HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Could The Blue Jackets Be a Dark Horse? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=121048)

Bruins4Ever 12-29-2004 09:59 PM

Could The Blue Jackets Be a Dark Horse?

The team seems to be set up perfectly for success in a few years. Nash, Zherdev, Klesla, Denis, Fritsche, Vyborny, Spacek, Svitov, Leclaire. They could be a darkhorse contender in a few years. Not to mention they have the coolest alternate jersey in the league :D , but I think they are being overlooked as a contender in a few years. What do you all think about these guys?

Joe T Choker 12-29-2004 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruins4Ever
The team seems to be set up perfectly for success in a few years. Nash, Zherdev, Klesla, Denis, Fritsche, Vyborny, Spacek, Svitov, Leclaire. They could be a darkhorse contender in a few years. Not to mention they have the coolest alternate jersey in the league :D , but I think they are being overlooked as a contender in a few years. What do you all think about these guys?

got grit? ... all skill and no grit doesn't win you close games

naihlflames 12-29-2004 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seven_Nation_Army
got grit? ... all skill and no grit doesn't win you close games

Alexander Picard.

littleHossa 12-29-2004 10:36 PM

They should of just drafted "Alexandre Picard, from the QMJHL" and claimed the rights of all 40 of them. The Jackets could be going somewhere, Doug McLean is a smart GM and they have the offense shaping up, goaltenders who won't let them down, they just need much tougher defensemen, like Atlanta. They need a few beefy blueliners to bring some grit to their lineup and no one will complain about their forwards.

The Kingslayer 12-29-2004 11:17 PM

the only problem with the jackets that I see is the blueline. Klesla hasn't lived up to the hype, yet and there grit is questionable. Mark my word they will be a powerhouse in 5 years if they start playing by then.

Bruins4Ever 12-30-2004 01:21 PM

Klesla is a great defenseman, IMO. He just needs a better partner beside him. But they can surprise some teams. They need a guy like Murray, Palffy, Kovalev, etc. to give the young guys a great veteran to play with.

wilka91* 12-30-2004 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruins4Ever
Not to mention they have the coolest alternate jersey in the league :D

That's more important than the players :lol:

Bruins4Ever 12-30-2004 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilka91

By far. :D

hossy316 12-30-2004 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by littleHossa
They should of just drafted "Alexandre Picard, from the QMJHL" and claimed the rights of all 40 of them. The Jackets could be going somewhere, Doug McLean is a smart GM and they have the offense shaping up, goaltenders who won't let them down, they just need much tougher defensemen, like Atlanta. They need a few beefy blueliners to bring some grit to their lineup and no one will complain about their forwards.

You can get cheap grit from the free agent market or through trades without losing anything other then a draft pick or 3rd or 4th liner. Yes, in a few years, Columbus will be a playoff team destined to do some damage.

DontCallPlayersStuds 12-30-2004 01:55 PM

I think Columbus and Atlanta have the same problem, really.

Lots of flash, no blueline, stud goaltender.

Atlanta drafted Valabik, whom I see as someone that's going to be a monumental bust, and Coburn as being not the answer to their problems at all. HOWEVER...at least they're making the effort, rather than drafting a scorer in the first round year after year. Smid or Mezaros would have been a better pick for them this year, and in the sake of being a good rival, I hope to goodness they can land Jack Johnson in the next draft, because they desperately need him. Until then, the BJs and the Thrashers are going to lose high scoring games.

X0ssbar 12-30-2004 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilka91

He's right though :) I wish they would make their 3rds their primary jerseys.

Anyhow, as far as the CBJ being a sleeper there are still some big holes to fill in their lineup, especially defense. Boy would Jack Johnson look good in a CBJ sweater but I digress... I think we are still one or two years away from being considered a serious contender but I do think we could ride our goaltending and young guns and sneak into the playoffs next year.

DontCallPlayersStuds 12-30-2004 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hossy316
You can get cheap grit from the free agent market or through trades without losing anything other then a draft pick or 3rd or 4th liner. Yes, in a few years, Columbus will be a playoff team destined to do some damage.

and we've seen how well their free agent signings have gone for them :banghead:

se7en* 12-30-2004 01:56 PM

I don't see why not. I had Columbus pegged to make the playoffs last season.

Bruins4Ever 12-30-2004 03:30 PM

I thought they'd make it last year too. As soon as Nash broke out, I thought they were going to beat out the Preds, but it never worked out. But what they need is a good 1st line centre. Imagine Nash and Zherdev on a first line with a true number 1 centre, and you have one of the best lines in the league. But defense is where they really lack. If they could sign some guys like Zhitnik or Markhov they could go into the playoffs and possibly deep into them.