HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Ethan Moreau Retired (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1212239)

Shootmaster_44 06-20-2012 08:04 PM

Ethan Moreau Retired

It looks like Ethan Moreau retired today. He took a position as a part-time scout with the Canadiens.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=398809

I know the Kings assigned him to Manchester, but it appears he never played. Was he hurt or did he just not report?

Puck U 06-20-2012 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shootmaster_44 (Post 51159049)
I know the Kings assigned him to Manchester, but it appears he never played. Was he hurt or did he just not report?

Hurt ... butt, along with a wounded, ego ;)

Shootmaster_44 06-20-2012 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puck U (Post 51159443)
Hurt ... butt, along with a wounded, ego ;)

I sort of figured. But its funny the Monarchs still had him on their website's roster. I figure he would have been suspended or something.

Does hockey have the same rules as baseball where a player can refuse assignment to the AHL (or ECHL) and become a free agent?

Wildturkey12 06-20-2012 08:16 PM

He had a great career and will go down as one of the greatest Kings of all time. I wonder if they retire his jersey? Thanks Ethan, I will never forget the 28 games that you wore that Kings jersey.

Shootmaster_44 06-20-2012 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildturkey12 (Post 51159751)
He had a great career and will go down as one of the greatest Kings of all time. I wonder if they retire his jersey? Thanks Ethan, I will never forget the 28 games that you wore that Kings jersey.

Lol. He's got Alyn McCauley beat though. Funny, I saw both of them play live in a Kings uniform. Trent Hunter too for that matter.

Reaper45 06-20-2012 09:49 PM

cyclones22 06-20-2012 11:39 PM

So does Jeff Carter take 17 back or does he stay with 77, his Cup winning number?

DAkings20 06-20-2012 11:40 PM

His name better be on the cup

Herby 06-20-2012 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAkings20 (Post 51169063)

http://a.espncdn.com/i/magazine/new/protective_cup.jpg

The Kings have had many awful players over the years. Moreau may not have been the worst, but he was up there.

ScoreZeGoals 06-21-2012 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyclones22 (Post 51169017)
So does Jeff Carter take 17 back or does he stay with 77, his Cup winning number?

I'm hoping Carter sticks with 77.

cyclones22 06-21-2012 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScoreZeGoals (Post 51170433)
I'm hoping Carter sticks with 77.

Me too. But I think it's been reported that Dean doesn't like regular roster players having high numbers. Maybe he'll make an exception in this case :handclap:.

Puck U 06-21-2012 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyclones22 (Post 51170569)
Me too. But I think it's been reported that Dean doesn't like regular roster players having high numbers. Maybe he'll make an exception in this case :handclap:.

Wasn't Dean ... if I recall correctly that was Coach Crawford, and the issue came up when Jack Johnson wanted #78 to play off of his BFF Cindy Crosby ;) he was given #33 at first, then the following year took #3 and it stuck with him, I can't remember if it was because Aaron Miller still had #3 at the time or ?

Ron 06-21-2012 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyclones22 (Post 51170569)

This all reminds me of the story of Martinez being told he has to "pick another number" because they didn't want him wearing #53.

So, here he is with #27 and then we have Hunter #47, Loktionov #48, Nolan #71, King #74, and Carter #77...and Martinez has to be wondering "who the **** did I piss off, anyway?"

I think all these players should be allowed whatever number they want, its a silly issue anyway. Can you imagine Dean telling Gretzky back in the day "no, you can't wear #99, because its too high?"

I didn't think so.

Herby 06-21-2012 01:25 AM

Usually when a guy like Martinez is told to choose a new number it signifies they have arrived as NHL players and ditch the training camp/minor league numbers. I'm sure the same will happen with King and Nolan this coming season.

They let Smyth wear 94, although maybe Dean was being nice in letting him wear his age as a number. I believe Purcell also wore a high number with the Kings.

I personally like it when guys wear high numbers.

Scottkmlps 06-21-2012 01:25 AM

Quote:

Why, because he all of a sudden had a concussion when he was sent down? In my opinion, he faked an injury so he didn't have to play for an AHL team at the twilight of his career.

DaAnimal 06-21-2012 01:29 AM

bleh i feel bad for hunter. I wonder if he will get his name on the cup :(

Herby 06-21-2012 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaAnimal (Post 51172069)
bleh i feel bad for hunter. I wonder if he will get his name on the cup :(

Probably not, but I hope he gets a ring.

I mentioned in the thread on the main board, Hunter was a total pro about the whole thing. He hadn't been in the AHL in a decade and had career earnings of over 12 million dollars but still went down there and honored his contract and played.

Moreau was just unprofessional about the entire thing, the guy should have been happy he sucked anyone into giving him a guaranteed 500k considering he was done as an NHL player in 2010.

Perro 06-21-2012 11:11 AM

I'll admit that I was very happy with the signing of moreau.
I thought it would be an excellent depth winger, who would provide more leadership, and some PK experience. I also thought he would provide some grit and some hard hits. I liked what he brought to the Oilers, and Blue Jackets and thought that if could still bring half of that here it was a great value signing.
I've really respected the way Moreau has been able to play on the edge without going over it to the point of him being labelled a thug. It is too bad the way things went. I still think it was worth a shot bringing him in, and they cut their ties at the right time. Definately no hard feelings on this end.

Whiskeypete 06-21-2012 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herby (Post 51172203)
Probably not, but I hope he gets a ring.

I mentioned in the thread on the main board, Hunter was a total pro about the whole thing. He hadn't been in the AHL in a decade and had career earnings of over 12 million dollars but still went down there and honored his contract and played.

Moreau was just unprofessional about the entire thing, the guy should have been happy he sucked anyone into giving him a guaranteed 500k considering he was done as an NHL player in 2010.

the ironic thing about Ethan is he was signed to provide veteran leadership and depth. how he handled the demotion and subsequent butt hurt was the opposite of what DL thought he was getting. he could have gone to MAN (just like Hunter) and shared his experience and leadership to an even younger group of players with hopes of the NHL. he could have left the league (as a player) by instilling professionalism to a new crop of guys, instead he showed how to be ungrateful to a team giving him one last chance.

Butch 19 06-21-2012 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron (Post 51171807)
This all reminds me of the story of Martinez being told he has to "pick another number" because they didn't want him wearing #53.

So, here he is with #27 and then we have Hunter #47, Loktionov #48, Nolan #71, King #74, and Carter #77...and Martinez has to be wondering "who the **** did I piss off, anyway?"

I think all these players should be allowed whatever number they want, its a silly issue anyway. Can you imagine Dean telling Gretzky back in the day "no, you can't wear #99, because its too high?"

I didn't think so.

Did you just compare Martinez to Gretzky?

I can see that.

Herby 06-21-2012 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whiskeypete (Post 51196789)
the ironic thing about Ethan is he was signed to provide veteran leadership and depth. how he handled the demotion and subsequent butt hurt was the opposite of what DL thought he was getting. he could have gone to MAN (just like Hunter) and shared his experience and leadership to an even younger group of players with hopes of the NHL. he could have left the league (as a player) by instilling professionalism to a new crop of guys, instead he showed how to be ungrateful to a team giving him one last chance.

A lot of the veteran players the Kings brought in proved to be grade A jerks.

Blake came back to play volleyball everyday and make 6 mill a year in a no pressure situation, he provided no leadership (it was Jaroslav Modry who helped out Jack more than anyone), Cloutier blamed everyone but himself for his awful play. Smyth was only concerned about his stats and his next contract. Moreau proved what kind of person he was with the demotion fiasco.

Really makes you appreciate guys like Mitchell and Scuderi.

GKJ 06-21-2012 05:15 PM

Quote:

Uh, why?

DAkings20 06-21-2012 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottkmlps (Post 51171967)
Why, because he all of a sudden had a concussion when he was sent down? In my opinion, he faked an injury so he didn't have to play for an AHL team at the twilight of his career.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GKJ (Post 51203883)
Uh, why?

:sarcasm:

Jason Lewis 06-21-2012 05:53 PM

Some peoples sarcasm detectors didn't have batteries! Uh oooooooh

SLang 06-21-2012 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butch 19 (Post 51196975)
Did you just compare Martinez to Gretzky?

I can see that.

Well, Martinez DID bring more Stanley Cups to LA than Gretzky.......:laugh: