HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Minnesota Wild (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   What if.... Parise, Lats and healthy Bouchard. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1208585)

Rabiddog 06-15-2012 09:27 AM

What if.... Parise, Lats and healthy Bouchard.

What would are top 3 lines look like if we sign Parise, Lats and everyone healthy.
Koivu
Heatley
Granlund
Seto
Cullen
Parise
Lats
Butch
Clutterbuck
Brods.
With everyone healthy one of these guys would have to play on the 4th line.

Granlund- Koivu- Heatley
Parise- Cullen- Butch
Lats- Brods.- Clutterbuck/Seto

Puhis 06-15-2012 09:39 AM

It would be Clutterbuck in that case, then. He is a great 3rd liner but in the future Minnesota Wild, he is going to be a 4th liner simply because we are not going to run two "checking lines" after these kids develop.

Oh, and Granlund. Not Grandlund.

rafterman 06-15-2012 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puhis (Post 50941345)
It would be Clutterbuck in that case, then. He is a great 3rd liner but in the future Minnesota Wild, he is going to be a 4th liner simply because we are not going to run two "checking lines" after these kids develop.

Oh, and Granlund. Not Grandlund.

Yep.

Clutterbuck - Powe - xxxxxx

Puhis 06-15-2012 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rafterman (Post 50942537)
Yep.

I'd try either Larsson or Bulmer there. Probably Bulmer, though.

Can you imagine that line? :naughty:

ThatGuy22 06-15-2012 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puhis (Post 50942781)

I wouldn't. While either would probably do fine in that role as is, I would put any of our rookies that doesn't make top two lines out of camp in the AHL, where they can play top 6 minutes, and play large PP and PK roles and continue to develop with good ice time. A rookie fourth liner is going to get crap ice time in the NHL.

Jarick 06-15-2012 10:35 AM

I would put Larsson in a 3rd line role as he'll likely be a two-way guy anyway. He'll still get 15+ minutes TOI.

Puhis 06-15-2012 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThatGuy22 (Post 50942919)
I wouldn't. While either would probably do fine in that role as is, I would put any of our rookies that doesn't make top two lines out of camp in the AHL, where they can play top 6 minutes, and play large PP and PK roles and continue to develop with good ice time. A rookie fourth liner is going to get crap ice time in the NHL.

Not necessarily. I think our 4th line is going to see solid ice-time versus other teams 2nd lines and on PK as well. Plus I think Larsson/Zucker would look good in our 4th line along with physical forwards like Powe and Clutterbuck. Why? Gives them space, that's why. I could honestly see us rolling a checking line like that, or at least Yeo giving it a shot. I could also see us switching the forward every 5-10 games or so. Play the rookies mainly in AHL but see every month or so who does best and give him an NHL roster spot in 3rd/4th line, then send him back to AHL and give the next rookie a shot. That way we can keep healthy competition going between the kids and giving them big minutes in AHL during the season but also giving a taste of the NHL competition.

Rabiddog 06-15-2012 10:46 AM

If we sign Suter.
Suter- Gilbert
Scandella- Spurgeon
Stoner- Prosser
Falk
Brodin in AHL first call-up, but only to play top 4 minutes

Puhis 06-15-2012 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schaffran (Post 50943575)
If we sign Suter.
Suter- Gilbert
Scandella- Spurgeon
Stoner- Prosser
Falk
Brodin in AHL first call-up, but only to play top 4 minutes

It's not bad, but I'd rather see:

Suter - Gilbert
Scandella - Brodin
Stoner - Spurgeon
Falk

Kampfer and Prosser first call-ups.

ThatGuy22 06-15-2012 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puhis (Post 50943681)
It's not bad, but I'd rather see:

Suter - Gilbert
Scandella - Brodin
Stoner - Spurgeon
Falk

Kampfer and Prosser first call-ups.

Prosser has a one way contract, Brodin doesn't. Prosser will atleast start in the NHL and Brodin in the AHL. If Brodin dominates and forces a call up, the Wild will than have to decide who is worth risking on waivers to send him to the AHL(as Scandella is the only other player besides Brodin that won't require waivers to get to the AHL).

bozak911 06-15-2012 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThatGuy22 (Post 50943997)
Prosser has a one way contract, Brodin doesn't. Prosser will atleast start in the NHL and Brodin in the AHL. If Brodin dominates and forces a call up, the Wild will than have to decide who is worth risking on waivers to send him to the AHL(as Scandella is the only other player besides Brodin that won't require waivers to get to the AHL).

Prosser has a *cheap* 1-way contract. He can still be re-assigned to Houston (waived, re-assigned, recalled if necessary). All it means is that he'd be paid his 900k while in Houston...

squidz* 06-15-2012 11:03 AM

Furthermore, Prosser has a "cheap" contract with a second year on it. While he is subject to waivers (on account of 3 years of pro experience) it's unlikely a team would pick up a player they can't just cut ties with after the season if it doesn't work out.

ThatGuy22 06-15-2012 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bozak911 (Post 50944055)
Prosser has a *cheap* 1-way contract. He can still be re-assigned to Houston (waived, re-assigned, recalled if necessary). All it means is that he'd be paid his 900k while in Houston...

Obviously he can be waived, but in doing that you risk losing him for nothing. Makes much more sense to start the guy that can go back and fourth with ease in the AHL. Especially when Brodin has little experience with N/A hockey and ice dimensions. Let Brodin get his feet wet in the AHL, and make the decision when its forced upon you. The best player doesn't always play, contracts play a role in any roster decision. The Wild can't afford to lose assets for nothing if they don't need to.

squidz* 06-15-2012 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThatGuy22 (Post 50944293)
Obviously he can be waived, but in doing that you risk losing him for nothing. Makes much more sense to start the guy that can go back and fourth with ease in the AHL. Especially when Brodin has little experience with N/A hockey and ice dimensions. Let Brodin get his feet wet in the AHL, and make the decision when its forced upon you. The best player doesn't always play, contracts play a role in any roster decision. The Wild can't afford to lose assets for nothing if they don't need to.

If Prosser isn't sent to Houston, he still can be kept with the team. It's not uncommon for a team to carry 8 defensemen during a season. I would be surprised if Brodin spent any time in Houston excepting for a possible playoff run at the end of the season.

nickschultzfan 06-15-2012 11:10 AM

I would go all in.

Parise-Koivu-Heatley
Bouchard-Granlund-Setoguchi
Lats-Brodziak-Larsson
Powe-Cullen-Clutterbuck

Suter-Gilbert
Scandella-Spurgeon
Stoner/Falk-Prosser/Kampfer

Cullen and Clutterbuck get 1st PK minutes so they both play around 15 minutes a night.

Yeah, some people don't like the idea of pushing Cullen and Clutterbuck down to the 4th line. Whatever. That line-up would provide put the other team back on their heels the most.

ThatGuy22 06-15-2012 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickschultzfan (Post 50944459)
I would go all in.

Parise-Koivu-Heatley
Bouchard-Granlund-Setoguchi
Lats-Brodziak-Larsson
Powe-Cullen-Clutterbuck

Suter-Gilbert
Scandella-Spurgeon
Stoner/Falk-Prosser/Kampfer

Cullen and Clutterbuck get 1st PK minutes so they both play around 15 minutes a night.

Yeah, some people don't like the idea of pushing Cullen and Clutterbuck down to the 4th line. Whatever. That line-up would provide put the other team back on their heels the most.

I don't mind pushing Cullen and Clutterbuck to the fourth line, but I don't think Granlund and PMB can be on the same line. They are to similar in being small pass first type of guys. If it were me, try get Granlund with Heatley. Heatley seemed to struggle with creating his own shot last year(but still has a great one) and Granlund is a magician at getting people the puck in the right places. The first line would be one of the toughest lines to play against in the league as Parise and Koivu are forechecking machines, they can work the corners and Lats can get to the front of the net.

Parise-Koivu-Lats
Heatley-Granlund-Setoguchi
PMB-Brodziak-Clutterbuck
Powe-Cullen-Random filler

Generic User 06-15-2012 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rafterman (Post 50942537)
Yep.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puhis (Post 50942781)

The puck possession on that line would be horrid. Sure, they'd be throwing hits everywhere- but it'd always be in their own zone.

bozak911 06-15-2012 11:59 AM

It would be a nice problem to have... :)

Parise - Koivu - Bouchard
Latendresse - Brodziak - Heatley
Granlund - Cullen - Setoguchi
Clutterbuck - Powe - Kassian/Johnson

Gilbert - Suter
Scandella - Brodin
Stoner - Spurgeon
Prosser

TZM 06-15-2012 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThatGuy22 (Post 50944883)

Parise-Koivu-Lats
PMB-Brodziak-Clutterbuck

A big reality check for Cullen but I kinda like this.

llamapalooza 06-15-2012 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bozak911 (Post 50946527)
It would be a nice problem to have... :)

Parise - Koivu - Bouchard
Latendresse - Brodziak - Heatley
Granlund - Cullen - Setoguchi

Clutterbuck - Powe - Kassian/Johnson

Gilbert - Suter
Scandella - Brodin
Stoner - Spurgeon
Prosser

I like this a lot. Sort of a 1/2A/2B thing instead of the usual "one two-way line, one scoring line, and then a bunch of scrubs" structure the Wild seem to be so fond of.

TaLoN 06-15-2012 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThatGuy22 (Post 50944293)

Sorry, I can't agree with that statement. It's the same excuse DR always used to carry a player he shouldn't have. (Foy!)
Not saying Brodin won't start in the AHL, just that Prosser's waiver eligibility won't be the reason why.

Sportsfan1 06-15-2012 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThatGuy22 (Post 50944883)
I don't mind pushing Cullen and Clutterbuck to the fourth line, but I don't think Granlund and PMB can be on the same line. They are to similar in being small pass first type of guys. If it were me, try get Granlund with Heatley. Heatley seemed to struggle with creating his own shot last year(but still has a great one) and Granlund is a magician at getting people the puck in the right places. The first line would be one of the toughest lines to play against in the league as Parise and Koivu are forechecking machines, they can work the corners and Lats can get to the front of the net.

Parise-Koivu-Lats
PMB-Brodziak-Clutterbuck

Which is why i keep scratching my head, because Granlund is likely in my opinion to start with Koivu and Cullen would look GREAT on this team in a 3rd line role but not as a #2 centerman. Plus you can't put Butch and Granlund together because that line would be too similar and i understand that.

Granted Bouchard won't last long, but while he's here got to find a spot for him, what about this as one idea:
Bouchard-Koivu-Parise
Latendresse-Granlund-Heatley
Cullen-Larsson-Setoguchi
Powe-Brodziak-Clutterbuck/Kassian/Johnson/Palmeiri

And everyone just slides up one when Bouchard and/or Lats goes down.

nickschultzfan 06-15-2012 03:15 PM

I really think the best course of action is the get Granlund thinking about playing center this entire off-season. Have him work on faceoffs and watch some videos. Neither are work-out intensive.

Through camp, pre-season, and the first 10 games, the guy will have almost 2.5 months of practice at play center in the NHL level. If he's really struggling, then fine, move him to wing.

nickschultzfan 06-15-2012 03:17 PM

Why play Granlund at center?

1. I think that's where he's going to be the most successful and productive on an individual level.

2. That's the greatest need for the Wild at this point in time.

3. Cullen plays better offense at the wing. Yeah, he's a good faceoff guy and decent defensive skills, so you'll lose that, but I think Cullen's greatest offensive threat is his speed, which will maximize on the wing.

grN1g 06-15-2012 03:26 PM

Heatley - Koivu - Granlund (no more heatley faceoffs!)
Parise - Larsson - Setoguchi (you can swap lars with parise for fo's)
Latendresse - Brodziak - Bouchard (lats-brodz-havy line?)
Powe - Cullen - Clutterbuck
Kassian

Suter - Gilbert
FA - Brodin (i would like to see more of a vet presence with a fa signing)
Scandella - Spurgeron

Stoner
Prosser
Falk

Backstom
Harding