HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Dallas Stars (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Confirmed with Link: Stars sign Jokipakka to 3 year ELC (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1207997)

Frozen Failure 06-14-2012 12:13 PM

Stars sign Jokipakka to 3 year ELC
 
http://stars.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=634727

:yo:

Stars99Lobo37 06-14-2012 12:20 PM

Woo!

Hegemon21 06-14-2012 12:23 PM

One of the best hockey names ever. Hopefully he turns out to be as good as he is for my Stars franchise on NHL 12. :D

BigG44 06-14-2012 12:23 PM

FYI ... because of his age he counts against the 50 roster limit.

Frozen Failure 06-14-2012 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hegemon21 (Post 50908279)
One of the best hockey names ever. Hopefully he turns out to be as good as he is for my Stars franchise on NHL 12. :D

He's a big smooth skating intelligent defensive D-man. Can't say he'll be top 4, but he'll be a great bottom pair guy at a minimum.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigG44 (Post 50908293)
FYI ... because of his age he counts against the 50 roster limit.

Unsurprised. I will go bump your thread.

piqued 06-14-2012 12:36 PM

By most accounts he was one of Ilves' better players this past season. Great use of a 7th rounder. I assume he'll be joining CP.

usefulfiction 06-14-2012 12:54 PM

I just saw Jim Lites and Jyrki Jokipakka with 2 other younger guys at Bone Daddy's in Plano. Recognized Lites immediately, didn't recognize the 3 with him until my bro texted me that we had just signed Jyrki so I looked him up and sure enough he was one of the 3!

So apparently every ELC comes with a delicious BBQ lunch!

Frozen Failure 06-14-2012 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usefulfiction (Post 50909505)
I just saw Jim Lites and Jyrki Jokipakka with 2 other younger guys at Bone Daddy's in Plano. Recognized Lites immediately, didn't recognize the 3 with him until my bro texted me that we had just signed Jyrki so I looked him up and sure enough he was one of the 3!

So apparently every ELC comes with a delicious BBQ lunch!

Describe the other two guys.

Hegemon21 06-14-2012 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usefulfiction (Post 50909505)
I just saw Jim Lites and Jyrki Jokipakka with 2 other younger guys at Bone Daddy's in Plano. Recognized Lites immediately, didn't recognize the 3 with him until my bro texted me that we had just signed Jyrki so I looked him up and sure enough he was one of the 3!

So apparently every ELC comes with a delicious BBQ lunch!

Welcome to TX Jyrki! Enjoy the finest of breastaurants. :naughty:

BigG44 06-14-2012 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frozen Failure (Post 50909963)
Describe the other two guys.

Probably satisfied with the food and eye candy.

txomisc 06-14-2012 01:26 PM

I had thought Riverdeck was going to stay overseas another year. Texas' group of defenseman has potential to be very very good next season, especially if Dillon doesnt make the big club and lukowich doesnt go elsewhere.

Hull Fan 06-14-2012 01:29 PM

Is he for sure coming over this year? Just because he signed an ELC doesn't mean he'll be in Austin this year. I imagine Ilves would love to have him back at least one more season and if it means he gets top pairing minutes over there vs. bottom pairing minutes in Austin then I'd rather he remain in Finland one more year.

usefulfiction 06-14-2012 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigG44 (Post 50910231)
Probably satisfied with the food and eye candy.


:laugh:

piqued 06-14-2012 01:44 PM

Well he'll be 21 by next season, so it's not like he's just a kid at this point. I think he's ready.

LatvianTwist 06-14-2012 01:57 PM

I'd love to see that signature.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigG44 (Post 50910231)
Probably satisfied with the food and eye candy.

:laugh:

Jere26 06-14-2012 02:27 PM

Oh yes. Given the season he's had, not really surprising, but you never know. Austin will have some great d-men in future.

Finnish media speculates JJ is going to stay at Ilves for one more year, despite signing an ELC with Dallas. He will get big minutes for Ilves for sure, only question is, how well will he perform at the Development Camp and convince Stars staff to open a roster spot with big minutes for him already this year in Austin.

edit. They also write he might participate at the preseason camp with the 'big' Stars.

Hull Fan 06-14-2012 03:16 PM

Both the development camp and preseason camp can only help. If he's not getting 20 minutes a night in Austin because Nemeth, Olesiak, Dillion are then going back to Finland is the best thing for him. If he can get minutes and he wants to come over now, then great. Either situation seems like a winner to me.

BigG44 06-14-2012 03:31 PM

I kind of hope he stays in Finland. I know it's not considered the "best" European league, but from everything I've read it's the closest to NA hockey.

He might be physically ready to come over here, but I think he'll probably get better minutes staying at home next season. In 2013-14, I think we'll see Dillon for sure out of the AHL (though I believe he'll already make the jump this season), and IMO you'll probably see Nemeth making the jump as well. Jyrkipakka and Oleksiak could get prime minutes in 2013-14.

Regardless ... I think it's a win-win no matter where he plays. Sounds like he'll be in a very good situation with either team.

glovesave_35 06-14-2012 06:42 PM

I don't think we have just so many great defense prospects that these guys can't get solid minutes in Austin. Nemeth, Oleksiak, Dillon (I have him penciled in the Dallas lineup), and Jyrki possibly. What's the issue?

BigG44 06-14-2012 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glovesave_35 (Post 50923949)
I don't think we have just so many great defense prospects that these guys can't get solid minutes in Austin. Nemeth, Oleksiak, Dillon (I have him penciled in the Dallas lineup), and Jyrki possibly. What's the issue?

They are also very high on Benn. He could be playing 3rd pair minutes in Austin or the #1 D in Finland.

Like I said ... it's not a big deal ... but I do think he'll end up back in Finland for at least one more year.

glovesave_35 06-14-2012 08:07 PM

I'm hoping Benn is the 7th D-man in Dallas and thus a non-issue. Even if he were still in Texas (probably) I'm still counting on Dillon making the team out of camp thus leaving a top 4 spot for Joki. Last thing I remember Jackson saying gave me the impression that they feel he's ready.

Joki probably will stay in Finland for another year but if we could get him over here in a top-4 capacity I think that's the right way to go. He's old enough and experienced enough in a men's league, no real reason to delay things.

Hull Fan 06-14-2012 10:16 PM

I'd rather Benn play minutes in Austin than sit on the bench in Dallas. They've already got Pardy as the healthy scratch there's no reason to sit Benn.

Either way as long as he's getting primo minutes that's all that matters to me.

Frozen Failure 06-14-2012 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glovesave_35 (Post 50927157)
I'm hoping Benn is the 7th D-man in Dallas and thus a non-issue. Even if he were still in Texas (probably) I'm still counting on Dillon making the team out of camp thus leaving a top 4 spot for Joki. Last thing I remember Jackson saying gave me the impression that they feel he's ready.

Joki probably will stay in Finland for another year but if we could get him over here in a top-4 capacity I think that's the right way to go. He's old enough and experienced enough in a men's league, no real reason to delay things.

I would really rather have Fistric riding the pine than Jordie Benn on the roster.

glovesave_35 06-14-2012 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hull Fan (Post 50931701)
I'd rather Benn play minutes in Austin than sit on the bench in Dallas. They've already got Pardy as the healthy scratch there's no reason to sit Benn.

Either way as long as he's getting primo minutes that's all that matters to me.

I personally don't think they're "very high" on Jordie Benn although I do think they see him as a usable piece. I could be wrong, and I liked what I saw from him, but I just don't see him as a player they're really worried about taking a ton of care with as far as his development goes. They got him for nothing and watched him develop a good deal. He'll be 25 at the start of the season - that's pretty much do something or get on your way age.

In an ideal situation your 7th defenseman is an NHL caliber player - Pardy is not an NHL caliber player but Jo Benn is (IMO). When your 7th defenseman is a legit player you can tailor your defense corps on a given game to your opposition; Fistric could get some assignments and Benn could get others as they both play a different style. If Benn doesn't make a contribution at the NHL level soon he's going to be passed without really ever having gotten a chance.

piqued 07-12-2012 11:55 PM

Sounds like the decision has been made that he'll go back to Ilves for one more season.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:03 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.