HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Winnipeg Jets (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Confirmed with Link: Jets select Jamie Phillips (190th overall) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1214943)

Hammer Slammer 06-23-2012 11:29 AM

Jets select Jamie Phillips (190th overall)

Winnipeg Jets ‏@NHLJets
With their seventh round pick (190th overall) the Winnipeg Jets select goaltender Jamie Phllips from Toronto Jr Canadiens of the OJHL.

Another goalie, interesting.

edit - fixed his name, looks like the Jets misspelled haha

Scheifele55 06-23-2012 11:30 AM

Jamie Phillips
North American Goalie - Toronto Jc, OJHL
Final Rank: 26 Midterm Rank:
Position: Goalie Catches: Left
Height: 6' 1" Weight: 170
Born: March 24, 1993
Born in: -
Drafted: WPG (7th Round / 190th Overall)

STATISTICS
SEASON TEAM LEAGUE GP GAA Min SO Sv%
2010-2011 PEMBROKE CCHL 33 2.13 1856 6 0.913
2011-2012 TORONTO JC OJHL 11 3.11 636 1 0.917

WJG 06-23-2012 11:30 AM

Two goalies yet not taking Makarov, Whitney or Houser?

Scheifele55 06-23-2012 11:31 AM

We took him ahead of Brandon Whitney who was ranked 2nd.

Gump Hasek 06-23-2012 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burmistrov08 (Post 51386523)

It doesn't matter where Central Scouting or any of the private services rank him, it matters where the Jets rank him. Obviously they passed on Whitney twice for a reason; they had others ranked above him on their own list.

King Woodballs 06-23-2012 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gump Hasek (Post 51386843)
It doesn't matter where Central Scouting or any of the private services rank him, it matters where the Jets rank him. Obviously they passed on Whitney twice for a reason; they had others ranked above him on their own list.

^this

Becel 06-23-2012 11:39 AM

RBC Champion last year with Pembroke. Traded to Powell River and was tearing it up, but they were committed to playing Sean Maguire (4th round Pittsburgh). Scholarship to Michigan Tech. Traded to Toronto JC at deadline.

Hank Chinaski 06-23-2012 11:41 AM

As I said in the main draft thread, looks like the Jets are fond of the NCAA development route for goalies.

It does make sense, it keeps them in a developmental situation where they're not having to burn years off their ELC. Look at a guy like Carozzi, he would now be entering his junior or senior year at an NCAA program, now he's basically going to have to crack the St. J's roster to have any chance of sticking around beyond his ELC. That's really unfortunate, given that goalies have a much more gradual development curve than players. Carozzi will probably amount to nothing, but he could also be one of those late bloomers.

I think this amounts to very smart development and asset management from the Jets.

Rheged 06-23-2012 11:56 AM

Yeah, I'm definitely for drafting NCAA bound goalies.

Sweech 06-23-2012 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski (Post 51387777)
As I said in the main draft thread, looks like the Jets are fond of the NCAA development route for goalies.

It does make sense, it keeps them in a developmental situation where they're not having to burn years off their ELC. Look at a guy like Carozzi, he would now be entering his junior or senior year at an NCAA program, now he's basically going to have to crack the St. J's roster to have any chance of sticking around beyond his ELC. That's really unfortunate, given that goalies have a much more gradual development curve than players. Carozzi will probably amount to nothing, but he could also be one of those late bloomers.

I think this amounts to very smart development and asset management from the Jets.

Agreed.

Especially since the Jets goaltender situation is looking decent right now with Pavs in the big club and Pasquale down in the A, both very young tenders, so there's very little urgency to add another competitor for those spots.

Except the trade for the monster, which I think was more of a negotiation tactic than anything.

Aerial 06-23-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burmistrov08 (Post 51386523)

In addition to the very correct things others said, statistically goalies are a huge crapshoot in any round. So I wouldn't worry about what some other scouts said too much. The Jets saw something they liked in these kids, I know zilch about them and we'll see how they develop. If it doesn't pan out, not a lot lost.

MNhockey19 06-30-2012 06:19 PM

You guys think he will get the starting job as a freshman at mtu? I'm pretty sure the starter from last year graduated. Looking at the roster there will be a senior goalie this year but he doesnt have great stats... thoughts>?

tbcwpg 06-30-2012 07:28 PM

I think that might be why they picked him; he'll have a starting job at the NCAA level, it's developing goalies for free, basically, as they aren't in the minor system (AHL) and not on contract