HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Florida Panthers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Line Combos: Who do you play with Huberdeau? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1208861)

luby3131 06-15-2012 06:16 PM

Who do you play with Huberdeau?

I'm wondering who you would put on a line with Huberdeau this year. Do you start him at center or on the wing?

SoupyFIN 06-15-2012 06:25 PM

Wing with Upshall and the mystery 2nd line center.

angry_treefrog 06-15-2012 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoupyFIN (Post 50960061)
Wing with Upshall and the mystery 2nd line center.

http://yle.fi/urheilu/tapahtumat/jaa...5274-kuva1.jpg

This guy?

Catsfan7 06-15-2012 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angry_treefrog (Post 50961249)

http://www.russianhockeyfans.com/pho...cs-2010-90.jpg
And this guy on the right?

MillarWithASave 06-15-2012 09:10 PM

Quote:

Help... he's staring into my soul. :laugh:

OT: If I could I would play him with Parise. lol

FrolikFan67 06-16-2012 12:47 AM

i'd love to get a #1 center so weiss can center him on the 2nd line, huberdeau on lw and upshall on rw. but as of right now itd have to be goc or a new center with upshall on the rw and huberdeau on the lw. santos said he can play all 3 forward positions, so even though i'd prefer him at lw, we know we "could" play him at center, tho i'd prefer not to play him there, i'd rather just keep him at wing, either lw or rw. but he'll be on the 2nd line regardless most likely

StrangeVision 06-16-2012 01:07 AM

Quote:

I am more in favor of this idea with each passing day.

Tuco 06-16-2012 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StrangeVision (Post 50970965)
I am more in favor of this idea with each passing day.

:help: Me too :shakehead

ShootIt 06-16-2012 08:36 AM

I think Upshall is just about a lock to be opposite of Huberdeau due to his gritty play and willing to drop gloves if they make runs at our star prospect.
At center, it will be either Stoll or Jokinen.
If Stoll's agent doesn't ask for the moon I think we'll sign him to a 2-3 year deal around 3.25-3.5 million a year.
He can replace Garrison's powerful cannon on the pp. can win face offs and seems like a player Tallon would like to acquire for our younger guys

angry_treefrog 06-16-2012 10:32 AM

Ignoring personality issues, I think Jokinen centering Upshall & Huberdeau seems a good mix of skills. You'll need to put the kid with some veterans who can shield him.

Jokinen can handle the defensive responsibilities of the center position and benefit from Huberdeau's playmaking skills by putting his (hopefully still) world class shot to use.

Upshall brings the sandpaper, but can score and benefit from #11 skills as well. He can provide some physical protection - not a big guy but not afraid to get in someone's face if someone decides to take liberties.

Fleischmann-Weiss-Versteeg
Huberdeau-Jokinen-Upshall
Bergenheim-Goc-Samuelsson

I think that's a very respectable top 9. Dineen could roll those three line's pretty evenly through a game.

Tuco 06-16-2012 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angry_treefrog (Post 50976639)
Ignoring personality issues, I think Jokinen centering Upshall & Huberdeau seems a good mix of skills. You'll need to put the kid with some veterans who can shield him.

Jokinen can handle the defensive responsibilities of the center position and benefit from Huberdeau's playmaking skills by putting his (hopefully still) world class shot to use.

Upshall brings the sandpaper, but can score and benefit from #11 skills as well. He can provide some physical protection - not a big guy but not afraid to get in someone's face if someone decides to take liberties.

I think that's a very respectable top 9. Dineen could roll those three line's pretty evenly through a game.

Yeah, sounds good, except when did Olli become defensively sound?

Clint 06-16-2012 12:17 PM

Quote:

Not a bad write-up, but I'd still like to see Upshall unloaded. He's our highest paid forward but has never scored more than 32 points. If we can shed that contract we can get a sandpaper two-way forward much cheaper to play opposite Huberdeau.

Interestingly enough, I'm most excited about that third line. I think they can all put up 40 points each if they play a whole season together and stay healthy, each bringing their own strengths in all three zones.

angry_treefrog 06-16-2012 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clint (Post 50979277)
Not a bad write-up, but I'd still like to see Upshall unloaded. He's our highest paid forward but has never scored more than 32 points. If we can shed that contract we can get a sandpaper two-way forward much cheaper to play opposite Huberdeau.

Interestingly enough, I'm most excited about that third line. I think they can all put up 40 points each if they play a whole season together and stay healthy, each bringing their own strengths in all three zones.

I'm nitpicking, but...

1. Fleisch is highest paid at 4.5 - Upshall is 2nd at 3.5 - will be 3rd after Versteeg signing

2. His highest is 34 points twice... not that it affects your argument at all

I wouldn't be upset if Tallon moves him, but I think he's a guy who will earn that coin this coming season. Guys like him prove their worth with things that are off the scoresheet.

RainingRats 06-16-2012 12:51 PM

I'd put Jokinen as the center and Samuelson on his wing. Upshall is not a top 6 player. The puck possession that Hubs and Sammy could maintain would free up big shots from the point and Jokinen to capitalize on slick passes from either wing.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Versteeg moved "down" to play with Hubs as he's one of the better finishers on the team.

Egblad 06-16-2012 01:00 PM

What's nice about this is that Huberdeau is such an offensive catalyst on his own that it opens up so many potential options for our team, which is huge in its own right. I am loving a lot of these potential lines.

SoupyFIN 06-16-2012 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShootIt (Post 50974993)
I think Upshall is just about a lock to be opposite of Huberdeau due to his gritty play and willing to drop gloves if they make runs at our star prospect.
At center, it will be either Stoll or Jokinen.
If Stoll's agent doesn't ask for the moon I think we'll sign him to a 2-3 year deal around 3.25-3.5 million a year.

Agreed, but I don't think DT goes after Stoll. He's just off a SC win, and looking for that big payday. He'll get IMO at least 4 million, and I don't think DT is ready to overpay again this summer. The players that he's going to acquire are those who want to be here and show that by taking what Tallon is ready to offer.

Quote:

Agreed, but IMO Sammy won't be back. It's Kopecky or Skille on his spot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuco (Post 50979243)
Yeah, sounds good, except when did Olli become defensively sound?

During the last two years in Calgary, he's sacrificed a lot of his offense for a better two-way play. His point production is still there, but with more of a defensive responsible game.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clint (Post 50979277)

Upshall is pretty much below league average in salary when it comes down to those kind of players, when you look at the money thrown around the league these days.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainingRats (Post 50980261)
Upshall is not a top 6 player.

I disagree. While he's not your prototypical high scorer or playmaker, he brings a lot to the table with his hustle. Basically the same kind of a player as Bergy, with less succees last year.

Dread Clawz 06-16-2012 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainingRats (Post 50980261)
I'd put Jokinen as the center and Samuelson on his wing. Upshall is not a top 6 player. The puck possession that Hubs and Sammy could maintain would free up big shots from the point and Jokinen to capitalize on slick passes from either wing.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Versteeg moved "down" to play with Hubs as he's one of the better finishers on the team.

Agreed. To add to that, Jokinen needs playmaking to set him up. He's not a great playmaker so he needs to be the finisher on his line. Huby is nice, but it would be even better if he had Sammy setting him up as well. Upshall has never been nor will he ever be confused with a playmaker. Having Upshall and Jokinen on the same line puts tremendous pressure on Huby to pass all the time. Having Sammy on RW frees up everybody a lot more.

MillarWithASave 06-16-2012 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoupyFIN (Post 50981733)
Agreed, but IMO Sammy won't be back. It's Kopecky or Skille on his spot.

Or Wellwood. :)

Beezer 06-16-2012 02:47 PM

With Parise. :sarcasm:

RainingRats 06-16-2012 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoupyFIN (Post 50981733)

I disagree. While he's not your prototypical high scorer or playmaker, he brings a lot to the table with his hustle. Basically the same kind of a player as Bergy, with less succees last year.

Upshall has no track record of being a top 6 player. He's a good third line guy who can play a physical game and chip in some goals. He'd be playing out of position on the second line.

RainingRats 06-16-2012 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules (Post 50981795)
Agreed. To add to that, Jokinen needs playmaking to set him up. He's not a great playmaker so he needs to be the finisher on his line. Huby is nice, but it would be even better if he had Sammy setting him up as well. Upshall has never been nor will he ever be confused with a playmaker. Having Upshall and Jokinen on the same line puts tremendous pressure on Huby to pass all the time. Having Sammy on RW frees up everybody a lot more.

Exactly. Hubs could learn a lot from Sammy with regards to patience with the puck at the NHL level. That could be a really solid line. I'd expect Jokinen to put up at least 25 goals.

p9ers 06-16-2012 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainingRats (Post 50988373)
Exactly. Hubs could learn a lot from Sammy with regards to patience with the puck at the NHL level. That could be a really solid line. I'd expect Jokinen to put up at least 25 goals.

Plus Sammy could help on the powerplay if G52 is not back.

King Panther 06-16-2012 11:25 PM

My little experience watching Hubs leads me to believe that his best attributes are his vision and deft passing. So I would want him on a line with someone who can find an open piece of ice and put in a lot of one timers. The only person on our team that fits that description imo is Versteeg. Id probably add Goc or Matthias to center them to add some size to the line, probably Goc. I dont think hes an ideal center for them, but were kinda short in that department right now.

CanadianPantherFan 06-17-2012 01:21 AM

I'm totally in the camp for Sammy coming back if Olli is signed here to be on the 2nd line...move Upshall out in a Luongo deal possibly. Sammy impressed me so much with his puck patience. We have not had a skilled forward with his offensive qualities in years. I'm pretty certain Sammy would buy back into this team if Tallon told him his linemates would be Olli and Huberdeau next season.

IceManCat 06-20-2012 06:53 PM

Fleishman- Weiss- Versteeg

Kopecky- Huberdeau- Sammy

Bergenheim- Goc- Upshall

Skille - Smithson- Mathias