HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Minnesota Wild (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Looking back through the years; Worst draft pick? Best draft pick? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1213385)

thestonedkoala 06-22-2012 12:45 AM

Looking back through the years; Worst draft pick? Best draft pick?

When the organization was first announced; Risebrough had tampered expectations with his 5 year plan. That went out the window in 2003. But those early picks are easy to criticize as DR wanted to get some warm bodies into play, so he had to choose some overaged players.

Throwing out the 2000-2004 drafts because of this and DR's 5 year plans, it's easy to criticize the first three rounds as they were a combination of bad picks, bad value or bad development.

So, after the 3rd round, what do you think was the worst pick Minnesota made? The best?

The worst for me was Julian Walker - Overage Swiss player is never a good sign. This was only offset that it was a 6th round pick but wow.

The best was Niko Hovinen - He didn't sign but he had potential and still does. Behemoth of a goaltender, he is finally coming into his own. A smart pick but we couldn't get him under contract.

GopherState 06-22-2012 12:47 AM

This has Eero Elo written all over it.

Dr Jan Itor 06-22-2012 12:48 AM

Best: Falk, and he has zero competition
Worst: kind of hard to say when hardly any of them turned out to be NHLers. They're mostly all bad.

thestonedkoala 06-22-2012 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor (Post 51227307)
Best: Falk, and he has zero competition
Worst: kind of hard to say when hardly any of them turned out to be NHLers. They're mostly all bad.

I forgot about Falk but I still don't know if he's an NHLer or just a plugger on the defense.

squidz* 06-22-2012 12:52 AM

Not sure if I'm following the intent of the thread exactly, but I would say the best was Darcy Kuemper. While a number of players could outpace him eventually (coughseelergraovaccough) he's established as at least an AHL level goaltender. Selected in the 6th round, he went on to win several CHL awards before making it to Houston, and will be a solid challenger for Hackett and any other goalies in our system.

Really don't know who to say was the worst pick because I have a hard time seeing anything as a bad pick after the 3rd round.

squidz* 06-22-2012 12:54 AM

For easy reference, here's a list of all Wild draft picks.

Kari Takko 06-22-2012 12:58 AM

Worst pick in Wild history is Matt Kassian. You don't pick an enforcer who can't play in the 2nd round.

Best pick in Wild history would have to be Mikko Koivu. Take a look at the rest of the 2001 first round... Koivu was a homerun.

Fel 96 06-22-2012 01:00 AM

James Sheppard in both categories. :sarcasm:

MK9 06-22-2012 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squidz (Post 51227499)
For easy reference, here's a list of all Wild draft picks.

Probably one of the most depressing things I've ever seen regarding this team. It's like an almost endless parade of useless bruised turds. My gods. You forget how truly, truly wretched this team has been at drafting. Then you see that. How embarrassing.

JSmith81x 06-22-2012 01:12 AM

2000 - #232 - Ľubomír Sekeráš
2006 - #72 - Cal Clutterbuck
2004 - #111 - Ryan Jones
2001 - #93 - Stéphane Veilleux

Generic User 06-22-2012 02:30 AM

Danny Irmen. For every category.

Minnesota 06-22-2012 02:35 AM

Man, we selected Harding 38th overall? I don't want to knock Josh, but that's really high for what he's become so far.

Circulartheory 06-22-2012 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnesota (Post 51229359)
Man, we selected Harding 38th overall? I don't want to knock Josh, but that's really high for what he's become so far.

You mean a 1B goalie that might be our starter in the 2013/14 season?

I'm fine with spending a 2nd rounder for that.

TaLoN 06-22-2012 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnesota (Post 51229359)

Even in hind sight that was a great pick!

AnimalMother 06-22-2012 06:26 AM

Worst/Best pick after the third round? Picky sh*ts aint'cha?

Finding a player after the third round is like finding a quarter in the street for me...rarely happens but when it does you're pleasantly surprised...

Circulartheory 06-22-2012 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnimalMother (Post 51231371)

Finding a player after the third round is like finding a quarter in the street for me...rarely happens but when it does you're pleasantly surprised...

^

I like.

MuckOG 06-22-2012 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnimalMother (Post 51231371)

Agreed...that's why I'll stick to 1st rounders since 2000.

Best: Gaborik, and it ain't close.
Worst: Thelen, and it ain't close.

Jarick 06-22-2012 07:50 AM

Worst: Gillies. Because the Wild traded a 1st AND 2nd to move up and get him, who even at the time nobody thought would be better than a third liner MAX. He does nothing for the team for years and then they lose him for nothing on waivers.

Best: Kuemper and Haula look like great picks, but I'll have to go Clutterbuck, as he's been the most effective later pick we've ever had.

nickschultzfan 06-22-2012 09:10 AM

OP games:

Best: Falk was the best non-1st-2nd-3rd round pick.

Worts: Eero Elo was the worst pick. Not because the kid didn't project well or sucked at hockey. He was a fine kid to waste a 5th on. However, the fact that DR's scouting department admitted they just guessed at that point was pretty freaky terrible. I think they didn't scout after 4 rounds that year.

Real Draft Game:
Best Pick: Burns. You get a #1 Dman out of a reach like that, and it's a good pick, even if it was luck.

Worst Pick: Thelen. Bust in every sense of the word.

Circulartheory 06-22-2012 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickschultzfan (Post 51235833)
OP games:

Best: Falk was the best non-1st-2nd-3rd round pick.

Worts: Eero Elo was the worst pick. Not because the kid didn't project well or sucked at hockey. He was a fine kid to waste a 5th on. However, the fact that DR's scouting department admitted they just guessed at that point was pretty freaky terrible. I think they didn't scout after 4 rounds that year.

Real Draft Game:
Best Pick: Burns. You get a #1 Dman out of a reach like that, and it's a good pick, even if it was luck.

Worst Pick: Thelen. Bust in every sense of the word.

Thats not what I remember. I remember reading that they saw him on scouting video whilst scouting goaltender Harri Sateri. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Engebretson 06-22-2012 09:39 AM

Best Pick (4-later): Falk, so far. I'd argue that Kuemper/Gustaffson/Haula could challenge that in a few years.

Worst Pick (4-later): A little bit harder, as you kind of expect late picks to bust, but I'd say Eero Elo if I had to name someone.

Best Pick: (1-3): Burns. It was hard to miss in 2003, but they ended up with a gem in Burns.

Worst Pick (1-3): Tie between Kyle Wanvig and Matt Kassian. I like Kassian, but he should've been picked around the 4th or 5th round, not the 2nd.

Jarick 06-22-2012 09:52 AM

I guess I haven't seen enough out of Falk to call him anything other than a fringe NHL'er.

The Koivu pick was pretty shrewd. A kid who had done nothing offensively his draft year and then became a #1 center five years later.

Dr Jan Itor 06-22-2012 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarick (Post 51237659)
I guess I haven't seen enough out of Falk to call him anything other than a fringe NHL'er.

The Koivu pick was pretty shrewd. A kid who had done nothing offensively his draft year and then became a #1 center five years later.

And yet, he can be considered the best after-3rd round pick in these drafts. That's how effing bad they were.

GopherState 06-22-2012 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danccchan (Post 51235985)
Thats not what I remember. I remember reading that they saw him on scouting video whilst scouting goaltender Harri Sateri. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Something like that. Also remember the NHL taking 15 picks to "find" an E. Elo name placard.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Generic User (Post 51229275)
Danny Irmen. For every category.

Even this one - best goal against the Badgers by a Gopher who was a Wild prospect (sorry Erik Haula - you had a good one too)

thestonedkoala 06-22-2012 10:13 AM

Thelen was not a bad pick. Just developed absolutely horrible by the regime.