HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   San Jose Sharks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Jumbo linemates? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1209569)

dwood16 06-16-2012 09:57 PM

Jumbo linemates?

We've experimented with the bottom six, upgraded the defence, changed goalies, changed coaches, etc. and not much is different with this team. I think the top six forwards are what makes or breaks this team. We've been bounced out of the playoffs while some "star" players were clearly gliding out there. We've seen some good chemistry with certain lines and some awful chemistry as well. I don't think we've seen both of the top 2 lines ever have good chemistry. It's usually one while the other suffers.

I think we need to try to get some players who can max out that top line with Jumbo Joe. Heatley was a nice try but wasn't ideal. Let's try again! Cheechoo, Ekman and Michalek all worked nicely and so did Couture for his limited time in his rookie season. Clowe has surprisingly looked good when paired with Joe as well.

Thornton is way too good of a player to not have the ideal guys on his line. Patty isn't cutting it and Pavs should be centering a different line imo (the 2nd). Maybe this is another product of coaching. perhaps we have the right guys here but the wrong coach. what do you think?

Considering our current assets and cap situation, what players do you think would fit best on Thornton's line? and how can we get those players? How can we get the most from our captain?

WestCoast 06-16-2012 10:02 PM

People won't like it, but Nash would look pretty awesome playing with Joe for a few years.

Mafoofoo 06-16-2012 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WestCoast (Post 50996171)
People won't like it, but Nash would look pretty awesome playing with Joe for a few years.

"You guys you guys. Heatley and Thornton are gonna light it up like nobody's business!"

I'm gonna stick with the idea of putting two guys like Galiardi with Jumbo.

ThorNton Apologist 06-17-2012 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WestCoast (Post 50996171)

This would actually be very awesome. My ideal top line would be
Galiardi-Thornton-Nash
With Pavs centering the 3rd line and having 3 scoring lines again:naughty:

Hatrick Marleau 06-17-2012 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwood16 (Post 50996039)
We've experimented with the bottom six, upgraded the defence, changed goalies, changed coaches, etc. and not much is different with this team. I think the top six forwards are what makes or breaks this team. We've been bounced out of the playoffs while some "star" players were clearly gliding out there. We've seen some good chemistry with certain lines and some awful chemistry as well. I don't think we've seen both of the top 2 lines ever have good chemistry. It's usually one while the other suffers.

I think we need to try to get some players who can max out that top line with Jumbo Joe. Heatley was a nice try but wasn't ideal. Let's try again! Cheechoo, Ekman and Michalek all worked nicely and so did Couture for his limited time in his rookie season. Clowe has surprisingly looked good when paired with Joe as well.

Thornton is way too good of a player to not have the ideal guys on his line. Patty isn't cutting it and Pavs should be centering a different line imo (the 2nd). Maybe this is another product of coaching. perhaps we have the right guys here but the wrong coach. what do you think?

Considering our current assets and cap situation, what players do you think would fit best on Thornton's line? and how can we get those players? How can we get the most from our captain?

Ovechkin
Vanek
Stafford
Versteeg
Ryan
Perry
Kessel
Stamkos

All of those players are right handed and would be great with Jumbo. Only two are realistic. I really think Drew Stafford would be great with him.

SJeasy 06-17-2012 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwood16 (Post 50996039)

Jumbo dies on the vine without speed for zone entry. Even when Patty isn't scoring, he does provide entries. One player on JT's line has to have speed and the Sharks certainly lacked in the top 6 in that department. Not arguing for Patty with JT, just don't stick JT with two slowsters (eg Pavs & Couture). JT has done well with both Michalek and Ekman in the speed role.

WTFetus 06-17-2012 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJeasy (Post 51002385)
Not arguing for Patty with JT, just don't stick JT with two slowsters (eg Pavs & Couture). JT has done well with both Michalek and Ekman in the speed role.

I'm fine with Marleau with Thornton still, but Thornton did do well when he was with Couture and Pavelski this season, and Couture and Heatley the seasons before.

Hatrick Marleau 06-17-2012 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJeasy (Post 51002385)
Jumbo dies on the vine without speed for zone entry. Even when Patty isn't scoring, he does provide entries. One player on JT's line has to have speed and the Sharks certainly lacked in the top 6 in that department. Not arguing for Patty with JT, just don't stick JT with two slowsters (eg Pavs & Couture). JT has done well with both Michalek and Ekman in the speed role.

I agree with the post that suggested putting Galiardi on the top line. He is a fast and good forechecker, which is what Jumbo needs. It would also help build Galiardi's confidence. He needs speed and a finisher, preferably a righty, on his line.

Galiardi-Thornton-Stafford
Couture-Marleau-Havlat
Winnik-Pavelski-Wingels

That would be a good top 9.

oyster 06-17-2012 04:11 AM

Why do some people keep suggesting putting Galiardi on a line with Thornton? I don't understand it.

Korolyuk15 06-17-2012 04:16 AM

This discussion starts and ends with Alexander Semin....he is a right handed sniper with speed who loves to rip shots from the right circle

no one else available even comes close...sadly not sure he would want to come to SJ...

sjshark91 06-17-2012 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oyster (Post 51002757)
Why do some people keep suggesting putting Galiardi on a line with Thornton? I don't understand it.

they want the no.1 pick apparently.

WTFetus 06-17-2012 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oyster (Post 51002757)

Thornton has shown that his line could produce with 1 3rd/4th liner on his line (Vesce, Ferriero, Desjardins), as long as that scrub isn't completely incompetent (Mitchell). Galiardi is better than all 4 of those players. He's quick, a good forechecker, and physical.

FeedingFrenzy 06-17-2012 10:40 AM

I will say this again. Stick both Wingels and TJ on a line with JT.. And dont screw with it after 5 games. What exactly do we have to lose with this experiment?? Nothing!

Both these kids have the tools to play with JT. Give them 20 games.

tj-jt-wingels
patty-juicy-marty
winnik-pavs-clowe(trade clowe)stepniak

Gene Parmesan 06-17-2012 11:14 AM

Glen Murray and Mike Knuble.....do it

Sharksfan83 06-17-2012 11:35 AM

The Winnik - Pavelski - Marleau line was so solid defensively. I think this line would be so good to match against the top lines game in game out.

That leaves Clowe - Couture - Havlat
Then JT with whoever. One decent forward signing, then add in TJ or Wingels, and JT makes the line.

Southlake 06-17-2012 12:16 PM

I think one of Jumbo's real talents, and one that really sets him apart, is his ability to really make superstars out of average ish players. We always get so excited to see him paired with an amazing player, but those players end up producing at the same level as they did before. Right now, I think we're trying so hard to pair Jumbo with the best possible players that we're clogging up the top line, and not getting the results we want.

I'd rather see Pavs centering a line somewhere, switch the three scoring lines, and put two guys with Thornton who haven't reached their full potential yet. From our current lineup, I'd like to see Galiardi up there because he's fast, physical, and has great positioning. Then I'd like to see us find him a right handed RW and really let them develop some chemistry.

JayP812 06-17-2012 01:45 PM

I can't see Galiardi on the top line working out. Yes, he's fast, but Thornton needs someone on both wings who can convert his passes, Gali doesn't have a very good shot in my opinion. I think Couture is the best LW. He's fast enough, and his shooting accuracy is very good (best on the team in the regular season). I believe Logan played with the Joes near the end of the regular season, and it worked out pretty good.

SJeasy 06-17-2012 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WTFetus (Post 51002417)
I'm fine with Marleau with Thornton still, but Thornton did do well when he was with Couture and Pavelski this season, and Couture and Heatley the seasons before.

It had quick spurts but feel quickly. There was also the issue of goal diff, not raw goals scored.

WantonAbandon 06-17-2012 02:42 PM

It would be nice to have Marleau back at center with Havlat and Couture, but unless a forward is picked up and Clowe is traded there is no way the top line will be messed with.

TJ with Thornton seem ridiculous to me. The guy skates with his head down. I wouldn't want to break up Desi and Wingles at this point. They are the closest thing the Sharks currently have under contract next season resembling scoring depth. Pavelski is not scoring depth!!!!!

dwood16 06-17-2012 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatrick Marleau (Post 51002357)
Ovechkin
Vanek
Stafford
Versteeg
Ryan
Perry
Kessel
Stamkos

All of those players are right handed and would be great with Jumbo. Only two are realistic. I really think Drew Stafford would be great with him.

Good list.

Omg.. thinking about Stamkos with Thornton.

Hold the Pickles 06-17-2012 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mafoofoo (Post 50997927)
"You guys you guys. Heatley and Thornton are gonna light it up like nobody's business!"

I'm gonna stick with the idea of putting two guys like Galiardi with Jumbo.

I agree. If you can put the right mid tier players with jumbo, he'll be able to magnify their potential and get quality results out of them. You can then split your stars up and have 3 legit scoring lines to spread out and increase the scoring.

magic school bus 06-17-2012 09:31 PM

I'm still waiting for Heatley to score 60 goals on Thornton's wing.

WantonAbandon 06-17-2012 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwood16 (Post 51018905)
Good list.

Omg.. thinking about Stamkos with Thornton.

At best he would replicate what he is doing now. Boyle and Burns would probably have more of an effect on Stamkos then Thornton. He would help spread out the opposing D more.

Tampa doesn't really have a big threat on the point

WantonAbandon 06-17-2012 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magic school bus (Post 51024409)
I'm still waiting for Heatley to score 60 goals on Thornton's wing.

Marleau and Heatley combined for over 80 during the first year he was here. I was quite satisfied with that. Don't know about you. No way in hell TJ would even sniff 30 on JTs wing

TheJuxtaposer 06-17-2012 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WantonAbandon (Post 51025481)
Marleau and Heatley combined for over 80 during the first year he was here. I was quite satisfied with that. Don't know about you. No way in hell TJ would even sniff 30 on JTs wing

But if he hit 20, I'd say experiment success.