HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Penguins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Prospect Info: Matia Marcantuoni | Center | Kitchener | 4th round, 92nd overall (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1214743)

Shrimper 06-23-2012 11:00 AM

Matia Marcantuoni | Center | Kitchener | 4th round, 92nd overall

Quote:

Originally Posted by thehockeywriters
Matia Marcantuoni is one the top forward prospects available in the 2012 NHL Draft. His balance and power are major strengths of his game, and he uses them to go all out on every shift. Marcantuoni is viewed as a legitimate top ten pick, and it wouldn’t be outrageous to say that he could even be selected in the top five. When Matia was chosen by the Kitchener Rangers in the 2010 OHL Priority Selection, the team was ecstatic to get him because they knew they would be getting a tremendous player.

Quote:

2009-2010 ST. MICHAELS OJHL 2 2 0 2 2
2010-2011 KITCHENER OHL 42 11 16 27 26
2011-2012 KITCHENER OHL 24 9 5 14 10

Any reports welcome.

MurphyDump 06-23-2012 11:03 AM

Love it! I've heard about this kid from a friend of mine that scouts for the OHL.

http://thehockeywriters.com/matia-ma...olt-of-hockey/

...and no he's not Koltsov or Fata v2.

BeefWellington 06-23-2012 11:03 AM

What a pick!! I love it!

wej20 06-23-2012 11:04 AM

Superstar Shane 06-23-2012 11:10 AM

Craig Button's writeup in TSN's June draft rankings:
Quote:

Matia had a start to his year that set him back and didn't allow him to adequately show what he's capable of. It began with a concussion and then a shoulder injury ended his season and he was never able to get his feet underneath him. He is an excellent skater with speed and quickness and he can close on the fore-check quickly or create open ice and separation for himself. He is a competitor and he gets involved physically and he engages fully in the competitive battles. With his skating he can make a big difference in the game and while he has utilized it mostly for offense to this point, it certainly can be a weapon to play defense and disrupt an opponent's offensive thrust. He has a good shot and he will follow it to the net and pay the price to score. He is more of a player who receives the puck than delivering it and with the right compliment of line mates, his skills could be maximized. He has a very good skill set and being able to stay healthy should help him realize his potential.
http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=9830

Dylonus 06-23-2012 11:14 AM

WHO THE HELL IS THIS KID?! :amazed:

He looks amazing!

Matt Damon 06-23-2012 11:30 AM

Just wanted to add that I saw him play live at the U-18 Gold medal game when he was with Team Ontario. The kid REALLY stood out and seemed to have a ton of high end skill. Didn't even realize he was eligible this year because I thought he was a sure fire first round pick. This has to be a steal.

Ziggyjoe21 06-23-2012 11:55 AM

Why did he fall so much?

wej20 06-23-2012 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziggyjoe21 (Post 51381235)
Why did he fall so much?

Injuries.

Sidney the Kidney 06-23-2012 12:22 PM

This could be a steal. At the beginning of the season, he was being talked about as a 1st round pick. Injuries and struggling to find his groove because of those injuries knocked him down the rankings.

Captain Hook 06-23-2012 12:55 PM

The speed of this kid just jumps off the screen when you watch the clips. Just insanely fast. Hope there's more to him though since players with only that attribute have long gotten exposed in the NHL.

Darth Vitale 06-23-2012 12:56 PM

Amazing to me he fell out of the 2nd AND 3rd round, given that the supposed experts are saying he'd have been a Top 15 type pick if he hadn't been hurt / missed some time. I could see falling out of the 1st because of injuries but there seems to be a lot to like about this kid. Also no character issues that people are talking about. Did he have more than 1 concussion maybe in the last couple years? I wonder if just the word concussion sends a bunch of teams in the other direction now / everyone is totally paranoid about it, when for many players it might be the only one they get over a long period of time.

Ragamuffin Gunner 06-23-2012 03:52 PM

love the pick

jmelm 06-23-2012 04:01 PM

Looks really similar to what Tyler Kennedy brings to this team (or prospect-wise, similar to Josh Archibald). That's a very good player for us and at that point in the draft.

71 06-23-2012 04:07 PM

My new favorite prospect for the Pens.

Brock 06-23-2012 04:17 PM

I had Marcantuoni ranked 26th among OHL players for the draft. Here's what I wrote.

Ranking Marcantuoni was incredibly difficult for me. The injuries, combined with his disappointing play, gave me fits when trying to slot him into my top 50. It's essentially going strictly off potential. He has loads of skill. He's got great speed, a great shot and can drive to the net very effectively. When he's at his best, he's also aggressive physically and plays an in your face kind of style. But there are several things that scare the crap out of me about drafting him. The first is the injuries. A high ankle sprain cost him a significant chunk of time last year. This year it's been concussions and a wonky shoulder (that required season ending surgery). This leads me to "thing" number two. After being so injury prone, you have to wonder if he can sustain a physical playing style, which unfortunately for him, makes him most effective. When he came back from injury at one point this year, he looked really tentative out there and was forced to play a perimeter game. Lastly, as of right now his game seems to be built off being able to use his speed to make things happen. With so little development time this season, it was hard to see him progress in that area and I think that some of the hockey sense concerns people have brought up may be legitimate. So many question marks. So much potential. All it takes is one team to believe in what he brings to the table (which I guess was you guys).

steelcityassault 06-23-2012 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmelm (Post 51402481)
Looks really similar to what Tyler Kennedy brings to this team (or prospect-wise, similar to Josh Archibald). That's a very good player for us and at that point in the draft.

Marcantuoni is a LOT more skilled, with more potential than TK ever had

Shrimper 06-23-2012 04:33 PM

How fast is he really? I mean, does anyone have any stats?

theicebox 06-23-2012 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shrimper (Post 51404323)
How fast is he really? I mean, does anyone have any stats?

Like the guy from the Mighty Ducks movies.

Darth Vitale 06-23-2012 05:00 PM

Koltsov fast but without the brick hands?

MrBurgundy 06-23-2012 05:04 PM

I'm hungry for some EasyMac...

SidGenoMario 06-23-2012 05:59 PM

Has anyone in this organization NOT recently suffered a concussion?

Darth Vitale 06-23-2012 06:52 PM

No ****, right? That's at least two prospects I saw that had that problem. I think Maatta was the other one; they had video clips of it but he came back and played very strong.

Also I would like to point out if it hasn't been done already, this player's nickname is decided:

Macaroni AIAEC

http://img4-2.myrecipes.timeinc.net/...-1585215-l.jpg

(Just noticed Ron Burgundy's post and I think now I see what he did there.)

JTG 06-23-2012 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale (Post 51415317)
No ****, right? That's at least two prospects I saw that had that problem. I think Maatta was the other one; they had video clips of it but he came back and played very strong.

Also I would like to point out if it hasn't been done already, this player's nickname is decided:

Macaroni AIAEC

http://img4-2.myrecipes.timeinc.net/...-1585215-l.jpg

(Just noticed Ron Burgundy's post and I think now I see what he did there.)

Not nearly as good as Gomer

wej20 06-23-2012 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 51403483)
I had Marcantuoni ranked 26th among OHL players for the draft. Here's what I wrote.

Ranking Marcantuoni was incredibly difficult for me. The injuries, combined with his disappointing play, gave me fits when trying to slot him into my top 50. It's essentially going strictly off potential. He has loads of skill. He's got great speed, a great shot and can drive to the net very effectively. When he's at his best, he's also aggressive physically and plays an in your face kind of style. But there are several things that scare the crap out of me about drafting him. The first is the injuries. A high ankle sprain cost him a significant chunk of time last year. This year it's been concussions and a wonky shoulder (that required season ending surgery). This leads me to "thing" number two. After being so injury prone, you have to wonder if he can sustain a physical playing style, which unfortunately for him, makes him most effective. When he came back from injury at one point this year, he looked really tentative out there and was forced to play a perimeter game. Lastly, as of right now his game seems to be built off being able to use his speed to make things happen. With so little development time this season, it was hard to see him progress in that area and I think that some of the hockey sense concerns people have brought up may be legitimate. So many question marks. So much potential. All it takes is one team to believe in what he brings to the table (which I guess was you guys).

Thanks Brock, he's had the same injuries as Crosby (Concussion, High Ankle Sprain) and Malkin (Shoulder problem) :laugh:.