HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Ditched the visor(I think for good) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1206989)

Pierre Gotye 06-12-2012 08:22 PM

Ditched the visor(I think for good)

And went to a full-cage.

Got a Reebok 11k cage(in gray). To me gray seemed like the best color out of black and white.

After taking a puck in my lip last time, that went just below my visor, I think I made the right decision.

I'm not trying to go pro, or even impress the ladies with my looks anymore.

Auston Marlander 06-12-2012 08:33 PM

Congrats?

neksys 06-12-2012 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brentbreakaway23 (Post 50846317)
And went to a full-cage.

Got a Reebok 11k cage(in gray). To me gray seemed like the best color out of black and white.

After taking a puck in my lip last time, that went just below my visor, I think I made the right decision.

I'm not trying to go pro, or even impress the ladies with my looks anymore.

What helmet do you have the cage attached to? I'm thinking of getting this cage but I'm having trouble fitting to my cheapy helmet.

TrueBlue86 06-12-2012 09:35 PM

it's a shame you're not trying to go pro any more, brian burke is always looking for free wallets

windycity 06-12-2012 10:22 PM

smart move I think. Since I started playing again 2 years ago I've worn a cage. And so glad I did, my 1st or 2nd game back, a guy lost his balance and accidently tomahawked me across the face. Was fine with a cage, not sure if I would have been hurt with a visor but think so, busted nose + lost teeth at least with nothing. We have the occasional guy who skates without any face protection, I think they're nuts.

Noir 06-13-2012 05:11 AM

I did 2 years ago.

Smart move and you'll get used to it over time... but I always do miss the feeling of half-visors, despite cages not really being much of a visual impediment nowadays.

edit:

You know what's retaded, I finally made the switch to cage after losing teeth in two separate high-sticking incidents. After the switch, I've never been high-sticked at all. lol

Wilch 06-13-2012 05:57 AM

I love my cage. I thought about the fishbowl but it seems to fog up a lot.

Jarick 06-13-2012 07:27 AM

That's my logic as well. Not getting paid, so not taking off the cage.

I am really tempted though, lots of guys playing higher levels with visors and none of them have injuries. I know the second I make the move I'd get clipped.

Axman 06-13-2012 08:59 AM

But visors look so coooool...

:yo:

Wilch 06-13-2012 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axman (Post 50860295)
But visors look so coooool...

:yo:

It's how good you are that makes you look good in hockey.

One of our league's leading scorer is wearing a cage. Nobody's looking at his cage when he's dancing through 5 opposing skaters and dangling out the goalie.

Stories 06-13-2012 10:00 AM

I've never played without a cage before, but I can imagine what it must do for your vision to not have those annoying bars in the way. I'm sure it also makes it a tad easier to see the puck around your feet. But yeah, I'm with everyone here, too much risk to play without one.

And I sweat too much to wear a fishbowl. It'd just fog up instantly.

I also got a high stick right across the cage (vertically) this week. Glad to have had the cage. The bottom part of my mouth would have felt it.

Jarick 06-13-2012 10:59 AM

That too. Wore a visor for a few months and the whole time it was foggy. A nice Oakley too. I had it so I could flip it up when I was on the bench to clear it but man it sucked. Tried the spray and baby shampoo and still foggy. I just breathe a lot maybe.

TUCKER 06 06-13-2012 11:02 AM

I've been trying to make this decision for the last few weeks.

My best buddy took a stick right beside the eye last night in shinny. Didn't need stitches but it was a scary moment.

I have the Bauer x100 visor and really enjoy wearing it, but there's been an increase in sticks/pucks getting up lately in the games I'm playing.

Leary989* 06-13-2012 11:12 AM

Ill be shopping for a full cage myself after taking an elbow to the mouth last week. Going to the dentist is no fun especialy when it could be easily prevented. I just hope after 8 years I can get used to it.

mikitas donut 06-13-2012 01:17 PM

I took a puck to the face a few weeks ago. That woulda sucked if I didn't have a cage on.

tarheelhockey 06-13-2012 02:43 PM

I've never had an issue with seeing out of a cage. You're not looking AT the bars, you're looking through them.

PaperworkNinja 06-13-2012 02:56 PM

Like mirrored visors, you can still get on other people's nerves with a cage for some strange reason. I wonder if it's possible to go with a flat black or white on the inside and a late-80s-early-90s mirrored iridium finish on the outside, like the original Oakley sunglasses? Or would that be a troll move/asking for trouble?

Jarick 06-13-2012 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarheelhockey (Post 50872473)
I've never had an issue with seeing out of a cage. You're not looking AT the bars, you're looking through them.

Yeah that's my experience. Maybe some people's eyes work differently. I never notice the bars, ever. But I also don't wear glasses if that makes a difference.

TUCKER 06 06-13-2012 03:09 PM

isn't there 8 billion threads that all discuss this on the forum?

:amazed:

PaperworkNinja 06-13-2012 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TUCKER 06 (Post 50873603)
isn't there 8 billion threads that all discuss this on the forum?

:amazed:

Yep, but not too many people go from visor to cage from what it sounds like.

ironguitar 06-13-2012 04:42 PM

I switched back to a cage from a visor this summer and it's made a huge difference. Last game alone i took a clearing attempt and elbow to the face. Don't think I'll ever go back to the visor.

neksys 06-13-2012 05:30 PM

I'm definitely jealous of guys rocking the visors but at the end of the day the risk isn't worth the reward (for me).

That said, I only ever notice the bars when I'm looking for the puck in my feet, and I think thats more of a range of motion thing than anything else.

Axman 06-13-2012 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilch (Post 50860517)
It's how good you are that makes you look good in hockey.

One of our league's leading scorer is wearing a cage. Nobody's looking at his cage when he's dancing through 5 opposing skaters and dangling out the goalie.

Sheesh, and all this time I thought it was just how cool you look. :sarcasm:

Injektilo 06-13-2012 06:12 PM

Finally bought a cage after going without for a few years. Don't like playing with it, but I guess I'm maturing.

Here's hoping I take a stick or puck in the face tonight in order to feel justified!

Stickmata 06-13-2012 06:26 PM

I've been trying to make the switch for a while, but haven't been able to ditch the visor yet. I'm playing this season with a visor on one team and with a cage on another. Four games in and I'm still not adjusted enough to the cage for me to go with it full time. It just kills my peripheral vision. I'm hoping I'll adjust over the course of the season.