HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Penguins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Prospect Info: Olli Maatta | Defenseman | London (OHL) | 1st round, 22nd overall (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1214269)

shureshot66 06-22-2012 08:56 PM

Olli Maatta | Defenseman | London (OHL) | 1st round, 22nd overall

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ZrvrlAjM5s...aaron+bell.jpg

OLLI MAATTA

2011-12 Team: London League: OHL
Position: Defence Height: 6'2
2011-12 Stats: 58 GP, 5 G, 32 PTS Weight: 202 lbs.

NHL Central Scouting: 8 NAS, International Scouting Services: No. 12, The Hockey News: No. 20, Button's Ranking: No. 28

"Olli plays the game with a workmanlike approach. He has a strong hockey IQ and reads the play and understands what the challenges are and what the appropriate responses should be. He anticipates the play so well and it allows him to get on top of opponents defensively despite not being blessed with closing quickness. He is a heads up player and is finely attuned to the game. He competes in 1-1 battles and doesn't give in at all. He's not punishing but he's physical and assertive. His passing is good and he gets the puck to the right areas and he does it quickly. There is no lingering in his play. Offensively he gained tremendous confidence in the latter part of the season and it became a significant weapon for him and his team. Jumping into the attack and being assertive was a testament to his becoming increasingly confident in his abilities and expanding his game. He is a player who can continue to develop and he shows the desire and determination to do exactly that."
—Craig Button

More to come...

SoupyFIN 06-22-2012 08:58 PM

Damn you guys. I wanted him bad. :(

Lucky Luke 06-22-2012 09:00 PM

For a 22nd pick overall, that is a pretty good pickup.

Flat Stanley 06-22-2012 09:00 PM

Best play available.

Smart, good pick by Shero.

Deku Scrub 06-22-2012 09:01 PM

What a steal. I can't believe so many teams passed up on him.

Personally I wanted Ottawa to take him. Congrats, Penguins. :)

King Forsberg 06-22-2012 09:01 PM

Can some Pittsburgh fans give me a run down of your defensive Depth chart including prospects? I know you guys have a long list.

Thanks

Tender Rip 06-22-2012 09:02 PM

Drafting Morrow's teammate..... drafting Harrington's teammate.

BPA - that our scouts have seen :D .

Anyway, welcome Maatta. By all accounts a fine player.

Pitt's Best #87 #66 06-22-2012 09:02 PM

Really like this pick. Guy really stepped it up in the playoffs.

td_ice 06-22-2012 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tender Rip (Post 51327255)
Drafting Morrow's teammate..... drafting Harrington's teammate.

BPA - that our scouts have seen :D .

Anyway, welcome Maatta. By all accounts a fine player.

Haha. They say familiarity breeds contempt, but hopefully it also breeds successful scouting.

Burgs 06-22-2012 09:05 PM

One of the youngest players in the draft (doesn't turn 18 till late August) who put up a point per game in the OHL playoffs? Yes please.

Nhlmockdraft.com profile on Olli Määttä

Strengths: Hockey IQ, Defensive Game, Puck-Moving, Mobility, Size, Distribution, Poise
Weaknesses/Concerns: Shooting, Creativity, Explosiveness, Physicality
Projection: Middle-Pairing Two-Way Defenseman (10g, 45p potential)

shureshot66 06-22-2012 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burgs (Post 51327923)
One of the youngest players in the draft (doesn't turn 18 till late August) who put up a point per game in the OHL playoffs? Yes please.

Strengths: Hockey IQ, Defensive Game, Puck-Moving, Mobility, Size, Distribution, Poise

Good stuff. Thanks again for the links, Burgs.

Big McLargehuge 06-22-2012 09:12 PM

Is it weird to say he instantly becomes my favorite Penguins prospect since Crosby?

The Finnish factor may weigh into that.

Flat Stanley 06-22-2012 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingForsberg (Post 51327185)
Can some Pittsburgh fans give me a run down of your defensive Depth chart including prospects? I know you guys have a long list.

Thanks

Brooks Orpik
Kris Letang
Paul Martin
Zbynek Michalek
Matt Niskanen
Deryk Engelland
Ben Lovejoy
Simon Despres
Brian Strait
Robert Bortuzzo
Joe Morrow
Carl Sneep
Alex Grant
Philip Samuelsson
Olli Maata
Derrick Pouliot
Reid McNeil
Scott Harrington

That should pretty much cover it. :laugh:

King Forsberg 06-22-2012 09:16 PM

A little jealous.

SEALBound 06-22-2012 09:16 PM

Quote:

Thanks

Current roster:

Letang
Orpik
Martin
Michalek
Niskanen (RFA)
Engelland
Lovejoy (likely gone)

Skimming Surface:

Bortuzzo
Strait
Sneep
Grant (meh)

High quality prospects:

Despres
Morrow
Harrington
Pouliet
Maata
Dumoulin

Rowdy Roddy Peeper 06-22-2012 09:18 PM

Quote:

Thanks

Orpik-Letang
Martin-Michalek
Niskanen-Engelland
Lovejoy
Despres
Strait
Bortuzzo

That was the NHL depth chart last year. You want the prospects ranked in terms of NHL-readiness, upside, or what?

66-29-33 06-22-2012 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingForsberg (Post 51330797)
A little jealous.

We are jealous of your winger depth. It's even.:laugh:

Jacob 06-22-2012 09:48 PM

Maatta to me is almost identical to Despres at the same age. Perhaps a bit more polished defensively, but not as physically developed. He can do a little of everything, except quarterback a power play. And that might come with time.

Shero and his scouts like those d-men that aren't particularly flashy but have character, smarts and do the little things to win games. Add Maatta to that pile. And London is a hell of a program, if Maatta has any holes in his game keeping him from having NHL success, he won't in 2 years time.

SidGenoMario 06-22-2012 09:59 PM

Did he play at the WJC? I feel like I was impressed by him, but I don't remember. :)

#66 06-22-2012 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burgs (Post 51327923)

Thats a solid run down. His smarts really stand out and he has good passing skills. People give him a soft label but he's not soft at all. IMO the best way to put it is that he's not agressive. He'll block shots, doesn't get manhandles along the boards and ties up players well.

Player comparison upside: Kenny Jonsson

vsk92 06-22-2012 10:01 PM

I take it that he goes back back to the Knights for next season??

maxpenguins6630 06-22-2012 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacob (Post 51337267)
Maatta to me is almost identical to Despres at the same age. Perhaps a bit more polished defensively, but not as physically developed. He can do a little of everything, except quarterback a power play. And that might come with time.

Shero and his scouts like those d-men that aren't particularly flashy but have character, smarts and do the little things to win games. Add Maatta to that pile. And London is a hell of a program, if Maatta has any holes in his game keeping him from having NHL success, he won't in 2 years time.

At memorial cup, Maatta was QB of the Knights PP....

Jacob 06-22-2012 10:06 PM

Yeah, and their breakout was horrible. What's your point?

Burgs 06-22-2012 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SidGenoMario (Post 51339033)
Did he play at the WJC? I feel like I was impressed by him, but I don't remember. :)

He suffered a concussion from a Canadian hit in the first game, and missed the rest of the WJC.

Fun fact: Määttä was the 1st overall pick in the 2011 CHL Import Draft. London previously acquired that pick from Barrie for another Pens D prospect, Reid McNeill (and some picks).

ManByng 06-22-2012 10:13 PM

wow! now the Pens can add d-men prospects Pouliot, Maata and Dumoulin to Morrow and Despres...that's some major defensive talent!!