HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   San Jose Sharks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Speculation: Doug MacLean picks San Jose to get Zach Parise (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1207221)

Thorntonfan97 06-13-2012 07:59 AM

Doug MacLean picks San Jose to get Zach Parise

He just said this on HC

Quote:

I think a team like San Jose who has struggled to get over the hump is a likely destination for Zach Parise
He also included NYR and NSH, I just thought it was interesting to hear SJ included in talks about Parise

Negatively Positive 06-13-2012 08:10 AM

He'll leave a team that made it to the Cup Finals for a team that has never made it to the Cup finals? Wouldn't he wanna go to a team on the upswing and not a team a year or two from rebuilding? Parise and Suter aren't coming, folks. The only way the Sharks will get a "big" name is through trades like always. Parise strikes me as an East Coast guy anyways. Doubt he'd go to the West if an Eastern team wants him.

Thorntonfan97 06-13-2012 08:16 AM

I don't think we will get him I just posted it because I thought it was interesting and you guys might have wanted to know

Mafoofoo 06-13-2012 08:41 AM

You'd think someone who was paid to talk hockey and the nhl would have a clue that no big names ever sign in SJ. :laugh:

VP and GM 06-13-2012 08:51 AM

He's gonna resign with NJ.

TheJuxtaposer 06-13-2012 09:02 AM

Man, can I have his job? :laugh:

Fistfullofbeer 06-13-2012 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer (Post 50861591)
Man, can I have his job? :laugh:

No.

You are on the downswing as this post was not on the top of the page. Sorry! :laugh:

Janney 06-13-2012 09:44 AM

I think he's probably implying that a team such as San Jose is a good fit for Parise, that doesn't necessarily mean Parise has interest in the Sharks. Not sure about the full context of what MacLean said, but I'd imagine he wasn't suggesting any type of inclination on Parise's part to play for San Jose.

If I were Parise and wanted a long term deal, I would make the New York Rangers my #1 choice.

Arrch 06-13-2012 09:58 AM

Guys, he said a team like San Jose.

We're just an example of the type of team he thinks he'll go to. :sarcasm:

Oppa 06-13-2012 10:02 AM

Parise is signing here and that's that! :p:

Korolyuk15 06-13-2012 10:11 AM

sadly more likely than Semin...at least with Parise one of the parties would be interested in the deal...

LeeIFBB 06-13-2012 10:11 AM

If Parise had grown up in Mass instead of Minn, he'd already be a Shark. I'm definitely on board with targeting FAs the front office didn't have the foresight to draft when they had a chance.

Iron Chef 06-13-2012 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VP and GM (Post 50861333)
He's gonna resign with NJ.

I agree

Sharksfan83 06-13-2012 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron Chef (Post 50863791)
I agree

I don't. I think he was extremely upset at how he was treated when Kovy was getting his big deal.

KpopandHockey 06-13-2012 10:28 AM

Don't toy with my emotions like that.

MarleauApologist 06-13-2012 10:33 AM

He told the fans not to worry. If I want him anywhere it's here or NJ. I'd trade Clowe off if we got Zach, but we need to sign some tough bottom 6 guys who can score, like Winnik. The team is way too soft as of right now.

skilks 06-13-2012 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron Chef (Post 50863791)
I agree

I get the feeling this post season is going to be very boring with Suter and Parise re-signing with their respective teams.

ChompChomp 06-13-2012 10:45 AM

Is Doug MacLean aware that the Sharks have NEVER signed an elite UFA in their prime who has no connection to the team (mostly meaning that they never previously played for us)?

To suggest that Parise will be first would be lofty. Definitely could see DW going after him, but there is nothing to suggest that Parise will make history and become the first ever elite UFA in their prime with no connection to the Sharks to actually sign with the Sharks.

sharski 06-13-2012 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skilk (Post 50864493)
I get the feeling this post season is going to be very boring with Suter and Parise re-signing with their respective teams.

or it could be crazy and both Suter and Parise could sign with the Penguins :laugh:

Lebanezer 06-13-2012 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharksfan83 (Post 50864265)
I don't. I think he was extremely upset at how he was treated when Kovy was getting his big deal.

The Devils are also having financial troubles, so it doesn't seem likely that he'll be able to return.

TheJuxtaposer 06-13-2012 11:17 AM

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice
Parise said he wants to come back and "no way" he signs with Rangers

1 team down.

magic school bus 06-13-2012 11:20 AM

Ridiculous.

Nighthock 06-13-2012 11:34 AM

Well, Hossa went to the finals with two teams that made it to the finals and lost and didn't re-sign ... that leaves us a chance, right? ... RIGHT?! Ugh ... doubt it.

hockeyball 06-13-2012 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nighthock (Post 50866827)
Well, Hossa went to the finals with two teams that made it to the finals and lost and didn't re-sign ... that leaves us a chance, right? ... RIGHT?! Ugh ... doubt it.

The only real chance is that NJD either can't afford him (possible, they probably would hare re-signed him by now otherwise) or Parise simply is pissed off at management (I doubt it, but who knows).

either way, it's a lot more likely imo than Nashville not re-signing Suter. I don't understand why they haven't yet, there must be something going on there we don't know about.

ChompChomp 06-13-2012 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nighthock (Post 50866827)

LOL, but seriously, not when you factor this in, which I don't understand why most Sharks fans don't:

Quote:

Sharks have NEVER signed an elite UFA in their prime who has no connection to the team
Probably should be reworded as "No elite UFA in their prime with no connection to the Sharks has ever signed with the Sharks."

Point is, Sharks have some kind of reputation in the league and media as being a place where top players want to go and that DW can land elite players, but it is ONLY done via trade and re-signings. That part seems lost on the hockey media. Even local sports radio as I once heard Chris Townsend ask people to call in and talk about why top UFA's don't want to come to Bay Area teams but then specifically said the Sharks don't count because top players want to come there. Obviously he doesn't know how many elite UFA's in their prime with no Sharks connection have signed here.

Elite UFA's in their prime (again, Rob Blake doesn't count) do not see the Sharks as an attractive destination, period. There really hasn't been anything yet to suggest otherwise. I'm guessing it's mostly geography (players from the East and also Europe which is extremely far away from San Jose) and travel based considerations. When people are traded here, they love it and want to say, but in the open market with no previous days as a Shark, elite UFA's in their prime don't want to come here at all. They certainly have never signed here in franchise history and there is nothing to suggest otherwise (Although there have been plenty of rumors of DW chasing elite UFA's in their prime).

IMHO, this track record, with no indication of changing, is so awful that I don't even think it's worth it to even suggest in armchair GM threads fantasy teams where Suter and Parise are signed. This track record suggests that it will never ever in a billion years happen.