HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Burke Interview (recent) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1205439)

Interactif 06-10-2012 08:07 PM

Burke Interview (recent)

Leave it to me to keep providing valuable info to this board.

Burke and his thoughts on minor league development, and draft strategy.

Yes, draft strategy. He is holding his cards close to his chest.

Notice the reference to European, not Russian.

Wants to pick the best athlete available, best player available. He has always done this.

Cited the Sedins.

Link here: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2012/...rke_interview/

Mansfield 06-10-2012 08:14 PM

this has already been discussed

sgupca 06-10-2012 08:17 PM

watched it earlier this morning, he actually said they have a few guys ranked 'equally' and may take a player on position need(s) within the organization rather than BPA; however, they have not made up their minds as of yet.

Interactif 06-10-2012 08:19 PM

He is hinting there is not much separation in talent in this draft, what he does with this is already being discussed here, move down or stay put. But it would certainly indicate he is not considering moving up. He's taking the BAA or BPA, and if they are close he will take the positional need but they would have to be of equal talent. Sounds like he may move down or atleast is considering it.

Rare Jewel 06-10-2012 08:20 PM

He also said "non North American" so that leaves me to believe he is very open to drafting a Russian.

I was with you before and I had my doubts about if he would take a Russian, But after that interview I'm much more convinced that he will now.

S2S 06-10-2012 08:20 PM

So we are ending up with Galchenyuk or Forsberg or Grigorenko and possibly Murray should they all be taken and we don't move up...

This to me says he would not pass on Grigorenko.

Interactif 06-10-2012 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rare Jewel (Post 50742705)
He also said "non North American" so that leaves me to believe he is very open to drafting a Russian.

I was with you before and I had my doubts about if he would take a Russian, But after that interview I'm much more convinced that he will now.

We also have to keep in mind, this is a high stakes shell game, he's aware GM's will be aware of everything he says, he has to say he likes the non NA's, you can't weaken your bargaining position saying otherwise.

For me the thing to take away from this interview is he's open to a lot of scenarios, and the equality of this draft he cited. I will be almost dissapointed now if a deal is not made, it seems this year there are a lot of unsure placings in the draft rankings. More than other years.

nuck 06-10-2012 08:35 PM

No surprises, in fact it just reinforces how close he is playing his cards. He would draft for positional need if the prospects were rated the same? Wow what a stretch. He does not want to give a hint as to who he is looking at, although he has mentioned center enough that he can't really put that one back in the box. I like the Nonis interview more. He is not quite as scripted. Thanks for the clip. It was new to me :thumbu:

PS He was actually asked if he would draft "out of continent" and his response was he was okay with "non North American" which does not imply Russian or Swede specifically. Positional need has meant bigger and a #1 center but does Forsberg not being a center mean he is out, or will his size (a stick but not frail and looks like he is growing) mean he is still a "needed" player. Taking that one step further, if both centers are gone does that mean Faksa or Gaunce is a possibilty? ISS has both of them ranked higher than Galchenyuk. Is it impossible the Leafs do too? Button even has Jankowski ahead of both Gaunce and Faksa but that just seems like too much of a flyer.

Aplayaz2000 06-10-2012 08:37 PM

i still dont predict a trade

Interactif 06-10-2012 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nuck (Post 50743239)
No surprises, in fact it just reinforces how close he is playing his cards. He would draft for positional need if the prospects were equal? Wow what a stretch. He does not want to give a hint as to who he is looking at, although he has mentioned center enough that he can't really put that one back in the box. I like the Nonis interview more. He is not quite as scripted. Thanks for the clip. It was new to me :thumbu:

No probs, then perhaps he has done his job. re. Center needs. If I am Yzerman, Regier, or Mcphee. Will they take the bait? Good job by Burkie putting it out there.

416Leafer 06-10-2012 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Interactif (Post 50742943)
We also have to keep in mind, this is a high stakes shell game, he's aware GM's will be aware of everything he says, he has to say he likes the non NA's, you can't weaken your bargaining position saying otherwise.

For me the thing to take away from this interview is he's open to a lot of scenarios, and the equality of this draft he cited. I will be almost dissapointed now if a deal is not made, it seems this year there are a lot of unsure placings in the draft rankings. More than other years.

When he says he's open to taking Non-North Americans, this = mind games

When he says the draft is pretty equal, this = not mind games

Got it.

LeafErikson* 06-10-2012 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Interactif (Post 50742943)

My head hurts reading this. Rife with grammatical error, it's also not exactly clear what you're trying to say.

bjtkyo 06-10-2012 08:56 PM

I was about to applaud the interviewer for asking some pretty well-thought-out questions, until the grouped Galchenyuk in with 'out of continent' players.

ULF_55 06-10-2012 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Interactif (Post 50742393)
Leave it to me to keep providing valuable info to this board.

Burke and his thoughts on minor league development, and draft strategy.

Yes, draft strategy. He is holding his cards close to his chest.

Notice the reference to European, not Russian.

Wants to pick the best athlete available, best player available. He has always done this.

Cited the Sedins.

Link here: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2012/...rke_interview/

One year, I believe 2009, he drafted all North Americans on purpose.

That is not drafting BPA, that's drafting for need.

Interactif 06-10-2012 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ULF_55 (Post 50743935)
One year, I believe 2009, he drafted all North Americans on purpose.

That is not drafting BPA, that's drafting for need.

Morrison probably had Mikhail Stefanovich fresh on his mind in 09. :)

Kessely Snipes 06-10-2012 09:10 PM

My gut says we end up with Grig,

Honestly I would take the risk on the "Russian factor" and draft him if Galy and Forsberg are gone.

birddog* 06-10-2012 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kessely Snipes (Post 50744245)
My gut says we end up with Grig,

Honestly I would take the risk on the "Russian factor" and draft him if Galy and Forsberg are gone.

Kid is big, can pass, shoot, skate and put up a ton of points. Reminds me alot of Jason Spezza.

FlareKnight 06-10-2012 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 416Leafer (Post 50743535)
When he says he's open to taking Non-North Americans, this = mind games

When he says the draft is pretty equal, this = not mind games

Got it.

Yep, that's it. Selectively interpreting things to support a certain point of view.

I certainly didn't read anything being different between his answers in that interview. Does seem like they might pick positionally which would lean towards the centers and thanks to that they've got to ignore the passports.

Certainly think it helps Grigorenko's case if he's there at 5.

Leaf Rocket 06-10-2012 09:48 PM

Any ideas of choosing NA is dispelled by this interview, and I have posted regarding this in the draft thread.

Interactif 06-10-2012 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket (Post 50745413)
Any ideas of choosing NA is dispelled by this interview, and I have posted regarding this in the draft thread.

I think he knew it was on national tv or leafs tv and he knew it would get back to the other GM's if that is what you mean LR.

ULF_55 06-11-2012 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket (Post 50745413)

Perhaps for THIS draft, but he's on record of saying he selected all North Americans on purpose during the 2009 draft.

It might be here, but I can't watch at work:
http://mapleleafs.nhl.tv/team/consol...d=970&id=44463

From recollection he said North American plays bring different things that European players. That is not BPA selection, that is selection for need.

Interactif 06-11-2012 10:12 AM

Burke may have been telling the truth when he said he would draft a European at #5 if he is the BAA/BPA, but as for a Russian? His draft record with Anaheim is very similar to his drafting record as GM with the Leafs.

He leans heavily towards NA hockey players, and if he does draft Europeans, it is usually Swedes(2), Finns(2), Czechs(1)and Germans(1).

No Russians yet, despite what he is saying. 7 drafts and counting including the Leafs. Is he bluffing?

ULF_55 06-11-2012 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Interactif (Post 50757295)
Burke may have been telling the truth when he said he would draft a European at #5 if he is the BAA/BPA, but as for a Russian? His draft record with Anaheim is very similar to his drafting record as GM with the Leafs.

He leans heavily towards NA hockey players, and if he does draft Europeans, it is usually Swedes(2), Finns(2), Czechs(1)and Germans(1).

No Russians yet, despite what he is saying. 7 drafts and counting including the Leafs. Is he bluffing?

We'd have to go back to the actual drafts and determine if he purposely (outside of 2009) passed on any perceived best players because he dislikes their nationality ... ummm worried about their love of homeland or ahhh ... :sarcasm:

Was there a Russian he refused to draft when that player was obviously the better player?

thebluemachine* 06-11-2012 10:20 AM

Russia is part of Europe, you're welcome.

drewski1988 06-11-2012 10:24 AM

As much as Burke's track record has shown him to not draft a player from Russia in his drafts...not sure he can pass up on a player with Grigorenko's skill and potential. He may never be close to Malkin, but he is drawing some comparisons. If Grigs is there at 5, IMO Burke takes him. You don't draw that much fanfare all year to drop that much because of a couple mediocre playoff series, whether the mono affected him or not.

Couturier slipped last year, and it looks like the Flyers got a pretty solid 18 year old rookie when other teams passed on him.