HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Confirmed with Link: Rangers re-sign D Mike Vernace (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1207557)

Mats Zuccarelli 06-13-2012 05:13 PM

Rangers re-sign D Mike Vernace
 
Brennan Klak ‏@nhlupdate
Rangers re-sign Michael Vernace for one year, 525K (two way deal)

GamerZX101 06-13-2012 05:14 PM

We're set!!!

LordsCup* 06-13-2012 05:15 PM

Re-sign?

Who is he?

Killem Dafoe 06-13-2012 05:16 PM

so this means no Nash?

Ih8theislanders 06-13-2012 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LordsCup (Post 50881499)
Re-sign?

Who is he?

Think we got him when we traded Wolski. AHL depth most likely.

RangerBoy 06-13-2012 05:42 PM

$525,000 is the NHL minimum salary He got $105,000 AHL which is the threshold for re-entry waivers.He doesn't require re-entry waivers. Capgeek.com. The Rangers don't have much depth on defense. Erixon,Redden,Valentenko,Nightingale(AHL SPC),Vernace and Bell were the top 6 in the AHL. McIllrath replaced Bell when he joined the Whale. Parlett and Niemi are under contract next season. Parlett split the season between the AHL and ECHL. Niemi spent most of the season in the ECHL. Baldwin and Klassen are group IIs. The Rangers open up to 2 SPCs by not qualifying them. Valentenko signed with Omsk. Bell is a group III. They didn't sign a college free agent D such as Tennyson or Schilling.

Zuccarello Awesome* 06-13-2012 05:51 PM

Dominoes!!!

TRADE IMMINENT! E5 **

BBKers 06-13-2012 06:43 PM

The definition of an AHL journeyman

pavelich 06-13-2012 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBKers (Post 50884473)
The definition of an AHL journeyman

Hey it beats working for a living! Good for him.

BBKers 06-13-2012 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pavelich (Post 50885107)
Hey it beats working for a living! Good for him.

True, but playing for all of 7 AHL clubs in but a mere 6 professional seasons (add 22 NHL games on 2 different teams) must be some kind of a record...
OK - how about a man on a journey then?

Vitto79 06-13-2012 07:10 PM

meh he has some NHL experience. Atleast they still got something out of the Wolski deal ! pick next yr too?

Punxrocknyc19* 06-13-2012 07:12 PM

why resign players that have no future with the Rangers to an NHL contract??? couldnt they bring him back on an AHL contract instead??? its not like teams would be lining up for him on July 1

n8 06-13-2012 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBKers (Post 50885447)
True, but playing for all of 7 AHL clubs in but a mere 6 professional seasons (add 22 NHL games on 2 different teams) must be some kind of a record...
OK - how about a man on a journey then?

You rang?!?

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/h...0perry/s79.jpg

BrianBoyle 06-13-2012 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vitto79 (Post 50885521)
meh he has some NHL experience. Atleast they still got something out of the Wolski deal ! pick next yr too?

3rd round pick in '13.

Florida Ranger 06-13-2012 08:25 PM

2013 Cup Champs.

Cynical TyranT 06-13-2012 10:07 PM

Beat la!

Machinehead 06-13-2012 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBKers (Post 50884473)
The definition of an AHL journeyman

I'm surprised he's done so poorly. You would think a guy that was PPG in juniors as a defenseman would find a spot somewhere in the NHL, let alone a guy who can't find a spot in the AHL.

wafflepadsave 06-13-2012 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GamerZX101 (Post 50881485)
We're set!!!

Was sweatting bullets.

RangerFan10 06-14-2012 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerBoy (Post 50882443)
$525,000 is the NHL minimum salary He got $105,000 AHL which is the threshold for re-entry waivers.He doesn't require re-entry waivers. Capgeek.com. The Rangers don't have much depth on defense. Erixon,Redden,Valentenko,Nightingale(AHL SPC),Vernace and Bell were the top 6 in the AHL. McIllrath replaced Bell when he joined the Whale. Parlett and Niemi are under contract next season. Parlett split the season between the AHL and ECHL. Niemi spent most of the season in the ECHL. Baldwin and Klassen are group IIs. The Rangers open up to 2 SPCs by not qualifying them. Valentenko signed with Omsk. Bell is a group III. They didn't sign a college free agent D such as Tennyson or Schilling.

I wonder if Redden will play ANOTHER season for the Whale. Kind of a bizarre situation because I would've figured one party or both parties would've figured out a way for him to be on another NHL team or play in anotherl eague. It must be what he wants, which is odd.

If Erixon starts in the AHL I think we're OK. It will not shock me if Bickel starts in the AHL, either. Defense at the NHL level is something the team will push to upgrade and not from within, IMO.

Staal, Girardi, MDZ, McDonagh, UFA/trade, UFA/trade (I would like Stralman back as I think it would open us up to trade MDZ for some help in the top 6, but it doesn't sound like he'll be back.)
(Bickel?)Erixon, Redden, McIlrath, Vernance, ?, ?

Is Pashnin coming to North America next season or what? He wows at every camp and then ships back to Russia.

RangerFan10 06-14-2012 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 (Post 50885619)
why resign players that have no future with the Rangers to an NHL contract??? couldnt they bring him back on an AHL contract instead??? its not like teams would be lining up for him on July 1

What difference does it make? I really doubt they wouldn't consider the roster limits before they made this signing. It's not like they're going to try to sign Parise or Ryan Suter and then go "ah shoot, we don't have room for ya, I knew we shouldn't have signed Vernance!"

If he stays in the AHL, he doesn't affect our cap, and he doesn't make NHL salary.

Maybe no one lines up July 1 but someone with experience would land a 2-way contract somewhere else if we just offered him an AHL contract with the whale.

RangerBoy 06-14-2012 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerFan10 (Post 50898051)
I wonder if Redden will play ANOTHER season for the Whale. Kind of a bizarre situation because I would've figured one party or both parties would've figured out a way for him to be on another NHL team or play in anotherl eague. It must be what he wants, which is odd.

If Erixon starts in the AHL I think we're OK. It will not shock me if Bickel starts in the AHL, either. Defense at the NHL level is something the team will push to upgrade and not from within, IMO.

Staal, Girardi, MDZ, McDonagh, UFA/trade, UFA/trade (I would like Stralman back as I think it would open us up to trade MDZ for some help in the top 6, but it doesn't sound like he'll be back.)
(Bickel?)Erixon, Redden, McIlrath, Vernance, ?, ?

Is Pashnin coming to North America next season or what? He wows at every camp and then ships back to Russia.

Pashnin signed a 2 year contract with CSKA last summer.

Redden is an interesting case. The CBA ends September 15. The Rangers didn't invite Redden to their training camp last September. He reported directly to the Whale camp. The Rangers and the NHL will tell Redden to stay home this September. They aren't going to pay his $5M salary to play him in the AHL during the lockout. When there is a compliance/amnesty buyout period,Redden will be bought out.

cwede 06-14-2012 07:26 AM

NYR cannot 'afford' to let Redden come to camp, because if he gets hurt, they cannot demote his contract. With only 2 years remaining, there may actually be an opportunity to trade him - to a cap floor team to use him til deadline day, then flip him to a contender.
Is it a fact that Klassen was non-tendered? too bad - he improved.
Vernace keeps moving because teams do believe he offers depth and AHL value.

silverfish 06-14-2012 07:49 AM

Good for the depth down in CT

vipernsx 06-14-2012 09:39 AM

Considering he couldn't crack lineups in several teams across the NHL, including Tampa and Colorado who haven't had quality bluelines in a long time. This is clearly an AHL/depth move. I just don't see why the Rangers burn a SPC on him rather than having Hartford sign him directly. Are the Ranger's realistically expecting him to potentially get a cup of coffee at the NHL level?

Tawnos 06-14-2012 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vipernsx (Post 50902711)
Considering he couldn't crack lineups in several teams across the NHL, including Tampa and Colorado who haven't had quality bluelines in a long time. This is clearly an AHL/depth move. I just don't see why the Rangers burn a SPC on him rather than having Hartford sign him directly. Are the Ranger's realistically expecting him to potentially get a cup of coffee at the NHL level?

I'm pretty sure the Rangers are eliminating/replacing at least 11 SPCs of their 50 from their rolls this offseason. Resigning Vernace won't hurt them.

Also, someone in the league would offer the guy a 2-way deal because he's good AHL depth. If you just offered him an AHL contract, he would be gone.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:13 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.