HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Wrestling (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=240)
-   -   Watch any classic wrestling (as in non-current) lately? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1211561)

Habsfan18 06-19-2012 09:42 PM

Watch any classic wrestling (as in non-current) lately?

We can use the term "classic" pretty loosely, as we can really consider anything non current as "classic" for this thread. So if you were watching a PPV from 2 years ago, go ahead and post it with your thoughts.

I've been watching the buildup to WCW's Great American Bash 1995 recently, and then watched the PPV. Not the greatest PPV, but I love me some classic WCW. :) The event featured a pretty good opener - Brian Pillman vs Alex Wright - but the rest of the card was largely unforgettable. This was also the PPV that featured Arn Anderson's most forgettable and embarrassing moment(he actually said it himself)...losing the Television title to the Renegade. Yes, the Ultimate Warrior rip off who fans didn't give two craps about.

Also, earlier I popped in the December 13th, 1991 episode of WWF Superstars. Featured squash matches involving Jake Roberts (when he was a fantastic heel), Virgil, The Natural Disasters, the Bushwackers, "El Matador" Tito Santana, and the Beverly Brothers. In the event center, we had some buildup to the 1992 Royal Rumble PPV with interviews by The Berzerker, El Matador, The Warlord, The Undertaker, and Ric Flair amongst others.

So come on guys, I can't be the only "classic" watcher on here, can I?

ColePens 06-19-2012 09:44 PM

I watched SummerSlam 93 to see why the hell I got so addicted to wrestling. Man was it bad! I will get the WWE channel when it comes out and I just know i'll be up at midnight watching old old old shows.

Habsfan18 06-19-2012 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColePens (Post 51111319)
I watched SummerSlam 93 to see why the hell I got so addicted to wrestling. Man was it bad! I will get the WWE channel when it comes out and I just know i'll be up at midnight watching old old old shows.

Basically the end of the ridiculously hyped up American hero gimmick with Lex Luger and the "Lex Express." :laugh:

All of that to end up with a lame count out victory over Yoko.

17futurecap 06-19-2012 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habsfan18 (Post 51111709)
Basically the end of the ridiculously hyped up American hero gimmick with Lex Luger and the "Lex Express." :laugh:

All of that to end up with a lame count out victory over Yoko.

Luger getting off the helicopter at the Intrepid and giving an awful body slam to Yokozuna was hilariously awful, but as a kid I loved it.

Morozov 06-19-2012 09:56 PM

Been watching through this Blu Ray last couple of days, I guess 2012 means this stuff is long enough ago to be "classic" maybe?

Habsfan18 06-19-2012 10:15 PM

Speaking of classic, this tune still gives me goosebumps and gives me wild memories.

TwistedWristah 06-19-2012 10:39 PM

Watched a couple matches from the recent Wrestlemania DVD. That ladder match w/ Hbk and Razor got me hooked all those years ago. Very fun match.

Ozz 06-19-2012 10:44 PM

Lots of old, random WWF matches from the '80s and early '90s. Lots of tag matches as I was looking up Demolition and the Hart Foundation, my two all-time faves, and kept branching off from the related videos in the sidebar.

BrickAHL 06-19-2012 10:45 PM

Where do you guys watch classic matches? on youtube?

M.C.G. 31 06-19-2012 10:47 PM

I was watching Edge/Mysterio vs. Benoit/Angle not too long ago. Arguably the best tag team match I've ever seen.

ColePens 06-19-2012 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morozov (Post 51111983)
Been watching through this Blu Ray last couple of days, I guess 2012 means this stuff is long enough ago to be "classic" maybe?

I've been trying to find this online. Let me know what you think of the DVD.

17futurecap 06-19-2012 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrickAHL (Post 51114585)

Yea, they have some great stuff. Just search for a wrestler and matches will pop up, or you can search for an old PPV, and usually people have posted whole events in 15 minute parts.

Habsfan18 06-19-2012 11:20 PM

Quote:

In my case, I have a very large collection that I believe would make many people here jealous ;). I have spent a very large amount of cash over the years working on my collection buying from sellers and traders from around the web. I haven't downloaded anything if that's what anyone is wondering. Many sellers offer DVDs of old VHS recordings from years back. Recorded shows and stuff. It is ridiculously cool watching old footage and reliving classic moments and memories

ColePens 06-19-2012 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habsfan18 (Post 51116231)
In my case, I have a very large collection that I believe would make many people here jealous ;). I have spent a very large amount of cash over the years working on my collection buying from sellers and traders from around the web. I haven't downloaded anything if that's what anyone is wondering. Many sellers offer DVDs of old VHS recordings from years back. Recorded shows and stuff. It is ridiculously cool watching old footage and reliving classic moments and memories

Out of all the shows, dvds, PPVs, etc.... what are you top 5-10 shows that you put in all the time.

I will be very honest, I watch WM17 over and over and over again. I cannot get enough of that show. I also watch WM 10 a lot but go to the matches I want to see.

Ozz 06-19-2012 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habsfan18 (Post 51116231)

My grandma used to tape everything too. She had stacks of VHS tapes of Saturday Night's Main Event, the PPVs, Wrestling Superstars, all of 'em. It was insane. We only bought a few VHS PPVs but did tape them all. She even taped each Raw, Smackdown, etc. Like you mentioned I ended up becoming a seller/trader in my teenage years in the late '90s, amassing all sorts of wrestling memorabilia. It's all gone now though except, for some reason, the Coliseum Home Video of SummerSlam '88.

17futurecap 06-19-2012 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColePens (Post 51117127)
Out of all the shows, dvds, PPVs, etc.... what are you top 5-10 shows that you put in all the time.

I will be very honest, I watch WM17 over and over and over again. I cannot get enough of that show. I also watch WM 10 a lot but go to the matches I want to see.

Man 17 was so good. I actually went to 10 since it was at MSG, but I was pretty young so I really only remember the ladder match. Watched the whole ppv back a few weeks ago, and Brett/Owen is a classic.

End of Line 06-20-2012 12:49 AM

Watched this the other day, in it's entirety. Halloween Havoc 1998.

Big Poppa Puck 06-20-2012 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozz (Post 51117429)
My grandma used to tape everything too.

This reminded me of the time I taped over my sisters' Christening with Raw. :laugh:

I recently watched the Best of Nitro DVD and I was getting re-caught up in a lot of storylines again only for it to skip ahead a few months and I'm like "FFUUUUUUUUUUU!!!111"

Morozov 06-20-2012 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by End of Line (Post 51119883)
Watched this the other day, in it's entirety. Halloween Havoc 1998.

Is this the Halloween Havoc with Raven and Jericho for the TV belt and Nash vs Hall?

it was great when justin.tv had people streaming this stuff all the time but all gone now :(

M.C.G. 31 06-20-2012 08:46 AM

Quote:

I have a lot downloaded and on iTunes. Some that I don't have I'll watch online.

Concordski 06-20-2012 10:59 AM

I'm currently watching the Monday Night Wars in it's entirety, I'm at the Royal Rumble 1996

Shoalzie 06-20-2012 12:00 PM

I love watching old ECW on YouTube...

CaptainCrunch67 06-20-2012 12:28 PM

The fight network shows a lot of vintage stuff, they've been playing a lot of UWF stuff which is pretty awesome wrestling with a lot of pretty recognizable stars. But Herb Abrahms on color makes it so worth watching.

Plus some of the WWE vintage collection that they've been doing lately around the cruiser weights has been great to watch.

Habsfan18 06-20-2012 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColePens (Post 51117127)

That's a really tough one. It would be hard to make an actual list but I've always enjoyed Wrestlemania 6, and Royal Rumble 1990. I used to watch those as a kid as I owned them on VHS. I still have them but I also bought the WM and RR anthology collections when they came out on DVD.

I'm with you on WM17 though. Was one of the best. Recently though, I've been watching a lot of WCW Saturday Night from 1992. Mainly the "King Of Cable" tournament, as well as some old school ECW.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozz (Post 51117429)
My grandma used to tape everything too. She had stacks of VHS tapes of Saturday Night's Main Event, the PPVs, Wrestling Superstars, all of 'em. It was insane. We only bought a few VHS PPVs but did tape them all. She even taped each Raw, Smackdown, etc. Like you mentioned I ended up becoming a seller/trader in my teenage years in the late '90s, amassing all sorts of wrestling memorabilia. It's all gone now though except, for some reason, the Coliseum Home Video of SummerSlam '88.

It's really neat to go back and watch those, isn't it? It's too bad you don't have them any more. I would recommend starting to collect again but believe me it's a lot of cash and time put into it if you want a large collection. I've spent a lot more money on collections (I collect freaking everything) than I probably should have. Thankfully my wife is understanding. :laugh:

GarbageGoal 06-20-2012 01:12 PM

I love watching the small territory stuff from the mid 80's. Mid South and Memphis mostly. It's all over You Tube.

I'm hopeful the WWE network shows some of this, and in a way that makes sense.