HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Polls - (hockey-related only) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   1980 vs. 1972 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=120590)

Accord 12-26-2004 07:03 PM

1980 vs. 1972

1980 miracle on ice or the 1972 summit series?

I'm going with 1980... and to anyone that plans on posting in this thread, please don't turn this into another USA vs. Canada debate.

GoM 12-26-2004 07:04 PM

A bunch of college kids beating the Soviets > Pros beating the Soviets in comeback fashion

FlyersGuy69 12-26-2004 07:08 PM

1980 Miracle on Ice easily.

se7en* 12-26-2004 07:16 PM

Miracle On Ice because its ripple effect was known through the world. It really exposed hockey internationally.

tripledekehockey 12-26-2004 08:01 PM

canucksfan 12-26-2004 08:53 PM

Ronnie Bass 12-26-2004 09:02 PM

It took Canada their pros to beat the Red Machine, we only needed our amateurs to do it. ;)

espo* 12-26-2004 09:02 PM

1972 easily.

espo* 12-26-2004 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lou is God
It took Canada their pros to beat the Red Machine, we only needed our amateurs to do it. ;)

in one game.....play 10 against that team and see what would have happened.Anything can happen in one game and that game is an example of that.Nice victory but not impossible like it's made out to be.
everything came back to earth in 1984.

Ronnie Bass 12-26-2004 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyclops
in one game.....play 10 against that team and see what would have happened.Anything can happen in one game and that game is an example of that.Nice victory but not impossible like it's made out to be.

That's mighty big of you. :shakehead

I don't think he's asking who is the better team it's.....actually I don't know, Accord says just pick one, but for what?

Hey Accord, what is it, best team, most memorable event, bigger miracle, etc.....

Ronnie Bass 12-26-2004 09:17 PM

Quote:

But back to you, everybody in the USA recognizes it has the biggest sports moment of the century in our country and that's from a sport that isn't even on america's radar, they says something.

ALF AmericanLionsFan 12-26-2004 09:50 PM

Accord 12-26-2004 10:50 PM

Quote:

That's mighty big of you. :shakehead

I don't think he's asking who is the better team it's.....actually I don't know, Accord says just pick one, but for what?

Hey Accord, what is it, best team, most memorable event, bigger miracle, etc.....

All of the above :D.

Accord 12-26-2004 10:50 PM

Quote:

But back to you, everybody in the USA recognizes it has the biggest sports moment of the century in our country and that's from a sport that isn't even on america's radar, they says something.

Exactly, even many of the Canadians in this thread voted for 1980.

Pavel 12-26-2004 10:56 PM

CH Wizard 12-26-2004 11:42 PM

Ric Flair 12-27-2004 12:09 PM

Miracle on Ice

Up next how bout a poll on which was bigger, the miracle on ice or the '93 habs playoff run.

H2ODP 12-27-2004 12:41 PM

Miracle on Ice.

(Good movie too)

espo* 12-27-2004 01:35 PM

Quote:

And back to you...i agree it's a big moment and says a lot because like you said....it's the biggest moment in a country that does'nt have hockey on the radar screen for the most part.But i just don't buy the theory that seems to hold around here that if it is "huge" in the States that makes it the best automatically.......many countries would disagree with that for sure and as you can imagine up here we do also.....and hockey is the biggest thing on the radar here don't forget(i think that counts for more then having sports fans that don't have it on the radar,know what i mean?).
I like it as number two and i've said that before. The thing is all Canadians know about the Miracle on Ice and i remember watching the game very well as do many Canadians (we are hockey fans after all) But i doubt the same can be said for the Americans with the summit series and so it is disregarded south of the border and that's unfair as most Americans have no information on which to objectively rate the two side by side. I hear the reason being given by posters here that they pick miracle because it meant so much more then hockey,well i have news for you.....the summit series had a heck of a lot more to do with it then just hockey also and had just the highest -end drama over 8 games that you will ever see.....are you aware of the whole story behind that series?
As you are a hockey fan maybe you are but most Americans are not and so give "miracle" spot number one without blinking and i think that's a shame because it disregards the most magical moment of a country that so venerates the game and has so many moments in hockey to pick from. The miracle was great.....but i think you should recognize why we would rate it number two and always will. I'm not going to get disrespectful here as it won't help this discussion at all.....you have your pick and your reasons for it and i have mine......we have a better chance of getting hit by lightning twenty times tonight then having our viewpoints on this ever change.

Russian_fanatic 12-27-2004 02:34 PM

"Miracle On Ice"

Juicer 12-27-2004 09:26 PM

Summit series easily.

This was the first real exposure for a best on best type event between he two sides that ended up being the hockey powers for years to come, and Russia's real coming out party. I don't discredit the "Miracle On Ice", as it was a great moment, but the Summit series had so much more to it. It was an 8 game series that had everything. These guys hated each other. The emotions over 8 games is much more intense than a one game playoff. Eagleson almost getting lynched by the Russian Army,(he would have been taken away if the team didn't ump the boards) Russia was going to claim victory because of goals for/goals against at the last minute, dirty play,(Clarke on Kharlamov) Canada having to win the last three games IN RUSSIA, Totally biased officiating in Russia.

The Summit series was a war, and that emotion and intensity could not be captures in a one game playoff. It is not even close.

Nifty=HHOF 12-27-2004 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juicer
The Summit series was a war, and that emotion and intensity could not be captures in a one game playoff. It is not even close.

As an American with a Canadian friend who never shuts up about the legend known as Paul Henderson.....I'll still go with the 1980 US victory.

Granted the US-Soviet game was a one game playoff (and not even for the gold medal), but there is something more to it than just that. Canada and the Soviets were fighting for hockey supremacy in '72, the US and the Soviets were fighting for world supremacy in '80. When you consider war in Afghanistan, hostages in iran, the potential for a boycott, and the general malaise in the US coming out of the 70's - that victory for the US changed the way an entire nation felt. To me that is just too much to overcome.

coyoteshockeyfan 12-27-2004 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoM

A bunch of college kids beating the Soviets > Pros beating the Soviets in comeback fashion

exactly

x-bob 12-27-2004 10:22 PM

Miracle on ice

Ronnie Bass 12-28-2004 09:01 AM

Quote:

And back to you...i agree it's a big moment and says a lot because like you said....it's the biggest moment in a country that does'nt have hockey on the radar screen for the most part.But i just don't buy the theory that seems to hold around here that if it is "huge" in the States that makes it the best automatically.......many countries would disagree with that for sure and as you can imagine up here we do also.....and hockey is the biggest thing on the radar here don't forget(i think that counts for more then having sports fans that don't have it on the radar,know what i mean?).
I like it as number two and i've said that before. The thing is all Canadians know about the Miracle on Ice and i remember watching the game very well as do many Canadians (we are hockey fans after all) But i doubt the same can be said for the Americans with the summit series and so it is disregarded south of the border and that's unfair as most Americans have no information on which to objectively rate the two side by side. I hear the reason being given by posters here that they pick miracle because it meant so much more then hockey,well i have news for you.....the summit series had a heck of a lot more to do with it then just hockey also and had just the highest -end drama over 8 games that you will ever see.....are you aware of the whole story behind that series?
As you are a hockey fan maybe you are but most Americans are not and so give "miracle" spot number one without blinking and i think that's a shame because it disregards the most magical moment of a country that so venerates the game and has so many moments in hockey to pick from. The miracle was great.....but i think you should recognize why we would rate it number two and always will. I'm not going to get disrespectful here as it won't help this discussion at all.....you have your pick and your reasons for it and i have mine......we have a better chance of getting hit by lightning twenty times tonight then having our viewpoints on this ever change.

I never said you guys should recognize the Miracle on Ice as #1 and I'm not selling short the Summit series, never have, both have their reasons as why their events are meaningfull. But if you were to ask a hundred hockey fans OUTSIDE of the US and Canada which event was more significant, who do you think is going to win?

Also you got me confused with how you view the 1980 game since in this post you admit it's great but yet in a earlier one you came up with "nice victory", so with all due respect I don't think you understand the implications of what this game did do for USA hockey as it produce a whole new generation of hockey stars for us, if you don't believe me ask Brian Leetch, Bill Geurin, Mike Modano, John LeClair, Chris Chelios, Jeremy Roenick, Tony Amonte....the list goes on, they were kids when they watched that in 1980 and most definetly motivated them to focus on hockey.

If you ever really want to grasp what this meant to our nation there is a documentery on the 1980 Miracle team by HBO, truely one of the best ever made in the sports category. CHeck it out.