HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New Jersey Devils (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Eric Gelinas (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1207681)

Missionhockey 06-13-2012 09:59 PM

Eric Gelinas

So I was perusing the Albany site to see how Tedenby ended in Albany and I didn't realize that Gelinas quietly had a very good year.

GP:75 G:16 A:21 +/-0

Not only did he do well offensively but he was tied for 3rd on the team in plus minus. Maybe there's a chance he leap frogs somebody on the depth chart come September?

Bleedred 06-13-2012 10:03 PM

Probably not, but he might be 7th D man. He could be provided Harrold is not re signed, and they like him more than Urbom.

PuckHogs29 06-13-2012 10:07 PM

Gelinas is too young with too high of a ceiling to be the 7th defenseman. If he's not in the top 6, he should be in Albany playing a ton.

åboriginal 06-13-2012 10:18 PM

urbom needs to have a convincing season like this. like his last year in brandon. larsson, merrill, gelinas, urbom, volch, suter:sarcasm:

Saugus 06-13-2012 10:22 PM

I have high hopes for Gelinas. His shot is excellent, and we can use someone like that on the PP. I think he will probably start the year in the AHL, but if we have injuries he might get a cup of coffee.

Hockey Sports Fan 06-13-2012 10:25 PM

It wasn't until the second half of the season that Gelinas started to turn his stats (had a pretty bad +/- and not a lot of points) around.

I'd like to see him shoot for a solid full year of hockey, and the Devils can afford to take their time with so many D in the system. You never know, though. He could play well enough in camp that it bumps out Tallinder or Greene or something and they get traded. :sarcasm:

Bleedred 06-13-2012 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PuckHogs29 (Post 50889749)
Gelinas is too young with too high of a ceiling to be the 7th defenseman. If he's not in the top 6, he should be in Albany playing a ton.

That's probably why Harrold or Urbom will be 7th D.

Devilsfan92 06-13-2012 10:40 PM

Pretty confident in Gelinas. I think he'll make a push at camp, but won't be a regular. Another year in the A and he'll be ready by 2013, I think.

Missionhockey 06-13-2012 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devilsfan92 (Post 50891015)
Pretty confident in Gelinas. I think he'll make a push at camp, but won't be a regular. Another year in the A and he'll be ready by 2013, I think.

I doubt he'd make the NHL next year. Zidlicky, Volchenkov, Larsson and Greene are under contract for next year. Fayne is a RFA but there is no reason to think he wouldn't be back. He'd have to be tremendous to outright take a spot from one of these guys. I think its more likely that he starts out in Albany and then gets a call up due to injury, hopefully he'll impress enough to stick around.

Saugus 06-13-2012 11:17 PM

Quote:

This is what I think too. Gelinas has a chance to make it in the next couple years. Merrill going pro might leapfrog him on the depth chart, however.

Devils Dominion 06-13-2012 11:20 PM

Gelinas has more upside than Urbom, espcially skating and offensive potential.

But I like Urbom's game too, not a bad problem to have, big young defensemen that skate well.

Ilkka Pikachu 06-14-2012 12:27 AM

Isn't not knowing how to slot our young d-men a good problem to have?

It does get annoying real fast, though. You want to try a kid out for a couple of games and you have to take away someone on a $3 million contract :laugh:

Darius Dangleaitis 06-14-2012 12:34 AM

No way Gelinas is the seventh defenseman. That's Harrold if we bring him back, or maybe Corrente.

Gelinas brings a combination of size and skill that is matched perhaps only by Merrill, in terms of others in the system. Merrill is more of a poised minute-eater that can play in every situation, however, whereas Gelinas is a guy that probably won't see much time on the PK, at least until he becomes a plus player on D instead of just average-to-good.

For now, he's a weapon on the blueline while not being a liability on defense, like most offensive-minded guys are. That's very encouraging to see after just one pro season on a pretty average team.

It's hard for me to rank guys like Gelinas, Merrill, and Urbom on a depth chart because they're three different eggs completely. I agree with Saugus, though, that once Merrill turns pro he will probably make noise right away. Then again, Urbom should find a niche in the NHL lineup by then. Gelinas too, since we're probably talking about '13-'14 as Merrill's first pro season. As far as this coming camp is concerned, I think Urbom is the one with the only plausible shot. He's by far the most well rounded guy out of all the youngsters that will be competing, and he's shown he can play at the NHL level (very late cut last year). Training Camp 2013 will be awesome, though, with guys like Merrill, Gelinas, Scarlett, Burlon, etc. in the mix.

It will be very interesting to see how the defense shakes out over the next two or three seasons. This is arguably as deep as our defensive prospect crop has ever been, with very few spots on the NHL team. It's a good problem to have, and it's been a long time coming.

Saugus 06-14-2012 12:35 AM

I like the size and skating ability we have in the pipeline. Urbom, Gelinas, Larsson, Merrill, and Burlon all have size and excellent skating abilities. Lou has a mobile and offensively capable defensive corps coming up in the future.

Jared Ramsden 06-14-2012 01:44 AM

Quote:

This. I think he surpassed most everyones expectations for his first pro season this year, but he's not quite ready to make the jump just yet. Thing to keep in mind with him is his numbers might slip a bit next year, but as long as he continues to show improvement in his defensive zone play, there shouldn't be much to worry about.

theking72 06-14-2012 09:03 AM

Seems to me that Gelinas and Zidlicky have a similar skillset, so it would make sense for Gelinas to replace Zids starting in Sept 2013.

GameSeven 06-14-2012 09:24 AM

I'd love for Merrill/Gelinas to turn into our (poor) poor man's version of Suter/Weber.

Both very mobile with Merrill the poised minute eater and Gelinas the greater size and the big point shot. Of course, it helps that Suter and Weber shoot opposite one another while our pair above are both lefties.

Maybe a Larsson/Gelinas pair would be a more appropriate comparison.

That said, I'm not sure any of our top three (four, with Urbom?) prospects has the pedigree of physicality of either of a Suter/Weber, but I've read that Gelinas has improved in that department.

In any case, I'm excited to see what becomes of these guys. Like others have said here, their combination of Size, Skating and Skill is easily the best we've seen on our blueline prospects in years.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* 06-14-2012 09:31 AM

I haven't seen him play since his days with the SeaDogs so if someone can give me some info on his foot speed, it would be greatly appreciated cause when I saw him play in the Q, he got beat to the outside quite often.

GM17* 06-14-2012 09:35 AM

Eric "trade bait" Gelinas needs to watch the turnovers and learn how to defend before we begin this discussion

Getzo5 06-14-2012 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GM17 (Post 50901039)
Eric "trade bait" Gelinas needs to watch the turnovers and learn how to defend before we begin this discussion

I second this.

GameSeven 06-14-2012 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theking72 (Post 50900421)
Seems to me that Gelinas and Zidlicky have a similar skillset, so it would make sense for Gelinas to replace Zids starting in Sept 2013.

I don't see him as a Zid replacement. Gelinas has greater size and I think he must emphasize that part of his game if he is to reach his full potential. And I think Zid is at his best more when he roams and creates havoc in the O-zone. Gelinas seems somewhat more conventional. Lastly Zid, as a righty, QBs our PP from the right point with Kovy on the left. Gelinas as a lefty, should he continue to feature on a PP, would bring a different look than MZ.

Personally, I'd rather dislodge Kovy from the point on the PP. No doubt he scored a lot from the blue line, but I think he'd be equally effective from the wing and it would lessen the risk of focusing our PP around him at the point. Not saying Gelinas will show enough to feature as a first unit QB (though how nice would it be if he did), but just how he differs from Zid.

GameSeven 06-14-2012 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GM17 (Post 50901039)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Getzo5 (Post 50901055)
I second this.

Huh. I thought I'd read that he'd been showing good improvement in this as the AHL season wore on. If not, then I hope the kid pulls it together because he seems to have the tools to be a big asset.

GM17* 06-14-2012 09:43 AM

Gelinas has way better bones (fig and lit'ally) than Zidlicky. He's huge. He's mean. He can skate extremely well, and has a Foster-shot. That said, he's a pro at the cross-ice giveaway and can get caught flat footed at times. There's a similarity. Reaction based defending.

If Gelinas sorts out his decision making and positional defence he might displace Kovy from PP2.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GameSeven (Post 50901149)
Huh. I thought I'd read that he'd been showing good improvement in this as the AHL season wore on. If not, then I hope the kid pulls it together because he seems to have the tools to be a big asset.

Yea, "improvement" is a relative term. Like Kovalchuk has greatly improved, but is still a liability. Just not as much of one. 2-3 times a game instead of 6-7. He has the frame to be great, but prospects/players don't infinitely continue to improve. Some just don't get better. Until he does, he won't a NJD.

Devils Dominion 06-14-2012 09:46 AM

If he were a Rangers prospect, their fans would be calling for him to win the Norris trophy in two seasons.:D

I'd like to see Gelinas and Urbom got a quality look in some preseason games.

GameSeven 06-14-2012 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GM17 (Post 50901233)
Gelinas has way better bones (fig and lit'ally) than Zidlicky. He's huge. He's mean. He can skate extremely well, and has a Foster-shot. That said, he's a pro at the cross-ice giveaway and can get caught flat footed at times. There's a similarity. Reaction based defending.

If Gelinas sorts out his decision making and positional defence he might displace Kovy from PP2.

Yea, "improvement" is a relative term. Like Kovalchuk has greatly improved, but is still a liability. Just not as much of one. 2-3 times a game instead of 6-7. He has the frame to be great, but prospects/players don't infinitely continue to improve. Some just don't get better. Until he does, he won't a NJD.

Very informative post. I'll remain optimistic as some of his positive traits can't be easily taught (size, skating, shot) while positioning certainly *can*. Hopefully he proves very teachable as D-men take longer to round out their pro game anyhow.