HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Anaheim Ducks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   All Purpose Trades/UFA/Roster Discussion Thread (Bobby Ryan is "Available") (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1208295)

snarktacular 06-14-2012 07:52 PM

All Purpose Trades/UFA/Roster Discussion Thread (Bobby Ryan is "Available")

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1165723

Carry on.

snarktacular 06-14-2012 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony O (Post 50926463)
The problem with just acquiring Suter via UFA for a very good amount is that it will cost you more (a lot more) then trading for a player that is more cap/ salary friendly. At least that’s my takeaway from BM’s “Pronger type deal” comment.

Then again you get what you pay for right? So maybe you are right and Samueli’s will be motivated after the Kings Cup run and therefore BM is motivated too. Maybe by some miracle Suter signs in Anaheim and BM turns around and makes a trade for a 2nd line center too. One could dream….

What's this about a Pronger type deal? I wasn't at any of the select-a-seats, but I don't recall anything about that.

And which Pronger deal? Maybe he's talking about selling an upcoming UFA for youth?

Badger Mayhew 06-14-2012 08:02 PM

Leafs fan, coming in peace, noticing that somebody mentioned Connolly as a possible piece to trade for this offseason?

What would you be willing to offer for him? Lowball all you want, Leafs fans aren't too happy with him :laugh:

Selanne138 06-14-2012 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badger Mayhew (Post 50927007)
Leafs fan, coming in peace, noticing that somebody mentioned Connolly as a possible piece to trade for this offseason?

What would you be willing to offer for him? Lowball all you want, Leafs fans aren't too happy with him :laugh:

Would Cogliano and a late pick get it done?

Badger Mayhew 06-14-2012 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Selanne138 (Post 50927093)
Would Cogliano and a late pick get it done?

Absolutely, and it seems like the kind of trade Burke and Murray would make.

Has Cogliano not lived up to expectations so far?

snarktacular 06-14-2012 08:14 PM

Cogliano + mid tier guy (Maroon, Sexton, McMillan). Or Cogliano + 3rd.

Cogliano has pretty much exactly lived up to my expectations. Decent 3rd line wing. Maybe 2nd line complementary defensive type (the kind who could fill the space, but won't contribute too much). Too small and soft for our team.

Selanne138 06-14-2012 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badger Mayhew (Post 50927225)
Absolutely, and it seems like the kind of trade Burke and Murray would make.

Has Cogliano not lived up to expectations so far?

Not at all. He has shown more or less an inability to play center for us, which was a major snag last season as we had him originally slotted in as our third line center.

Definitely seems like the type of trade the two of them would make and although, Connolly isnt the best option for a 2C, he could click with Bobby, and its an expiring contract anyways.

snarktacular 06-14-2012 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Selanne138 (Post 50927491)
Not at all. He has shown more or less an inability to play center for us, which was a major snag last season as we had him originally slotted in as our third line center.

Definitely seems like the type of trade the two of them would make and although, Connolly isnt the best option for a 2C, he could click with Bobby, and its an expiring contract anyways.

Besides expiring, the other good thing about Connolly is that he's only paid 4 next year, even though the cap hit is 4.75. He'd essentially be another Blake/Hagman.

ShadowDuck 06-14-2012 08:25 PM

What is this madness? I'd take Cogliano's hardworking motor for 82 games than the more offensive talented Connolly for 40 games. The guy is fragile and softer than Cogliano.

I would consider a straight up swap, mainly because it would help us out positionally, but I wouldn't add anymore pieces.

Gliff 06-14-2012 09:01 PM

Only way I would take Connoly for Cogs is if Sexton is going back with Cogs.

Even then I wouldnt want to. Cogs works hard and is good ok the PK. Connoly isnt as offensive as he used to be and too injury prone.

Emerald Duck 06-14-2012 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snarktacular (Post 50926713)
What's this about a Pronger type deal? I wasn't at any of the select-a-seats, but I don't recall anything about that.

And which Pronger deal? Maybe he's talking about selling an upcoming UFA for youth?

Murray was referring to the trade that brought Pronger to the Ducks. He was commenting about building up an organization's depth through draft picks and free agency, and then when you think you're one player away, roll the dice and go for it.

Murray alluded to the Mike Richards trade as one of these type of trades where the organization had stockpiled young talent (albeit due to poor seasons and high draft picks) and were able to put together the assets to acquire a Richards-type player.

Duck Off 06-14-2012 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gliff (Post 50929057)
Only way I would take Connoly for Cogs is if Sexton is going back with Cogs.

Even then I wouldnt want to. Cogs works hard and is good ok the PK. Connoly isnt as offensive as he used to be and too injury prone.

Came to say the exact same thing. I don't like the idea personally. I personally would rather have:

Getz
Koivu
Bonino
Gaustad

Over

Getz
Koivu
Connoly
Bonino

If we made that deal, sexton has to go the other way, and that's not really an asset going the other way. That's us ridding one of the stupid 1 way contracts Murray handed out. I'd rather hold onto cogs personally. But I'd be content with the move if sexton was kicked out.

Tony O 06-15-2012 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowDuck (Post 50927771)
What is this madness? I'd take Cogliano's hardworking motor for 82 games than the more offensive talented Connolly for 40 games. The guy is fragile and softer than Cogliano.

I would consider a straight up swap, mainly because it would help us out positionally, but I wouldn't add anymore pieces.

This.

duxfan8 06-15-2012 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony O (Post 50934585)
This.

Yeah, everyone is softer than Cogs though. He has played in like 300+ straight games. Connolly would be interesting, but he hasn't had a full season in how many years?

Seanconn* 06-15-2012 02:36 AM

Connolly would be one of the best third line centres we could get... While healthy. If we're planning on making the playoffs, and he's healthy, I'd trade Cogliano for Cogs in a second.

That being said... If Schultz ends up signing with the leafs... I don't expect the Ducks and Leafs to be making Any trades for a very long while... Unless Burke is willing to give us an overpayment in future trades, to make up for our loss of a top prospect.

Elvs 06-15-2012 03:53 AM

Connolly is injury prone, but not THAT injury prone. Last three seasons, played 73+68+70 games, a lot better than the previous three seasons where he only played 2+48+48. He's seven years younger than Koivu, and much more likely to put up 50+ points (or on that pace barring injuries). He's a guy the Ducks could get without giving up the 6th overall pick, and a player that (as mentioned before) could click with Ryan and Palmieri/Selanne.

Three scoring lines:

Smith-Pelly - Getzlaf - Perry
Ryan - Connolly - Palmieri
UFA - Koivu - Selanne
Beleskey - Bonino - UFA

Two scoring lines + shutdown line:

Palmieri - Getzlaf - Perry
Ryan - Connolly - Selanne
UFA - Koivu - Smith-Pelly
Beleskey - Bonino - UFA

If that UFA is a player with size and grit, the Ducks would have four out of the six top wingers with size+grit. By signing another imposing UFA for the 4th line, both Blake and Hagman will have been replaced by bigger bodies, and I think that's really the only plan in terms of getting bigger.

Exit Dose 06-15-2012 06:51 AM

Connolly?

Spicy Porkins 06-15-2012 09:13 AM

I think Connolly could work very well as a 2C in a vacuum. But with him on our roster in that spot, any possible combination of 2nd line players is inevitably marshmallow soft. Our bottom 6 would have to be completely overhauled to compensate.

snarktacular 06-15-2012 09:37 AM

I don't think Connolly is that bad of an option.

He kills penalties. He blocks shots. He's a center, although he doesn't win faceoffs. So in that sense he can replace Cogliano in the special teams role.

Now last year was obviously a bad year. And the year before wasn't great either. So maybe he's trending down. But he's generally been about 0.75 PPG player. That makes him an above average 2nd line player when he's in the lineup.

Yes he's injury prone. But in one sense that's not too terrible. We have Koivu as a backup. It also gives opportunity for Holland and Bonino to possibly stretch their wings and show what they can do in limited opportunities, rather than throwing them in and say "sink or swim." And despite the injuries, he still gets about mid 40 something points per season. Which is a slightly-below-average 2nd line center performance.

His contract is 1-year, so it's basically a stop-gap until Holland or Bonino are ready. The cap hit is high, but the salary of 4 million is not too bad for a 2nd liner. The 1-year contract leaves money open for when we really need it, next offseason.

He might come pretty cheap in terms of trade assets, and actually seems like a more realistic option than a lot of suggestions (sign OJ, the best and only FA. Trade for young guys who probably aren't going to be given up on yet)

Softness is a major problem, I will admit. It certainly doesn't make the team tougher to play against.

Basically I see a guy who is not a plus player, but could be about neutral at a 2nd line role. As opposed to Cogliano who's about neutral at a 3rd line role. There's also a chance of him outperforming his past two disappointing seasons if he gets back to form. I would have better confidence that he could score than Koivu.

Unagi 06-15-2012 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowDuck (Post 50927771)

I'd have to agree. Cogs at least battles hard 82 games, Conolly is injured all the time and isn't impressive when he is playing. You get more for your buck from Cogs.

If there was a trade, I would even say no to a striaght up swap. Toronto would have to add a pick. They would not do than and we keep Cogs. Fine by me.

PS: Adding Maroon...c'mon? Not that the guy is a stud, but he could very well turn out to be a reliable 4th liner.

snarktacular 06-15-2012 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by My Cat (Post 50940599)
I think Connolly could work very well as a 2C in a vacuum. But with him on our roster in that spot, any possible combination of 2nd line players is inevitably marshmallow soft. Our bottom 6 would have to be completely overhauled to compensate.

That is true. But it's kind of like that anyways.

And TBH, I'm not expecting any real improvement there anyways. Maybe Murray will prove me wrong, but I'm not particularly impressed with his past execution of stated plans.

Spicy Porkins 06-15-2012 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snarktacular (Post 50941729)
That is true. But it's kind of like that anyways.

And TBH, I'm not expecting any real improvement there anyways. Maybe Murray will prove me wrong, but I'm not particularly impressed with his past execution of stated plans.

I like Connolly as the 2C better than Koivu, because while Koivu's not soft, he's not an effective physical presence anyway. But adding Connolly makes Murray's success in overhauling the bottom 6 mandatory IMO, and that exacerbates the problem.

Is Colin Wilson gritty at all? I never watch the Preds.

Seanconn* 06-15-2012 01:11 PM

Connolly would be perfect, really. Despite health issues... We'd have three scoring lines. Keep the Finns together... Give Bobby Ryan a legit centerman to play with. Maroon on the fourth line... We just need to sign a winger to play with Saku and Teemu.

Cogliano+Schultz for Connolly + ?

Exit Dose 06-15-2012 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChairmanCat (Post 50949349)
Connolly would be perfect, really. Despite health issues... We'd have three scoring lines. Keep the Finns together... Give Bobby Ryan a legit centerman to play with. Maroon on the fourth line... We just need to sign a winger to play with Saku and Teemu.

Cogliano+Schultz for Connolly + ?

He needs to prove that he's ready before he's placed there, and unless he makes some serious progress with his skating he won't be.

puckyeah 06-15-2012 05:10 PM

Cogs is speedy, durable and plays really hard.....you have to be careful just getting rid of players like this....'just because'.