HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Ottawa-Calgary proposal (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=120588)

littleHossa 12-26-2004 07:50 PM

Ottawa-Calgary proposal

I started thinking what Phaneuf would look like in a Sens uniform, just like the other 29 teams also are and here's a proposal, I don't do this often but try to keep it constructive, we can skip the "player is the franchise and I hate you..."

Ottawa gives:
Havlat(cheaper and younger)
Meszaros(upside similar enough to Phaneuf and also close to being NHL ready)
1st rounder or Vermette(evens the deal out, good assets)

Calgary gives:
Iginla(gritty 1st liner and leadership)
Phaneuf(some more hitting power)

Darth Milbury 12-26-2004 07:59 PM

Do you enjoy getting flamed?

mercury 12-26-2004 08:03 PM

I doubt the Flames would give up Iginla and Phaneuf at the same time. That's a ton of talent. Not that the deal is totally out-of-whack, but I just can't see it happening.

HuskyFlames 12-26-2004 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by littleHossa
I started thinking what Phaneuf would look like in a Sens uniform, just like the other 29 teams also are and here's a proposal, I don't do this often but try to keep it constructive, we can skip the "player is the franchise and I hate you..."

Ottawa gives:

Calgary gives:

#1 Iginla is arguably the best all around forward in the league. To get someone of his calibre (and he hasn't hit his prime) would cost Havlat + a top prosect alone (ie. Spezza).

#2 Phaneuf is mroe than ready for the NHL. Sutter has said hismelf he would be playing in the NHL if there was a season. Phaneuf > Meszaros

Iginla = Havlat + 1st + prospect

Phaneuf > Meszaros

The deal is not even close.

littleHossa 12-26-2004 08:15 PM

Iginla would cost Havlat and Spezza..? ok..

The thing with Havlat is that he will be 5 MILLIONS cheaper than Iginla, that's a lot of money to Calgary. It's this kind of responses that I didn't want though, I think the deal is good value wise and Calgary could part ways with Iginla for the right package, someone with even better skill who's established and cheaper? Doesn't get better. The Phaneuf part is tougher for Calgary to want to move, but not Iginla. I don't want any more of these impulse responses, I could of written your comments myself if I wanted to hear them, lets have every fan here behave properly.

10 ft. pole 12-26-2004 08:19 PM

I think that the Calgary players fit better with the Flames and the Senators player fit better in Ottawa. This is just based on the teams coaching style.

HuskyFlames 12-26-2004 08:19 PM

Quote:

The thing with Havlat is that he will be 5 MILLIONS cheaper than Iginla, that's a lot of money to Calgary. It's this kind of responses that I didn't want though, I think the deal is good value wise and Calgary could part ways with Iginla for the right package, someone with even better skill who's established and cheaper? Doesn't get better. The Phaneuf part is tougher for Calgary to want to move, but not Iginla. I don't want any more of these impulse responses, I could of written your comments myself if I wanted to hear them, lets have every fan here behave properly.

havlat isn't even CLOSE to Iginla. Has Havlat led his team in scoring? Has Havlat been the go to guy in Ottawa? Has Havlat made an impact in Ottawa like iginla in Calgary? Havlat isn't nearly as physical as Iginla. When was the last time havlat dropped the gloves to fight his own battles?

Even suggesting Havlat value on par with Iginla is absurd. That has been talk that Havlat would equal Smyth or Morrow, etc. Iginla has a TON more value then any of those guys. With a new CBA, Iginla could easily be signing for 6 million or so.

Iginla is a FRANCHISE player, havlat is NOT. Enough said. The tarde is not equal, not by a long shot.

Clutch Mediocrity 12-26-2004 08:20 PM

Havlat, Meszaros, and a 1st rounder is enough to get Iginla IMO considering Calgary gets to dump some nice $$$ but why is Phaneuf involved? I'd do this trade no question as a Sens fan but there's no way Calgary does. This throws away the whole face of the franchise. The present in Iginla and the future in Phaneuf.

HuskyFlames 12-26-2004 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Man.Utd
Havlat, Meszaros, and a 1st rounder is enough to get Iginla IMO considering Calgary gets to dump some nice $$$ but why is Phaneuf involved?

Like I said, Iginla is worth Havlat PLUS a top prospect and/or pick depending on the prospect.

I'm still laughing at Havlat = Iginla. :shakehead :shakehead

Clutch Mediocrity 12-26-2004 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick - Flames Fan

I'm still laughing at Havlat = Iginla. :shakehead :shakehead

Yeah, that's where the deal really starts to favor Ottawa and stick it to the Flames. Iginla's worth to any team is huge. Add the fact that the game's best powerforward would instantly push the Sens over the top (assuming Hasek still has it) makes it even more one sided. We're dealing in a position of weakness in an already shorthanded position (Havlat/Iginla). We need Iginla way more than the Flames need Havlat (that's not to say Calgary couldn't use a 22 year old point per game winger. Any team could).

Phaneuf is definatly a better prospect than Meszaros aswell. The gap isn't as large as some might like to think however.

Spooky371* 12-26-2004 08:35 PM

100% advantage Flames.

Phaneuf > Mezjaros
Iginla > Havlat
1st round pick OTT with Iginla = 2nd round pick WAS

Clutch Mediocrity 12-26-2004 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spooky371
1st round pick OTT with Iginla = 2nd round pick WAS

You're nuts. 1st round pick> 2nd round pick all situations. What team A makes of the higher pick may not equal out to what team B makes of the second round pick however.

Spooky371* 12-26-2004 08:41 PM

I understand what u say, but what I was say its the 1st round pick of Ottawa are not the 1st of Hawks or Sabres..

A Spezza + Mesjaroz + Havlat + 1st round pick vs Phaneuf + Iginla + 4th round pick are best proposal.

Clutch Mediocrity 12-26-2004 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spooky371
I understand what u say, but what I was say its the 1st round pick of Ottawa are not the 1st of Hawks or Sabres..

Oh, defiantly. Your first statement threw me of though. Ottawa's first plus Iginla = Washginton's second pick? A bit off, weren't we. ;) Obviously weaker teams will have earlier picks and thus they are of greater value but I take great pride in knowing that despite our low draft position Ottawa continually manages to get some of the best players available in the draft. This season we got Meszaros at 23rd for example. He should've been a top 10 pick. ISS had him ranked at 4th overall.

Quote:

A Spezza + Mesjaroz + Havlat + 1st round pick vs Phaneuf + Iginla + 4th round pick are best proposal.
In my opinion:

Havlat, Meszaros, 1st rounder > Iginla
Spezza < Phaneuf, 4th rounder

*Spezza, millions saved by Calgary = Phaneuf

Take out the fourth rounder coming Ottawa's way and there's a chance. Yes Phaneuf is better than Spezza but aside from Spezza having amazing potential himself he's already proven to be a top-six forward at the NHL level. Phaneuf? He hasn't even played a game in the AHL, let alone the bigs. Add the cash the Flames save here and it's pretty even (again, once the 4th rounder is taken out of the equation). There's no way I do this as an Ottawa fan however. The quality is very close as far as I can see but we lose alot of quantity by giving up a first rounder, a blue-chip prospect, and two outstanding NHL players who are going only getting better. Talk about dealing away the future........

Spooky371* 12-26-2004 08:55 PM

hum, ok.

*Message edited 20:55 by Spooky*

Clutch Mediocrity 12-26-2004 08:56 PM

What?

regdunlap7 12-26-2004 10:33 PM

Quote:

Ottawa gives:

Calgary gives:

I wouldn't trade Iginla alone for those 2.

regdunlap7 12-26-2004 10:39 PM

Quote:

Iginla is a proven leader and playoff performer. He's lead the league in goals. There are lots of players who are very good and who are cheaper than Jerome Iginla, but they aren't going to help the Flames win more than Iginla does. Havlat is a good player with room to grow to be a great player. Iginla is an elite player. I wouldn't give up Havlat AND Spezza for him either, but your original offer wasn't any better.

Poignant Discussion 12-26-2004 11:01 PM

Igilna and Phaneuf
For
Hossa, Spezza and Phillips

And guess what.....neither team does it.

Go figure

Egil 12-27-2004 12:10 AM

Calgary would do that one I think, Hossa is extremely close to Iginla (and makes much less money), and Spezza is worth at least Phaneuf, which leaves Phillips as a bonus.

Darth Milbury 12-27-2004 12:12 AM

I'd take Iginla over Hossa any day of the week,and twice on Sundays.

Don Draper 12-27-2004 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
I'd take Iginla over Hossa any day of the week,and twice on Sundays.

fair enough, Iginla is possibly, in my opinion, the top player in the league. Hossa, though, is top 10, maybe top 7. Both dominant, streaky players who can turn it up, and can do it without much talent on their line. The difference between the two players is not worth Philips, thats for sure.

Ozy_Flame 12-27-2004 02:59 AM

As usual, I don't think these deals are fair at all. The thing I'm surprised the most though is that this hasn't turned into the standard pissing match that it usually does by the second page of the the thread, especially when names like these are being thrown around! :D

Ice Cream Man 12-27-2004 03:18 AM

I'm relieved to see that the deal isn't Todd White, Shaun Van Allen, Chris Neil, Josh Langfeld, Antoine Vermette and a 4th for Jarome Iginla and Dion Phaneuf. After all, Todd White is a Sens player that apparently every other team wants!

mazmin 12-27-2004 03:31 AM

Umm... how can I put this clearly?

Horrible.