HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Minnesota Wild (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Speculation: Ryan Suter (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1208229)

Fel 96 06-14-2012 02:18 PM

Ryan Suter

Ryan Suterís wish list doesnít include Flyers, Eastern Conference: Report

As mentioned earlier.

rynryn 06-14-2012 06:11 PM

so can this be the all-inclusive Parise and Suter thread?
With almost everyone agreeing they'd rather have Suter, and the chances of Suter leaving his current club being greater, and his choices narrower (by his reportedly ruling out Eastern teams) why not more Suter talk?

GopherState 06-14-2012 06:15 PM

Suter is big enough for his own thread that it shouldn't be lost in the Parise hubbub.

Fel 96 06-14-2012 06:16 PM

Good call.

Oh look, I get the OP!

this providence 06-14-2012 06:17 PM

As I understand it based on speculation:
-- Eastern Conference teams are out.
-- Canadian teams are out.

Leaving:
Nashville
Minnesota
Detroit
Chicago
St. Louis
Colorado
San Jose
LA
Dallas
Anaheim
Phoenix

Take it from there, I guess...

Minnesota 06-14-2012 06:18 PM

Suter will sign with us and we'll win the Stanley Cup forever and ever! Yay!

Edit: Realistically, I could see him going to Colorado.

TZM 06-14-2012 06:18 PM

He can't resist now!

Fel 96 06-14-2012 06:19 PM

I'd say the Wings and the Wild should be the front runners on July 1st if he doesn't re-sign with the Preds.

Bookman 06-14-2012 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GopherState (Post 50922831)
Suter is big enough for his own thread that it shouldn't be lost in the Parise hubbub.

Agreed - I for one was surprised how many people in the Trade Forum thread about Suter wanting to go west picked the Wild as a likely destination.

I know we want him, but these are folks who follow other teams. :amazed:

Bookman 06-14-2012 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by this providence (Post 50922931)
As I understand it based on speculation:
-- Eastern Conference teams are out.
-- Canadian teams are out.

Leaving:
Nashville
Minnesota
Detroit
Chicago
St. Louis
Colorado
San Jose
LA
Anaheim
Phoenix

Take it from there, I guess...

According to this report from FBI stats, 2 of those cities are on the "5 most dangerous cities" list: http://realestate.yahoo.com/news/mos...pageNumber%3D1

Great place to raise a family.

Avder 06-14-2012 06:27 PM

So then we have to hope he comes here because Minnesota is a great place to raise a family?

Yeah I guess if that's his priority then we could easily beat out Detroit, especially if he wants his kids involved in youth hockey.

Minnesota 06-14-2012 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bookman (Post 50923137)
According to this report from FBI stats, 2 of those cities are on the "5 most dangerous cities" list: http://realestate.yahoo.com/news/mos...pageNumber%3D1

Lemme guess! Chicago and L.A.?

Edit: Whaaaat? Wow, St. Louis and Detroit.

Fel 96 06-14-2012 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnesota (Post 50923573)

Nope.

Puhis 06-14-2012 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnesota (Post 50923573)

Edit: Whaaaat? Wow, St. Louis and Detroit.

Detroit wasn't really a surprise but St. Louis? The Music City? Wow.

this providence 06-14-2012 06:35 PM

Quoting myself but I'll try to talk it out regarding the teams not named Nashville, I guess...

Quote:

Originally Posted by this providence (Post 50922931)
Leaving:
Nashville
Minnesota
Detroit
Chicago
St. Louis
Colorado
San Jose
Dallas
LA
Anaheim
Phoenix

From that list, I'm going to remove Phoenix and Anaheim off the bat. I think Phoenix has bigger things to worry about and if the Coyotes feasibly wanted Suter, the uncertainty over where he may be with that sort of commitment may scare him away. Anaheim just doesn't seem like a real fit in my eyes and I'm not all that sure Suter would welcome that area of town...

I have LA on a tier of it's own. While I do think Suter may like the idea of joining the reigning champs, he doesn't seem like a guy who would enjoy playing in LA. Not to mention LA's D is pretty sound to begin with. The Kings tend to chase most free agents but also tend to strike out. I wouldn't completely ignore them, but I don't see it as likely.

Moving on down the line, I have Colorado and St. Louis in the same boat. Both would likely be interested in Suter. But both have questions surrounding whether or not they're going to spend this offseason. St. Louis may have a tight budget and Colorado has their own players to worry about and hasn't been near the cap in several years.

Next up I'd have Chicago and San Jose. Both are looking to tweak their rosters some after falling short of expectations this year. The Sharks would have some work to do to fit Suter in but I do think this is the type of area he would enjoy playing in if he wants to play on the West Coast. Chicago could use another defender if they wanted, but I'm not so sure that's the direction they'd go. But given the Hawks are in the mix for a lot of rumors, I wouldn't put this type of move past them. Suter would knock Seabrook back a pairing where he belongs and then things start to shape up a lot better.

I'd place the Wild, Detroit, and Dallas in the favored mix. The Wild and Stars are in similar positions. Both are looking to make a large play. Both have ideal locations. Detroit is looking to replace a legend. Not sure which way it'll go but outside of Nashville, these would be my three teams to watch if he were to play for another team next season.

Minnesota 06-14-2012 06:38 PM

San Jose could be looking to replace Boyle with Suter.

Fel 96 06-14-2012 06:39 PM

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1208147

Thread on Suter from the trade board if you're interested.

rynryn 06-14-2012 06:47 PM

Minny is getting a lot of love as a destination favorite for Suter on the Trade boards...This has almost completely convinced me he won't come here.
From his criteria though we make a lot of sense. Avs do as well. If I had to guess based on nothing other than the speculation flying about I'd say:
1) Nashville
2) Minny
3) Colorado

Someone said something about San Jose but if you've ever been there you know it's as far from being like Wisconsin as anywhere in the Eastern Conference.

I would pay him more than Parise. Into the future a Suter, Brodin, Scandella top three would keep us respectable and alleviate the need to scramble for a trade to "fix" our D the next handful of years...

Billy Mays Here 06-14-2012 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rynryn (Post 50924155)
Minny is getting a lot of love as a destination favorite for Suter on the Trade boards...This has almost completely convinced me he won't come here.
From his criteria though we make a lot of sense. Avs do as well. If I had to guess based on nothing other than the speculation flying about I'd say:
1) Nashville
2) Minny
3) Colorado

Someone said something about San Jose but if you've ever been there you know it's as far from being like Wisconsin as anywhere in the Eastern Conference.

I would pay him more than Parise. Into the future a Suter, Brodin, Scandella top three would keep us respectable and alleviate the need to scramble for a trade to "fix" our D the next handful of years...

I'm the opposite. While I still think Detroit is the frontrunner, I'm starting to think the Wild have a real chance at signing him. There's a lot of great suburbs to raise a family in outside of St. Paul, we will throw a ton of money at him, Minnesota has the best youth hockey programs in the country, he has a lot of family and connections with Minnesota, and of course, our secret weapon, his buddy BNTG. ;)

Minnesota 06-14-2012 06:54 PM

http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/9...ncapture1c.png

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ll...ib3wo1_400.jpg

Fel 96 06-14-2012 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bookman (Post 50923137)

If the family really matters in his decision, he shouldn't sign with the Wings.

Then again, they have a pretty good team...

Minnesota 06-14-2012 07:01 PM

Watch, he'll re-sign with Nashville and sadness will spread across the Western Conference.

Minnesota 06-14-2012 07:04 PM

Another thing to consider - If he signs with Detroit, he'll play more in the Central conference. Being in the Northwest will have him traveling to Canada more than he may like (until realignment, hopefully).

Edit: To counter my own argument, realignment may have Detroit moving to the East, which Suter obviously doesn't want.

rynryn 06-14-2012 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnesota (Post 50924855)
Another thing to consider - If he signs with Detroit, he'll play more in the Central conference. Being in the Northwest will have him traveling to Canada more than he may like (until realignment, hopefully).

Edit: To counter my own argument, realignment may have Detroit moving to the East, which Suter obviously doesn't want.

both good points. But ditto for the Avs as far as moving around a lot. Nashville is still tops on my list. Free agency offers are just bargaining power I guess--it's up to the GM to call his bluff. :naughty:

Avder 06-14-2012 07:28 PM

I hope GMCF is talking to Nashville on the phone a lot lately. Come on, a pick for his rights. Make it happen, Fletch!