HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Winnipeg Jets (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Glass half-empty, according to Gary Lawless. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1208525)

DespoticNewt 06-15-2012 05:37 AM

Glass half-empty, according to Gary Lawless.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opi...159161805.html

King Woodballs 06-15-2012 07:18 AM

I would give him 1mil max over 2 or 3 years

nothing more.

if he wants more... peace out

Guerzy 06-15-2012 07:50 AM

So two days ago when Slater re-signed Glass said the deal was 80-85% done, now his agent says the following,

Quote:

Agent Ross Gurney told the Free Press Wednesday negotiations with the Jets had just begun.

"We've had preliminary discussions only," Gurney said via email. "We're a long prairie mile apart."

I wouldn't want to go over 1 million. He is a dime a dozen player, they're everywhere.

I'd just as much rather Jordin Tootoo.

BomberJets 06-15-2012 07:52 AM

For sure a million but not much more. He's great at his role but if he wants the big bucks he needs to put the puck behind the keeper.

BomberJets 06-15-2012 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guerzy (Post 50938923)
So two days ago when Slater re-signed Glass said the deal was 80-85% done, now his agent says the following,

I wouldn't want to go over 1 million. He is a dime a dozen player, they're everywhere.

Tootoo would be a beaut...

bigplay41 06-15-2012 08:09 AM

Cya Glass! Don't let the door hit you on the way out

Huffer 06-15-2012 08:31 AM

It pains me to write this, but this might be the 1st Lawless article that I read that I agree with, and doesn't make me want to poke out my own eyeballs.

Guerzy 06-15-2012 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huffer (Post 50939603)
It pains me to write this, but this might be the 1st Lawless article that I read that I agree with, and doesn't make me want to poke out my own eyeballs.

Agree. When I read the title I actually thought it was going to be an article from Lawless explaining how the Jets future and/or heading into the offseason is " glass half-empty". I was fully prepared for an article full of negativity and criticism on whatever he could possibly find fault with as we head into the active (or not) part of the offseason.

TCsmyth 06-15-2012 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetNation (Post 50939223)
Cya Glass! Don't let the door hit you on the way out

I am kinda in agreement with this. Tanner and his agent have to realize what he is in the NHL, unfortunately the stars are gonna get really big dough, and the Glass guys of the world are gonna get a lot less...albeit big dough in my world!

Guerzy 06-15-2012 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCsmyth (Post 50940185)
I am kinda in agreement with this. Tanner and his agent have to realize what he is in the NHL, unfortunately the stars are gonna get really big dough, and the Glass guys of the world are gonna get a lot less...albeit big dough in my world!

Also, he should know that there is a guy within the organization right now who is (likely) ready for a 4th line role, Spencer Machacek.

Glass is easily replaceable, in my opinion. Whether it be Machacek, Tootoo or another UFA... dime a dozen in this league. They grow on trees.

My max offer would be a 3 year deal, 3.3 million (1, 1.1 and 1.2). But again, I would rather not go over 1 million for Tanner Glass.

GermanJetsFan 06-15-2012 09:28 AM

Glass wants 1 milion+??

Hi Spencer =)

Holden Caulfield 06-15-2012 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guerzy (Post 50940323)
Also, he should know that there is a guy within the organization right now who is (likely) ready for a 4th line role, Spencer Machacek.

Glass is easily replaceable, in my opinion. Whether it be Machacek, Tootoo or another UFA... dime a dozen in this league. They grow on trees.

My max offer would be a 3 year deal, 3.3 million (1, 1.1 and 1.2). But again, I would rather not go over 1 million for Tanner Glass.

Agreed, but I don't like being tied to guys like Glass for 3 years though, that is my problem with a deal like that. Same reason I am not a fan of Thorburn's contract.

Glass works his ass off, but he is a still a 12th/13th forward, IMO. He does his best to block shots and finish his checks, but often struggles to get the puck out, make a breakout pass or takeaway the defenseman as a passing option. He adds basically zero offense, struggles with puck on the rush, does not have the speed to carry the puck through the neutral zone. There are plenty of players who can do the job he does cheaper and we don't have commit ourselves to a long deal with a guy who wouldn't crack a good roster.

WJG 06-15-2012 09:44 AM

I like Glass, but there's nothing he does that Cormier or Machacek can't.

sipowicz 06-15-2012 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WJG (Post 50941517)
I like Glass, but there's nothing he does that Cormier or Machacek can't.

Don't sell Machacek short he may actually put the puck in the net something Glass doesn't do very well. Not a fan of Glass.

Gump Hasek 06-15-2012 10:02 AM

Glass is by all accounts both a good teammate and a good member of the community. If he doesn't sign with the Jets he'll find employment elsewhere. To suggest "don't let the door hit you on the way out" or to refer to him as a "dime a dozen" type is a bit unfair. He isn't a dime a dozen player, he is an NHL player and very few of those jobs are available. Every single one of you would kill to trade places with him.

I'm pretty much ambivalent as to whether or not he stays; regardless, he accorded himself very well in Winnipeg during his time as a Jet and had nothing but positive things to say about the city and the organization during his time here.

Guerzy 06-15-2012 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gump Hasek (Post 50942123)
Glass is by all accounts both a good teammate and a good member of the community. If he doesn't sign with the Jets he'll find employment elsewhere. To suggest "don't let the door hit you on the way out" or to refer to him as a "dime a dozen" type is a bit unfair. He isn't a dime a dozen player, he is an NHL player and very few of those jobs are available. Every single one of you would kill to trade places with him.

I'm pretty much ambivalent as to whether or not he stays; regardless, he accorded himself very well in Winnipeg during his time as a Jet and had nothing but positive things to say about the city and the organization during his time here.

Don't take what I am saying too far out of context. My intent is that Tanner Glass is a dime a dozen player IN the NHL IN the role he plays. They're everywhere. They grow on trees.

In my opinion, and I am NOT trying to discredit Tanner Glass, but I think I could name an abundance of comparable players to Tanner Glass that are UFA in 2 weeks, not to mention the abundance playing in the league right now. Again, no disrespect intended, but 4th line players, crashers and bangers, your lunch pail and hard hat guys... are the absolute easiest piece of the puzzle to acquire and have, in my opinion.

Edit; I do not intend to undervalue the sort of player Glass is and the role he plays, perhaps it's the most difficult both physically and emotionally that there is in this great game. But I still believe these type of players are easy to find and acquire.

Gump Hasek 06-15-2012 10:16 AM

I'm not taking anything out of context; I agree he is replaceable.

Was actually just providing some additional context to a thread about a guy that has been nothing but supportive to both Winnipeg and to the Jets organization during his time here.

Guerzy 06-15-2012 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gump Hasek (Post 50942581)
I'm not taking anything out of context; I agree he is replaceable.

Was actually just providing some additional context to a thread about a guy that has been nothing but supportive to both Winnipeg and to the Jets organization during his time here.

Which is great, by all means.

This is where I find it comforting to see Chevy and the org. not be loyal to a fault. We could easily give Glass a Slater type contract and be done with it, but that doesn't appear to be the case. This actually provides me some comfort in my hunch of our org. being too loyal to players who are rather replaceable or who we may be better off without (not saying we're better off without Glass).

roccerfeller 06-15-2012 10:21 AM

from the article

Quote:

The GM recently told me: "We're not about leverage. We're about negotiating from a position of what's fair."

Word up Chevy.

I think he's a terrific GM, has some more learning to do, but for a young GM, TNSE certainly made a good choice.

Guerzy 06-15-2012 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roccerfeller (Post 50942755)
from the article

Word up Chevy.

I think he's a terrific GM, has some more learning to do, but for a young GM, TNSE certainly made a good choice.

This actually may be mashing a bit with what Glass just said the other day in terms of using becoming a UFA to his advantage as a tool in negotiations, which by all means is acceptable, but as Chevy says, it's not just about leverage, it's about what is fair, and I have no doubt Chevy is being fair in terms of market value for a player such as Tanner Glass and the role he occupies.

There is market value, then there is salary inflation market value driven up due by UFA rights. Generally paying the inflated price due to UFA rights makes you regret it, especially on guys who play 4th line roles, there is no need to overpay for that role. Slater could have easily gotten 2 million on the open market, in my opinion, maybe even 2.2-2.5 if a team wanted him as their third line center, but he didn't go that route. Not every player will do that, and I respect that and see why, but I am very happy with what Slater did.

DespoticNewt 06-15-2012 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guerzy (Post 50942783)
This actually may be mashing a bit with what Glass just said the other day in terms of using becoming a UFA to his advantage as a tool in negotiations, which by all means is acceptable, but as Chevy says, it's not just about leverage, it's about what is fair, and I have no doubt Chevy is being fair in terms of market value for a player such as Tanner Glass and the role he occupies.

There is market value, then there is salary inflation market value driven up due by UFA rights. Generally paying the inflated price due to UFA rights makes you regret it, especially on guys who play 4th line roles, there is no need to overpay for that role. Slater could have easily gotten 2 million on the open market, in my opinion, maybe even 2.2-2.5 if a team wanted him as their third line center, but he didn't go that route. Not every player will do that, and I respect that and see why, but I am very happy with what Slater did.

Yes. I was beginning to think that franchise players and loyalty came second to how much they can make in another market. Slater's been with the Thrasherjet organisation since being drafted.

vBurmi 06-15-2012 10:47 AM

I really like Glass but I have to agree with everyone else here. The Jets can't afford to pay someone who's limited to 4th line duties much over $1M/yr. $1.2M/yr over 3 years would probably be the biggest contract I'd be alright with for Glass. The unfortunate reality of the role of a checker is that there's always a million players like that looking for work in the NHL.

BigTuna49 06-15-2012 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield (Post 50941209)
Agreed, but I don't like being tied to guys like Glass for 3 years though, that is my problem with a deal like that. Same reason I am not a fan of Thorburn's contract.

Glass works his ass off, but he is a still a 12th/13th forward, IMO. He does his best to block shots and finish his checks, but often struggles to get the puck out, make a breakout pass or takeaway the defenseman as a passing option. He adds basically zero offense, struggles with puck on the rush, does not have the speed to carry the puck through the neutral zone. There are plenty of players who can do the job he does cheaper and we don't have commit ourselves to a long deal with a guy who wouldn't crack a good roster.

His biggest weakness last season. Nail on the head with that one. We probably can find someone much cheaper that feels the same role. I wouldn't want to pay Glass anymore then Thorburn makes.

Lux Aurumque* 06-15-2012 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guerzy (Post 50938923)

This a hundred times.

We need a player with Tootoo's grit, and this season has proven that he can produce well for a fourth liner. A line of Thorburn-Slater-Tootoo would be dynamite, and would intimidate other teams without question.

I can also see Tootoo wanting to play in Winnipeg. He was born in Churchill, and his family lives in Rankin Inlet. It's extremely expensive to fly south from Rankin. Winnipeg (along with Edmonton) is, by far, the cheapest city to fly to from there. Tootoo is the kind of guy who loves the cold weather, and who would fit in perfectly here.

As I said months ago, I really, really want Tootoo on this team.

Guerzy 06-15-2012 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canadian North (Post 50947289)
This a hundred times.

We need a player with Tootoo's grit, and this season has proven that he can produce well for a fourth liner. A line of Thorburn-Slater-Tootoo would be dynamite, and would intimidate other teams without question.

I can also see Tootoo wanting to play in Winnipeg. He was born in Churchill, and his family lives in Rankin Inlet. It's extremely expensive to fly south from Rankin. Winnipeg (along with Edmonton) is, by far, the cheapest city to fly to from there. Tootoo is the kind of guy who loves the cold weather, and who would fit in perfectly here.

As I said months ago, I really, really want Tootoo on this team.

I can echo this, not only do I want Tootoo here, I would love Tootoo here.