HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Prospect Info: Round V, Pick #142: Thomas Spelling (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1214879)

NYR Sting 06-23-2012 10:52 AM

Round V, Pick #142: Thomas Spelling
 
POSITION: Forward
SHOOTS: Right
HEIGHT: 6'1"
WEIGHT: 176
BORN: 02/09/93
BORN IN: Denmark

Will play for Rögle in the Swedish Elite League in 2012-13.

Mats Zuccarelli 06-23-2012 10:53 AM

Jim Cerny ‏@JimCerny
Thomas Spelling scored 21 goals and recorded 37 points in 33 games last season...

And he's from the same city as Frans Nielsen

ECL 06-23-2012 10:56 AM

Interesting. I know nothing about him whatsoever

GAGLine 06-23-2012 10:56 AM

2nd time eligible? Rangers love to take those type of players in the later rounds.

Cawlidge Hawkey 06-23-2012 10:56 AM

Is their homerun forward?

NYR Sting 06-23-2012 10:56 AM

I know nothing, but I like Denmark. It's the new Sweden.

Barbara Underhill 06-23-2012 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan. (Post 51381357)
Interesting. I know nothing about him whatsoever

37pts in 33 games last year, for Herning in the same home town as Frans Neilsen!

:sarcasm:

broadwayblue 06-23-2012 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill (Post 51381505)
37pts in 33 games last year, for Herning in the same home town as Frans Neilsen!

:sarcasm:

In what league?

MorrisWanchuk 06-23-2012 10:57 AM

Who scouts Denmark for us?

They must have been high on him to trade a future pick.

Mats Zuccarelli 06-23-2012 10:58 AM

Andrew Gross ‏@AGrossRecord
Thomas Spelling, 6-1, 176 pounds, had 21 goals, 16 assists in 33 games for Herning in Denmark. Also 1 G, 3 A, minus-11 in 6 World Jr Games

FINAL RANK: 90 MIDTERM RANK: 91

BBKers 06-23-2012 10:59 AM

Here is a small write up, up there with some interesting names. Playing for Rögle in SEL this year...

ocarina 06-23-2012 11:02 AM

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...homas+spelling

bernmeister 06-23-2012 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBKers (Post 51381839)
Here is a small write up, up there with some interesting names. Playing for Rögle in SEL this year...

very good, BBKers.
see he was projected to go higher

hfboardsuser 06-23-2012 11:12 AM

I think I may be one of the only NA reporters to have spoken with Spelling (via translator), so I've got more information than most.

-Spelling was the 2010-11 AL-Bank Ligaen Rookie of the Year in Denmark's top league and became a star there this season.

-Big, strong kid who has really improved his skating since being eligible last year. He's still not and likely never will be a burner, but he's added enough punch to keep up with the play and has a variety of gear changes available to throw off opponents.

-Confident, crafty stickhandler for a big man. Uses his size and shoulders to his advantage in protecting the puck.

-Natural goal-scorer. Heavy shot and loves to drive wide and then cut back inside to hand-cuff with the goalie with it.

-Burgeoning playmaking game. Solid vision and as his skating has improved, he's been able to make more advanced plays in the offensive zone.

Only a couple of teams had talked to Spelling by January- the Predators being one I know for sure- and he wasn't at all confident about being drafted. His is a long-term plan, as is obvious from the route he intends to take. Timra was the Elitserien team he originally wanted to play (due to Peter Regin) but for whatever reason that didn't pan out. 2-3 years and you could have a great complementary player on your hands.

broadwayblue 06-23-2012 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Bugg (Post 51383893)
I think I may be one of the only NA reporters to have spoken with Spelling (via translator), so I've got more information than most.

-Spelling was the 2010-11 AL-Bank Ligaen Rookie of the Year in Denmark's top league and became a star there this season.

-Big, strong kid who has really improved his skating since being eligible last year. He's still not and likely never will be a burner, but he's added enough punch to keep up with the play and has a variety of gear changes available to throw off opponents.

-Confident, crafty stickhandler for a big man. Uses his size and shoulders to his advantage in protecting the puck.

-Natural goal-scorer. Heavy shot and loves to drive wide and then cut back inside to hand-cuff with the goalie with it.

-Burgeoning playmaking game. Solid vision and as his skating has improved, he's been able to make more advanced plays in the offensive zone.

Only a couple of teams had talked to Spelling by January- the Predators being one I know for sure- and he wasn't at all confident about being drafted. His is a long-term plan, as is obvious from the route he intends to take. Timra was the Elitserien team he originally wanted to play (due to Peter Regin) but for whatever reason that didn't pan out. 2-3 years and you could have a great complementary player on your hands.

Thanks for the info. Not much risk here. I mean we burned a 5th on John Scott. Sounds like Spelling has a good bit more upside.

Jacques Strap 06-23-2012 11:22 AM

Anders Hedberg special.


http://forums.internationalhockey.ne...ospects/page22

3/4 of the way down the page.


It will be a surprise to me if Spelling is not on the NT in ALL tournaments next season. He has so many assets the NT are in need of:

Goal scoring touch
A right shot
Good wrister
Speedy skates
Creativity on the powerplay
AND ONCE MORE... A RIGHT SHOT


To me, he is - besides Nicklas Jensen - the most interesting prospect to come out of the Danish league in the last 5-7 years. Well, since Peter Regin and Jannik Hansen. He has all the tools to become one of the best Danish players and whichever NHL team drafts him (if) have found a diamond in the rough.

When that is said, there is plenty of room for improvent:
Bulking up - fill out the frame. I'd say that Spelling's ideal "hockey weight" would be around 85-88 kg. But that is not something he should set for within 1 or 2 years. Focusing on building on muscles instead of adding more fat than actual muscle mass.
Improving the defensive aspect of his game
Bettering his strengths: Shot, skating etc.
Adjust to the tempo and speed of international hockey.


Frans Nielsen apparently likes him quite much.

ECL 06-23-2012 11:41 AM

I wonder I'd we get him into to CHL this year

Valdemar 06-23-2012 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan. (Post 51387815)
I wonder I'd we get him into to CHL this year

Pardon me for saying this but why do you want him to go to CHL, when he has a contract with a team in SEL (a league the strength of AHL)?
I am pretty sure he will develop better playing in Sweden for a couple of years before going to NA.

Jacques Strap 06-23-2012 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YesSir (Post 51389911)
Pardon me for saying this but why do you want him to go to CHL, when he has a contract with a team in SEL (a league the strength of AHL)?
I am pretty sure he will develop better playing in Sweden for a couple of years before going to NA.


I'm guessing you have seen Spelling play, so how is the description of Spelling in the Danish prospects forum below? Is it accurate? Thanks.




It will be a surprise to me if Spelling is not on the NT in ALL tournaments next season. He has so many assets the NT are in need of:

Goal scoring touch
A right shot
Good wrister
Speedy skates
Creativity on the powerplay
AND ONCE MORE... A RIGHT SHOT


To me, he is - besides Nicklas Jensen - the most interesting prospect to come out of the Danish league in the last 5-7 years. Well, since Peter Regin and Jannik Hansen. He has all the tools to become one of the best Danish players and whichever NHL team drafts him (if) have found a diamond in the rough.

When that is said, there is plenty of room for improvent:
Bulking up - fill out the frame. I'd say that Spelling's ideal "hockey weight" would be around 85-88 kg. But that is not something he should set for within 1 or 2 years. Focusing on building on muscles instead of adding more fat than actual muscle mass.
Improving the defensive aspect of his game
Bettering his strengths: Shot, skating etc.
Adjust to the tempo and speed of international hockey.


Frans Nielsen apparently likes him quite much.

DanishRangersFan 06-23-2012 12:47 PM

There is an interview with him here http://tv2sport.dk/spelling-jeg-er-bare-glad which is from a danish tv-station. I´ll translate it for you :

- I´m so happy. I got several calls and texts while I was out, and it was a great feeling.

Spelling and his agent had spoken to several NHL-teams before the draft, but he didn´t expect that he would get drafted.

- I didnt expect it, Spelling said. Rangers was one of the clubs I had spoken to, but not the one that had showed the most interest, and I didnt think they were the ones that would draft me.

That Spelling is now drafted doesn´t mean that he wont join Rögle in Sweden.

- I dont think I will go to NA for atleast two years. I had spoken to the Rangers before the draft about attending their summer camp, but dont know if I´ll be able to make it there.

- The most important thing for me right now is attending all the preparations in Rögle to be ready for the new season and hopefully make their best team.

Thats about it. I hope you find it usefull :)

ImGoingNucks 06-23-2012 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacques Strap (Post 51393323)
I'm guessing you have seen Spelling play, so how is the description of Spelling in the Danish prospects forum below? Is it accurate? Thanks

It's pretty accurate.. The guys on that forum especially the danish part are all very much into Danish youth hockey, some even work with or for the clubs and some are coaches.

Spelling is a great player, and this comes from a guy who does NOT support the team he comes from! He had 20 points in the PO and scored allot of important goals.

Many were quite surprised he wasnt drafted last year. Im not gonna promise you guys that you have a certain NHL player here.. But the potential is definitely there. He is being trusted with SEL minutes next Season, which shows great maturity.

He played on a baby line in Herning with Oliver Björkstrand - Thomas Spelling - Patrick Björkstrand. A line that did tremendously well.

Oliver is draft eligable next year.. Watch out for him..

Jacques Strap 06-23-2012 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VikingNuck (Post 51394937)
It's pretty accurate.. The guys on that forum especially the danish part are all very much into Danish youth hockey, some even work with or for the clubs and some are coaches.

Spelling is a great player, and this comes from a guy who does NOT support the team he comes from! He had 20 points in the PO and scored allot of important goals.

Many were quite surprised he wasnt drafted last year. Im not gonna promise you guys that you have a certain NHL player here.. But the potential is definitely there. He is being trusted with SEL minutes next Season, which shows great maturity.

He played on a baby line in Herning with Oliver Björkstrand - Thomas Spelling - Patrick Björkstrand. A line that did tremendously well.

Oliver is draft eligable next year.. Watch out for him..


Thanks very much for the info.

silverfish 06-23-2012 01:17 PM

It's an interesting pick for sure, falls in line with what the Rangers have liked to do in the later rounds recently.

I think his production in the SEL this coming season will be a much bigger tell on what kind of player we have on our hands here.

Ilovemymum 06-23-2012 02:32 PM

Off goes the Norwegains, welcome to the Danes:)
PS! Don't send you political corresponants to the press conferences. For Tort's sake.

ECL 06-23-2012 03:03 PM

WOW @ Nick Ebert going LAST overall. Formerly looked at as a top 3 OVERALL pick two years ago. Talk about not developing. I called him going in the 5th or so round and was laughed at by some of the idiots on the main board. Last overall. Unreal.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:00 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.