HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Most wrong you've ever been about a player or team (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1213845)

PuckInTheNards 06-22-2012 02:36 PM

Most wrong you've ever been about a player or team

I'll start - I was visiting Phoenix this year earlier in the NHL season and caught a Kings-Coyotes game. I said to my wife, "Man, the Coyotes suck. They look like a team that was built to lose... and I don't think LA is any better! Thank God I'm a Wild fan."

Swear to God those were my exact words.

Honorable mentions:

Circa 2008: "James Sheppard is going to be fine. He's on the exact same development track that Koivu was on"

Circa 2004: "Doug Risebrough is excellent at the draft."

Thrillho 06-22-2012 02:38 PM

Me, a Leafs fan, at the beginning of last season:
"If Brayden Schenn is THAT good, I can only imagine how awesome Luke Schenn is! Playoffs, here we come!!"

jw2 06-22-2012 02:40 PM

"Carolina will not win the cup." - 4 days before trade deadline 2006

mpleafan 06-22-2012 02:43 PM

After Jeff Finger signed with Toronto- "hmm, i think this is a solid signing!"
... :D

BonMorrison 06-22-2012 02:44 PM

"Hahaha - Phoenix signed Mike Smith?"

VinnyC 06-22-2012 02:46 PM

"Coyotes' tandem is Smith/Labarbera? Enjoy Yakupov."

"Ehrhoff? Leino? Reghyr? Cup for the Sabres!"

Mr Irreverent 06-22-2012 02:47 PM

I was wrong about:

1) Dustin Brown being the appropriate choice for captain.
2) Dwight King ever being able to make it in the NHL.
3) Darryl Sutter being able to get any more offense from this years Kings team.
4) Jonathan Quick being able to win the big games.

Looks ridiculous now, but I'd say most Kings fans felt the same at some point this year.

UgotOSHIED 06-22-2012 02:55 PM

"The Blues acquired Brad Boyes? ***** yea!"

"The Blues aquired Eric Brewer? ***** yea!"

...and so it goes.

mikitas donut 06-22-2012 03:05 PM

"The Hawks power play can't be any worse than it was last year." - my thought beginning of season

Seventyx7 06-22-2012 03:07 PM

Kings fan that didn't want Jeff Carter. Being wrong feels so good.

BayStBullies 06-22-2012 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thrillho (Post 51259289)
Me, a Leafs fan, at the beginning of last season:
"If Brayden Schenn is THAT good, I can only imagine how awesome Luke Schenn is! Playoffs, here we come!!"

Huh?

DuckJet 06-22-2012 03:10 PM

Recently, I thought OEL would be no more than a second pairing puck rusher.

Brodeur 06-22-2012 03:13 PM

http://www.hockey-reference.com/boxs...912300LAK.html

I was home for Winter break during my freshman year of college in 1999. The Kings blitzed the Oilers 8-2 and Jere Karalahti looked like Al MacInnis in that game. Scored a pair of goals, logged 25 minutes. Didn't have a TV at school, so I hadn't seen many games up to that point and Karalahti had just come from Europe. But came away convinced that Karalahti was a star in the making.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...4786/index.htm

At the time, I didn't realize he had a heroin addiction before coming to the NHL. He'd end being traded by the Kings to Nashville, but he'd land into the NHL's susbtance abuse program. He'd instead return to Finland where he'd have some more drug issues.

SauceHockey 06-22-2012 03:22 PM

James Sheppard will be a good 2nd liner who will help solve our scoring issues

Top 6 Spaling 06-22-2012 03:24 PM

"Columbus got Wiz AND Carter? They'll be 5th seed or so for sure."

"Yotes will get a bottom 5 pick this year."

"Jon Blum will play on our 2nd pairing all year this year."

DuckJet 06-22-2012 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling (Post 51263217)
"Columbus got Wiz AND Carter? They'll be 5th seed or so for sure."

"Yotes will get a bottom 5 pick this year."

"Jon Blum will play on our 2nd pairing all year this year."

THIS OH MY GOD! I got flamed so bad back at the start of the year for saying Columbus wasn't going near the playoffs in one of the "Darkhorse teams" threads at the start of the year. Watching CBJ play all year I found the way things played out hilariously ironic.

UgotOSHIED 06-22-2012 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckJet (Post 51263389)
THIS OH MY GOD! I got flamed so bad back at the start of the year for saying Columbus wasn't going near the playoffs in one of the "Darkhorse teams" threads at the start of the year. Watching CBJ play all year I found the way things played out hilariously ironic.

You gotta feel bad for the fans though. I mean that GM...just...no words.

Benedict Kovalchuk 06-22-2012 03:29 PM

"Nabakov is washed-up and should be flipped for whatever scraps are available immediately. Montoya is our #1, people just don't know!" - Me, not knowing anything, sometime last September.

saillias 06-22-2012 03:32 PM

2003 Flames draft Tim Ramholt in second round ahead of Shea Weber. "Well, if Shea Weber is so good and he's from a Western Canadian team, Ramholt must be even BETTER for Sutter to pick him!" :laugh:

2004-2006 "Is Phaneuf as good as Crosby and Ovechkin?" :laugh:

MoreOrr 06-22-2012 03:32 PM

About any potential of LA winning the Cup this year.

At the beginning of the Playoffs, I'd have probably picked about 12 other teams over the Kings.

DuckJet 06-22-2012 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UgotOSHIED (Post 51263479)
You gotta feel bad for the fans though. I mean that GM...just...no words.

Oh it isn't funny at their expense. It's just funny that I was an idiot for thinking that Carter and Wiz wasn't enough. It wasn't just their fans.

I really do feel bad for them. Their fans deserve better. They've been very patient. That's why I always get irritated when Oilers fans justify winning the lottery and stealing CBJ's pick (being a good thing) by saying "we've put up with so much...we deserve this". The Oilers have how many cups and former legends? Columbus has basically nothing to be proud of so far.

Incognito 06-22-2012 03:34 PM

After the 2006-2007 season, I thought Kyle Wellwood was going to turn into a solid first line center.

Lust4LEAFS 06-22-2012 03:34 PM

I bet a guy with the exact same name as me that the loser of my bet i transcribed this year would have to legally take a "t" off our last name Elliott. This was right when Ottawa had a good push at beginning of season.

"Ottawa is absolute garbage this year, they will finish probably first or second last. I will bet ... that Toronto finishes higher in the standings then Ottawa."

WRONG

AvalancheFan19 06-22-2012 03:38 PM

Was almost 100% sure Ottawa would be one of the worst teams in the league this past year. Jeeze, I was wrong. Got yourself a very good young team.

Crede777 06-22-2012 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckJet (Post 51264219)
Oh it isn't funny at their expense. It's just funny that I was an idiot for thinking that Carter and Wiz wasn't enough. It wasn't just their fans.

I really do feel bad for them. Their fans deserve better. They've been very patient. That's why I always get irritated when Oilers fans justify winning the lottery and stealing CBJ's pick (being a good thing) by saying "we've put up with so much...we deserve this". The Oilers have how many cups and former legends? Columbus has basically nothing to be proud of so far.

You were right, although Wiz and Carter actually improved the team IMO (when they were healthy which wasn't often). Problem was that Columbus didn't address goaltending either.

Anyways, I didn't think the Blues were going to be successful this past season. I basically had them and Calgary flipped.

Oh, and that whole Florida Panthers making the playoffs thing was unforeseen by me.