HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Carey Price (UPD: McKenzie expects 6-7 years, $6-6.5m per, to be done soon) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1211501)

nhlfan9191 06-19-2012 07:17 PM

Carey Price (UPD: McKenzie expects 6-7 years, $6-6.5m per, to be done soon)
 
You have to think new management has been working on a deal with Carey Price. How much should he make? I hate to be a downer but I Don't think we should sign him for longer than 4 years because the pressure in Montreal is enough to drive the best of goalies out of town. Well, what is the length/salary your comfortable with?

PricePkPatch 06-19-2012 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 (Post 51106793)
You have to think new management has been working on a deal with Carey Price. How much should he make? I hate to be a downer but I Don't think we should sign him for longer than 4 years because the pressure in Montreal is enough to drive the best of goalies out of town. Well, what is the length/salary your comfortable with?

No uber-long term contract. Something like you said, 4 years, @5-6M

It's not only because of the "Montreal Pressure", but just the basic pressure exposed to goalies who sign long-term contracts. It never really ended well for them. Thomas, Luongo, etc... All of them end up living parts of hell as time goes on, when they have bad streches, etc..

4 years gives everybody the flexibility to prevent the atmosphere from going too toxic.

the 06-19-2012 07:20 PM

5m$-5.5m$ anything over 6m$ is going to be disappointing

Shabutie 06-19-2012 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the (Post 51106979)
5m$-5.5m$ anything over 6m$ is going to be disappointing

Agreed...I don't want another Theo thing happening. Would be funny if we drafted Malcom and went full circle.

Strik_IX 06-19-2012 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shabutie (Post 51107251)
Agreed...I don't want another Theo thing happening. Would be funny if we drafted Malcom and went full circle.

If he's available at 33 I'd draft Malcolm, I'm hoping we draft em all :P

Team_Spirit 06-19-2012 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the (Post 51106979)
5m$-5.5m$ anything over 6m$ is going to be disappointing

Thank god he was in the bottom tier in GAA,Save %, SO and Wins last year.

We would be looking at 8M+ lol

Roke 06-19-2012 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Team_Spirit (Post 51108201)
Thank god he was in the bottom tier in GAA,Save %, SO and Wins last year.

We would be looking at 8M+ lol

Fun fact: Price's even-strength save percentage over the last two seasons is the same as Devan Dubnyk's.

I'm hoping 5 years or less, around $5 million/year.

thebinne4pres 06-19-2012 08:05 PM

6 years with a salary of 5-5.5 millions

kassian 06-19-2012 08:11 PM

Nothing more than 5.5 million.

Stjonnypopo 06-19-2012 08:22 PM

This is kind of scary because we like to compare him to Rinne. Price is younger and still has a ways to go to be as well rounded as Rinne (IMO) but it's close, and Rinne signed 7 years - 49M. I think 7M a year is too much but would you guys be disappointed with the exact same contract? I would think it's a bit much but I would be happy to have him locked up long-term like that.

Kriss E 06-19-2012 08:24 PM

I see him getting around 4-5years between 4.5-5.5M. We'll see just how good Bergevin is at negotiating. If he sucks, we might end up with a terrible deal, but I doubt this will happen.

nhlfan9191 06-19-2012 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo (Post 51110289)
This is kind of scary because we like to compare him to Rinne. Price is younger and still has a ways to go to be as well rounded as Rinne (IMO) but it's close, and Rinne signed 7 years - 49M. I think 7M a year is too much but would you guys be disappointed with the exact same contract? I would think it's a bit much but I would be happy to have him locked up long-term like that.

What if the habs fans turn on him in 2 years and he does the Patrick Roy salute. We aren't going to be able to trade him for David Aebischer this time. Not with a Rinne like contract.

Talks to Goalposts 06-19-2012 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo (Post 51110289)
This is kind of scary because we like to compare him to Rinne. Price is younger and still has a ways to go to be as well rounded as Rinne (IMO) but it's close, and Rinne signed 7 years - 49M. I think 7M a year is too much but would you guys be disappointed with the exact same contract? I would think it's a bit much but I would be happy to have him locked up long-term like that.

Rinne's recent numbers are much better and he was a UFA to be. They really shouldn't have comparable contracts.

the 06-19-2012 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts (Post 51110547)
Rinne's recent numbers are much better and he was a UFA to be. They really shouldn't have comparable contracts.

Agree,Rinne is above Price on the food chain.

Blind Gardien 06-19-2012 08:52 PM

I go with the Thoroughbred Hypothesis. A 10-year contract is fine by me. Anything under $7M per is going to be a bargain for us at some point over that kind of term.

Darz 06-19-2012 09:00 PM

no goalie...EVER, should be signed for more than 5 years.

with only 1 starting goalie position available per team, anything longer than 5 years is crazy. you have no idea what situation you will be in 5 years, prospect wise, and such.

Subnordi 06-19-2012 09:07 PM

I'd say a 2 year $0.75 million per year, 2 way contract otta do it

Freaky Habs Fan 06-19-2012 09:09 PM

I really like Price and I don't care how much he gets and for how long because he's our most important player and he will stay our most important players for years. He's young and talented. He's a keeper so I hope we sign him long term.

Miller Time 06-19-2012 09:13 PM

5-7 years in the 6m$ range would be a solid deal for us...

if we offer less than 5 yrs, I'll be shocked if we get him for less than 6M$

he and his agent aren't stupid, market value wise they won't give us any UFA years unless we're paying a premium, and it would be stupid for us to haggle him down in the short term only to lose him the minute he hits UFA status.

we have zero depth at the position, and talents like his are hard to come by.

pay the man, cross the fingers that he doesn't suffer a major injury (or meltdown), and enjoy having a top-tier goalie for years to come...

Shabutie 06-19-2012 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind Gardien (Post 51111715)
I go with the Thoroughbred Hypothesis. A 10-year contract is fine by me. Anything under $7M per is going to be a bargain for us at some point over that kind of term.

What has Price done to warrant a 10 year deal? I like the guy, but he hasn't been stellar in the playoffs. He's a solid number 1, but not worth 10 years in the 7m range.

poetryinmotion 06-19-2012 09:15 PM

Whatever it takes.

76ftw 06-19-2012 09:17 PM

you guys complain about how few good assets we have, then when we have one of the most valuable assets in the league you bash him. Jesus.

Blind Gardien 06-19-2012 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shabutie (Post 51112959)
What has Price done to warrant a 10 year deal? I like the guy, but he hasn't been stellar in the playoffs. He's a solid number 1, but not worth 10 years in the 7m range.

Oh, but he will be. Have faith. That's core to the Thoroughbred Hypothesis. :naughty:

Habs 4 Life 06-19-2012 09:20 PM

6 years 30 million

the 06-19-2012 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind Gardien (Post 51113285)
Oh, but he will be. Have faith. That's core to the Thoroughbred Hypothesis. :naughty:

I had faith in Theodore too...he was king of the town, the next big thing. He was a sure bet and anybody against him knew nothing about hockey.

Here we are again...same story but I guess this time it's going to be different? Atleast Theo had his Hart and Vezina thing going for him.

Price is going on the right tracker but he needs to prove WAY more before he gets his 6m+


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:10 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.