be because management has decided that he just will not be able to adapt his game to the style that Hitchcock prefers.

It's the more defensive style that Hitchcock preaches, that was the direct cause of Stewart's drop in production. Stewart is more effective in a more wide-open, run-and-gun type of offense, which the Blues do not play and will not be playing as long as Hitchcock is the coach.

Stewart's and Gleason's contracts are just about a wash ($3-3.5 MM range for each), so it should be the 'Canes adding -- and not all that much, I'd say a third round pick or a very high fourth-round pick -- in order to equalize the differences in age and output.

:laugh: Blues obviously add and im a Blues fan. 1. Defense is a prominent position. 2. Stewart is coming off his worst year as a pro, so he doesnt have the value all Blues fans hope. 3. Blues are probably better off keeping Stewart and trading for a better player then Gleason.

Meatwagon 06-10-2012 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stealth JD (Post 50726433)
I think the Blues have the pieces and the desire to add both Jordan and Marc Staal this off-season.

Really? Landing both of those players(both Staal's would cost a fortune, especially Marc) would gut this teams depth and probably set this team back a year.

Your looking at J.Staal for Oshie+Fairchild
" " M.Staal for Stewart + Dags+ Cole, or more because the Rangers have no need or want to move a 24yr old first pairing dman.

I would like to see what you think the Blues would need to move to land such players.

Stealth JD 06-10-2012 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meatwagon (Post 50730405)
Really? Landing both of those players(both Staal's would cost a fortune, especially Marc) would gut this teams depth and probably set this team back a year.

Your looking at J.Staal for Oshie+Fairchild
" " M.Staal for Stewart + Dags+ Cole, or more because the Rangers have no need or want to move a 24yr old first pairing dman.

I would like to see what you think the Blues would need to move to land such players.

Jordan for Oshie
Marc for Perron

smaller parts to balance out the equations (picks, McRae, Fairchild, D'Agostini, Sobotka, etc.)

Out Oshie, Perron...in Tarasenko, Schwartz, Jordan Staal, Marc Staal.

Roster looks much stronger with two Staals and two blue-chip prospects than Oshie & Perron and other non-core pieces (in my opinion)

PocketNines 06-10-2012 01:21 PM

If Gleason waived his NTC and this deal happened, I'd be ok with it. The values are close enough that the balancing on whichever side the GMs deemed it to be would be quite minor and don't need to be haggled over.

Blueline Bomber 06-10-2012 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue (Post 50725997)
Is there a possibility that Gleason would waive his NTC in order to have a chance to pair with one of the league's best up-and-coming young defensemen, while playing for a legitimate contender?

:dunno:

If he had wanted to do that, he wouldn't have signed a new deal with Carolina at the deadline. Nor would he have asked JR to verbally guarantee not to trade him before his NTC kicked in. Gleason wanted to stay in Carolina a couple months ago. I doubt he changed his mind.

jumptheshark 06-10-2012 01:33 PM

Good trade both sides

Crazed Fan 06-10-2012 06:29 PM

I like Gleason. Seems to throw himself in front of pucks.
Chris Stewart would not bring enough back for the void left by losing Gleason imo.

jeromeo87 06-10-2012 06:34 PM

Not a bad deal - coming from a big Gleason fan. But it won't happen. Canes defense is already pretty bad. Can't really afford to lose Gleason. Besides, yes, he has a NTC. What about something around Pitkanen? Canes have a lot of offensive minded dmen..

JustOneB4IDie 06-11-2012 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stealth JD (Post 50726433)
I think the Blues have the pieces and the desire to add both Jordan and Marc Staal this off-season.

agreed, I like this senario. Well we can dream anyway.

JustOneB4IDie 06-11-2012 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeromeo87 (Post 50741417)
Not a bad deal - coming from a big Gleason fan. But it won't happen. Canes defense is already pretty bad. Can't really afford to lose Gleason. Besides, yes, he has a NTC. What about something around Pitkanen? Canes have a lot of offensive minded dmen..

The Blues need a Left side Shutdown Defender not a Offensive Minded Dman.

RyanCallahan24* 06-11-2012 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stealth JD (Post 50731123)
Jordan for Oshie
Marc for Perron

smaller parts to balance out the equations (picks, McRae, Fairchild, D'Agostini, Sobotka, etc.)

Out Oshie, Perron...in Tarasenko, Schwartz, Jordan Staal, Marc Staal.

Roster looks much stronger with two Staals and two blue-chip prospects than Oshie & Perron and other non-core pieces (in my opinion)

You'd have to add to Perron. Rangers rather keep Staal, but if we decided to trade him we would go after someone like Bobby Ryan.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:33 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.