HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Rumor (CHI) Hjalmarsson for Smith (OTT) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1209209)

benjiv1 06-16-2012 09:56 AM

(CHI) Hjalmarsson for Smith (OTT)

Source:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/John-...Time/128/44979

I'm an Ottawa fan, so I have no idea if this guy is legit, but what does Ottawa have to add?

Ott:
Hjalmarsson
48th Overall Pick (2012)

Chi:
Smith
Puempel
82nd Overall Pick (2012)

Too much? Too Little?

dorffxmosh 06-16-2012 10:02 AM

I don't think Chicago would do this, I don't know if Drew Olson is ready to jump into the Chicago lineup.

mkearney913 06-16-2012 10:27 AM

Sens are giving up a little too much for Hjalmarsson IMO.

In principle, I really like the trade. Zibanejad's coming in, and Ottawa has too many centres. O'Brien has proven his worth in the 4th-line PK role, making Smith's job expendable. Ottawa needs a stable, defensive presence on the blueline and Hjalmarsson fills that role.

I don't like Hjalmarsson's salary ($3.5-million seems a little steep for the minutes he plays) and Puempel going the other way is far too hefty a price tag for this guy. I question why Chicago even needs Puempel: they have so many good scoring wingers in the pipelines already.

Switch up the prospect that's going Chicago's way and it's a done deal in my mind.

Analyzer 06-16-2012 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkearney913 (Post 50976541)

In principle, I really like the trade. Zibanejad's coming in, and Ottawa has too many centres. O'Brien has proven his worth in the 4th-line PK role, making Smith's job expendable. Ottawa needs a stable, defensive presence on the blueline and Hjalmarsson fills that role.

I don't like Hjalmarsson's salary ($3.5-million seems a little steep for the minutes he plays) and Puempel going the other way is far too hefty a price tag for this guy. I question why Chicago even needs Puempel: they have so many good scoring wingers in the pipelines already.

Switch up the prospect that's going Chicago's way and it's a done deal in my mind.

From the games I've watched, Smith is far superior to O'Brien and that doesn't make Smith expendable.

Smith and a pick for Hjalmarsson would be fair imo.

Confound 06-16-2012 10:33 AM

Don't see Chi doing this.

But I can see Hammer being traded, just not for this package.

joe89 06-16-2012 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkearney913 (Post 50976541)

IF Ottawa wanted him, I doubt they'd worry much about the cap hit. It's only two years and Ottawa's in cap heaven. A similar player in free agency would cost them the same probably, aswell.

benjiv1 06-16-2012 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Analyzer (Post 50976595)
From the games I've watched, Smith is far superior to O'Brien and that doesn't make Smith expendable.

While Smith>JOB, O'Brien can quite easily fill in for Smith. If Regin is healthy this year, it would likely push Smith down to the fourth line (which is fine for O'Brien).

DisgruntledHawkFan 06-16-2012 10:45 AM

We are in dire need of a quality bottom six center. Those usually don't cost a decent #4 defenseman. I'd want a quality asset coming back with Smith if that was the case.

benjiv1 06-16-2012 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan (Post 50976923)
We are in dire need of a quality bottom six center. Those usually don't cost a decent #4 defenseman. I'd want a quality asset coming back with Smith if that was the case.

I included Puempel (24th overall last year), he is a bit of a project, but was the CHL rookie of the year, and is a natural goal scorer.

mkearney913 06-16-2012 10:51 AM

Quote:

I'm not denying Smith's skill, he is a more complete package than O'Brien right now, I'm just saying he's in a log-jam at centre in Ottawa. Smith has been relegated to the fourth line, and O'Brien's doing everything Ottawa envisioned Smith doing anyway.

That log-jam is what's making him expendable, particularly with Regin back in the fold and Zibanejad coming in in the next few years.

IdealisticSniper 06-16-2012 10:53 AM

Quote:

Adam Hall + 2nd round pick for Hammer?

trentmccleary 06-16-2012 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benjiv1 (Post 50976745)
While Smith>JOB, O'Brien can quite easily fill in for Smith. If Regin is healthy this year, it would likely push Smith down to the fourth line (which is fine for O'Brien).

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkearney913 (Post 50977071)
I'm not denying Smith's skill, he is a more complete package than O'Brien right now, I'm just saying he's in a log-jam at centre in Ottawa. Smith has been relegated to the fourth line, and O'Brien's doing everything Ottawa envisioned Smith doing anyway.

That log-jam is what's making him expendable, particularly with Regin back in the fold and Zibanejad coming in in the next few years.

Smith plays C/LW
That means he's competing with: Spezza, Turris, Foligno, Greening, Regin for those 6 spots in the top-9... with Spezza being just about the only established player in that group guaranteed to play more than Smith.

I like our prospects, they're great. But the only thing they earn is a chance to play on the team, not to have a top end role handed to them as we cast other players aside to 'make room for them'. You clear 4th liners out like Winnie and Konopka and then let everybody else fight over the higher end roles.

Also, as much as I like Regin... maybe we should wait to see him string a healthy a couple of months in row together first.

I would do some form of this deal though because we desperately need a long term answer in our top-4... and soon.

benjiv1 06-16-2012 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trentmccleary (Post 50977529)
Smith plays C/LW
That means he's competing with: Spezza, Turris, Foligno, Greening, Regin for those 6 spots in the top-9... with Spezza being just about the only established player in that group guaranteed to play more than Smith.

I like our prospects, they're great. But the only thing they earn is a chance to play on the team, not to have a top end role handed to them as we cast other players aside to 'make room for them'. You clear 4th liners out like Winnie and Konopka and then let everybody else fight over the higher end roles.

Also, as much as I like Regin... maybe we should wait to see him string a healthy a couple of months in row together first.

I would do some form of this deal though because we desperately need a long term answer in our top-4... and soon.

I think one could argue that Smith will not play more than Turris. With that being the case, I don't recall Smith ever playing on the top 2 lines (perhaps a game with Spezza and Condra? For some reason that sticks in my brain), which would automatically put him on the 4rd or 4th line.

Sevanston 06-16-2012 11:32 AM

Quote:

This.

Ottawa would need to add something for this to work out.

trentmccleary 06-16-2012 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benjiv1 (Post 50977731)
I think one could argue that Smith will not play more than Turris. With that being the case, I don't recall Smith ever playing on the top 2 lines (perhaps a game with Spezza and Condra? For some reason that sticks in my brain), which would automatically put him on the 4rd or 4th line.

I think Smith will become a fixture on the 3rd line and PK. Which could easily have him playing more per game than many of those other guys if they struggle in the slightest... and it's not like many are established.

internetdotcom 06-16-2012 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benjiv1 (Post 50975895)
Source:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/John-...Time/128/44979

I'm an Ottawa fan, so I have no idea if this guy is legit, but what does Ottawa have to add?

Ott:
Hjalmarsson
48th Overall Pick (2012)

Chi:
Smith
Puempel
82nd Overall Pick (2012)

Too much? Too Little?

I like Hjammer, but I think Smith is underrated for what he brings. Even if Hjammer > Smith (and he probably is, though he is overpaid), I dont like giving up Puempel. I think he'll end up a 20+ goal guy, maybe more. And Sens fans are way, way too quick to put him in proposals. It hasnt even been a year since we drafted him. Give him some time to develop.

Paladin2799 06-16-2012 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sevanston (Post 50977995)
This.

Ottawa would need to add something for this to work out.

I know toronto was EXTREMELY high on puempel at the draft.

Why dont we throw bozak into the trade somewhere for puempel?

benjiv1 06-16-2012 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by internetdotcom (Post 50978027)
I like Hjammer, but I think Smith is underrated for what he brings. Even if Hjammer > Smith (and he probably is, though he is overpaid), I dont like giving up Puempel. I think he'll end up a 20+ goal guy, maybe more. And Sens fans are way, way too quick to put him in proposals. It hasnt even been a year since we drafted him. Give him some time to develop.

I think the reason he's included so frequently is because he has value (vs someone like Butler), but as a fanbase we haven't grown attached to him at all.

Zibanejad showed flashes of brilliance in pre-season and scored the WJC gold medal goal.

Noesen looked like a massive reach at the time, but 1 year later, he looks to be developing into a Dustin Brown type player while lighting up the OHL playoffs.

benjiv1 06-16-2012 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paladin2799 (Post 50978121)

Puempel + for Schenn :D

wubwubwubwub 06-16-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paladin2799 (Post 50978121)

What is this...?

Snowhawk 06-16-2012 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The OttoMan (Post 50978263)
What is this...?

A joke.

Has to be, Bozak is a good top line centre for an AHL team.

Wingsfan2965* 06-16-2012 11:55 AM

Puempel alone for Hjalmarsson is bad.

SpezDispenser 06-16-2012 11:57 AM

Quote:

This. Smith is valuable, gritty 3rd line C who hits and has some offense. Actually not sure I would want to do him + a pick as a Sens fan.

Analyzer 06-16-2012 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkearney913 (Post 50977071)

That's my bad. I misunderstood it as O'Brien would seamlessly replace Smith.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpezDispenser (Post 50978757)
This. Smith is valuable, gritty 3rd line C who hits and has some offense. Actually not sure I would want to do him + a pick as a Sens fan.

Agreed. As a habs fan Smith is very useful. PKer, pretty much a guaranteed goal against the habs. He can hit, fight, score and did alright on the draw. Took the 2nd most of all Sens centres and finished with 49 percent (rounder up)

Smith should be good for 10 goals a season (if healthy), but can get more than that. Will defend teammates. Averaged 2 hits a game this past season. What more could you want from him, except for maybe getting over 50 on the faceoffs. Though, winger wins count, too.

MAK19 06-16-2012 12:17 PM

Smith has 20 goal and 40 point potential. He was 0.5 ppg in the first half of the season then went ice cold in the 2nd half. Most Bingo boys did too, they had a really long season in 2010-11.

Complete player and everything you want in a hockey player. Rugged, big, physical, fighter, good skater, good puck handler, good shot, good defensively, good/will be be good on faceoffs. He's limited to 40 points on offense probably.