HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Buffalo Sabres (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Confirmed with Link: Dennis Persson signed with Swedish champions (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1207831)

Wisent42 06-14-2012 04:50 AM

Dennis Persson signed with Swedish champions

Sabres prospect Dennis Persson has signed with the Swedish champions Brynäs for two years. Since I'm not only a Sabres fan but also a Brynäs fan, I'm quite excited about saying goodbye, good luck and welcome, all at the same time. :)

http://arbetarbladet.se/sport/brynas...kommen-dennis-

Vito_81 06-14-2012 06:43 AM

Smart move on his part I'd say. He had no future with the Sabres that's for sure.

I'm officially chalking him up as a first round bust...if he wasn't already in that group before.

Wisent42 06-14-2012 08:52 AM

Sure he was a bust. First rounder who spent three years in the AHL and never got more than a warmup in the NHL. That's a definite bust. But since I am pretty much clueless about the situation in Portland and Rochester, I'm still wondering: Was he simply too bad, or was he stuck in a jam of defencemen trying to make it to the Sabres?

sabrefan27 06-14-2012 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wisent42 (Post 50901423)
Sure he was a bust. First rounder who spent three years in the AHL and never got more than a warmup in the NHL. That's a definite bust. But since I am pretty much clueless about the situation in Portland and Rochester, I'm still wondering: Was he simply too bad, or was he stuck in a jam of defencemen trying to make it to the Sabres?

I can only speak to last season in Rochester, but he was pretty terrible. Turn over machine. Didn't help he was injured the first game of the season, but he never took advantage of his playing time.

Chainshot 06-14-2012 09:38 AM

He was pretty terrible his first year in Portland too. He shows flashes, the tools are there, but he can't put them all together. And the few times he came close to putting it together consistently, he gets hurt and never got himself back together.

They should've taken the comp pick....

static80 06-14-2012 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabrefan27 (Post 50901793)
I can only speak to last season in Rochester, but he was pretty terrible. Turn over machine. Didn't help he was injured the first game of the season, but he never took advantage of his playing time.

Watched him in Portland a number of games 2 years ago. Looked like he was making progress, but like Chain stated, every time it looked like he was putting it all together, he'd get injured.

Matty K 06-14-2012 11:49 AM

I can't believe we picked this clown over Berglund who was taken with the next pick and Foligno who was taken four spots after

Sabretip 06-14-2012 12:14 PM

WGR also reported that Morrisonn signed with Spartak of KHL.

http://wgr550.com/Two-Amerks-D-men-r...urope/13429233

Rivet52 06-14-2012 01:20 PM

Good riddance I guess. Persson had bust written all over him for years and I knew he wasn't going to be in North America for much longer.

Surprised Morrisonn took a KHL offer already, although he probably got some pretty decent money. I thought he'd try for an NHL contract; he's certainly NHL-caliber even if it was as a 7th somewhere. However, he probably got some okay bucks and figured he'd cash in and go. I still feel bad for the guy to this day. He really wasn't a terrible player for us but things just changed and we went in another direction.

Duddy 06-14-2012 01:24 PM

good for him

MayDay 06-14-2012 01:42 PM

Kills me to look at the first-round busts of the last decade.

Persson, Zagrapan, Kryukov...

All Europeans too. Maybe that's part of the reason Regier has shied away from using high draft picks on European players in recent years (with the exception of Armia).

brian_griffin 06-14-2012 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vito_81 (Post 50899553)
Smart move on his part I'd say. He had no future with the Sabres that's for sure.

I'm officially chalking him up as a first round bust...if he wasn't already in that group before.

I scrubbed his corner of the dry-erase board clean years ago...

Quote:

Originally Posted by MayDay (Post 50911553)

All Europeans too. Maybe that's part of the reason Regier has shied away from using high draft picks on European players in recent years (with the exception of Armia).

(We've discussed this before...) Add Novotny.

Chainshot 06-14-2012 02:28 PM

Quote:

Interesting to note, all were with Benning/Luce influenced selections.

sabresfan129103 06-14-2012 02:55 PM

Berglund......

Ralonzo 06-14-2012 04:57 PM

I'm pretty sure none of us will end up filing a "missing Persson" report...

Sabres Fan UK 06-14-2012 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ralonzo (Post 50919879)

oh, he went there.

Sabretip 06-14-2012 07:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by brian_griffin (Post 50913277)
Add Novotny.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chainshot (Post 50913537)
Interesting to note, all were with Benning/Luce influenced selections.

I blame Scotty Bowman's indirect influence on Luce - who can forget Jiri Dudacek in 1981? :sarcasm:

Matty K 06-14-2012 08:42 PM

Quote:

:laugh::handclap:

Well done sir

Layne Staley 06-14-2012 10:52 PM

We shouldn't even be making proposals on acquiring Nick Foligno, we should already have him instead of this SCRUB.Even back in 06 I was screaming at them to draft Nick, and instead we get this horrible horrible player.

What I didn't understand is how we did not draft Foligno over Persson in 06.I mean we had already started the grassroots movement a year earlier in '05 when we traded for Tim Kennedy so I am still baffled we passed on a hometown surefire bottom 6 player for a Euro project.

:shakehead

This is one of the many reasons that I can't wait for Regier to finally go.Our top pick in the 2 drafts after the lockout didn't even play a single NHL game and the 3rd (Brennan) may or may not make it full time.This is also one of the reasons why we struggled after the co-caps left, we had no top prospects to step in due to the incompetence of Darcy Regier.

HockeyH3aven 06-14-2012 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreddieBisco (Post 50932859)
We shouldn't even be making proposals on acquiring Nick Foligno, we should already have him instead of this SCRUB.Even back in 06 I was screaming at them to draft Nick, and instead we get this horrible horrible player.

What I didn't understand is how we did not draft Foligno over Persson in 06.I mean we had already started the grassroots movement a year earlier in '05 when we traded for Tim Kennedy so I am still baffled we passed on a hometown surefire bottom 6 player for a Euro project.

This is one of the many reasons that I can't wait for Regier to finally go.Our top pick in the 2 drafts after the lockout didn't even play a single NHL game and the 3rd (Brennan) may or may not make it full time.This is also one of the reasons why we struggled after the co-caps left, we had no top prospects to step in due to the incompetence of Darcy Regier.

Really, really? The strength of Darcy's tenure has been his drafting.

Have you LOOKED at other team's drafts? Guys bust all the time, yes even first rounders.

Layne Staley 06-14-2012 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpatterson14206 (Post 50933079)

Have you LOOKED at other team's drafts? Guys bust all the time, yes even first rounders.

His strength has been finding gems in the 2nd/3rd round.But a lot of his credit is pre-lockout.Our drafts from 05-07 overall were absolutely terrible, we have 2 full time players from those 3 drafts (Gerbe+Enroth) and a few borderline/minor leaguers (Tropp,Brennan,Weber) in our system.

Granted, he hit a home run with the 08 draft,but overall his top picks from 98-07 have only 5 out of the 11 players who made it as full time NHL'ers and one of them (Kalinin is out of the NHL).So that's only 4 full time NHL'ers out of 11 top picks (1st rounder and the #31 from 07 which was our first pick).

Matty K 06-14-2012 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreddieBisco (Post 50932859)

I will agree with you the whole way about the Persson Selection but thats about it. Regier has had some solid Drafts since 2008 and has used the Draft as his bread and butter to re-tooling this Franchise.

2008: Myers(#12) + Ennis(#26) + Adam(#44) + Crawford(#164)
2009: Kassian(#13) - Parlayed into CoHo + McNabb(#66) + Foligno(#104) + Knapp(#164)
2010: Pysyk(#23) + JGL(#68) + Sundher(#75) + MacKenzie(#83)
2011: Armia(#16) + Catenacci(#77)

tsujimoto74 06-14-2012 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpatterson14206 (Post 50933079)

This. Regier actually has better than average success at finding NHLers in the draft. Especially impressive when you consider he had a scouting team of EIGHT FREAKING PEOPLE (league average, afaik, is around 20-22) and had to do most prospect assessment by video during the Golissano years.

I think Pegula's bucks have already made an impact in player development in Rochester. I don't think it'll be a long wait before we see the effect in scouting/drafting. For years Darcy was handcuffed by budget restraints, so many of the failures of that era speak more to the quality of the ownership than the GM. I'm more than willing to give DR a chance to prove he can make this team a contender now that he has actual resources to use to do so.

New Sabres Captain 06-14-2012 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 (Post 50933739)
This. Regier actually has better than average success at finding NHLers in the draft. Especially impressive when you consider he had a scouting team of EIGHT FREAKING PEOPLE (league average, afaik, is around 20-22) and had to do most prospect assessment by video during the Golissano years.

I think Pegula's bucks have already made an impact in player development in Rochester. I don't think it'll be a long wait before we see the effect in scouting/drafting. For years Darcy was handcuffed by budget restraints, so many of the failures of that era speak more to the quality of the ownership than the GM. I'm more than willing to give DR a chance to prove he can make this team a contender now that he has actual resources to use to do so.

I hope it doesn't become information overload...maybe a smaller staff is better :laugh:

HockeyH3aven 06-15-2012 12:17 AM

Quote:

http://thesecularity.com/download/file.php?id=7457