HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Cox: Luke Schenn-to-Oilers rumour riles Leafs GM (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1206515)

jrgtml67 06-12-2012 09:16 AM

Luke Schenn-to-Oilers rumour riles Leafs GM

Read in the Toronto Star today that Burke is upset with HNIC again. Elliot Freidman said that Burke was prepared to trade Schenn to the Oilers for the #1 pick in the draft. In the articlue Burke said "we have never had that dicussion," "on air editing on HNIC would be nice."

Thought I would post this since I have read many people posting theories Schenn would be involved IF Burke infact wanted to trade up...this puts that to bed for now I think.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/...riles-leafs-gm

Quote:

Brian Burke’s disputes with the Mother Corp just don’t seem to be going away.

The Maple Leaf president/GM was furious on Monday over a Hockey Night in Canada report that suggested there are “rumblings” throughout the NHL that Burke is prepared to trade defenceman Luke Schenn to the Edmonton Oilers for the No. 1 overall pick in this month’s entry draft.

“Typical of Hockey Night,” said Burke. “I have never discussed this trade or any trade involving Luke Schenn to Edmonton.

thecatch22 06-12-2012 09:22 AM

I'd like to think Burke has bigger worries than HNIC. Who really cares?

As long as Burke has made it clear internally Schenn is not going anywhere let the media speculate.

Joey Hoser 06-12-2012 09:32 AM

Burke should be spending 18 hours a day improving the team! 25th place team! Rawr!

TrueBlue86 06-12-2012 09:33 AM

if burke didn't continue these petty arguments with the media how else wold he occupy his time? certainly not by making the team better

DeceiverOfTheGods 06-12-2012 09:37 AM

Have to say, Burke should stop quibbling about this. 29 other teams in the league are subject to the HNIC Hot Stove reports, and when you're in the most hockey-mad market in the league, chances are you'll be in them more often than not.

At the end of the article, he says something along the lines of "a little editorial change would be nice". Really? So the editor should be filtering out specific rumours that displease certain GM's? Seems silly.

Ultimately, when you're running the richest team in the league, with the biggest media base, and you've got a 26th place team with no prospects of signing an FA to help your chances, trade rumours get jacked up. Deal with it.

Pi 06-12-2012 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueBlue86 (Post 50818185)
if burke didn't continue these petty arguments with the media how else wold he occupy his time? certainly not by making the team better

What is wrong in what he said?

He doesn't want every media outlet asking him the same question about Luke Schenn all the way till the Oilers are on the clock.

So he went out and said he has never discussed a trade.

ALine 06-12-2012 09:38 AM

Quote:

What's petty about this?

HNIC reported Luke Schenn could be traded, Burke denied it. Thats it.

caribouPINE 06-12-2012 09:39 AM

We went from having JFJ, a complete dud who spoke in freaken tongues to Brian Burke, a very arrogant GM who loves to hear himself speak and get the last word.

I'm thinking for our next GM we get a guy a little more reserved but not totally deer-in-the-headlights like a David Poile or something. Someone who's not going to blow his top off after listening to the talking heads say, 'Leafs may offer up this guy'.

King Joffrey 06-12-2012 09:42 AM

Burke has denied it so it must be happening.

BruinsBtn 06-12-2012 09:44 AM

1. Burke's parent company wants the rights to HNIC.
2. Burke criticizes HNIC for doing something every media org does constantly
3. Idiot Toronto media doesn't see it for what it is.

Earth to Toronto: Burke is on a campaign against HNIC for financial reasons

indigobuffalo 06-12-2012 09:45 AM

Quote:

Burke is GM and President, so he splits time on duties. Hence why he has an Assistant GM and and whole squad of guys able to make these calls and broker deals.

Burke just makes the final call in some cases.

Further, negotiating trades is a two-way street. The other GM would have to be just as motivated to make a trade as you deem Burke to need to be.

What's Burke supposed to be doing all day? Call the 29 other GMs with:"Schenn for what?" "No make it better" "Is it better yet?" x80

EazyB97 06-12-2012 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruinsBtn (Post 50818503)
1. Burke's parent company wants the rights to HNIC.
2. Burke criticizes HNIC for doing something every media org does constantly
3. Idiot Toronto media doesn't see it for what it is.

Earth to Toronto: Burke is on a campaign against HNIC for financial reasons

Burke's issues with CBC started well before he came to Toronto.

Leaf Rocket 06-12-2012 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pi (Post 50818321)
What is wrong in what he said?

He doesn't want every media outlet asking him the same question about Luke Schenn all the way till the Oilers are on the clock.

So he went out and said he has never discussed a trade.

Yeap.

Schenner has been on the block since he was 18 and donned our jersey.

TRP 06-12-2012 09:50 AM

Having a GM that calls ******** on 'reporters' is apparently a waste of time? ******* Leaf fans are ********.

edit: $cumbags is a censored word? dear lord.

Chandrashekhar Limit 06-12-2012 09:51 AM

This actually makes me think there's some truth to the rumor :laugh:

Avec Fromage* 06-12-2012 09:55 AM

I think this says that Schenn still has a lot more value than many perceive him to have or that Yakupov doesn't quite measure up to the more recent first overalls.

DirtyDion03 06-12-2012 09:55 AM

I don't understand why he goes out of his way to talk about this? Just leave rumors as rumors and ignore them. Seriously..

Pinto 06-12-2012 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 (Post 50818835)
I don't understand why he goes out of his way to talk about this? Just leave rumors as rumors and ignore them. Seriously..

I agree, no reason to get bent out of shape about a rumor in Toronto of all places.

DirtyDion03 06-12-2012 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinto (Post 50818875)
I agree, no reason to get bent out of shape about a rumor in Toronto of all places.

Agreed. No wonder why he's so stressed out. He let's more rumors bother him then this board does.. sheesh.

thebluemachine* 06-12-2012 10:00 AM

Quote:

Twice now Burke has come out recently and had to state Schenn is not being discussed in trade rumors when he hasn't had to say anything at all. (first with JVR, now to Edmonton)

IMO it's because he's being shopped.

Chandrashekhar Limit 06-12-2012 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avec Fromage (Post 50818815)
I think this says that Schenn still has a lot more value than many perceive him to have or that Yakupov doesn't quite measure up to the more recent first overalls.

Schenn still has good value.

GM's in the NHL are not like people on HF. They know a couple bad years for a young player =/= bust.

Schenn's issue with us is simple IMO - his game didn't suit our run and gun style of hockey. He isn't that great of a skater, and is limited in his offensive abilities. Too often he got caught flat footed against the rush, and people pissed on him for it.

I think in a balanced system, where more importance is given to physical play, and defensive structure, we will see Schenn do well as a top 4 dman. I think he can be a good defensive #3, while scoring 20+ pts, and leading the league in hits like he has for the past few years.

I think Carlyle's system will do wonders for him. I bet every GM knows a large part of his struggles was due to us not using him properly.

Similar to Beauchemin's drastic change in Anahiem. I can also see Komi doing well with Carlyle. All defensive D except for Gunnar struggled for long stretches with RW.

Leaf Rocket 06-12-2012 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 (Post 50818905)
Agreed. No wonder why he's so stressed out. He let's more rumors bother him then this board does.. sheesh.

I think its more to protect the player's psychie think about it, as much as we think they are immune to this, they aren't they are human.

He's 22 and he has potential still, people rip on him like no tomorrow but what happened to pietrangelo, bogosian and what not? They took their sweet time.

I am not sure and uneasy about schenn matter in general because I like him but I am not sure if he is going to move or not.

therealkoho 06-12-2012 10:28 AM

Quote:

it's a darned if you do and darned if you don't kind of thing

If he doesn't deny them the the media goes nuts with

"Leafs do not deny Schenn on the block, trade to Oilers imminent"

If he does deny them, they still have a story to run and an invitation to speculate all the more or at least to somehow bring up Burkes supposed "arrogance" with the media and work RW into the conversation

and round and round she goes:laugh:

hullsy47 06-12-2012 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey Hoser (Post 50818153)
Burke should be spending 18 hours a day improving the team! 25th place team! Rawr!

burke is a blowhard .....i think freidman tells the truth .but likly edmonton wants a desperate burke to give him gardiner .....burke is mediocre and now the whole world knows ....a supposedly lesser GM just won a cup burkie ....your stock is dropping fast ...your a bottom third caliber GM and now we all know
schenn was an overpayment anyways .....glad the goof didnt do it

smoke meat pete* 06-12-2012 10:29 AM

Now 28 other teams don't think Schenn to Edmonton is a done deal, and start calling Bourke to see what it will take to get schenn.

If Bourke in fact had never discussed this deal with Edm, then no problems him stating so. A lesson we can learn is, all trade rumours are stupid.