HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Buffalo Sabres (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   WGR What Pegula said about Regier and Ruff makes me nervous (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1211019)

SabresAreScaryGood 06-19-2012 09:52 AM

What Pegula said about Regier and Ruff makes me nervous

He said the #1 reason he kept them is because he enjoys working with them.

Is that a good reason to keep a gm/coach? I guess so if your an owner that wants to be involved in everything, but IMO not if your trying to win a cup. I think the owner should just care about results.

Kind of reminds me of Ralph Wilson, who only hired people he could work with and would involve him.

WhoIsJimBob 06-19-2012 09:58 AM

In my experience, a good, healthy working relationship should be #2 on a list of reasons to keep someone around.

#1 is whether they produce results.

vcv 06-19-2012 10:00 AM

It's certainly not the only reason nor the only important reason.

If you want Regier and/or Ruff gone, nothing Terry says will change your mind, nor should this make anyone suddenly want them gone.

SackTastic 06-19-2012 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood (Post 51079199)
He said the #1 reason he kept them is because he enjoys working with them.

Is that a good reason to keep a gm/coach? I guess so if your an owner that wants to be involved in everything, but IMO not if your trying to win a cup. I think the owner should just care about results.

Kind of reminds me of Ralph Wilson, who only hired people he could work with and would involve him.

He also said that the franchise's reason for existence was to win a Stanley Cup. So, you should ask yourself which one you think is more important to Pegula.

- Winning a Cup
- Working with Lindy and Darcy

I think you probably know the answer.

SabresAreScaryGood 06-19-2012 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beechsack (Post 51079469)
He also said that the franchise's reason for existence was to win a Stanley Cup. So, you should ask yourself which one you think is more important to Pegula.

- Winning a Cup

I think you probably know the answer.

I dont question that Pegula will do everything in terms of adding players to win a cup, but I think decision makers matter a lot in winning a cup. He did say they were very knowledgeable also, but IMO results prove how knowledgeable.

I just dont think some of the bigger moves Darcy has made so far under Pegula, Brad Boyes and Leino, over $10 million wasted in cap space were smart moves. I think these 2 moves cost us. I dont trust Regier to spend it wisely. Even the Stafford long-term deal, he is too inconsistent. I think Darcy proved he is in over his head already.

AlexanderMogilny89 06-19-2012 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vcv (Post 51079437)
It's certainly not the only reason nor the only important reason.

If you want Regier and/or Ruff gone, nothing Terry says will change your mind, nor should this make anyone suddenly want them gone.

How many more years until he realizes he needs change behind the bench? Last year was yr #1 of the 3 yrs it would take he predicted to win the 1st cup of multiple cups I believe. So if Ruff don't get to the finals in the next 2 yrs. I think he is gone. What i guess i'm saying is that Ruff will be here for 2 more yrs. minimum. I hope he can get it done. If not it is time to move on.

SabresAreScaryGood 06-19-2012 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexanderMogilny89 (Post 51079767)
How many more years until he realizes he needs change behind the bench? Last year was yr #1 of the 3 yrs it would take he predicted to win the 1st cup of multiple cups I believe. So if Ruff don't get to the finals in the next 2 yrs. I think he is gone. What i guess i'm saying is that Ruff will be here for 2 more yrs. minimum. I hope he can get it done.

I dont, he referenced Joe Paterno, who took like 20 years to win a Championship. Pegula is going to stick with these guys for a long time. He sees a nice working environment, everyone gets a long, he even said there no egos.

Obviously there are no egos, no one has won anything to have an ego Terry!

SackTastic 06-19-2012 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood (Post 51079579)
I dont question that Pegula will do everything in terms of adding players to win a cup, but I think decision makers matter a lot in winning a cup. He did say they were very knowledgeable also, but IMO results prove how knowledgeable.

I just dont think some of the bigger moves Darcy has made so far under Pegula, Brad Boyes and Leino, over $10 million wasted in cap space were smart moves. I think these 2 moves cost us.

Hindsight glasses FTW!!

Yep, Boyes turned out to be a bust. At the time, Regier was lauded for picking up the best player in a weak trade market. Can't have it both ways.

Leino has had one (bad) season in the books, and people are already labeling his entire contract a 'failure'. It's only $4.5M, and a deal that cap floor teams would love on the back end should he continue to suck.

People need to chill out.

AlexanderMogilny89 06-19-2012 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood (Post 51079803)
I dont, he referenced Joe Paterno, who took like 20 years to win a Championship. Pegula is going to stick with these guys for a long time. He sees a nice working environment, everyone gets a long, he even said there no egos.

So Ruff has been here for how long? Or does this mean Ruff will be here for another 19 yrs?

SabresAreScaryGood 06-19-2012 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beechsack (Post 51079873)
Hindsight glasses FTW!!

Yep, Boyes turned out to be a bust. At the time, Regier was lauded for picking up the best player in a weak trade market. Can't have it both ways.

Leino has had one (bad) season in the books, and people are already labeling his entire contract a 'failure'. It's only $4.5M, and a deal that cap floor teams would love on the back end should he continue to suck.

People need to chill out.

Leino is a nobody and they gave him 6 years. Not only that, they gave him 6 years to change positions. So you take a nobody, give him 6 years, and plan on changing his position? Come on.

The Regehr trade and Ehrhoff trade/sign were awesome. Thats where is should have stopped. Dont give long term deals to inconsistent hockey players or nobodies like Leino.

SackTastic 06-19-2012 10:18 AM

Quote:

Again, I ask the question which is more important to Pegula.

- Winning a Cup

If Pegula thinks winning a Cup is the goal, and R&R aren't producing, then he'll make moves. If he'd rather have tea time and book clubs with R&R, then he won't.

I'm pretty sure that we know what Pegula wants for this team, and it's not painting toenails in the offices. If you think that he's rather keep R&R over a championship, then you are simply deluded and not paying attention to the words coming out of the man's mouth.

SackTastic 06-19-2012 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood (Post 51079989)
Leino is a nobody and they gave him 6 years. Not only that, they gave him 6 years to change positions. So you take a nobody, give him 6 years, and plan on changing his position? Come on.

The Regher trade and Ehrhoff trade/sign were awesome. Thats where is should have stopped.

And if he doesn't work out after , say 3, you look to trade him to a team that needs a cap hit to hit the floor. Since his cash payout is less than his cap hit at the back half of the deal, there are about 6 teams that would love to take that contract.

Use your brain. If he plays like he did this past season for a couple more, he won't be here for the entire term.

sba 06-19-2012 10:22 AM

Quote:

I dont, he referenced Joe Paterno,

hahahahahaha we are so ****ed

AlexanderMogilny89 06-19-2012 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beechsack (Post 51080033)

- Winning a Cup

If Pegula thinks winning a Cup is the goal, and R&R aren't producing, then he'll make moves. If he'd rather have tea time and book clubs with R&R, then he won't.

I'm pretty sure that we know what Pegula wants for this team, and it's not painting toenails in the offices. If you think that he's rather keep R&R over a championship, then you are simply deluded and not paying attention to the words coming out of the man's mouth.

Tea time. Painting toe nails. :cry:

SabresAreScaryGood 06-19-2012 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beechsack (Post 51080033)

- Winning a Cup

Again, in terms of player movement, Pegula will do what he can every year. I dont see him making a move where we need the biggest change, our decision makers.

If they miss the playoffs again they may trade Ryan Miller or Vanek or someone else, I dont see Pegula changing the GM which would then lead to a coaching change. Regier is never going to fire Ruff..

SackTastic 06-19-2012 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood (Post 51080197)
Again, in terms of player movement, Pegula will do what he can every year. I dont see him making a move where we need the biggest change, our decision makers.

If they miss the playoffs again they may trade Ryan Miller or Vanek or someone else, I dont see Pegula changing the GM which would then lead to a coaching change. Regier is never going to fire Ruff..

So your position then is Pegula doesn't care about a Cup, only about happy fun time with his friends?

drinking bleach irl 06-19-2012 10:24 AM

JoePa got results even without National Championships. If the Sabres were in the Conference Finals every year I'd say Ruff was accomplishing enough to stay.

SabresAreScaryGood 06-19-2012 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fatal System Ehrhoff (Post 51080255)
JoePa got results even without National Championships. If the Sabres were in the Conference Finals every year I'd say Ruff was accomplishing enough to stay.

I would even take playoffs every year. I mean they missed the playoffs!! We all know this but how does Pegula say all this positive stuff about Ruff and Regier when they missed the playoffs? Thats what gets me so nervous.

Injuries matter, but almost everyone on the team had a down year statistically. It wasnt just injuries. Injuries should not have had this team as the 2nd or 3rd worst team in the NHL half way through the year.

SabresAreScaryGood 06-19-2012 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beechsack (Post 51080239)
So your position then is Pegula doesn't care about a Cup, only about happy fun time with his friends?

Can I think both? That he cares about the cup and happy time?

SackTastic 06-19-2012 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood (Post 51080563)
Can I think both? That he cares about the cup and happy time?

I would say no.

If Pegula is more concerned about a Cup, then R&R have to produce, or will be replaced.

If Pegula is more concerned about Happy Fun Front Office Time, they he won't fire them, and that means a Cup is a secondary concern.

SabresAreScaryGood 06-19-2012 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beechsack (Post 51080627)
I would say no.

If Pegula is more concerned about a Cup, then R&R have to produce, or will be replaced.

If Pegula is more concerned about Happy Fun Front Office Time, they he won't fire them, and that means a Cup is a secondary concern.

But cant Pegula make other changes besides R&R? Like trading players? Heck, I even heard Pegula say the media makes players play bad. Maybe he would buy all Buffalo media outlets and force them to talk nice about the players?

If I were to guess, R&R get 3 free years to build the roster, then after that they get 3 more years to win with that roster. I have yet to hear Pegula's opinion on successful coaching firings, like in LA or St Louis, it would be interesting to hear what he says. Sylvester had a golden chance when Pegula said LA won because they were healthy.

AlexanderMogilny89 06-19-2012 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood (Post 51080489)
I would even take playoffs every year. I mean they missed the playoffs!! We all know this but how does Pegula say all this positive stuff about Ruff and Regier when they missed the playoffs? Thats what gets me so nervous.

Injuries matter, but almost everyone on the team had a down year statically. It wasnt just injuries. Injuries should not have had this team as the 2nd or 3rd worst team in the NHL half way through the year.

Seriously. When Ehrhoff and Myers went down. This team was the same team when they were 3rd worst team in the NHL. I'm sure we can get through with injuries on offense. Not to sure about injuries on the de. I'm sure when them 2 guys went down everyone knew the team was not making the playoffs.

SackTastic 06-19-2012 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood (Post 51080751)
But cant Pegula make other changes besides R&R? Like trading players? Heck, I even heard Pegula say the media makes players play bad. Maybe he would buy all Buffalo media outlets and force them to talk nice about the players?

If I were to guess, R&R get 3 free years to build the roster, then after that they get 3 more years to win with that roster. I have yet to hear Pegula's opinion on successful coaching firings, like in LA or St Louis, it would be interesting to hear what he says.

NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO.

Nobody wants Dan 'I have no idea what I'm doing' Snyder. Pegula owns the joint. Regier is in charge of the coach and player moves. Ruff is in charge of the players they have.

The owner shouldn't be meddling (that much) into hockey operations. If the guys he has aren't getting it done, remove them and hire people you think will. That's how it's supposed to work.

SabresAreScaryGood 06-19-2012 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beechsack (Post 51080971)
NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO.

Nobody wants Dan 'I have no idea what I'm doing' Snyder. Pegula owns the joint. Regier is in charge of the coach and player moves. Ruff is in charge of the players they have.

The owner shouldn't be meddling (that much) into hockey operations. If the guys he has aren't getting it done, remove them and hire people you think will. That's how it's supposed to work.

Thats how it is supposed to work, although Pegula isnt Snyder. At first I did make that comparison. He is the complete opposite in terms of loyalty. Snyder wants instant results, and his ego forces him to make dumb decisions. Pegula wants a happy working environment, a family environment. Pegula said it on day 1, his number 1 job is to be liked.

AlexanderMogilny89 06-19-2012 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood (Post 51081105)
Thats how it is supposed to work, although Pegula isnt Snyder. At first I did make that comparison. He is the complete opposite in terms of loyalty. Snyder wants instant results, and his ego forces him to make dumb decisions. Pegula wants a happy working environment, a family environment. Pegula said it on day 1, his number 1 job is to be liked.

Ask a Buffalo Sabres fan what they want. For their new owner to be liked? Or for the team to win a Cup? I thought he said his #1 priority was to win a Stanley Cup. Multiple. I'm very confused to where this is going on the being liked part.