HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Waiting on Luongo (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1213171)

BillyD 06-21-2012 08:34 PM

Waiting on Luongo
 
Just a little theory to bounce off you guys...

1) we are living in an era where we are witnessing the complete fusion of entertainment and sport (i.e. Yankees/YES, Red Sox/NESN, NFL/NFL Network, Comcast/Flyers/NHL/NBC Sports Network, CFL/TSN, etc., etc., etc.)

2) the sale of the Ontario Teachers Pension Plan's majority interest in MLSE to Bell (TSN) and Rogers was recently approved by the NHL.
http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/...stamped-by-nhl

3) we now have a GM who putting his 'ears to the train tracks' recently declares himself to be in the entertainment industry rather than the sports industry.


4) in the same interview cited above, said GM defended his record with the Leafs by asserting 'we feel we are a playoff team if we can upgrade the goaltending'. If a deal were not already done for a goalie it would not make sense to give leverage to potential trading partners by making such a statement.

5) in the US where the complete fusion of sport and entertainment has been much more accelerated than here in Canada, we have already witnessed entertainment interests taking precedence over sport with the absurd broadcast of LBJ's The Decision on TSN's parent network ESPN:


6) most commentators from Damien Cox to Pierre Maguire seem to agree the only logical destination for Luongo is Toronto for a bunch of reasons discussed to death.

7) in order to create drama TSN teased us today with Leafs/Sabres draft swap shenanigans to raise the possibility of a Ryan Miller trade;

8) TSN seeing a Vancouver/Toronto rating bonanza cannot resist the temptation of insisting the trade not be announced until their Draft Show tomorrow;

9) Burke has no reason to resist the pressures from a network with an ownership interest, as he sees himself as being in the "entertainment industry";

10) tomorrow, TSN upstages its parent company ESPN with the "The Trade" - Burke sits directly across the table from Duthie as was foreshadowed today, and confirms a deal consummated weeks ago.

Luongo to the Leafs.

THE END

Regina Pat 06-21-2012 08:37 PM

Cool Analysis.

I still don't know what I would do if we got Luo...

Alexander Baigle 06-21-2012 08:43 PM

When Burke says he works for the entertainment industry, I'm pretty sure he means the hockey. Not everything else.

mpleafan 06-21-2012 08:43 PM

that.was.deep! :sarcasm: but honestly u kinda made it sound like u were one o those conspiracy theorists..... :D

Blaylock38 06-21-2012 08:47 PM

If we get him we are a lock to get in the playoffs. His former goalie coach is here, a defence minded coach, size and skill on the blueline, we are still questionable down the middle, but we have enough talent, plus all of the potential wild cards: kadri, colbourne ect....

The contract is not as much of an albatross that people may think, the cap hit is more than reasonable, and if he retires, we get rid of his cap hit.

This has to be the easiest decision to make, GET HIM!!!!!

Leaf Lander 06-21-2012 08:47 PM

Hopefully not

BayStBullies 06-21-2012 08:56 PM

I didn't think it was possible to jump to a conclussion that far.

calcal798 06-21-2012 08:59 PM

As long as:

We dont give up significant assets for him, and his salary/caphit doesn't cause us severe problems when the new CBA is determined.

GoHardSports 06-21-2012 08:59 PM

http://twilight.ponychan.net/chan/fi...3990821617.jpg

Mansfield 06-21-2012 09:00 PM

lol nice conspiracy theory, at least it was entertaining..nice job OP :P

Nazem Gretzky 06-21-2012 09:12 PM

Can't wait to pull a Brian Wilson when we acquire him.

#GOTHEEM

ALine 06-21-2012 09:28 PM

So its all an elaborate arrangement between the Canucks organization, MLSE, Rogers and Bell, just to upstage Lebron?



Far-fetched conspiracy theories aside, there is value to be had for both MLSE and TSN, in viewership at positive press. Both are owned mostly by BELL. Bell and their MLSE owning counterparts Rogers, could see a great and profitable marketing campaign having Luongo in Toronto. He would not only help the team, but on the business side also, he ise very enticing to acquire. They may have a say in that regard, if their ownership duties have already commenced.

Vexxed14 06-21-2012 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALine (Post 51217713)
So its all an elaborate arrangement between the Canucks organization, MLSE, Rogers and Bell, just to upstage Lebron?



Far-fetched conspiracy theories aside, there is value to be had for both MLSE and TSN, in viewership at positive press. Both are owned mostly by BELL. Bell and their MLSE owning counterparts Rogers, could see a great and profitable marketing campaign having Luongo in Toronto. He would not only help the team, but on the business side also, he ise very enticing to acquire. They may have a say in that regard, if their ownership duties have already commenced.

I believe Burke would quit if the MLSE micromanagement wagon started up again. It was a major issue for him before coming here.

KingBuzzo 06-21-2012 09:33 PM

Man, this has to come to an end. And soon. Soon dammit!

Tyke 06-21-2012 10:05 PM

I would rather Reimer and Scrivens and a lottery pick than a huge fat contract like RL's.

Kessely Snipes 06-21-2012 10:15 PM

I'm at the point one way or another I hope he is dealt somewhere.

Predaleafs 06-21-2012 10:19 PM

If there is anything like a deal in place for him it wouldnt have to do with what you said. In Burke saying he is ok with Riemer and Scrivens, which idk how you could go into a season with two unknowns again, it could be to drive down the price. think about it:

Gillis tells Burke the cost is Komisarek and 35th overall and Holzer for him (again this isnt an offer this is just an example)

Burke says he will think about it, goes on TV and stats we are ok with our goaltending.

Gillis, needing to move Lou, hears about this and says ok Komi and Holzer,

Burke says ok.

He could be using the tv to his advantage here

KingBuzzo 06-21-2012 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kessely Snipes (Post 51220057)
I'm at the point one way or another I hope he is dealt somewhere.

Same. Mostly just to see how close and how off some of these proposals are.

Vexxed14 06-21-2012 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predaleafs (Post 51220275)
If there is anything like a deal in place for him it wouldnt have to do with what you said. In Burke saying he is ok with Riemer and Scrivens, which idk how you could go into a season with two unknowns again, it could be to drive down the price. think about it:

Gillis tells Burke the cost is Komisarek and 35th overall and Holzer for him (again this isnt an offer this is just an example)

Burke says he will think about it, goes on TV and stats we are ok with our goaltending.

Gillis, needing to move Lou, hears about this and says ok Komi and Holzer,

Burke says ok.

He could be using the tv to his advantage here

Exactly

We also hear the Vancouver propaganda of talks heating up when T.O and Van haven't spoken all day.

It's all a part of the show

Inverted 06-21-2012 10:34 PM

http://images.zap2it.com/images/tv-E...-ventura-5.jpg

smoke meat pete* 06-21-2012 11:05 PM

After Burke claimed he was going with Screimer, his pollsters went to work to see how it effected his approval rating and how it changed after the Luongo rumours started.

crump 06-21-2012 11:37 PM

insert "it was aliens" meme here.

Interesting take on things, we will see how it shakes out.
But seriously get some sleep bud.

Tak7 06-22-2012 12:06 AM

If it happens, it happens. If it doesn't happen, then Burke is pinning his life on Reimer and Scrivens.

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoke meat pete (Post 51223115)
After Burke claimed he was going with Screimer, his pollsters went to work to see how it effected his approval rating and how it changed after the Luongo rumours started.

Negotiation tactics;

Leafs - we are happy going with Reimer + Scrivens

Vancouver - we have never said Luongo is available

1 - Does Luongo make the Leafs better? Yes

2 - Are there many/any other options out there? Probably not.

3 - What sort of price should the Leafs be paying to get him? Probably not that much.

4 - Are the Leafs the only team interested in him? Definitely not. Florida has to be in there somewhere. Some believe that SJ and Chicago are involved, even though Van are unlikely to trade to them. As poor a goaltender's market as their might be right there, there is a market nonetheless. Hence why a deal hasn't been made yet.

tacoburrito 06-22-2012 04:27 AM

the leafs are gonna be a salary floor team in like 3 years. yay rogers!

Aplayaz2000 06-22-2012 04:42 AM

dont like that dirty guy

keep him off the Leafs PLEASE


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:42 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.