HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Calgary Flames (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Confirmed with Link: Martin Gelinas hired as assistant coach (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1207655)

StreakingRed 06-13-2012 08:15 PM

Martin Gelinas hired as assistant coach

Sportsnet:

Quote:

Sportsnet has learned former #Flames forward Martin Gelinas is a candidate for an assistant coaching spot in Calgary.

Wow.

EDIT: It's official.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2012/06/13...ssistant-coach

DBU 06-13-2012 08:24 PM

Posted this in the Bob Hartley coaching thread because I didn't know if it was thread-worthy. :facepalm:

Janks 06-13-2012 08:48 PM

Don't know how I feel about this. Feeling more and more like a continuation of the old boys club that we've had going on. These are all Iginlas old friends.

3rdEye 06-13-2012 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikael Backlund (Post 50888999)
Don't know how I feel about this. Feeling more and more like a continuation of the old boys club that we've had going on. These are all Iginlas old friends.

My thoughts exactly. We need fresh blood in here.

StreakingRed 06-13-2012 09:06 PM

It's a done deal. The Eliminator is back!

http://www.calgarysun.com/2012/06/13...ssistant-coach

DBU 06-13-2012 09:06 PM

It's official now.

I'm willing to give this a shot. I would have preferred Veilleux though.

3rdEye 06-13-2012 09:07 PM

Wow that was quick. :laugh:

I'll reserve judgement until I see results.

FLAMES666 06-13-2012 09:07 PM

Not really a fan of this, we fire Lowry and replace him with Gelinas?? Doesn't really make any sense.

3rdEye 06-13-2012 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLAMES666 (Post 50889733)
Not really a fan of this, we fire Lowry and replace him with Gelinas?? Doesn't really make any sense.

Feels like another sideways move. Something this club is getting pretty good at doing. I can't help but to keep looking at Ken King to blame. I'm not panicking or blaming right now, but I'm not a big fan of this move.

Janko Unchained 06-13-2012 09:30 PM

I like it in that I think it can help with the young guys coming to the club and so on. Gelinas was director of player development in Nashville for the last three seasons, so I'm a fan of that being part of his resume and coming onto the coaching staff. Like Duck Sauce said, I'd have preferred Veilleux, but I'm alright with this move.

TheHudlinator 06-13-2012 09:32 PM

Quote:

He has been Nashville's head of player development for several years and they are doing well in that regard. Why would bringing in someone who as experience with our star player be bad?

So anyone who has ever had anything to do with Iginla cannot work for the Flames?

TheHudlinator 06-13-2012 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoRD (Post 50889851)
Feels like another sideways move. Something this club is getting pretty good at doing. I can't help but to keep looking at Ken King to blame. I'm not panicking or blaming right now, but I'm not a big fan of this move.

Yes you are, he has become successful at play development so why not give him a chance if anything this signals that the team is looking to continue getting younger.

StreakingRed 06-13-2012 09:39 PM

I can only hope our young players develop a work ethic anything like Gelinas'.

Interesting hire. Could be a pretty good one.

Eradicator 06-13-2012 09:56 PM

Quote:

Hartley and Cloutier are old friends of Iginla?

JurassicTunga 06-13-2012 09:56 PM

I like this a lot.

Has the potential to be a great hire. Lets hope Gelinas 'clutchness ' rubs off nicely on the players ;)

MarkGio 06-13-2012 10:34 PM

I'm good with this move. Gelinas had a solid career, and Gelinas is familiar with the Flames organization. It's not like Gelinas is buddies with Feaster, Jokinen, Tanguay, Hartely, etc, he's only friends with Iginla. Maybe Gelinas can act like a catalyst for Iginla's leadership, as Iginla hasn't been the most aggressively spoken captains.

Johnny Hoxville 06-13-2012 11:06 PM

I don't mind this. Geli was always known his tireless work ethic and for being a winner. His experience in developing young players for the Preds will be a nice asset. Hopefully this move will be a positive. It will obviously be a welcomed move by the community.

tfong 06-13-2012 11:47 PM

I like this signing.

Triple Deke 06-14-2012 01:00 AM

I have no problems with this move. Always a great role model on and off the ice.
The notion that Gelinas is part of the "old boys club" doesn't hold water. He only played a few seasons with the Flames (wasn't brought back after the lockout).
I'm sure that Nashville's success with their younger players is partly due to Gelinas' role as director of player development. This bodes well for Flames crop of prospects.
Wish him best of luck behind the bench.

Janks 06-14-2012 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eradicator (Post 50891681)
Hartley and Cloutier are old friends of Iginla?

Not to my knowledge. But Conroy, Gelinas, and McLennan were all brought in through Iginla. He has also been allegedly responsible for bringing in Tanguay the second time, and a few other players.

I understnd that he is captain, and I'm not condoning this as a bad move, I just see it as a lateral movement if we're trying to get away from an old boys club mentality.

If Gelinas can come in, and be a strong assistant coach, then I'll be thrilled. But I'd hate to see him here based SOLELY on recommendations from Iginla.

With that being said, Gelinas was my favorite Flame while he was here. So I'm pretty thrilled about him coming back. I just hope that it will work in the Flames favour as well.

Calculon 06-14-2012 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikael Backlund (Post 50897485)
Not to my knowledge. But Conroy, Gelinas, and McLennan were all brought in through Iginla.

And this is based on what; the fact that they're friends? You're going to need more than that to suggest that those hiring were the result of an old boys club around Iginla.

Quote:

He has also been allegedly responsible for bringing in Tanguay the second time, and a few other players.
Or, Iginla realized that the Flames were in dire need of offensive creativity up front and lobbied for Tanguay based on previously established chemistry. That Tanguay wanted to come here and given that the Flames can't exactly be choosy when it comes signing that kind of offensive talent, there was a natural fit.

Quote:

If Gelinas can come in, and be a strong assistant coach, then I'll be thrilled. But I'd hate to see him here based SOLELY on recommendations from Iginla.
You're jumping to conclusions; there's nothing to suggest that Gelinas was brought in because of Iginla so far.

Devilspuppet666 06-14-2012 01:40 AM

Quote:

Not to my knowledge. But Conroy, Gelinas, and McLennan were all brought in through Iginla. He has also been allegedly responsible for bringing in Tanguay the second time, and a few other players.

I understnd that he is captain, and I'm not condoning this as a bad move, I just see it as a lateral movement if we're trying to get away from an old boys club mentality.

With that being said, Gelinas was my favorite Flame while he was here. So I'm pretty thrilled about him coming back. I just hope that it will work in the Flames favour as well.

I HIGHLY doubt that feaster would allow this.... Consider his comments about players being players.

"Absolutely, positively not. Management will manage. Players play." - Jay Feaster

http://twitter.com/NHLFlames/statuse...62080837996545

Medium Rare* 06-14-2012 02:51 AM

Quote:

You really need to get over your conspiracy theories, I really think this has nothing to do with Iginla. I would say Conroy and Cloutier had more to do with this decision.

Quote:

Conroy was given a job in the front office the day he retired, he got that job based on his time as a Flame. McLennan got his job through Darryl Sutter as Sutter felt that Noodles would help get Kiprusoff back on track. Gelinas likely has zero to do with Iginla and more to do with 2 other former teammates in Conroy and Cloutier.

How do you know if its a lateral movement? Lowry was our Offense/PP coach (even though he never played much PP time or generated much offense in his NHL career) and the team struggled in those areas. Gelinas being hired to coach the offense as PP likely has much to do with his work ethic and attitude as anything, something that both Conroy and Cloutier would be familiar with.

I very much doubt that anything is ever done solely on the recommendations of Iginla, to think that Iginla is the sole reason for any personnel moves shows a break from reality

further comments are in red

King In The North 06-14-2012 09:09 AM

I see it as Gelinas was a candidate based on his past history working under the Predators; his friendship was a bonus.

He's still a good choice and I'm hoping our PP doesn't suck this year.

TheHudlinator 06-14-2012 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GLaDOS (Post 50901831)
I see it as Gelinas was a candidate based on his past history working under the Predators; his friendship was a bonus.

He's still a good choice and I'm hoping our PP doesn't suck this year.

I wouldn't say our pp "sucked" it was 13th in the league at 17.7%. But our home pp sucked as it was 14.7%