HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Columbus Blue Jackets (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Grading the Blue Jackets at the 2012 Draft (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1215109)

Sore Loser 06-23-2012 12:58 PM

Grading the Blue Jackets at the 2012 Draft

In your opinion, how did the Jackets do at the draft, overall?

Trading picks #45 and #117, plus a 2013 fourth round pick for G Sergei Bobrovsky

1st round, 2nd overall: D Ryan Murray, 6'1", 200lbs, Everett Silvertips (WHL)
2nd round, 31st overall: G Oskar Dansk, 6'2", 187lbs Brynas Jr (Sweden Junior)
3rd round, 62nd overall: G Joonas Korpisalo, 6'2", 172lbs Jokerit Jr (Finland Junior)
4th round, 95th overall: RW Josh Anderson, 6'2", 189, London Knights (OHL)
6th round, 152nd overall, RW Daniel Zaar, 5'11", 167lbs, Rogle Jr (Sweden Junior)
7th round, 182nd overall, D Gianluca Curcuruto, 6'0", 195lbs, Sault St. Marie Greyhounds (OHL)

I'll be updating some scouting reports on all of these players over on the prospects thread over the course of the next couple of days, as I compile them from my colleagues across the pond.

If you would like to elaborate on your vote (maybe adding an A+ or B-), go for it ... I didn't feel it necessary to have 15 poll options.

Samkow 06-23-2012 01:01 PM

Taking out the lack of a Nash trade, which I had really hoped to see done this weekend:

B.

There's just not a ton to hate. Certainly not as exciting as it could have been, but that's not a bad thing.

EspenK 06-23-2012 01:02 PM

gave it a B because it provides no apparent chance of offense in the near future. Adding 3 goalies is a big plus. One of the three has to pan out right? I think if it had been Galy over Murray I would have given an A. Probably a solid B or maybe a B+ as it played out.

Hipster Letestu 06-23-2012 01:05 PM

I gave them a C. I liked the Murray pick well enough and Dansk was a pick we needed to make, but I'm not sure that was the best place to take him. The Korpisalo and Anderson picks seem unnecessary, why another goaltender with the pick after Dansk? Their last two picks seemed ok, hard to tell with late picks but it does seem like they got some value there.

Mayor Bee 06-23-2012 01:12 PM

Are we including the 4th being Letestu and the 5th being Wisniewski?

gojackets1 06-23-2012 01:12 PM

B. Love the new goalie depth, Dansk coming over to the CHL is great, Korpisalo looks to have great stats in his league, and he has size. Don't know much about the last 3 picks but Ill be interested to see Anderson step up next year, and some on the prospect board say that Curcuruto is a hell of a steal so a good draft for me.

Only reason it isnt an A imo is because we didnt draft any high end skill forwards, which we will need, sorry, NEED, after we trade Nash.

Im looking forward to seeing most of them at Dev Camp. :)

Hipster Letestu 06-23-2012 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mayor Bee (Post 51395367)

I graded solely based on draft picks

leesmith 06-23-2012 01:18 PM

I gave them a B. And a B is a MASSIVE improvement for this front office, so I'm not one bit unhappy about it.

They made the right choice at #2. They made a brilliant choice with Dansk Dansk Revolution because they didn't trade up to get the other two goalies, they waited and got the guy their goalie coach knew well. And they didn't burn the LA first round pick.

I would have given them a B+ if the option existed. An A would have meant trades were made to get us an additional pick in the first round to pick up a right winger who could play in the NHL within the next 2 years.

JrussJacket 06-23-2012 01:29 PM

I gave them a B.

I actually gotta give Howson and Co. some credit, I thought for sure the would flush the toilet yesterday or today. Thankfully, they picked up some nice talent for the future.

The more I read about Josh Anderson, the more I like him. I think he got more potential then most want to give him credit for.

wahsnairb 06-23-2012 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samkow (Post 51394679)
Taking out the lack of a Nash trade, which I had really hoped to see done this weekend:

B.

There's just not a ton to hate. Certainly not as exciting as it could have been, but that's not a bad thing.

this is about as close to what I would have said as possible

Xoggz22 06-23-2012 02:27 PM

Like the Murray pick, love Dansk and Korpisalo (not sure I'll ever spell it right) for Goaltender depth and future top end potential. I like the Anderson pick and am intrigued by Zaar and Curcuruto (is that a Phil Collins song?).

I gave them a B because I think there were potential other options that, on paper, may have been better targets for the CBJ. I really like Nieves (late 2nd to Rags) but if you add Bobrovsky, Letestu and Wiz in the mix for the picks we had I think the asset usage was very solid.

Nanabijou 06-23-2012 02:31 PM

Hate rating drafts right after they're done. If anyone wants to try and grade Howson's 2008 draft in a different thread, I'd be up for that, as I think you need at least 4 years to properly grade a draft.

All that said, I'm happy with Murray and Dansk. For the rest, I hope the roulette wheel lands on one of our numbers this year.

Feicht 06-23-2012 02:37 PM

I'm going with C+. I'm still not sold on the Murray pick, considering we have a desperate need for offense which was absolutely created by this front office's ineptitude. The goalies in 2nd and 3rd rounds are probably good pickups, though I'm not convinced we needed both of them. And the final two picks are good "project choices" that picks that late tend to be. So I'm not utterly disappointed, but not completely pleased either.

Sore Loser 06-23-2012 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mayor Bee (Post 51395367)

Negative, I was only factoring in moves actually made at the draft.

From my perspective, I could not be more excited to see Ryan Murray get drafted by this team. My preference would have been Galchenyuk, as I think he fills a deeper need, but Ryan Murray should be able to step into this lineup next year and make an immediate impact. And, if he goes back to junior for another year, I get the luxury of seeing him up close for another season, which is a real treat. The kid can flat out play, and he's the kind of guy that will be a winner wherever he goes.

For the selections of Dansk and Korpisalo, I think we definitely filled a huge void in our system. With the likely departure of Steve Mason (whether before or after this season), I think Sergei Bobrovsky fills an immediate need between the pipes, but is also young enough that he allows us to develop Dansk and Korpisalo (who were the #2 and #3 rated European goaltenders) correctly. We will need some kind of fill-gap for this year to split time with Bobrovsky, but I think that there are some great options out there (Backstrom, even though he is paid a ton; or Tim Thomas, should he decide to play once he's traded). I liked these picks, both of these guys project as starters if they are brought along properly.

Josh Anderson is a big winger that's good on the forecheck and hard to play against. I saw quite a bit of him at the Memorial Cup tournament, though he played a depth role. I thought he was very effective, and could be a good third/fourth line wing for us at some point down the road. He's certainly developing in the right program, as the Hunters are very good at developing this type of player.

I don't have a lot of notes on Daniel Zaar, but he looks to be a project pick with some good offensive upside. As for the Curcuruto pick; someone on the draft thread had mentioned a home run attempt, and that's a fair evaluation. These are fairly typical longshot 6th and 7th round players - great upside, but you have to hope for the best, and they are a long ways away from being players for us.

My overall grade: B+ ... we come out of the draft with three potential starting goalies, a potential #1 defenseman who will be a player for us no matter what, and a solid physical wing who has plenty of upside. Honestly, I truly believe that this will go down as our most successful draft in team history. Granted, it will be many years before we know either way. And, if we acquire a first round pick in the Rick Nash trade, we should have three first round picks next year in a very deep draft. Our prospect cupboard is going to be overflowing - something we have never been able to boast before.

I have a feeling Craig Patrick's hand played heavily into these decisions...

alphafox 06-23-2012 02:43 PM

Gave them a B. I like pretty much every pick, but there were a few opportunities that were left on the table. Trading back into the first round for Forsberg or Teuvo. Trading in the Second round to grab collberg. No problems with what they did, they just could have done more.

cbjfaninmo 06-23-2012 02:43 PM

It's hard to give a grade, but I would say I'm generally pleased. Glad to see Murray taken at #2 and continuing to build on the back end and also goalie depth addressed. As a side note, Feaster makes Howson look like an absolute genius...and is that ever hard to do.

JacketsFanWest 06-23-2012 03:44 PM

I give them a B+, mainly because it was a relatively safe, low-risk draft. It kind of lacks a little of the "wow" factor, but they got players who are going to help the team. I would have liked to have seen them walk away from the draft with a high-end defenseman, goalie and forward, and they missed out on the forward.

I really like the Korpisalo pick. They needed goalie depth. With York, Forsberg, Dansk and Korpisalo they have it. Korpisalo is like 160 lbs. He's a longer term project, but he has natural athleticism.

Dansk is a much safer pick. He's a solid goalie. He's a very personable young man, very mature and very well-spoken.

From first impressions, I didn't like the Anderson pick, but it all depends on his offensive potential. If he can develop into a potential 2nd liner, then great pick. If he's going to be a 4th line energy guy, then it was wasted like Dalton Smith. We have enough of these types of players.

Zaar is also a little mixed on the offensive potential category. Scouting reports have him as more of a defensive forward, but people look at his scoring from the Swedish junior league (that are very high scoring) and assume he's an offensive type winger. Looking at the situation with Zaar's organization in Sweden, he might be better off heading to the CHL where he would have more playing time and can adapt to NA style hockey.

Curcuruto seems like a solid 7th round pick, low risk, high reward.

Overall, would have liked to have seen a little more done to move up and get another pick to grab a forward, especially after all the trades that cost them picks. But, in 5 years, I think this will be seen as a successful draft. Murray and Dansk are very low risk players who can have a major impact on the team. I just wish they had done something to get a forward.

CBJBrassard16 06-23-2012 03:53 PM

C- , I liked what we did in the 2nd, 3rd, but thats really it.

chunkbox 06-23-2012 04:04 PM

solid B very happy with them drafting the players they did aside from a few digging for gold picks late ... would have liked to have seen at least one high talent winger drafted ...

LOVE getting 2 out the 3 top rated European goalies ...

and Murray will be a long term rock on our blue line hopefully for a decade or so

personally i was hoping we would have taken Gally , but given the CBJ draft curse i totally understand taking Murray

candyman82 06-23-2012 04:46 PM

I give it a B. We have who I considered the top goalie prospect, another goalie I was high on, and I am a big fan of the Ryan Murray pick. He may not have been the sexiest pick, but I think he was the right pick.

JacketsFanWest 06-23-2012 04:56 PM

More on Daniel Zaar

He's in the center (with Hampus Lindholm and Tobias Törnkvist)

http://hd.se/multimedia/dynamic/0069..._1_694069d.jpg

(In Swedish- http://hd.se/sport/2012/06/22/rogles...eta-infor-nhl/ - Just a pre-draft article about Zaar, Lindholm and Törnkvist being excited about the draft. All three started playing hockey together for Jonstorps IF)

Crede777 06-23-2012 05:27 PM

I give it a B.

Murray pick was a good one. As was Dansk. Korpisalo was a bit off but having two high-potential goalies is better than one. Can't really read too much into the depth picks.

Would have gotten an A had Howson traded someone like Methot for a decent pick / prospect that's a forward.

Roadman 06-23-2012 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crede777 (Post 51413693)
I give it a B.

Murray pick was a good one. As was Dansk. Korpisalo was a bit off but having two high-potential goalies is better than one. Can't really read too much into the depth picks.

Would have gotten an A had Howson traded someone like Methot for a decent pick / prospect that's a forward.

Would think if we're trading roster players it's going to be for roster players.

leesmith 06-23-2012 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadman (Post 51414579)
Would think if we're trading roster players it's going to be for roster players.

Quote:

@TSNBobMcKenzie Seems #CBJ's Methot would be a good fit in Edmonton. They have an excess in skilled forwards. Something around MPS?
MPS is MAGNUS PAAJARVI
http://oilers.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8475175
http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospect....htm?dpid=5671

It's really not a bad idea, but it would need a sweetener coming back to the CBJ. Either a roster player or a 2013 pick (bringing this back around to the draft). And as we know, Howson only does NHL trades with 5-6 teams and Edmonton is one of them.

Count the Cash 06-23-2012 06:47 PM

Solid B. Not flashy but greatly solidifies our back end.

Hopefully get to watch the "Dansk vs. Korpisalo Show" in the development camp scrimmage.