HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Should Simon Gagné retire? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1211321)

triplcrown 06-19-2012 04:27 PM

Should Simon Gagné retire?

I say, YES.

Another big concussion might have effects that could last for
a number of years.

IMO, too much to risk.
:nod:

rajuabju 06-19-2012 05:10 PM

Should Crosby and all other players like Richards who have ever had a concussion all retire? Or are you just hoping to save $ or something?

Gagne is a legit top6 winger, something this team needs.

If he can play, he should come back, no doubt in my mind.

Jason Lewis 06-19-2012 05:26 PM

Yup. Get out man. No need to risk your life playing the game anymore. You got the ultimate prize and had some good years.

Also, the way you word the answers is kind of loaded in the "No" answer.

Obviously it's his life and he should do what he feels like.

It should just be...like in your opinion should he quit, Yes or No.

SLang 06-19-2012 05:27 PM

Life's a risk, and if he's willing to take it, who am I to say he shouldn't?

I think he has a lot to offer, and I hope he gets an injury-free year to show us what he's got!

Ziggy Stardust 06-19-2012 05:33 PM

How about we let him decide?

Nefarious 06-19-2012 05:40 PM

His body to with as he pleases.

Ron 06-19-2012 06:42 PM

My risk is higher every day merely by driving with all the other nuts on our fine freeways here in southern California.

Every day on this planet, life is a risk. I don't think we should gauge what Gagné does based on his concussion history; its his life and career and I say let him choose how he wishes to go forward.

Having said that, this guy was nails the first few weeks of the season...you may have forgotten his two-goal game (against St. Louis on opening night, if i recall correctly) and his shorty against Anaheim.

He made some great moves and was rapidly becoming my favorite player, then he tailed off for about a month before he was injured.

I still think this guy has tremendous value on the team. My feeling was always let the guy do what he wishes to do...I had heard a rumor he was contemplating retirement right before the playoffs started...obviously that didn't take place as he saw ice time the last four games of the Final.

triplcrown 06-19-2012 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaygokings (Post 51100397)
Yup. Get out man. No need to risk your life playing the game anymore. You got the ultimate prize and had some good years.

Also, the way you word the answers is kind of loaded in the "No" answer.

Obviously it's his life and he should do what he feels like.

It should just be...like in your opinion should he quit, Yes or No.

Actually I was loading it against my own opinion.:naughty:

But if Gagne ever did sustain a monster hit and go out on a stretcher, it would be dark moment in King history.
Personally, I can do w/o it.

DryIslandBartender 06-19-2012 07:39 PM

I say he's probably got another year in him...like Bob Miller, Gagne probably wants to go around the NHL one last time as a Champion.

That said, if I was him, I would retire and end my career on a good note.

drbob 06-19-2012 08:37 PM

obviously he's the best judge of his body:

and am sure he is going to make the right decision for him.

he seemed to do okay in the 4 games he played in the Final and he has another 3 months or so before training camp.

maybe he will begin camp and see how he feels, and if he is normal again, he will play out his contract.

Am sure glad Willie Mitchell came back after his last major concussion a couple years ago instead of retiring...

SMoneyMonkey 06-19-2012 08:43 PM

I love the options, really should be a little less loaded, still hilarious:

Yes, I, the voter, care about the well being of individuals
No, I, the vote, care only about my team and another concussion or ten would be fine with me. Whatever. What do I care. I lack empathy and am a bad, bad, selfish old man. :laugh:

I think he should definitely consider it, would love to see him back, though.

MsWoof 06-19-2012 08:50 PM

Way to turn him into a female!

The Black1963 06-19-2012 09:05 PM

He's a grown man, he can make his own decision in regards to retiring.

Having said that, I do think he'll be traded, especially, if we re-sign Penner. There's room for one of Penner or Gagne, not both.

johnjm22 06-19-2012 10:17 PM

2.5 million dollars is a lot to walk away from.

King'sPawn 06-19-2012 10:21 PM

He's been medically cleared to play. By a doctor. Someone who actually examined him and knows about medicine.

Are there people arrogant enough to claim they know better than the doctor and Gagne?

MxK1NGS 06-19-2012 10:31 PM

I expect him to play at least 2 more seasons. Hope he does not suffer any more concussions. Seeing what is happneing to Deadmarsh, I would hate to see it happen to anyone else. Marc Savard seems to even be worse than Deadmarsh.

Puck U 06-19-2012 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King'sPawn (Post 51116295)
He's been medically cleared to play. By a doctor. Someone who actually examined him and knows about medicine.

Are there people arrogant enough to claim they know better than the doctor and Gagne?

Well about 8 of them so far :sarcasm:

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsWoof (Post 51111649)
Way to turn him into a female!

I was gonna say ... didn't realize Gagne had a vagina ... but you're way is much more classy ;)

ShattStar03 06-20-2012 03:31 AM

I'll let the man be the judge of that, its his body let him do what he wants (except when it involves murdering babies lol).

SCARFACE909 06-20-2012 03:40 AM

If he still has the passion for the game which i think we can all agree he does and he feels healthy enough to play then by all means he'll play.

CharlieGirl 06-20-2012 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BerniernextRoy (Post 51107995)
I say he's probably got another year in him...like Bob Miller, Gagne probably wants to go around the NHL one last time as a Champion.

Good point. I'd bet he plays out this contract and then hangs 'em up - for his long term health, I hope he has a year without a head injury so he can enjoy this coming season to the fullest.

Reaper45 06-20-2012 09:03 AM

It's fully up to him but I think if I was in his shoes I'd probably hang them up.

damacles1156 06-20-2012 09:24 AM

When 55 to 65 games is considered a healthy season from you. It's probably time to look at hanging them up.

Gagne has only played 70+ games ONE time out of the last Five years. He has never played 82 games (that is for a his career). Gagne has only played 75+ games Five times in his entire career(that's out of Twelve NHL seasons).

kingsholygrail 06-20-2012 09:41 AM

If he didn't feel ready, he would not have returned in the Finals.

jonrazor12 06-20-2012 10:18 AM

No. But not for the reason you listed.

He should not retire because he still has a lot left in the tank and can be a valuable asset to the kings during their attempt to defend their championship.

triplcrown 06-20-2012 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SMoneyMonkey (Post 51111249)
I love the options, really should be a little less loaded, still hilarious:

Yes, I, the voter, care about the well being of individuals
No, I, the vote, care only about my team and another concussion or ten would be fine with me. Whatever. What do I care. I lack empathy and am a bad, bad, selfish old man. :laugh:

I think he should definitely consider it, would love to see him back, though.

I sorta' want him back, regardless.
He definitely can still contribute, although it might be more
as a bottom-6er plus special teams.

But it makes me feel a little dirty.:sarcasm:

As long as he doesn't get another mega-concussion, there's no problem.

But if he does, and the next 3-5 years of his life are ruined by a distorted sense of perception,
memory lapses, depression and frequent migraines, it's not my fault!
Noi sirree. :shakehead

Uh, who was Junior Seau?