HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Tampa Bay Lightning (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Confirmed with Link: Riku Helenius signs a 2-year deal (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1207657)

I Am Beat You 06-13-2012 08:00 PM

Riku Helenius signs a 2-year deal

Quote:

Lightning signs G Riku Helenius 2012-13 550 000 $ (2 way) 2013-14 650 000 (one way)
https://twitter.com/RenLavoieRDS/sta...72661423726592

HoseEmDown 06-13-2012 08:05 PM

So does that mean all these rediculous rumors of every goalie who ever laced up to us will stop?

TheDaysOf 04 06-13-2012 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoseEmDown (Post 50887429)
So does that mean all these rediculous rumors of every goalie who ever laced up to us will stop?

Depends if we are going into next season with a Garon/Helenius tandem.

PoundCake 06-13-2012 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoseEmDown (Post 50887429)

Nope, Hasek still needs an NHL team to play for next year :sarcasm:

Vasilevskiy 06-13-2012 08:10 PM

well... we'll see what happens with tik or janus next

2 Weekes Notice 06-13-2012 08:13 PM

IMO, this is a huge wait-and-see contract. I think someone speculated earlier that he'll be in the A this year, and he might have been promised(ish) a backup spot next year with Garon expiring. The unique nature of the contract seems to support that hypothesis. 550k on a two-way deal doesn't sound like an NHL starter to me.

I highly doubt we're already done tinkering with the goalie position this summer. However, it makes me wonder if Tik will be a part of a trade package, because right now we've got quite a cluster of 1b's/AHL goalies.

TheDaysOf 04 06-13-2012 08:19 PM

https://twitter.com/#!/erlendssontrib
Quote:

According to @RenLavoieRDS, the #tblightning have signed Riku Helenius to a 2-year deal, 1st year on a 2-way and 2nd year is 1-way.
https://twitter.com/#!/MikeCorcoranNHL
Quote:

The goalie plot thickens with the (soon to be) news on Helenius.

BoltingAway 06-13-2012 08:41 PM

Hope we don't trade Tik. This run really made me think more highly of him. I would assume either he or Janus gets moved though. Unless we're moving Garon and letting the 3 kids duke it out for backup behind whoever we trade for. Don't really like that idea though.

stryfe604 06-13-2012 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2 Weekes Notice (Post 50887733)
IMO, this is a huge wait-and-see contract. I think someone speculated earlier that he'll be in the A this year, and he might have been promised(ish) a backup spot next year with Garon expiring. The unique nature of the contract seems to support that hypothesis. 550k on a two-way deal doesn't sound like an NHL starter to me.

I highly doubt we're already done tinkering with the goalie position this summer. However, it makes me wonder if Tik will be a part of a trade package, because right now we've got quite a cluster of 1b's/AHL goalies.

Interesting, never thought of that being a possibility.

Xenophobia Catalyst 06-13-2012 08:46 PM

I really hope we do not trade tik. I have been a fan since his memorial cup run. I was ecstatic when the bolts picked him and I have been happy with his progress. That being said I like Janus too but if one has to go I would prefer it be Janus we say bye to.

TheDaysOf 04 06-13-2012 08:51 PM

https://twitter.com/#!/LightningTimes
Quote:

According to Canada's RDS, Lightning signs G Helenius: $550K in 12-13 (2 way); $650K 13-14 (1 way). . Not even close to end of goalie search

2 Weekes Notice 06-13-2012 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stryfe604 (Post 50888827)
Interesting, never thought of that being a possibility.

It's just totally speculative... I have nothing to base it on, other than the hunch that Yzerman might want a proven backup if he goes for an unproven #1, as well as Tik's value probably being at an all-time high right now.

That said, Garon and a first is the popularly quoted speculative price for Bernier at the moment, so who knows...nobody but the Yzerman, of course.

stryfe604 06-13-2012 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 (Post 50889085)

Looks like we got our back-up set for the season after next. Garon's swan song has been set.

HoseEmDown 06-13-2012 09:50 PM

What happened to those rumors of Janus going back to Europe? Would prefer he go over there and be a starter than trade him or Tik.

TBLHoser 06-13-2012 09:57 PM

Since Janus is a RFA, perhaps maybe they don't have plans to resign him.....

TheDaysOf 04 06-13-2012 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoseEmDown (Post 50891449)
What happened to those rumors of Janus going back to Europe? Would prefer he go over there and be a starter than trade him or Tik.

There are no rumors.

TBLHoser 06-13-2012 10:10 PM

Even with his two-way and one-way contract though does not guarantee he's going to be in the NHL at any time if he doesn't prove himself. We may still not see him in a Lightning uniform - only the money is guaranteed. Obviously we still have to find our #1 for next year.

TheDaysOf 04 06-13-2012 10:18 PM

https://twitter.com/#!/erlendssontrib
Quote:

Quick update, the Helenius deal will be announced tomorrow, and no, this doesn't end the search in the next couple of weeks #tblightning
Can't wait to hear Yzerman talk about how this effects our goaltending situation. #yzerplan

InfernalDark 06-13-2012 11:43 PM

Bye bye Helge :( You'll be missed in Jyvaskyla.

LightningStrikes 06-14-2012 02:22 AM

Sounds like Janus or Tokarski could be part of a deal soon.

Good to see Helenius signed though.

Kusic 06-14-2012 07:56 AM

Garon + 1st rounder (19th overall) for Bernier looks like more likely to happen. So I think, that we start the new season with tandem Bernier-Helenius :)

BoltSTH 06-14-2012 09:50 AM

I like the signing. Low risk, high reward.
If we could get 2 top 4 D to play with Brewer/Hedman and let the rest (Aulie, Lee, Mickleson, Gudas, ...) fight for the bottom pairing where they belong (MAB power play only) then Garon/Riku would be OK I think, especially if we get a decent goalie coach.

It is the D that makes the goalie. Denis looked fine behind CBJ D and system and less than awful here; Smith looked bad behind our D then played like a top 5 goalie for Phoenix.

TheDaysOf 04 06-14-2012 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kusic (Post 50900309)
Garon + 1st rounder (19th overall) for Bernier looks like more likely to happen. So I think, that we start the new season with tandem Bernier-Helenius :)

Boltprospects has made a couple tweets on that idea too

Quote:

Jim Matheson, a respected writer from EDM Sun, speculates the cost for Bernier from TB would be 1st rounder + Garon.
Quote:

Rumor has been for months that if LA deals Bernier, they want him replaced with vet backup. Garon could fit the bill. A year from now...
Quote:

That's big news about Helenius. Before someone says it, he's not "the answer" for Tampa. Creates more options, including trading Garon.

JFleegs 06-14-2012 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoltSTH (Post 50902981)
I like the signing. Low risk, high reward.
If we could get 2 top 4 D to play with Brewer/Hedman and let the rest (Aulie, Lee, Mickleson, Gudas, ...) fight for the bottom pairing where they belong (MAB power play only) then Garon/Riku would be OK I think, especially if we get a decent goalie coach.

It is the D that makes the goalie. Denis looked fine behind CBJ D and system and less than awful here; Smith looked bad behind our D then played like a top 5 goalie for Phoenix.

I honestly believe Barbario deserves a major shot at the blue line next year. Kid was Ahl d-man of the year. He looked better than the "all mighty" Gardiner, and he was very composed with the puck. Could see him jumping right in and making our D much better. A bottom line of Gudas and Aulie could be scary as a shut down line as well. I think these three players instantly make an impact on our Dcore.

snowden 06-14-2012 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFleegs (Post 50904167)
I honestly believe Barbario deserves a major shot at the blue line next year. Kid was Ahl d-man of the year. He looked better than the "all mighty" Gardiner, and he was very composed with the puck. Could see him jumping right in and making our D much better. A bottom line of Gudas and Aulie could be scary as a shut down line as well. I think these three players instantly make an impact on our Dcore.

How about we get some top 4 guys in free agency and bump some guys down like Lee and Mikkelson where they can excel hopefully and not rush any of our prospects because some are high on an AHL championship? If he wows in training camp then sure, let's see what he's got.