HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Confidence drop/play drop (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1205807)

Leo Trollmarov 06-11-2012 03:57 PM

Confidence drop/play drop

So it started a month or so ago. I have always been a fairly good player (A-C division depending on Rink), and fairly good at all sports with golf being my #2. But recently I have just sucked, both hockey and golf have just been garbage.

I was hurt in a bad car accident back in Jan, so I quit hockey for the winter. I assumed I would be rusty at first, but the rust hasn't gone away and is getting worse. It I almost like I am afraid to carry the puck, don't think I can beat anyone, one-on-one, passing the puck to no one, etc. It is also happening in golf, I have played5 of the worst rounds of golf in my life in the past month and a bit. I just have no confidence in my game and what i would naturally do before, just isn't happening. Hell it is even affecting my skating now.

So my question to you guys is, what do you do to get your confidence back. How do you shake that feeling of not having it on the ice (or course in my case too).

It has got the to the point that I don't want to golf and I am not enjoying hockey when I am out there. I even skipped my 2nd game on Sunday.

Jarick 06-11-2012 04:36 PM

I might take a break for a bit and get my passion back up. Watch some good classic hockey on TV after a bit. Start out small, get a stickhandling or golf ball and play a bit in the living room. Just get the hands going. Try and get a slower paced skate going where you don't have to push yourself. Lots of visualization, seeing plays develop, seeing myself making good passes, putting it past the goalie, etc. When I get on the ice, I'll try and focus on keeping a GREAT attitude (always something for me to work on) and trying to find one little victory each shift.

It's like a boulder, confidence. It's so damn hard to get it rolling when it's just at a stand still, but once it's moving, it gathers up steam and goes easier. So you have to start off small and simple and build from there.

hctopcheds11 06-11-2012 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes (Post 50769471)
So it started a month or so ago. I have always been a fairly good player (A-C division depending on Rink), and fairly good at all sports with golf being my #2. But recently I have just sucked, both hockey and golf have just been garbage.

I was hurt in a bad car accident back in Jan, so I quit hockey for the winter. I assumed I would be rusty at first, but the rust hasn't gone away and is getting worse. It I almost like I am afraid to carry the puck, don't think I can beat anyone, one-on-one, passing the puck to no one, etc. It is also happening in golf, I have played5 of the worst rounds of golf in my life in the past month and a bit. I just have no confidence in my game and what i would naturally do before, just isn't happening. Hell it is even affecting my skating now.

So my question to you guys is, what do you do to get your confidence back. How do you shake that feeling of not having it on the ice (or course in my case too).

It has got the to the point that I don't want to golf and I am not enjoying hockey when I am out there. I even skipped my 2nd game on Sunday.

I've been down this road before. I have an awfully bad habit of over thinking things when I'm playing bad hockey and I end up losing confidence and the things i do well tend to suffer.

One thing I've found is that when I'm struggling, I almost over prepare. I've found a way to get out of a slump sometimes is to actually just show up to the rink a bit later than usual, get on the ice and just play. This forces me to just play natural and not overthink things... A nice bounce helps too.

Kulluminati 06-11-2012 05:35 PM

I've been in pretty bad slumps before too, and I can suggest some things that worked for me.

1. Get some extra ice time and just practice some skills, or go to a light game of shinny, whatever extra time you get on the ice will help.

2. Try a change in position for a little while, presumably you're on offense so just jump on defense for a little while. It will shake everything up and maybe give you a nice jump start, then just switch back to offense and you might have your swag back.

panner20 06-11-2012 07:06 PM

I have a very simple solution for you. Think of the thousands of people who aren't lucky enough to "walk" away from a car accident. Think of all the beautiful young people who are cut down in the prime of their life after car accidents. Many of them wind up in the cemetery or survive, but are paralyzed. You have a opportunity to play (the greatest game in the world) again. What if you became a para/quadrapelegic and you could never hit the ice or course again? I bet you'd be crying & dreaming of playing again. I'm not trying to be harsh, I just want you to know how lucky you are. Just cherish the opportunity & just have FUN.

Axman 06-11-2012 07:49 PM

I agree with andyg. When I'm playing terrible or not the way I know I'm capable of, I tend to over think things. KISS: keep it simple stupid. Don't put extra pressure on yourself. Just go have fun and don't think about the game. Just react and let it happen. Slumps even out.

TUCKER 06 06-12-2012 09:11 AM

I started a thread like this last week:
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1203039

you might find some solutions there..