HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Should Roenick be kept around? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=120820)

Roger's Pancreas* 12-28-2004 02:56 PM

Should Roenick be kept around?

This is assuming the new CBA allows Carter, Richards, Rucizka to get signed;
Should Jeremy Roenick be resigned w/ a more reasonable salary for more of a hole filler. I'm not sure he can handle the full 82 games but if he's kept around to replace an injured center or winger I'm sure he could more than hold his own. He's got alot of pride so asking him to be a part timer I'm sure is going to sting, but if he resigns for that role would anyone do it?

Dr Love 12-28-2004 02:57 PM

He defered money last year, if they needed him to do it again he probably would.

bruins4777* 12-28-2004 05:59 PM

Of course, i think he'd be great for development. The flyers should find some way to dump other guys though...waaaaayyy too much at center.

I'm kinda new to your section, but i use to be a flyers fan, and i live near the philly area, bout 2 hours away. So i see all of their games. I was a flyers fan back when cechmanek was around, but once cechmanek left so did i. I like esche a lot and roenick is my fav flyer other than esche. I like the flyers to an extent still, but not nearly as much as others now...Anyways, i follow the flyers a lot..

Dr Love 12-28-2004 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruins4777
Of course, i think he'd be great for development. The flyers should find some way to dump other guys though...waaaaayyy too much at center.

Roenick finished the season as a RW. Of course if Zhamnov isn't back, he's back to center.

Blindside9711 12-28-2004 06:04 PM

Quote:

I'm kinda new to your section, but i use to be a flyers fan, and i live near the philly area, bout 2 hours away. So i see all of their games. I was a flyers fan back when cechmanek was around, but once cechmanek left so did i. I like esche a lot and roenick is my fav flyer other than esche. I like the flyers to an extent still, but not nearly as much as others now...Anyways, i follow the flyers a lot..

Wait... The Flyers told Checko to hit the bricks and you STOPPED being a Flyers fan? Odd... I thought that was one of the smartest things they'd done in years... To each their own I suppose...
Anyways... hell yeah JR should be kept around for a couple more years. He still has some gas left in the tank. This is a guy who pours his heart, soul and guts out for the game and THAT is what we need more of on the team. Even if his skill has deteriorated some, he is still intense and inspirational on the ice and that will definitely rub off on the younger bucks coming through the system in the near future.

bruins4777* 12-28-2004 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blindside9711
Wait... The Flyers told Checko to hit the bricks and you STOPPED being a Flyers fan? Odd... I thought that was one of the smartest things they'd done in years... To each their own I suppose...
Anyways... hell yeah JR should be kept around for a couple more years. He still has some gas left in the tank. This is a guy who pours his heart, soul and guts out for the game and THAT is what we need more of on the team. Even if his skill has deteriorated some, he is still intense and inspirational on the ice and that will definitely rub off on the younger bucks coming through the system in the near future.

roaming chick magnet is one of my fav goalies. Normally i like poised goalies, but cechmanek is just so entertaining to watch. I love the guy and i feel WAY too much blame was given to him. I was saying keep cechmanek for one more year, then esche will be fully ready. Apparently esche was ready anyways...I don't know about other flyers fans, but once they signed hackett, as a bruins fan, i immediately said that esche would end the season as starter for the flyers and would take them deep. That part was right. Although i think cechmanek could have taken them all the way....

As for JR at RW, i don't like him there. He's a center and should stay there, where he is best. I don't like zhamnov. He was great in the devils series, but after that he put up what? 1 point the rest of the playoffs. I think the flyers should just keep JR and handzus, give sharp a 3rd line role and umberger and carter a chance at 3rd/4th line. I know they want to ease carter, but giving him a crap 4th line role would be a use. At least 3rd line. I think by the end of one season with the flyers carter could be an average 2nd liner.

DeleteThisAccount 12-28-2004 10:48 PM

Quote:

roaming chick magnet is one of my fav goalies. Normally i like poised goalies, but cechmanek is just so entertaining to watch. I love the guy and i feel WAY too much blame was given to him. I was saying keep cechmanek for one more year, then esche will be fully ready. Apparently esche was ready anyways...I don't know about other flyers fans, but once they signed hackett, as a bruins fan, i immediately said that esche would end the season as starter for the flyers and would take them deep. That part was right. Although i think cechmanek could have taken them all the way....

As for JR at RW, i don't like him there. He's a center and should stay there, where he is best. I don't like zhamnov. He was great in the devils series, but after that he put up what? 1 point the rest of the playoffs. I think the flyers should just keep JR and handzus, give sharp a 3rd line role and umberger and carter a chance at 3rd/4th line. I know they want to ease carter, but giving him a crap 4th line role would be a use. At least 3rd line. I think by the end of one season with the flyers carter could be an average 2nd liner.

Hackett was brought in as a mentor to Esche, so pretty much everybody in Philly was thinking Esche would finish the season. Hackett was a safety net, just in case. I don't think the Flyers would've done any better with Cechmanek, personally. I feel that Toronto would have exploited some of his gaping holes and possibly taken the series to seven, maybe even winning it. If the Flyers had won in seven, they'd have been even worse off against Tampa. They were drained as it was come game seven in Tampa.

As for JR at RW, I disagree. I believe he can be more effective as a winger and will probably last longer. The Flyers don't need him to do what he was once best at, but only to stick around for most of the season and then play his guts out (again) come mid April. Plus there are plenty of centers on the team already, especially if Zhamnov is re-signed.

Blindside9711 12-28-2004 10:55 PM

I agree with you that Hackett was one of the worst signings in Flyers history, but I can say without a shadow of a doubt that there was as much chance of the Flyers winning with Checko in net, as there is of the Leafs winning with Mats as captain. For those of you still scratching your heads, zero chance.

I disagree about Zhamnov. He came in, played 2nd line duties with Gags and immediately there was a marked improvement in Simon's game. I think he's the perfect pivot to play in the middle of Gagne and say, Knuble now...

swflyers8* 12-29-2004 07:31 AM

Quote:

Should Jeremy Roenick be resigned w/ a more reasonable salary for more of a hole filler.
Definitely. JR is a good guy to have on a team. He's done a lot for the club and would be a good asset to have with all the new guys coming in. Also, he is good for some goals in the playoffs unlike the other guys we have or had.

Quote:

Normally i like poised goalies, but cechmanek is just so entertaining to watch. I love the guy and i feel WAY too much blame was given to him.
Entertaining is not the word I would use for Roman. Heartstopping maybe. You are always wondering if he is going to let a soft goal in at the end of the game right when you need him to make the big save. He moved on to LA and now he may not even start there since they got Garon. He has gone downhill since he left here.

Quote:

I don't like zhamnov.
He's a good playmaker and sees the ice very well. I could maybe see a line with him, Gagne and Knuble putting up decent numbers.

Toonces 12-29-2004 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HungryforHockey25
He's a good playmaker and sees the ice very well. I could maybe see a line with him, Gagne and Knuble putting up decent numbers.

Zhamnov is an extremely skilled hockey player. Pure offensive talent, coupled with a very responcible defensive game. He's a rare package, and very worthy of re-signing.

Alot of players dissapeared after the Devils series, but Zhamnov was still creating scoring chances, he just didn't have anybody finishing.

swflyers8* 12-29-2004 12:13 PM

Quote:

Alot of players dissapeared after the Devils series, but Zhamnov was still creating scoring chances, he just didn't have anybody finishing.
Your statement further gives you an idea of what type of player JR is. After everything he endured in the past year, he still played his heart out. He ended the Leafs run in Game 6 and was integral in the win we had against TB's Game 6. The guy wants to win a Cup and he is a good guy for hockey. He says what is on his mind and doesn't filter it. He also sticks up for the younger guys. During the time that the Flyers lost all those games and he got messed up in Buffalo, he was sticking up for Willy and Gagne because they weren't scoring. He will stick up for any one of his teammates. JR is unfiltered, which can be bad and good. ;)

Roger's Pancreas* 12-29-2004 12:36 PM

When Gags and Zhamnov were on a line together there was instant chemistry no doubt about that. Ruzicka is said to pass like a laser rarely missing his mark. A line of Gagne-Zhamnov-Ruzicka would probably be our best scoring line.

Roenick is loud and has no problem voicing his displeasure, which is why he would be great with some of the younger players. He would be sure to let Carter,Richards,Fedoruk know what's wrong with their game and how to improve it. More importantly we need his cluth goal scoring in some play off games.

It Kills Me 12-29-2004 02:20 PM

Quote:

So am I, I am a hockey fan...that lives in toronto...and likes to eat chicken......ooo and tacos. :D

What do you think JR would sign at? 2 mill?

FlyersFan10* 12-29-2004 05:31 PM

As much as I like Roenick, I think they should buy him out when they have the opportunity. It's time to part with JR, JL, TA, Donnie Brash, and Todd Fedoruk. I say let the kids play as much as possible. Giving guys like Richards, Carter, Ruzicka, and Umberger as much time as possible without fear of being bumped. Let them learn the game at the pro-level. I mean, it isn't going to hurt us any. It's not as if we won anything with the vets anyways. And we still have lots of vets available from a leadership stand point.

DeleteThisAccount 12-29-2004 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyersFan10
As much as I like Roenick, I think they should buy him out when they have the opportunity. It's time to part with JR, JL, TA, Donnie Brash, and Todd Fedoruk. I say let the kids play as much as possible. Giving guys like Richards, Carter, Ruzicka, and Umberger as much time as possible without fear of being bumped. Let them learn the game at the pro-level. I mean, it isn't going to hurt us any. It's not as if we won anything with the vets anyways. And we still have lots of vets available from a leadership stand point.

Sometimes just forcing the youngins into pro play will hurt their career more than help it. Before ditching everybody in the organization, I'd say let them develop more in the system a little. I agree that Johnny and Tony probably need to go. Brashear hasn't been enforcing enough, so he's a bit of a waste, too. Fedoruk would be better if he learned how to play hockey along with getting his face crunched every other month. Even with a youth movement, I think JR is important as a character guy and is someone who can offer advice to the young guys. He is one of those all-star type people, you know.

Roger's Pancreas* 12-29-2004 10:34 PM

Why would we get rid of Fedoruk? He does the same thing that Brash does (his win loss stats are a little low) and he's $1,625,00 less. Fedoruk is also 25 years old so he fits in perfectly with a salary cap and youth movement.

Yertle The Turtle 12-30-2004 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth
Why would we get rid of Fedoruk? He does the same thing that Brash does (his win loss stats are a little low) and he's $1,625,00 less. Fedoruk is also 25 years old so he fits in perfectly with a salary cap and youth movement.

But he cant play hockey :) lol

It Kills Me 12-30-2004 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyerfreak941
But he cant play hockey :) lol

Does that matter?

Blindside9711 12-30-2004 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skittles
Does that matter?

Do you ever say anything constructive? :dunno:

stanley 12-30-2004 12:44 PM

Youth, shmouth. "Potential" is Brooke Burke with herpes - it looks good, but keep back 500 feet. At least put on gloves before touching.

Let's separate ourselves for a moment from subjectivity. The problem with Roenick is the amount of money he's owed. Can they get equal production from one of their young guys at center? No way in heck, but they'll get far greater production per dollar. To me, this is the allure of their younger players. Plus, they'd have more payroll flexibility to go out and sign - well, somebody like Jeremy Roenick for much less than he currently makes.

-----------------
Aside: If the rumors that the new CBA will contain a reduction in the minimum UFA age, it will be interesting to see how this affects the way teams do business. On the surface, it appears like a great deal for the players, but I'm not so sure. Over time, I've come to the conclusion that giving 31-year-old players outrageous, lengthy contracts is sheer idiocy. They're getting paid for past production. Now 27- and 28-year-old players are a different story. They seem like a much sounder investment for a franchise. It leaves the older players with fewer options. Play for less or retire.

That's how it appears to me on the surface. Comments and suggestions are welcome.
-----------------

I think Roenick has intangibles that make him valuable, but they're impossible to quantify and I suspect they're overrated (I have no evidence to support or refute either claim, it's just a hunch). Still, if they have the opportunity to get out from under the Roenick, Amonte, and LeClair contracts, they should do it. The good news is that the contracts only last two, one, and two more years, respectively.

FlyersFan10* 12-31-2004 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stanley
Still, if they have the opportunity to get out from under the Roenick, Amonte, and LeClair contracts, they should do it. The good news is that the contracts only last two, one, and two more years, respectively.

The only problem is that there are still years on there. The fact of the matter is that the two year period means it's one more prospect who won't be on the big club. Like I previously said, it wouldn't be bad if those three were sent packing simply because we still have enough veteran players on this team who can provide leadership and guidance to our youngsters.

There have been times in the past when this team has held back on playing a player simply because of contractual issues. With those three gone, it opens up an entire line for our youngsters. It means that they'll get sufficient ice time, learn the game, yet not get too much ice time as to where it can come back and haunt the team or hurt the kids' confidence

DeleteThisAccount 12-31-2004 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth

Better yet, he does what Brash seems afraid to do nowadays. I got the distinct notion that Brashear didn't really feel like fighting anymore last season. Fedoruk knows that's his purpose. If only Fedoruk could fit in as a decent fourth (or even third) liner, he would be a perfect fit. Unfortunately, at his current level he's nothing better than AHL material. Here's hoping he uses this season with the Phantoms to improve his game.

Rex88 01-01-2005 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Battousai
Better yet, he does what Brash seems afraid to do nowadays. I got the distinct notion that Brashear didn't really feel like fighting anymore last season. Fedoruk knows that's his purpose. If only Fedoruk could fit in as a decent fourth (or even third) liner, he would be a perfect fit. Unfortunately, at his current level he's nothing better than AHL material. Here's hoping he uses this season with the Phantoms to improve his game.

My concern with Feds is his health - how many facial injuries can he endure and still fight at an NHL level? If he went down with an injury and Brash was gone are you gonna pull up Gratton from the Phantoms - not a good option.