HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Speculation: value of Carlson or Alzner to NYI (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1205285)

CREW99AW 06-10-2012 12:34 PM

value of Carlson or Alzner to NYI

Snow hasn't traded his top prospects or 1st rounder, for a soon to be ufa since 2007.His budget restrictions limit his trades.He wants to control the players rights for as long as possible.

Cap fans have expressed interest in acquiring the isles 4th overall pick.

Isles want to add a quality, top 4 defenseman to go with Streit/Hamonic/MacDonald.
Scouts are saying Ryan Murray could play top 4 mins in the NHL and he may well be an option Snow is considering.

But,let's say the isles and Caps get to discussing a trade for that 4th overall.

Green is a ufa in 2013 and will be looking for a raise on his $5m salary.Pass.
What would it cost to bring Carlson or Alzner to the Isles?

Fearless Leaf* 06-10-2012 12:37 PM

Not happening, Alzner is too valuable. Carlson, I can agree being moved for the right price but Alzner is the heart of the Caps d-core.

just for the value, i had say 4th overall is fair offer for either of them.

CREW99AW 06-10-2012 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupes (Post 50730059)
Not happening, Alzner is too valuable. Carlson, I can agree being moved for the right price but Alzner is the heart of the Caps d-core.

Thanks for the feedback.

I realize both are building blocks for the Caps and would cost a lot.

But,because of Snow's budget restrictions,these are the young,cheap Cap defenseman Snow would insist on, if the Caps wanted his top prospects or 4th overall.

54roughing* 06-10-2012 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupes (Post 50730059)

id say Alzner is what you hope #4 becomes, value wise the other trade should have been Alzner and 16 for #4 and Nino

Thats a fair trade

be that as it may however Washington needs to add a defender, not subtract one so theres no trade to be made here

its funny Carlson Alzner and Orlov are really quality, and id never move them barring an overpay but Green Schultz and Wideman are guys that Id look to move for whatever i could get

CREW99AW 06-10-2012 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 54roughing (Post 50730431)
id say Alzner is what you hope #4 becomes, value wise the other trade should have been Alzner and 16 for #4 and Nino

Thats a fair trade

be that as it may however Washington needs to add a defender, not subtract one so theres no trade to be made here

its funny Carlson Alzner and Orlov are really quality, and id never move them barring an overpay but Green Schultz and Wideman are guys that Id look to move for whatever i could get

I considered Orlov,but feel with Snow's problems with some of his Russian prospects and the KHL,he would not be the mix for Orlov.

Grebs- refused to report to the AHL when demoted.Went to the KHL instead.
Petrov-signed to a new 2 yr deal with a KHL team.
Klementyev- left the Sound Tigers in the middle of the season for the KHL.
Alexandrov-doesn't want to play in the AHL,despite not being ready for the NHL.

Hivemind 06-10-2012 01:09 PM

Carlson or Alzner aren't getting moved unless the return fills an organizational need (1LD or 1B center). Streit is not the type of left defenseman we're looking for to pair with Green. Don't see a deal to be made with the Islanders involving either of these players.

MalcontentCapsFan 06-10-2012 01:13 PM

Alzner is more untouchable than Ovechkin. Backstrom and Alzner are the two that I don't ever see being moved because there really isn't a replacement for them.

Carlson could be moved for an overpayment but Caps have no real reason to do so unless it helps the top 6 forwards scoring problems. Orlov could be on the block but I wouldn't move him for an unproven prospect or pick unless it was Nail.

Drake1588 06-10-2012 01:36 PM

Totally untouchable. Both of them. Not hyperbole.

StrongIslanders90 06-10-2012 01:40 PM

I would love Alzner but IMHO he is the CAPS best defensman and it wouldnt be worth it for them to deal him....

Carlson I would love but I would not give up the 4th overal for him....

CREW99AW 06-10-2012 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drake1588 (Post 50731965)
Totally untouchable. Both of them. Not hyperbole.

I can understand that.

When a young player is developing really well and on a cheap contract,teams are very reluctant to move them.Especially in a league with a salary cap.

In the 2010 and 2011 drafts,Snow has shopped his 5th overall picks,demanding a young star or potential star back.

Isles could move their 2012 1st and/or one of their top young forwards, if they could land a young stud for their blueline.

SimplySensational 06-10-2012 01:50 PM

Alzner is touchable.

Carlson however isn't.

Carlson was our undeniable #1 last year and he had some good offensive stats without being on PP1 for any prolonged period.

Drake1588 06-10-2012 01:52 PM

About right. Realistically, the only way to get young, top flight, and affordable defense is to draft it. Players meeting all three criteria just don't hit the market often, if at all.

High draft picks hold substantial value, but great young defense probably holds more for most teams and GMs.

MalcontentCapsFan 06-10-2012 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liberation (Post 50732389)
Alzner is touchable.

Carlson however isn't.

Carlson was our undeniable #1 last year and he had some good offensive stats without being on PP1 for any prolonged period.

Carlson played like ***** all season up until the playoffs when he pulled his head out of his bag and focused on the game. He has all the tools to be a #1 Dman. But he hasn't even been the best Dman on the team. Orlov could quickly surpass Carlson if he doesn't keep playing like he did in the playoffs.

Alzner is clearly the Caps #1 Dman. You could count on one hand the number of better shutdown Dmen in the League.

fedfed 06-10-2012 01:58 PM

I said that in another topic that the Islanders don't have what it takes assuming they don't trade Tavares. The only scenario I see is a package starting with Hamonic.

wings95 06-10-2012 01:58 PM

I would luv carlson on the wings. I would give up a lot of prospects but jurco and smith.

IslesRock4 06-10-2012 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fedfed (Post 50732669)
I said that in another topic that the Islanders don't have what it takes assuming they don't trade Tavares. The only scenario I see is a package starting with Hamonic.

And trading Hamonic defeats the purpose of trading for a good young defenseman.

WarriorofTime 06-10-2012 02:00 PM

4th + Strome or else it's not in the Caps interest to even consider.

SimplySensational 06-10-2012 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MalcontentCapsFan (Post 50732565)
Carlson played like ***** all season up until the playoffs when he pulled his head out of his bag and focused on the game. He has all the tools to be a #1 Dman. But he hasn't even been the best Dman on the team. Orlov could quickly surpass Carlson if he doesn't keep playing like he did in the playoffs.

Alzner is clearly the Caps #1 Dman. You could count on one hand the number of better shutdown Dmen in the League.

You are kidding right? Carlson isn't some dumb scrub defensively, hes just as good as Alzner, but he can join the rush and carry the puck better than Green or Wideman were doing.

CREW99AW 06-10-2012 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IslesRock4 (Post 50732699)
And trading Hamonic defeats the purpose of trading for a good young defenseman.

Exactly.Isles would want to upgrade their defense,using their 4th overall and top young forwards.

fedfed 06-10-2012 02:14 PM

Well, here are our needs IMO: Top-6 center that is an improvement over Johansson/Laich, elite LD, high-scoring top-6 winger (and I'd not give up Carlson for that W, not that big of a need). What do you have to offer? That's where this story ends.

Dr Quincy 06-10-2012 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CREW99AW (Post 50732929)
Exactly.Isles would want to upgrade their defense,using their 4th overall and top young forwards.

The problem is..... Washington has the same need.

Dealing one or the other for picks and prospects, even really highily regarded ones, moves Washington back a step. Can't see them doing that.

CREW99AW 06-10-2012 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fedfed (Post 50733135)
Well, here are our needs IMO: Top-6 center that is an improvement over Johansson/Laich, elite LD, high-scoring top-6 winger (and I'd not give up Carlson for that W, not that big of a need). What do you have to offer? That's where this story ends.

Top center prospect or established top 6 center?

Is Johansson projected to develop into a 1st line center or 2nd line center?

I'm wondering if Strome or Brock Nelson would be an upgrade.

fedfed 06-10-2012 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CREW99AW (Post 50733819)
Top center prospect or established top 6 center?

Is Johansson projected to develop into a 1st line center or 2nd line center?

I'm wondering if Strome or Brock Nelson would be an upgrade.

Established. Johansson might be that guy (2C) in two years, but right now we need a fix.

CREW99AW 06-10-2012 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fedfed (Post 50733893)
Established. Johansson might be that guy (2C) in two years, but right now we need a fix.

Isles don't have an established #2 center,that'd be a major upgrade.

They have Frans Nielsen,who's good for 45 pts.He's warming the seat for Strome or Brock Nelson.

Carlzner 06-10-2012 02:41 PM

Absolutely nothing. Both are untouchable.