HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Jordan Staal or Alex Galchenyuk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1215059)

Bryson 06-23-2012 12:28 PM

Jordan Staal or Alex Galchenyuk

For the first time on L'antichambre Gaston said something that made me think. He said that we could have traded for J. Staal which would have fixed this teams center position for the next 10 years!!

Basically he said that our first is higher than carolina's.
Lars Eller = Brandon Sutter
Yannick Weber = Brian Dumoulin except that Weber actually has NHL experience so we should have won this deal no problem. What do you guys think? Who would you choose?

Also, Galchenyuk and Teuvo Teravainen where 1st and 2nd on Trevor Timmins' list. I wonder where Yakupov ranked on his list?

hototogisu 06-23-2012 12:30 PM

So what you're saying is that it's not actually "Staal or Galchenyuk" it's "Staal minus Eller and Weber or Galchenyuk". Right?

BobbyFischer* 06-23-2012 12:31 PM

Hellllll noooooooo

Galchenyuk > J. Staal

And then you wanna throw in Eller, and Weber?

Freaky Habs Fan 06-23-2012 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryson (Post 51392441)
For the first time on L'antichambre Gaston said something that made me think. He said that we could have traded for J. Staal which would have fixed this teams center position for the next 10 years!!

Yannick Weber = Brian Dumoulin except that Weber actually has NHL experience so we should have won this deal no problem. What do you guys think? Who would you choose?

Also, Galchenyuk and Teuvo Teravainen where 1st and 2nd on Trevor Timmins' list. I wonder where Yakupov ranked on his list?

What Gaston haven't said is that Staal is one year away from being a UFA and words is that he wanted to play with his brother. We wouldn't have had any guarantee of him signing an extension with us. We couldn't managed to take that chance. The price was to high.

There's also no guaranty the Pens would have taken our package over Carolina's one. Sutter is a better player than Eller and he also fits better on the Pens line-up.

Bryson 06-23-2012 12:32 PM

Of course. What Gaston is saying is that we had a better offer than carolina if we were to go after Staal.

No Team Needed 06-23-2012 12:33 PM

Staal might fix the center position for 10 years, but Galchenyuk might fix the center position for 20.

Born in 1909 06-23-2012 12:34 PM

Who says Stall would sign LongT with Montreal anyway?

Bobby G 06-23-2012 12:34 PM

Quote:

Is this fact?

Stradale 06-23-2012 12:34 PM

What tells u, and that moron on Rds, that Staal will sign a 10 years contract with us?

Erik Estrada 06-23-2012 12:34 PM

That wasn't the choice.

It was the number 1 guy on our list (Galchenyuk) + + for Jordan Staal (with an unkown contractual status going forward)

TheBuriedHab 06-23-2012 12:35 PM

For Staal to bolt one year later to Carolina. Great idea.

BLONG7 06-23-2012 12:35 PM

He was going to go to the Canes as a UFA....no way you trade for Staal for only getting 1 yr....

NewHabsEra* 06-23-2012 12:36 PM

Quote:

What we need is a real first line center, what J.Stall isnt and what Galchenyuk has the potential to be..

J.Stall is a very good second line center at best, what we already have in Plekanec!

ChoseLa 06-23-2012 12:36 PM

Galchenyuk came for free, J. Stall might never be a reliable #1 center (nor Galchenyuk) and the price was pretty high : a young promising d-men, 8th overall pick, and a young established 2 ways center that could en up being as good as Jordan. There is no way i wanted the Habs to do that.

Bad Natey 06-23-2012 12:38 PM

If Staal signed a long term contract before the trade, I think long and hard. But as it stands, not a chance. Carolina can take that chance because if Eric. MTL has nothing to assume he wouldn't leave after the season to become a UFA.

I would have also wanted their 1st rounder back since our package would have been better - and I doubt Pittsburgh would have liked that.

Habaneros 06-23-2012 12:38 PM

Quote:

Can someone email Gaston and explain Staal wouldn't sign a 10 yr deal in Pittsburgh , then why would he sign 10 years in MONTREAL?

He would have been in Montreal 1 year , then left town!

Montreal would have gave up a 3rd overall and a bunch more for 82 games of Staal?

Gaston , time to wake up !

Kriss E 06-23-2012 12:41 PM

Quote:

The reason Staal refused to sign the extension in Pittsburgh was because he apparently wanted to play with one of his brothers. That means he had one more year left and then was likely to sign either in Carolina or NY.
That's why Pittsburgh moved him to Carolina. So he would have solved our center issue for one season, not 10. After that he'd likely go join one of his bro.

And I'll take Galchenyuk+Eller+Weber over Staal.

KawaYui 06-23-2012 12:43 PM

15 for Gally
none for Staal
:laugh:

LaurentHabs 06-23-2012 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by No Team Needed (Post 51392803)
Staal might fix the center position for 10 years, but Galchenyuk might fix the center position for 20.

Well said.

BrimStone64 06-23-2012 12:44 PM

Galchenyuk to me....he is younger, cheaper and first line center. Staal is more 2nd line center, maybe borderline 1st line center

Erik Estrada 06-23-2012 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kriss E (Post 51393325)
The reason Staal refused to sign the extension in Pittsburgh was because he apparently wanted to play with one of his brothers. That means he had one more year left and then was likely to sign either in Carolina or NY.
That's why Pittsburgh moved him to Carolina.

And I'll take Galchenyuk+Eller+Weber over Staal.

Well maybe Bergevin could have traded for Mark Staal beforehand. Mark's not as expensive as Eric... That Galchenyuk+Eller+Weber for Jordan S. doesn't seem so stupid anymore buddy.

King Niinimaa* 06-23-2012 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyG (Post 51392821)
Is this fact?

Hopefully not. Had Blue Jackets taken Gally, we'd be stuck with a major bust Teräväinen. I've seen the kid playing and right now it seems he won't make it in NHL.

Et le But 06-23-2012 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King Niinimaa (Post 51394075)
Hopefully not. Had Blue Jackets taken Gally, we'd be stuck with a major bust Teräväinen. I've seen the kid playing and right now it seems he won't make it in NHL.

So is every one of your posts going to be about how horrible Europeans are?

King Niinimaa* 06-23-2012 12:59 PM

Of course not. I think most of the young swedes are absolutely great. It's just that people tend to overrate FEL and SEL.

vokiel 06-23-2012 01:00 PM

Jordan Staal: 1 :biglaugh:

Give it a rest or you'll need some medication to keep that erection up :p: