HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Rumor: Unofficial Rumor & Proposal Thread Part VIII: Gagner on the block? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1211071)

McOilbleeder 06-19-2012 11:30 AM

Unofficial Rumor & Proposal Thread Part VIII: Gagner on the block?

Old thread here: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...3#post51082593

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oilmageddon (Post 51082389)
I think it is a case of a lot of teams having interest in Gagner other than the Oil trying to move him .

Quote:

Originally Posted by spot (Post 51082461)
I hope so, unless Tambo does feel that we have a small/weak top 6. Nuge is without a doubt a #1 center. We do probably still need a bigger #2 to compliment him. (Grigs, Jokinen, Staal)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homesick (Post 51082467)
Bare with me...imagination running wild

I believe the reason why the Oilers havent announced the next head coach is because the Flames are **** blocking dbags. Strong feeling that Sutter will be named HC 10:05am local. In the mean time there is nothing stopping Sutter from contacting an impending UFA from the Flames to see what kind of contract and role he's looking for. Would Ollie Jokinen be an option for 2C? He's a consistent 50+ point player, big body, and average defensively.

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Paajarvi-Jokinen-Yakupov
Hartikainen-Horcoff-Hemsky
Eager-Belanger-Jones
Lander/Petrell

Smid-Petry
Schultz-Whitney
Potter-Sutton
Tuebert

I think it would take a 3 year deal and probably 4.5-5 million on the open market

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 (Post 51082473)
I don't think we are trading Sam Gagner..yet. At least not at the draft. Hard to get a replacement center through trade and I'm not going to assume he's out there just because Jeff Marek and Mike Heika threw his name out there. Two reliable sources but neither are really connected to Edmonton.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CornKicker (Post 51082481)
unless that pick is guaranteed to be galyenchuk or grigorenko i dont trade gagner. if the dman coming back isnt 22-24 and already a top 4 dman then i dont make that move.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hemskyfanboy83 (Post 51082515)
Why do people act like Horcoff as the #2C will be the end of us? Is he really that much worse than Gagner?

I am sure he could put up the 40 or so points Gagner does if he played with our good wingers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by spot (Post 51082577)
You could be right regarding Jokinen as an option. I would not mind that. HOWEVER the rest of your projected team/line-up sucks. Our defence is still crap and our bottom 6 has no jam. Hemsky in the bottom 6?

Quote:

Originally Posted by CornKicker (Post 51082593)
as much as people hate gagner the reality is he is still a great passer/playmaker. Yakupov and one of MPS/Hall/Eberle will rather play with sam than horcoff, at least i would.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skm (Post 51082677)
Hey in fairness to him, he didn't pencil Justin Schultz in on the second pairing when we really have no idea if we're front runner to land him or even on his wish list yet.

But yeah that D is horrifying.

Continue here.

joestevens29 06-19-2012 11:34 AM

It appears Wild goaltender Josh Hading would rather stay in Minnesota long-term than sign elsewhere as a free agent.

According to the Minneapolis Star Tribune, Harding is looking for a multi-year contract before he becomes an unrestricted free agent on July 1.

Still think Backstrom is the one that is gone at some point this year.

spot 06-19-2012 11:35 AM

As it stands now, we are 1/3 teams he is interested in. If the Oilers are able to traded for Gardiner, one could safely assume that the Oilers should be the front runners for J.Schultz

Oilmageddon* 06-19-2012 11:36 AM

@ Hemskyfan boy Are you kidding Horcoff is plain brutal of a player he Can't take a pass with out fumbiling it in his feet or able to get a handle on it. He had the most pp time of any player on the team and Total ice time for forwards. Was number 3 for forwards in the entire nhl for being on the ice for goals against. The guy has lost a step had marginal skills to begin with and should be put out to pasture. The guy finished with one more point than Ryan Fn Jones with tons of pp and Ice time. If people have not been able to see how god awful he is see your eye doctor seriously.

backhandsauce 06-19-2012 11:38 AM

Could Bouwmeester help us out? I know he is soft as butter. I just have a feeling his skating and puck moving skills could really help out with our PP and evens.

Jimmi McJenkins 06-19-2012 11:38 AM

Is Gagner on the block? Maybe, but if this is the time and place where the team feels Both that they can get the best value and get the player they really like in the draft, then moving him makes sense.

Look, it's not ideal, but you can patch a couple NOT #1 center spots for a year or 2, then have your young talent take over and carry you forward.

Trade Gagner, buyout Horcoff, time for a new direction.

Petro Points 06-19-2012 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Okanagan Oil (Post 51082997)
Could Bouwmeester help us out? I know he is soft as butter. I just have a feeling his skating and puck moving skills could really help out with our PP and evens.

are you proposing a JBo for Horcoff swap here ;)

Oilmageddon* 06-19-2012 11:40 AM

Quote:

We just traded him at the deadline (Tom Gilbert) If you look at their careers almost carbon copy in every category year by year . The only difference Gilbert was a hell of a lot cheaper.

Jimmi McJenkins 06-19-2012 11:40 AM

Quote:

J-Bow doesn't make the Oilers' defense worse, but does throw a wrench into the Salary Cap, also unless Horcoff is going the other way, it makes no sense.

Mr Forever 06-19-2012 11:41 AM

If the management decides not to take Yakupov, we had better trade the pick and come out with more than just Murray.

joestevens29 06-19-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

I think he can. The problem is Feaster apparently wants to use him to trade up in the draft. Not something we are in any position to do.

dustrock 06-19-2012 11:44 AM

If the Oilers are that keen on Murray, why would they do the trade with Toronto?

It's doubtful to me that Murray will be there at #5, unless NYI bollocks it up by taking a forward or Reinhart, Reilly, Dumba etc instead of Murray.

If they want the #5 because they want Gardiner/Schenn and then Reinhart then do they really need to go after Schultz?

I think the Schultz angle is affecting what they're going to do at the draft, I can see Tambo saying "well I'm going to get Gardiner because he'll help the team regardless and maybe helps us get Schultz".

So does he take Reinhart at 5 or Grigorenko?

Mr Forever 06-19-2012 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dustrock (Post 51083259)
If the Oilers are that keen on Murray, why would they do the trade with Toronto?

It's doubtful to me that Murray will be there at #5, unless NYI bollocks it up by taking a forward or Reinhart, Reilly, Dumba etc instead of Murray.

If they want the #5 because they want Gardiner/Schenn and then Reinhart then do they really need to go after Schultz?

I think the Schultz angle is affecting what they're going to do at the draft, I can see Tambo saying "well I'm going to get Gardiner because he'll help the team regardless and maybe helps us get Schultz".

So does he take Reinhart at 5 or Grigorenko?

IMO they would be best off to come out of the draft with Gardiner (and nothing less from Toronto) AND Galchenyuk with the 5th, that is if they refuse to pick Yakupov.

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Paajarvi-Galchenyuk-Hemsky

Gardiner-Schultz
Smid-Petry
Whitney-Schultz

Is what I'm hoping for, if they won't take Yak.

Skm 06-19-2012 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Forever (Post 51083351)
IMO they would be best off to come out of the draft with Gardiner (and nothing less from Toronto) AND Galchenyuk with the 5th, that is if they refuse to pick Yakupov.

I agree with you about who to take at #5 but the fact that Galchenyuk wasn't invited to the city while 4 (5?) other prospects were likely deflates that idea.

Oilmageddon* 06-19-2012 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skm (Post 51083427)
I agree with you about who to take at #5 but the fact that Galchenyuk wasn't invited to the city while 4 (5?) other prospects likely deflates that idea.

Yea i'm pretty sure they have Grigorenko rated higher than Galy on their scouting lists.

OilDrop37 06-19-2012 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skm (Post 51083427)
I agree with you about who to take at #5 but the fact that Galchenyuk wasn't invited to the city while 4 (5?) other prospects likely deflates that idea.

Plus I doubt he falls past Montreal. I gotta admit I was impressed with his skills watching the highlights during the draft show last night.

trent_vinyl 06-19-2012 11:58 AM

Quote:

He could help out, although I'm not keen on his salary, but if Horcoff was going the other way I'd be more than happy. That being said, he wouldn't help our PP whatsoever. He's been brutal on Calgary's. No creativity whatsoever and one of the wimpiest shots ever.

BloFan4Life 06-19-2012 11:58 AM

What would you guys think about about Vanek and 12th overall for 1st overall??

Oilmageddon* 06-19-2012 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BloFan4Life (Post 51083797)

Tempting but Buffalo signed him to a outrageous contract.

joestevens29 06-19-2012 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BloFan4Life (Post 51083797)

Real decent offer. Tough to say.

Skm 06-19-2012 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oilmageddon (Post 51083873)
Tempting but Buffalo signed him to a outrageous contract.

I wonder why? :laugh:

Watching Vanek you can see that he is declining, and $7.1M is an insane amount for a 60pt RW (which we hopefully already have 2 of).

BowDangles 06-19-2012 12:07 PM

The more and more I think about trading Sam Gagner the more and more I start to dislike it. Sam made some pretty big strides last year and looked a lot faster until he hurt his ankle.

If he focuses on foot speed again this summer than he might be able to make that next step this season. Playing on a line with Hemsky and Yakupov will only help him as well.

Sam is only 22 and has already got multiple 40+ point seasons under his belt.

His trade value right now is not nearly as high as it can be, If we are actually thinking of trading him it better be for a overpayment otherwise lets see what he can do this year.

Trading him for a pick is really taking a step back and delaying the rebuild even longer. I don't know if the Oilers are willing to do that.

In my opinion if they are set on trading Gagner they should try to package Gagner for an upgrade on 2C.

CornKicker 06-19-2012 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skm (Post 51083947)

Watching Vanek you can see that he is declining, and $7.1M is an insane amount for a 60pt RW (which we hopefully already have 2 of).

vanek put up 60pts playing with bums, if we was shotgun to RNH and hall he would hit 80-90ish. that allows eberle to play the 2nd line which will allow him to score up into the 75-85 range as well.

the real problem i have with the trade is that after the top 8 or so the draft significantly drops off. 12 isnt really much for value.

Mr Forever 06-19-2012 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CornKicker (Post 51084317)
vanek put up 60pts playing with bums, if we was shotgun to RNH and hall he would hit 80-90ish. that allows eberle to play the 2nd line which will allow him to score up into the 75-85 range as well.

the real problem i have with the trade is that after the top 8 or so the draft significantly drops off. 12 isnt really much for value.

Why would you rather have Vanek than Yakupov...?

One is 18 and one has a 7+ mil contract. This makes no sense to me.

Maybe 12th OV and Myers for Yak.

BloFan4Life 06-19-2012 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skm (Post 51083947)

Well he makes 6.4 million for the next 2 years if that makes it any better.

I wouldn't say he is declining at all. He was on fire coming out last season, then as injuries happened, himself and the team, he definitely struggled a bit. I would say he is a 70 point winger, can play either side. He may be even more on a team like Edmonton. He doesn't get a lot of ice time here and Lindy system is all about putting defense before offense. This has allowed him to become a really good 2 way player but may have hurt his stats a little bit.

I know how you guys feel with just wanting to win now. In Buffalo we have been doing it for years with the Bills. Just thinking maybe you guys would want more of an immediate impact and a veteran who could help out such a young team over another great prospect.